• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Not a big difference but definitely noticeable. It's a beautiful game and I'm sure that type of art style scales well.

It looks pretty dramatic to me, almost like the Switch version has HDR or at least amazing contrast by comparison. Of course, this is a comparison between two Youtube videos and the game is still in development so it's highly likely to be a very flawed one.

Try this, it's just the image but on gfycat https://gfycat.com/ScaredDeepDorking

Thanks, the difference is pretty noticeable, but maybe it's the time of day. Aren't the E3 Footage strangely low contrast though? Either way the game looks beautiful on Switch and Wii U. Also is the music at the start of the Switch video from the game? It starts as links hops on the horse. Does that mean that music will play while riding a horse?

G.ZZZ

The video looked much more clean and with way better lighting than old WiiU videos, but could be also a bit bullshotted since it shows no UI nor is shown to be actual footage on the console.

Looking at the shadows the time of the day is pretty similar, and if watch old WiiU videos with different time of day and you'll see the lighting is never as good as it looks there (imho).

Switch could also easily support HDR since it's probably Pascal (and even Maxwell support it anyway).

kizmah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4bgxiOnL8

In this video we get our best look at the creature on Death mountain yet. The creature is crawling around the mountain and can be seen throughout the video. It appears to be spider-like at first but I spotted an interesting detail. The creature has a tail that's looking a bit like that of a scorpion. See my image. In the first picture the creature is seen from the front, in the second it is walking on the front of the mountain and you can see the tail hanging behind. The tail is best seen in the third picture. The creature has just crawled behind the mountain but it's huge tail is still hanging behind. This is definitely not a guardian, and it doesn't seem to be a spider either. My guess is a huge scorpion-like creature.

zzH9xi1.png

Caelus

I know I'm late, but rewatching the Switch trailer, the beginning music is a subdued version of the Zelda main theme that starts playing when Link gets on Epona - possible overworld theme? :D

Mory Dunz

Footage of people playing that you see in trailers is never actually footage of those people playing.

My biggest surprise during this reveal has been the number of people on GAF who don't realize this lol.

Like, what if you have to do 2 takes. or 5? Or 10?
"Okay, give us a second. We have to reset the game/console,to get back to the exact seconds of gameplay that they want shown in this trailer. And make sure everything is perfectly aligned. Ok? ACTION!"

Of course they're not actually playing the game. Dang lol....

sanstesy

The footage from the Switch reveal video has sightly better lighting for the grass and a bit less fog, but it's possible that it's only like that because it showed a less intensive moment of gameplay with fewer enemies to render. It's also possible that it was just taken at a different time of day. So we aren't really sure if it is the NS version or not. I'll try to find the comparison picture.

Edit: the new footage is on the left, old footage on the right.

CIjsjG9.jpg

There is no difference that is apparent in this video. That lightning for the grass was there ever since the TGA footage and fog is purely dependent on the time of the day.

It's most likely still footage from the Wii U version as the NS version will probably be the last thing they will actually finish in relation to this game.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Guardians have tall bodies/heads and don't have what appears to be a tale here. Now this could be a different kind of guardian of course but it's not like the ones seen so far.
This is my opinion. It'll probably be one of the larger guardians you face.

RomanceDawn

I had never seen this video. It was kind of creepy just watching the time go by. I kept thinking I was seeing some sort of creature on the field hiding in the darkness after I saw the other thing crawling around death mountain.

In this video we get our best look at the creature on Death mountain yet. The creature is crawling around the mountain and can be seen throughout the video. It appears to be spider-like at first but I spotted an interesting detail. The creature has a tail that's looking a bit like that of a scorpion. See my image. In the first picture the creature is seen from the front, in the second it is walking on the front of the mountain and you can see the tail hanging behind. The tail is best seen in the third picture. The creature has just crawled behind the mountain but it's huge tail is still hanging behind. This is definitely not a guardian, and it doesn't seem to be a spider either. My guess is a huge scorpion-like creature.

zzH9xi1.png

Wow I think you're right. Since E3 I just kept assuming it was a super big guarding just because of all the legs. Though looking at it now, there really does appear to be a scorpions tail sticking up, I'd know that frightening shape anywhere.

Judging by it's silhouette as it crosses over the horizon it appears to have a flatter body more in line with a scorpion than the triangular pointy headed octopus things that have been attacking Link throughout the demo's trailers.

Man I hope Link gets some sort of flying steed in this game. I would love to fight that big creature while flying around the mountain avoiding it and volcano bursts at the same time.

Man I have not been this interested in a Zelda title ever!

Mediking

I trust Aonuma but I hope the story kicks up quick in the game. Gimme an interesting plot. We all know this is like... Wind Waker then Phantom Hourglass then Breath.

sinxtanx

zzH9xi1.png

Creepy but awesome.

Luigiv

The footage from the Switch reveal video has sightly better lighting for the grass and a bit less fog, but it's possible that it's only like that because it showed a less intensive moment of gameplay with fewer enemies to render. It's also possible that it was just taken at a different time of day. So we aren't really sure if it is the NS version or not. I'll try to find the comparison picture.

Edit: the new footage is on the left, old footage on the right.

CIjsjG9.jpg

I'd take that reveal trailer with a grain of salt. The trailer team clearly took liberties with colour saturation when editing the footage in, which seems to be the primary culprit for the reduced fog. I'd wait for direct feed screens/footage before trying to make any comparisons.

KooopaKid

Banned
Did the term intial target render not clue you in, plus they did this with skyward sword.

I don't think they ever said it was an initial target render.
They did the same with Skyward Sword? The first time they showed it was a gameplay demo live at E3 if I remember correctly.

Astral Dog

i like the Giant Goblin, this game is going to have big enemies, GoW style

Is there a chance the WiiU version will be scrapped and the game will come out on Switch exclusively?

Of course not, they already demoed on Wii U for E3 exclusively, are you hoping for this?

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I was pointed out that at the beginning of the Switch trailer, the violins we hear are actually playing the Zelda Main Theme, just a bit slower, like the Song of Time at the Temple of Time.

I hope that's the Overworld Theme.

Caelus

So I was pointed out that at the beginning of the Switch trailer, the violins we hear are actually playing the Zelda Main Theme, just a bit slower, like the Song of Time at the Temple of Time.

I hope that's the Overworld Theme.

It starts playing when Link gets on Epona, so I hope so.

KooopaKid

Banned
Save for Nintendo releasing bullshots of that trailer which were clearly not taken from the trailer with way worse image quality, the game looks roughly the same. This myth needs to die.

I don't think so. There's clearly not as many objects displayed on screen in the final game like rocks and so on.
Don't get me wrong, I still find the final game very pleasing but it's not on the level of the initial reveal IMO.

TheMoon

I don't think so. There's clearly not as many objects displayed on screen in the final game like rocks and so on.
Don't get me wrong, I still find the final game very pleasing but it's not on the level of the initial reveal IMO.

daaaaamn you have your copy already :O

sanstesy

Ehh? The only reason there are more rocks is because that area we haven't seen since has that many rocks, plus the cinematic camera angel off the landscape. More rocks in an area is irrelevant to performance anyway and what you should focus on is the draw distance detail, which was way worse back then and now looks way better even though this is supposed to be a "target render".

Even the bomb arrow explosions look the complete same as they do now. At that point in 2014 the game was clearly way past whatever inital target render they had.

LordKasual

Banned
The E3 2014 reveal?

ZeldaWiiU_1.jpg

Surely you didn't think the entire game would look this good running on the WiiU. I called BS the moment i saw that.

That said, the end result in the playable demo was so pleasing that this difference is negligible. I'm far more concerned about the framerate issues.

MomoQca

I trust Aonuma but I hope the story kicks up quick in the game. Gimme an interesting plot. We all know this is like... Wind Waker then Phantom Hourglass then Breath.

I dunno why, but this reminds me of Xenoblade X. It took awhile for that game to finally get a story trailer. Even with voice acting in, I get the feeling BotW isn't going to be heavy on the story. But I'd like to be wrong.

skypunch

Banned
I dunno why, but this reminds me of Xenoblade X. It took awhile for that game to finally get a story trailer. Even with voice acting in, I get the feeling BotW isn't going to be heavy on the story. But I'd like to be wrong.

The same feeling I get too.

KooopaKid

Banned
Ehh? The only reason there are more rocks is because that area we haven't seen since has that many rocks, plus the cinematic camera angel off the landscape. More rocks in an area is irrelevant to performance anyway and what you should focus on is the draw distance detail, which was way worse back then and now looks way better even though this is supposed to be a "target render".

Even the bomb arrow explosions look the complete same as they do now. At that point in 2014 the game was clearly way past whatever inital target render they had.

Agreed with the explosions, the grass, fog and fire effects.
I guess we'll see if that area is still in the final game, but that screenshot is a lot less empty and more varied (Different types of trees and flowers in a single area) than the footage shown where all the trees look almost identical for instance. That screenshot is more dense.

I went frame by frame through the choppy portion of the switch reveal, removed duplicate frames, and gave it a fixed framerate of 15fps.

Why do this? I wanted to see if any frame-time wonkyness appeared, which would imply that the game itself was chopping. But the result is a reasonably smooth 15fps with nothing weird that sticks out, which makes me now 99% certain that, yes, some poor trailer editor was given a second or so less of Zelda than they asked for.

Yeah that seems like the most likely scenario. It is still odd that it was used like that.
Also nice work. I knew someone would do that eventually.

Same. The world in Xenoblade X was great but the story suffered heavily. Still even without it the focus on one single character instead of a larger cast like in X may make it so it's not such a big issue/the possible "low" story doesn't feel that way.

LordKano

I would totally be okay with less story this time. What's nice with Xenoblade X is that the story don't interfere with your exploration, and that you could play like you want without being blocked by artifical walls because you had to make some progress in the story.

sanstesy

Agreed with the explosions, the grass, fog and fire effects.
I guess we'll see if that area is still in the final game, but that screenshot is a lot less empty and more varied (Different types of trees and flowers in a single area) than the footage shown where all the trees look almost identical for instance. That screenshot is more dense.

I think the camera angle and more "town"-like looking surroundings (which we haven't seen yet) makes you think that.

Talking graphically they are downright to the textures the same, though.

KooopaKid

Banned
I think the camera angle and more "town"-like looking surroundings (which we haven't seen yet) makes you think that.

Talking graphically they are downright to the textures the same, though.

Maybe. I hope you're right! The world feeling empty is my biggest worry for this game.

skypunch

Banned
I would totally be okay with less story this time. What's nice with Xenoblade X is that the story don't interfere with your exploration, and that you could play like you want without being blocked by artifical walls because you had to make some progress in the story.

Well, there were requirements you had to complete to continue the story and forced levelling for Affinity missions which both kind of sucked. I think XCX would have benefited from not having a main story since it was pretty weak anyway.

The game looks so crisp and the textures everywhere look amazing. The art style is absolutely gorgeous.

Astral Dog

Maybe. I hope you're right! The world feeling empty is my biggest worry for this game.

The World Will be Big and Empty, its a desolated post apocalyptic Hyrule filled with monsters, towns will be somewhere else.

but there will be lots of activities and mini dungeons to find if thats what you are asking

takriel

Oh it will feel empty if the Plateau is anything to go by. But the good thing is that this is actually part of the narrative. This is an old, abandoned Hyrule in ruins this time around. We might travel through time and see the places more alive in the latter parts of the game.

ika

ZeldaWiiU_1.jpg

A bit OT, but anyone knows where this place is in the map we know now? For the position of the twin peaks and death mountain I believe this area could be the far south-east on the map, near the coast and the big island...

Well, there were requirements you had to complete to continue the story and forced levelling for Affinity missions which both kind of sucked. I think XCX would have benefited from not having a main story since it was pretty weak anyway.

It'd be way worse to start a Story or Affinity mission just to realise one or two hours later that the final boss on the mission is 10+ levels above you and that you have to abandon the mission to levelling up and start over.

The same goes with presenting new characters o story plots with certain NPC or secondary characters. The requirements are a bit bothering but completely necessary if you want to tell a linear story in an open world game, and of course it's the best way to make level/difficulty progression with missions. Otherwise, you could do all Story Mission and obtain the Skell license at level 3 which is ridiculous.

In Zelda this could be done because the game systems are radically different, and apparently we should get different endings if we defeat Calamity Ganon from the start or after completing all dungeons, shrines, get the Master Sword and all the backstory.

TheMoon

ZeldaWiiU_1.jpg

A bit OT, but anyone knows where this place is in the map we know now? For the position of the twin peaks and death mountain I believe this area could be the far south-east on the map, near the coast and the big island...

don't open this can of worms again^^

I believe this has been fully discussed after E3.

Top Bottom