• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Incredibly Precise PS VR Tracking and Ace Banana

I just recorded and uploaded a 3 minute video taken from the demo of Ace Banana. The reason I bring it up is that across all the games I've played, Ace Banana, for whatever reason has hands down the absolute best tracking (of both the headset and controller). There's absolutely no wobble, and as you can see, it tracks the move controllers almost flawlessly, even when they're partially occluded. I have no idea how or why it works as well as it does.

I get wobble in every game... except this one. I don't understand why this is the case.

If it is indeed the case that there are game specific programming techniques that increase the fidelity of the motion tracking, then I sincerely hope Sony is paying attention to this and contacts these developers to find out what they are specifically doing.

If, however, it is the fact that simpler games require less overhead for graphics and can dedicate more resources for tracking then perhaps that bodes well for tracking fidelity being improved on PS4 Pro across all games.

So that's to use the headset on a Mac? I guess something like that is going to happen/happened for PC too?

Reading the Reddit thread it looks like it may be working on both PC and Mac. Not 100% sure though.

I was wondering if the Mac app the user created actually worked and was safe to use.

Taken from the PS4 Pro-thread:
"Battlezone just got a Pro patch.
- Full-complexity dynamic lighting in the cockpit
- Increased super-sampling resolution
- Increased resolution of screen-space reflections
- Improved clarity of particle effects across the game"

This is good news. I wasn't planning on the Pro but once I tried VR with vanilla PS4...well, these games need all the help they can get.

JSR_Cube

Further from the Battlezone patch notes:

"Also – with big thanks to you, the community, for providing us with such useful feedback – 1.02 will bring a number of improvements to in-game balance, focusing on the ‘EASY’ difficulty setting as well as minor performance and bug fixes. We’ll be continuing to listen very closely to you, the Battlezone fans, and will keeping seeking to make playing Battlezone the best experience it can be.

Which brings us nicely onto our last piece of news – and sorry, it’s a bit of a tease – but we can confirm there is FREE CAMPAIGN CONTENT in the works for Battlezone. So, please stay tuned to us here on the forums, and on Twitter and Facebook for more news when we have it. And thanks again for playing Battlezone – see you out there on the grid!

For more details see the patch notes below!"

Balancing changes
Defend and Convoy missions are more balanced
Difficulty randomization more even throughout campaign
Enemy rank scaling more balanced throughout campaign

Hopefully the balancing helps. This game is a lot of fun but it is hard!

"Also – with big thanks to you, the community, for providing us with such useful feedback – 1.02 will bring a number of improvements to in-game balance, focusing on the ‘EASY’ difficulty setting as well as minor performance and bug fixes. We’ll be continuing to listen very closely to you, the Battlezone fans, and will keeping seeking to make playing Battlezone the best experience it can be.
Wait a minute, so Battlezone devs are giving me a reason to buy a Pro and Battlezone itself?

ok fine!

I was waiting to see if they'd patch the difficulty. It was the only barrier for me. The demo is a blast, but I hate frustratingly hard games and roguelikes in general. If they can make easy mode actually easy and fun, I'll be way into it.

panda-zebra

Talked to the Dev on Twitter. The VR addon was rushed out but it needs a patch to make it work, which isn't up yet.

ah ffs, spent an age installing this, fiddling around with installing and re-installing the VR add-on, deleting my save game... ended up deleting and re-installing the whole game, at 20% on this pisspoor middle-of-nowhere connection... and it's broke and needs a fix /o\

From what I played of it in cinema mode, it seems it'll be a decent little pick up and play blast.

Glix

I just recorded and uploaded a 3 minute video taken from the demo of Ace Banana. The reason I bring it up is that across all the games I've played, Ace Banana, for whatever reason has hands down the absolute best tracking (of both the headset and controller). There's absolutely no wobble, and as you can see, it tracks the move controllers almost flawlessly, even when they're partially occluded. I have no idea how or why it works as well as it does.

I get wobble in every game... except this one. I don't understand why this is the case.

Earlier in the thread someone was raving about the tracking on their other release (the shooter)

Sony should buy the code and make it part of the devkit

Man, I had no interest in the Pro, but if this is going to be a thing for PSVR going forward I'll be buying one asap.

tr00per

Good to know. I would hope that VR devs are helping each other out with this new Frontier. I can appreciate solid move control tracking, your post makes me consider this game...

Can anyone play with zero drift? Or does it happen to everyone over time?

The only time I have drifting is when I occlude the headset and return to the safe zone, unless I'm misunderstanding or not sensitive to it. I have noticed that for some reason RIGS wants me to look right of Center

No wobble, no drift, my VR experience has been 100% perfect 100% of the time. I even moved it over to my gf's house for a party and we had no issues there either

Wollan

Here are the Battlezone 1.02 patch notes:
Cvyi79UWEAAyM6D.jpg:large
Easy should now be easier. /sigh-of-relief

Kyolux

Which brings us nicely onto our last piece of news – and sorry, it’s a bit of a tease – but we can confirm there is FREE CAMPAIGN CONTENT in the works for Battlezone. So, please stay tuned to us here on the forums, and on Twitter and Facebook for more news when we have it. And thanks again for playing Battlezone – see you out there on the grid!

Balancing changes

Well, I hadn't had much time for the game so far. I guess I can wait for 1.02 at the very least to get started. Edit2: It's out according to a PR email I just received?

Pixel Gear?

Tracking in that game is bananas!

I don't think that's them tho?

Yeah, I think it's the same chinese publisher, not the same dev?

They also released Weeping Doll today. I'm thinking of getting it too. But was hoping someone else would have some impression soon? Anyone wants to give it a try before me?

Edit: Also, my mom really loved Pixel Gear, and she's not a gamer at all.. at least not since the sega master days. But she loved Gangster Town back then, so I figured she would enjoy this.

Free campaign dlc kinda justifies the price point for me tbh. I'll probably grab it when I have more time.

The dynamic cockpit lighting will probably look real nice

Balancing changes

This is great news. I was staying away due to the difficulty, but I think I'll definitely take a hard look when I eventually get my PS VR.

antibolo

Banned

Increasing supersampling resolution sounds like it will be a really good thing for PSVR games under the Pro. A lot of PSVR games are jaggy as hell, which is not helped by the low resolution of the headset. Supersampling should at least help make that low resolution look less obvious.

The only time I have drifting is when I occlude the headset and return to the safe zone, unless I'm misunderstanding or not sensitive to it. I have noticed that for some reason RIGS wants me to look right of Center
That's what I'm talking about. Over time, instead of looking straight ahead, I end up having to angle my body and head to keep everything straight. Holding start doesn't correct it either. Rigs is the worst for this but I have this issue with every game.

Fantastic. I've been avoiding BZ and playing other games instead because it's so tough; it can be demoralizing.

CyberChulo

Fucking hell. I just went to the PSN store to see what's new and there's a new VR game called Weeping Doll. Anyone try this out yet? So many games yo....

Kyolux

Fucking hell. I just went to the PSN store to see what's new and there's a new VR game called Weeping Doll. Anyone try this out yet? So many games yo....

Yea I'm keen for some info on this. Anyone tried it yet?

Yeah, asked the same above. Been planning on getting this since it was announced a few months ago?

I'm getting it in a few hours if no one else says anything. Will report back for sure.

Also, BZ patch is out according to their PR.

Its annoying to see the lack VR game reviews.

I'd write reviews if I wasn't so busy with work, playing games and other stuff. Especially considering I play mostly the games no one talks about. :p

But if I have some time tomorrow, I guess I could post some quick overview of most games I've played enough to write about on my friend's (and mine too once upon a time) site and share it here.

I don't have a list with me of all I've bought, but which games were you looking for an impression on?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think pretty soon Sony needs to drop Vita games as Plus freebies and start giving away VR stuff.

El-Suave

Since people are talking about Ace Banana, Weeping Doll and Pixel Gear:
Easy Allies was at an event of the Chinese publisher that put them out and posted impressions.
http://youtu.be/G0_kq-9knic
Just impressions, no reviews or deep coverage but it's better than nothing for these games not many people are talking about.

New Rigs beat the dev event tomorrow night @ 10pm BST!

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/RIGS/Beat-The-Dev-10-28/m-p/24639264#M123

Badly timed dinner meant i only got 1 match in last time so deffo in for a proper session this time!

How did you do in that match? They were awesome against me. Holly G in particular was an animal and in one match scored 5 touchdowns!!

I missed the part where if we emailed we could play as a team. Wonder if it's worth creating team Gaf to try and take them down.

Kyolux

How are people liking SportsBar VR? It's one of the games I was thinking about picking up when my PSVr arrives in a few weeks

The game will only really shine once more people have it. It's more a social hangout than anything. Air hockey plays well if you don't get any lag. Pool I only messed around and didn't try to play seriously, Skee Ball is a nice distraction, but darts is kind of meh to play, even with the lock-on, half the time my dart lands on target, but it becomes "invisible" which is really unsatisfying.

I'm really hoping they add a ping pong table.

How did you do in that match? They were awesome against me. Holly G in particular was an animal and in one match scored 5 touchdowns!!

I missed the part where if we emailed we could play as a team. Wonder if it's being team Gaf to try and take them down.

Yea, sounds like a plan!

Played with oli, his home internet was shall we say...below par! Massive lag spikes, tho we did win. :)

Man look how smooth that is. Fix this shit Guerrilla!

I've slowed down my PSVR play recently because the Pro is right around the corner, I'm hoping when I return to it in full force in a couple of weeks that some miracle patch fixes this wobble/drift crap.

Oh and the way you ended that video. lol

Ozorov

JSBTl.gif

DukeBobby

Fuck Rush of Blood's final boss on Insane difficulty. What a badly designed piece of shit.

It doesn't help that I get so much wobble in this game. It messes with my aiming.

Pif

Banned

This reminds me of the old Wii days when no one could get IR pointer right.

Hopefully, every other dev takes notice of this. Great stuff.

PBY

Banned
I dont know what to think about the wobble anymore. I was pretty resigned to just waiting for psvr 2.0, because I just don't want to deal with jank, but reading these Ace Banana impressions is wild because that game was FUCKED on the GB stream.

Wonder if its less game to game, and more setup or what. Crazy.

Fuck Rush of Blood's final boss on Insane difficulty. What a badly designed piece of shit.

It doesn't help that I get so much wobble in this game. It messes with my aiming.

It took me about 15 attempts to nail that sob on insane. Great last level though. The sense of scale is astonishing and I was laughing my head off playing it

Shoeless

Yeah the difficulty spike for the final boss in Rush of Blood killed all the scares in the game for me. Everything was smooth sailing up until that point, and then once I hit the final boss, it stopped being a thrilling VR experience and just became tedious repetition, but with a headset on.

Anyone notice that PSVR Worlds is "missing" another experience. If you look around you in the menu are, each section has a statue. There is one statue missing though and it seems to have been broken or smashed.

I have a feeling that either A) There was another section at one time that was abandoned during dev or B) there is an unlockable section that no one has figured out how to unlock yet.

I have this weird feeling there is some easter egg to unlock in the main menu using the balls, specifically the dangerball which you can smash around the environment but sadly I have zero idea how to use it.
Perhaps a nod to the broken archstone in Demon's Souls? OMG, a VR Souls game is coming!
=P

DukeBobby

Yeah the difficulty spike for the final boss in Rush of Blood killed all the scares in the game for me. Everything was smooth sailing up until that point, and then once I hit the final boss, it stopped being a thrilling VR experience and just became tedious repetition, but with a headset on.

It makes me never want to try Psychotic difficulty, which I'm guessing is the same as Insane but you only have one life.

I know you can just upload your save to the cloud after every level, but it still seems like a lot of effort.

Balancing changes

Gawd dayum! This made my day! Pre-order already paid, can't wait for the Pro. Not interested in a 4K HDR set ( too expensive ) and tbh... all I'm interested in atm is supersampling for VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom