• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got the full game of Rush of Blood. Fun as hell with the occasional jumpscare. I hope there's a sequel or DLC, and a legit sequel to the main game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FTracking Observations
Before playing VR Worlds, I power cycled the PS4 and the PU. I've suffered from World Wobble since day one, and was pleased to see that when I started playing (beginning with Danger Ball, then London Heist) that the World Wobble was hugely reduced. Still there, but far, far less intense than usual.

However, by the time I started playing Scavenger's Odyssey, it began to creep back in. It was still less than usual, but it was noticeable.

As soon as I quit Scavenger's Odyssey, I launched Tethered, and noticed that the World Wobble had become quite pronounced. I just have no idea what's causing this. I'll experiment a bit more tonight with some more power cycling.
It's some kind of system-level software bug where something is not being cleared the way it should. It just gets worse and worse the more you play, and you pretty much should power cycle the console after every few hours of play at least, for best experience. They really need to patch that as it feels very 'beta release' due to that.

Ammogeddon

Just picked Tethered. I have never spent that much money on games in one month. Damn you PSVR!

Same here. The lower priced, shorter games are cumitively going to kill my bank account but they are just to appealing to miss. I'm taking my time with them and they are lasting me just as long as some normal games.

I think shorter, lower priced games have been a great idea for VR and I hope it continues. It does make me more mindful of the full priced games and I still haven't bought one yet.

farisr

The London Heist
Pretty much as expected. I think they probably showed off far too much of this during the build up to launch.
I wasn't expecting the shooting galleryies and the other sections of the game honestly so that was nice, but I was disappointed that the London Heist demo I tried out at the store pretty much gave away the entire chase. Thought it would go on for longer or involve more things happening in the full game but nope, pretty much only had like 30-45 seconds more in the full game.

Mezoly

Same here. The lower priced, shorter games are cumitively going to kill my bank account but they are just to appealing to miss. I'm taking my time with them and they are lasting me just as long as some normal games.

I think shorter, lower priced games have been a great idea for VR and I hope it continues. It does make me more mindful of the full priced games and I still haven't bought one yet.

I agree in regards to shorter, lower priced games. To me these became my vr killer apps. Just a lot of variety and awesome visuals that really shine in VR.

Holy shit at SuperHyperCube! Just bought it and the game is damn good and looks with it's Tron visual, super clean! Okay, it's 29,99 but it's really like fuckin Tetris in 3D! Gonna spend a lot of hours with this.

Angel_DvA

People are exited to try PSVR at PGW it seems...

O7kRelS.jpg

I keep reading about this spend 100$ get 15$ back on US PSN.
. I'm pretty sure I've spent over 100$ on PSVR games this month, how do I get the 15 back? Or check that I'm not just at 99$ spent our something ?

Holy shit at SuperHyperCube! Just bought it and the game is damn good and looks with it's Tron visual, super clean! Okay, it's 29,99 but it's really like fuckin Tetris in 3D! Gonna spend a lot of hours with this.

So happy you love it! I think it's easy to underestimate how mind blowing its visuals and sound are until you experience it in VR. You are rewarded with some beautiful changing visuals as you progress... It becomes an obsession chasing high scores, too.

Add me for some high score competition if you like! - Epcotman

. I'm pretty sure I've spent over 100$ on PSVR games this month, how do I get the 15 back? Or check that I'm not just at 99$ spent our something ?

To check, just go look at your email receipts, or log in to the store and choose purchase history. With previous promos they send a broadcast to your PS4 with a code to redeem, normally once the promotion has finished.

farisr

If you've spent $100 or more between October 4th and November 1st, you'll get a $15 PSN credit code near November 15th in an email/PSN message.

Chris_C

What is world wobble?

I almost feel as though if you don't know what it is, you shouldn't in case you have and just haven't noticed it.

Essentially, it's when the environment in VR pulses or wobbles in and out slightly. It was first brought to light in the initial Giant Bomb Pre-Launch stream. (Timestamp for when they first mention it)

It would seem not everyone suffers from this, or at least, most don't notice it. For me it's distracting, rather than sick-making, but Jeff, for instance (who generally has a strong VR stomach) absolutely couldn't handle it. The controller pulses in and out too. This isn't as bad as the world doing it though. It's especially noticeable in games which have things close to the player, like tables, chairs, the ground in Wayward Sky etc.

EDIT: I should add that one of the worst things about World Wobble is that it's started to affect me outside of VR. Occasionally I'll get the brief impression that my real world is wobbling. Last night as I went to sleep I actually felt World Wobble in my dream. It's wild.

EDIT 2: Here's another moment during the stream where Jeff notes World Wobble. (it's constant and does indeed seem to get worse as you play, though I'm going to try power cycling later today to see if that does indeed help alleviate the issue.)

To check, just go look at your email receipts, or log in to the store and choose purchase history. With previous promos they send a broadcast to your PS4 with a code to redeem, normally once the promotion has finished.

If you've spent $100 or more between October 4th and November 1st, you'll get a $15 PSN credit code near November 15th in an email/PSN message.

Thank you both, I'll check my history.

I thought maybe you got the 15 as soon as you went over 100, makes more sense now :)

Ok I've asked a couple of times in this thread but can't seem to get a reply. How about just telling me what you are using and if it works well with the VR headset on. Could really use some help on this please!

Turtle Beach 350 and Plantronics Rig4vr both sound decent and won't break the bank. Both fit exceptionally well with the VR headset.

My Sony Golds don't fit right with it and I discovered stress fractures in the band now because of that.

So happy you love it! I think it's easy to underestimate how mind blowing its visuals and sound are until you experience it in VR. You are rewarded with some beautiful changing visuals as you progress... It becomes an obsession chasing high scores, too.

Game is really fantastic! Thanks for recommending it. The changing visuals ans sounds really fantastic! Seems like a game of the future ;)

I'm gonna try to add you, I'm playing on my sons account now ( we are sharing the Plus account ).

Nothing like getting to the AI core in Battlezone without using a life and without buying any, only to lose your last life about 5 shots from destroying the core. I was like 10 seconds away from beating that damn campaign and made a bad turn face first into some heavy armor.

Man. I really want to play this on Easy but you don't unlock anything when you do so I'll just keep at it. Also want to run a full campaign with MP but I am OCD - I need to beat it at least once solo.

Moreche

Personally I think this is the magic of VR. It's so hard to describe to people how much better VR experiences are until you try them.
When I start to describe VR to friends who haven't tried it I go all giddy about the experiences.
I'm so hoping that Sony use their massive catalogue of games to go back and revisit some of them in VR. I can only imagine how Ico and SOTC would be in VR.

Kasei

My PS VR headset absolutely will not turn on unless I re-update the VR firmware every time I switch on my PS4. It's quite the inconvenience.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Slixshot

Banned

I agree, Steve! I see those leaderboards and I wanna be on top!

Add me on PSN if you want to expand your friends list with the game!

SlixShot

Nothing like getting to the AI core in Battlezone without using a life and without buying any, only to lose your last life about 5 shots from destroying the core. I was like 10 seconds away from beating that damn campaign and made a bad turn face first into some heavy armor.

Man. I really want to play this on Easy but you don't unlock anything when you do so I'll just keep at it. Also want to run a full campaign with MP but I am OCD - I need to beat it at least once solo.

I would be up for some Co Op once I beat it once too!!

Eighthours

SlixShot

How many people are on the worldwide leaderboards now? Last week it was only 100 or so, which is depressing but entirely the devs' fault for the relatively high price of the game, IMO. I hope it's doing better now, even though I think they've missed out on a whole bunch of cash because of the boneheaded pricing strategy. I'll certainly be buying it as soon as it's at the next price tier down, but I think many of those potential early sales - and certainly sales momentum - are lost forever.

My PS VR headset absolutely will not turn on unless I re-update the VR firmware every time I switch on my PS4. It's quite the inconvenience.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Huh? What do you mean re up the firmware? Like do a system restore?

The headset should turn on regardless of what firmware you have or what it's hooked up to. How long have you had it, how long has it been doing this and explain what you mean by updating firmware.

Slixshot

Banned
How many people are on the worldwide leaderboards now? Last week it was only 100 or so, which is depressing but entirely the devs' fault for the relatively high price of the game, IMO. I hope it's doing better now, even though I think they've missed out on a whole bunch of cash because of the boneheaded pricing strategy. I'll certainly be buying it as soon as it's at the next price tier down, but I think many of those potential early sales - and certainly sales momentum - are lost forever.

I played once and got to stage 2 and died immediately... I was number 2380 or something :)

SlixShot

I'll try to add you SlixShot ;) gonna ask my son tonight how that works. Playing on his plusaccount now ( we share the account ). I'll guess if you are looking for me on the rankings you have to scroll way down :) game is great but tough. At work atm and all is see are those cubes lol.

Are you guys letting kids under 12 play with vr?

I let my nice and nephew play. They are 8 and 9. They only played for small amount of time.

When my neice played I forgot to reset the floor on job simulator. Watching her trying to peek over the counter in the store clerk job was one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

gmoran

Finally picked up VR Worlds on the strength of the menu in the demo, and played through Part 1 of Scavenger's Odyssey. A few thoughts:

- I only completed part 1, but it's longer than I expected, I thought the game would be over when I finished part 1.
- It's a lot more fun than the videos make it seem, which appears to be a trend in VR, it's also wonderfully immersive. The sound design, contrast of being outside in a meteor storm and then the quiet, cavernous interiors of a derelict space hulk is fantastic.
- Graphics are just a tad muddier than the London Heist. It looks like it might not be native res, but I expect the Pro patch will help here.
- I was a bit worried about movement but surprisingly I was completely fine, even when I was jumping and twisting in weird ways that I thought would make me feel dizzy. I've never actually gotten sick playing VR, but I expected some intense dizzy spells watching footage. The only time I got dizzy was when I was circle strafing or rotating/pivoting the cockpit manually.
- Gameplay is simple, but the sense of wonder more than makes up for that. By the time I was done, I kinda wanted a full AAA treatment, with maybe a couple more mechanics layered on top to keep things fresh. Perhaps actually let you fully explore the exterior of derelicts, use a cutting torch to force entry at weak spots, find and mine minerals, refine them to upgrade your ship etc.

Danger Ball
This was a LOT more polished than I'd expected. It's good fun, but I really wish we could use the Moves as paddles. I badly want a table tennis game in VR!

The London Heist
Pretty much as expected. I think they probably showed off far too much of this during the build up to launch.

Tracking Observations
Before playing VR Worlds, I power cycled the PS4 and the PU. I've suffered from World Wobble since day one, and was pleased to see that when I started playing (beginning with Danger Ball, then London Heist) that the World Wobble was hugely reduced. Still there, but far, far less intense than usual.

However, by the time I started playing Scavenger's Odyssey, it began to creep back in. It was still less than usual, but it was noticeable.

As soon as I quit Scavenger's Odyssey, I launched Tethered, and noticed that the World Wobble had become quite pronounced. I just have no idea what's causing this. I'll experiment a bit more tonight with some more power cycling.

A few thoughts on Tethered.
Played through the tutorial and had a decent time. It seemed like things could get really hectic, which isn't really what I'm looking for in a God Game, but I'll play it some more. What bummed me out (and I knew this going in) was the lack of Move support. I wish you had the option to physically tether, or point at your Peeps. Having played the demo for O My Genesis, I really want that direct connection with my little peeps.

I just posted this in Reddit:

"The Wobble" I haven't heard that before but its very descriptive and accurate.

First up, I have few tracking issues, no drift, didn't see any tracking issues at all for 5 days except for occlusion issues (i.e. raise DS between HMD and camera)

But every now and then I get The Wobble. I've had this on 4 sessions now, out of about 30 play sessions in total. But I've noticed a pattern for me:

• It happens between a transition, either a change in location e.g. Battlezone from arena back to post arena cockpit, or from one game to another, or one demo to another
  • The change in tracking quality is abrupt: really good tracking in one environment, wobble affected tracking in another
  • Once The Wobble starts, tracking quality is poor, but is most apparent when looking in The Corners: Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, Bottom Right
  • For me the The Wobble is cured by either: turning off the HMD for 10 seconds, if that fails, restarting the PS4
  • Once its cured, I'm back to really good tracking again

As such it looks to me that The Wobble is primarily a software issue, i.e. the tracking systems data becomes bad

I'd be interested to know if any of this sounds familiar to anyone else?

after almost one week now i still had no issues with the tracking, drifting or wobble.
even batman was rock solid for me.
i didn't try out job simulator yet which a lot of people seem to have problems with.

No if you already have the base game you can play it in VR, the DLC is just Invasion mode. Yes it is actual VR.

That's great that they unlocked the regular game on VR without upgrading. Definitely want to check that out when I finally get mine. When are the darn Launch Bundles coming back? I can get things for a similar price at Best Buy with a bundle but I sacrifice Playstation VR Worlds, which I really would like to play through.

Kasei

Huh? What do you mean re up the firmware? Like do a system restore?

The headset should turn on regardless of what firmware you have or what it's hooked up to. How long have you had it, how long has it been doing this and explain what you mean by updating firmware.

Yes, it should turn on regardless of firmware, but it doesn't. That's the problem. This has happened from the very start, and I've owned the headset for less than a week.

My headset is entirely unresponsive unless I select the option to update the VR firmware to 2.00 in the PS4 menu, but specifically the offline update option. The PS4 recognises I have VR firmware 2.0 in this menu and throws back an error when I attempt to use the first option (You already have the latest firmware installed).

So the flow to get my headset working is:

All cables connected correctly > Turn on PS4 > Open the PS4 settings and navigate to Devices > Playstation VR > Playstation VR Software > Select 'Update Playstation VR Device Software (Offline)' > PS4 and TV flicker to black and the headset comes to life.

I need to repeat this every time I turn the console off. Any attempt to turn on the headset with the inline remote doesn't work until this happens, everything is connected correctly. It doesn't matter if it's plugged in directly to the processing unit or through the extension cable either.

Z3M0G

A buddy of mine told me that the most impressive thing he has done on PSVR so far was one of the 3-player games in Playroom VR... it's not the one where you are the large monster fighting the 4 controller players.

Anyone have any idea which one he is talking about?

I'll search for an overview / review video... Edit: Gameplay of all games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtcLq1tdMQ

Edit: He said it felt like a Mario party game...

Edit: Watching the vid, I like that it takes picture of the group after playing (the cat/mouse game at least)

Edit: LOLOL wtf is going on in this old west saloon game?? I assume other players are telling the VR player who he needs to shoot? This is hilariously charming!

Okada

Yes, it should turn on regardless of firmware, but it doesn't. That's the problem. This has happened from the very start, and I've owned the headset for less than a week.

My headset is entirely unresponsive unless I select the option to update the VR firmware to 2.00 in the PS4 menu, but specifically the offline update option. The PS4 recognises I have VR firmware 2.0 in this menu and throws back an error when I attempt to use the first option (You already have the latest firmware installed).

All cables connected correctly > Turn on PS4 > Open the PS4 settings and navigate to Devices > Playstation VR > Playstation VR Software > Select 'Update Playstation VR Device Software (Offline)' > PS4 and TV flicker to black and the headset comes to life.

I need to repeat this every time I turn the console off. Any attempt to turn on the headset with the inline remote don't work until this happens, everything is connected correctly. It doesn't matter if it's plugged in directly to the processing unit or through the extension cable either.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but you are turning the headset on using the button on the cable aren't you?

Edit - Never mind, I can't read.

I need to repeat this every time I turn the console off. Any attempt to turn on the headset with the inline remote don't work until this happens, everything is connected correctly. It doesn't matter if it's plugged in directly to the processing unit or through the extension cable either.
Exchange the unit. Could be an issue with your PS4 but that sounds unlikely. I wouldn't even try looking for a fix, just exchange the unit.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but you are turning the headset on using the button on the cable aren't you?
Last paragraph, second sentence.

boostron

Neo Member
Finally picked up VR Worlds on the strength of the menu in the demo, and played through Part 1 of Scavenger's Odyssey. A few thoughts:

- I only completed part 1, but it's longer than I expected, I thought the game would be over when I finished part 1.
- It's a lot more fun than the videos make it seem, which appears to be a trend in VR, it's also wonderfully immersive. The sound design, contrast of being outside in a meteor storm and then the quiet, cavernous interiors of a derelict space hulk is fantastic.
- Graphics are just a tad muddier than the London Heist. It looks like it might not be native res, but I expect the Pro patch will help here.
- I was a bit worried about movement but surprisingly I was completely fine, even when I was jumping and twisting in weird ways that I thought would make me feel dizzy. I've never actually gotten sick playing VR, but I expected some intense dizzy spells watching footage. The only time I got dizzy was when I was circle strafing or rotating/pivoting the cockpit manually.
- Gameplay is simple, but the sense of wonder more than makes up for that. By the time I was done, I kinda wanted a full AAA treatment, with maybe a couple more mechanics layered on top to keep things fresh. Perhaps actually let you fully explore the exterior of derelicts, use a cutting torch to force entry at weak spots, find and mine minerals, refine them to upgrade your ship etc.

Danger Ball
This was a LOT more polished than I'd expected. It's good fun, but I really wish we could use the Moves as paddles. I badly want a table tennis game in VR!

The London Heist

Tracking Observations

A few thoughts on Tethered.
Played through the tutorial and had a decent time. It seemed like things could get really hectic, which isn't really what I'm looking for in a God Game, but I'll play it some more. What bummed me out (and I knew this going in) was the lack of Move support. I wish you had the option to physically tether, or point at your Peeps. Having played the demo for O My Genesis, I really want that direct connection with my little peeps.

How far away are you from the camera?

A buddy of mine told me that the most impressive thing he has done on PSVR so far was one of the 3-player games in Playroom VR... it's not the one where you are the large monster fighting the 4 controller players.

Anyone have any idea which one he is talking about?

I'll search for an overview / review video... Edit: Gameplay of all games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtcLq1tdMQ

Edit: He said it felt like a Mario party game...

Edit: Watching the vid, I like that it takes picture of the group after playing (the cat/mouse game at least)

Maybe the Ghost game, although that's really just one playing and others helping tell where the ghosts are.

Kasei

Exchange the unit. Could be an issue with your PS4 but that sounds unlikely. I wouldn't even try looking for a fix, just exchange the unit.

I'm going to test my headset with another friend's PS4 and associated cabling/processing unit to see if this could potentially be resolved by reinitializing my PS4 (I'm not a fan of trying this speculatively, and it's unlikely to work).

Ultimately though yes, I expect I'm going to have to exchange it.

I was watching a bit of Batman VR on youtube to see if it was my sort of thing, still can't tell as I really don't have my eye in watching standard feeds if I'd enjoy it or not. Anyway back on point the set up of the game reminded me so much of old graphic adventure games, it reminded me more of Snatcher and Policenauts rather than Day of the Tentacle or The Secret of Monkey Island (though it would probably be perfect for those as well) there is so much possibility within that genre in VR.

somme

So I started playing Weeping Doll and I can't figure out how to get the key in the door! I'm holding it, am standing in front of the door and have tried all the buttons. The annoying woman just keeps telling me the key is under the plant pot. I know it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom