• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I've spent WAY too much on games this month but what the hell, think I will pick up Tethered tonight, just sounds really cool.

androvsky

I have the screen drifting to the left when n cinema mode. The headset lights are off so it's not the camera.
I'd really like to know why this happens.

I'm pretty sure cinema mode doesn't use the camera, which leaves the internal gyros. Gyros will drift, I'm not aware of any that don't. I'm actually rather impressed by how little these do drift honestly.

Of course using the camera could cut down on drift, but using the camera would require more processing from the PS4, and it's busy running Uncharted 4 or whatever for the cinema mode.

bumpkin

VR Worlds is a must have... very different experiences that make it very good showcase game.
Seconded. If I went by some of the reviews I wouldn't have gotten Worlds, but I am definitely glad I did. At a high level where it's a collection of short games it isn't worth 40 bucks, but the actual experiences inside have earned every cent for me, IMHO. I didn't have any expectations about stuff like Danger Ball or The London Heist, and those two have become the ones I keep going back to for more. I still go back and do the Ocean Descents because of how immersive and serene they are (until the shark attacks...). Awesome little package.

So what is the consensus on Rush of Blood? I enjoyed the demo, but the reviews talk about later stages having technical issues where the response using Move controllers suffers. Can anyone corroborate or are those reviewers probably the same ones that will fault The Last Guardian for "imprecise controls?"

DukeBobby

Just finished Here They Lie.

Man, I'm glad I took the plunge, despite the lukewarm reviews. It's a slow starter, but the second half of the game is full of memorable moments. The part in
the city with the animal headed people
was terrific and will surely go down as one of my gaming highlights of the year.

It has its problems, though. The blurry visuals are headache inducing, and there is a stealth section at the end that drags on for far too long. In fact, all of the stealth sections felt a bit unnecessary and detracted from the overall experience.

Horror games have a bright future in VR and this is a good first step.

My PlayStation VR just had its "Wii moment" at my place. I just had family round for my daughter's birthday. Finished the evening with my Mum (61), Sister, Brother-in-law and Nephew having an absolute riot on Playroom VR along with me and my kids.

That's at least 1 more PSVR on someone's Christmas list. My Mum described it as "unreal" Yet again, you have to try it to "get" it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
VR Worlds is absolutely NOT worth $40. London Heist and associated shooting galleries are the only compelling content on the disc, and it's incredibly short. They're all just tech demos that should have been included free with every PSVR like Playroom or the Demo Disc.

I have to disagree here.

Just being lowered in the cage and experiencing a deep dive is pretty stunning and nearly worth it alone. No other non-VR game can give you that experience.
Heck. Just standing at the menu battering the spinning ball about is plenty entertaining.

Scavengers Odyssey is a nice space romp if you have the VR legs for it and VR Luge is okay as an experience.
Danger Ball is great.

Also Ocean Descent is the first thing I show folks when they try the PSVR. It's simple. Starts off slowly and all they have to do is stand in awe at what's happening to them.

Mosse

Neo Member
Got tethered after reading all the great impressions. It looks amazing, controls great and is really fun. I've only played the tutorial (which took me about 30 min) and if the rest of the game is as good I could see it being one of my favourite vr games

spwolf

I have to disagree here.

Just being lowered in the cage and experiencing a deep dive is pretty stunning and nearly worth it alone. No other non-VR game can give you that experience.
Heck. Just standing at the menu battering the spinning ball about is plenty entertaining.

Scavengers Odyssey is a nice space romp if you have the VR legs for it and VR Luge is okay as an experience.
Danger Ball is great.

Also Ocean Descent is the first thing I show folks when they try the PSVR. It's simple. Starts off slowly and all they have to do is stand in awe at what's happening to them.

deep dive demo actually got me more into it than other games right now... it is just really cool experience and really easy to show to anyone.

Seconded. If I went by some of the reviews I wouldn't have gotten Worlds, but I am definitely glad I did. At a high level where it's a collection of short games it isn't worth 40 bucks, but the actual experiences inside have earned every cent for me, IMHO. I didn't have any expectations about stuff like Danger Ball or The London Heist, and those two have become the ones I keep going back to for more. I still go back and do the Ocean Descents because of how immersive and serene they are (until the shark attacks...). Awesome little package.

So what is the consensus on Rush of Blood? I enjoyed the demo, but the reviews talk about later stages having technical issues where the response using Move controllers suffers. Can anyone corroborate or are those reviewers probably the same ones that will fault The Last Guardian for "imprecise controls?"

I'm another fan of world's, it's the goto game to show off vr to new people :)

I've said it a few time in this thread but I experienced really bad glitches and stutters with the move controls in rush of blood, usually at the points where things get tense. These really soured the game for me until I did a complete power down and restart whereupon they worked near flawlessly and I breezed through the areas that'd been driving me up the wall. I can understand the less than stellar impressions some of the first reviews had if they had similar experiences to me when really the tech works very well.

Haines

Banned
has sony made any comment at all on tracking issues?

I would have assumed by now maybe some word on a patch or something

4thman

Neo Member
I finally tried Batman last night.....it was great and all, I played around in the main entrance area of the mansion for a bit....loved the Crime Alley scene.....but then "Drift" happened as I entered the Batcave.....FML....totally ruined that initial moment for me.....the Moves were all the way to my right and I couldnt get everything back til I actually had to turn off the PS4 and restart....not even just turning off the Headset worked....totally stuffed it...

Anyway, got back in and finally made it back into Gotham City when the baby started crying at midnight (poor little guy is getting his other teeth coming out)......yes FML indeed....gaming wise I mean, of course.....other than that.....Batman seems like a legit VR experience that Im pretty sure will last me longer than people are saying purely from taking in the sights...

Please Sony fix that Drift issue soon....

Kyolux

I'm buying two games this weekend. Tethered and (here they lie or the Brookhaven experiment?) Has anyone heard about weeping doll?

I'm picking up Weeping doll tomorrow. Same publisher as Ace Banana and Pixel Gear and they were both decent enough experiences.

has sony made any comment at all on tracking issues?

I would have assumed by now maybe some word on a patch or something

I don't know what a patch would do to fix anything, other than requiring some type of manual calibration every time you use the system. I think it's a limitation of the hardware. I personally have only had issues once or twice, and I think it had to do with the way the sun was shining into my living room. I think all tracking issues can be fixed manually if you mess around with it enough. Not sure what they could do software side.

Is it suggested to sit? Im assuming so, but i feel some would want you to stand.

To me sitting during the shark demo is taking away a huge part of the immersion. You can walk around the inside of the cage, lean over the edge, lean toward things to see them closer. Exploring the space is what made that demo seem cool to me.

I've already previously posted but Superhypercube is the only title that I dont think is worth the asking price. It should be $20 or $15. Wait for a sale.

I'd say that VRworlds is worth paying for. People tend to forget that there's various games in there that is a bit more. I really enjoy the disc.

Anyone else feel the PSVR is sort of an invasion of english game developers?

From many of the games - with their english disembodied voices, to the developer diary type video interviews, etc. It is like Sony allocated to the UK most of the heavy lifting.

Shoeless

Just finished Here They Lie.

Man, I'm glad I took the plunge, despite the lukewarm reviews. It's a slow starter, but the second half of the game is full of memorable moments. The part in
the city with the animal headed people
was terrific and will surely go down as one of my gaming highlights of the year.

How 'bout that
bizarre "2001: A Space Odyssey Stargate sequence" the game takes you through towards the end?
That's just about the trippiest thing I've experienced all year.

DjRalford

Headmaster is legitimately a game in my top 3 so far for PSVR.

Stop,,stop, i can't buy anymore games until Christmas is sorted, seriously the missus is going to kill me.

I'm happy with Playroom, Batman, & Tethered

On a more serious note............It's nice that theres so many good different types of games out, it's only been out 2 weeks and we're totally spoilt for choice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know what a patch would do to fix anything, other than requiring some type of manual calibration every time you use the system.
They need to fix the problem where the tracking wobble error accumulates the more you use the system, and the only fix is to power cycle the whole console. That's 100% software problem.

I have to disagree here.

Keep in mind that you can (partially) experience both those things from a demo. I do think the Worlds is pretty expensive, considering that two of its mini-games are not that great apparently (luge and that space one)

Thewonandonly

Damn Sony has a huge fucking hit hear I think.

Out of the 5 friend I have shown this too, 3 of them have gone out and bought themselves a unit. I don't know if I'm the exemption but it seems like this is going to have long legs when people keep showing their friends.

DukeBobby

How 'bout that
bizarre "2001: A Space Odyssey Stargate sequence" the game takes you through towards the end?
That's just about the trippiest thing I've experienced all year.

Yeah, that part was great as well. The game is certainly a feast for the eyes at times, despite the low res visuals.

bumpkin

I'm another fan of world's, it's the goto game to show off vr to new people :)
*high five*

I've said it a few time in this thread but I experienced really bad glitches and stutters with the move controls in rush of blood, usually at the points where things get tense. These really soured the game for me until I did a complete power down and restart whereupon they worked near flawlessly and I breezed through the areas that'd been driving me up the wall. I can understand the less than stellar impressions some of the first reviews had if they had similar experiences to me when really the tech works very well.
Thanks for the anecdote. It's interesting to hear that it happened one time and then didn't happen again after restarting things. Have you had many issues in general with jittering or getting mis-aligned or whatever like other posters have mentioned?

Rush of Blood is definitely on my short list. As far as physical games go, I only own PSVR Worlds and Batman right now. I've got Playroom VR digitally like everyone else too. It looks like Robinson is coming out on the 8th (I locked in a preorder with Amazon), that was the primary reason I wanted PSVR to start with. Love me some dinosaurs!

But yeah, a week or two in and I can't believe I was ever on the fence about getting the headset. I love playing it and honestly it's the first time in a while that I've been eager to get home from work so I can play something more. It gives me a sense of excitement that I haven't felt since the original Wii.

Fusebox

Banned
VR Worlds is absolutely NOT worth $40. London Heist and associated shooting galleries are the only compelling content on the disc, and it's incredibly short. They're all just tech demos that should have been included free with every PSVR like Playroom or the Demo Disc.

You're jaded bro, I'd pay $40 just to experience the intro to Worlds and dick around with the different balls.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to buying the Super Stardust Ultra VR upgrade. The new mode they added for VR is actually way cooler than the screenshots and videos made it seem. But what was surprising to me was the regular mode in VR.

It's like the sphere you play on is this giant planet in front of you and everything is very 3D. If you like Super Stardust already, definitely check it out in VR. It's only a $10 upgrade.

Fisty

Can someone help me in Until Dawn: Rush of Blood? I am missing 2 skittles (the little collectable things you shoot) in the Ghost Town level
Spiders

Anybody find them all that can think of any ones that I may have overlooked after playing the level like five times?

I finally got around to buying the Super Stardust Ultra VR upgrade. The new mode they added for VR is actually way cooler than the screenshots and videos made it seem. But what was surprising to me was the regular mode in VR.

It's like the sphere you play on is this giant planet in front of you and everything is very 3D. If you like Super Stardust already, definitely check it out in VR. It's only a $10 upgrade.

Thanks. Love the game. I had heard bad things about the VR expansion, but I'll probably pick it up eventually

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You're jaded bro, I'd pay $40 just to experience the intro to Worlds and dick around with the different balls.

That part is in the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom