• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyolux

I have to echo what others are saying about Tethered, it is my favorite PSVR experience so far. The game looks beautiful and the 3D is really nice. The little peeps are so adorable. It really makes me want a VR version on Don't Starve with the same style.

I'm already buying too many games man. I want to buy them all. But I thought I was safe passing on Tethered, wasn't a fan of the look of the creatures. And it's getting a bit expensive getting most $30+ games.

DjRalford

The binocular display in VR sets makes a very convincing 3D display, better than any flat 3D display like you would get in a theatre or TV. Close objects look absolutely touchable. Being able to lean in for a close look really helps the effect as well.

Yeah, its also suprising just how crisp the little models are when you lean in for a closer look.

Beautiful game which shows that a really good art style can truely bring VR alive.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Thoughts on Windlands? Think either that, Job Simulator, Thumper, Bound, Wayward Sky, Tethered, or VR Worlds next.

Fuck there's loads of games I want.

chippy13

It sounds really, and I mean really good if you have good pair of IEMs. And it's very much positional. no doubt about it. I could hear things behind me in the Kitchen demo for example.

Then again, if you have an earth shaking set of speakers, you won't regret hearing stuff over them either - and not all games rely that much on positional audio. Try and see what you prefer.

I have a 7.1 system set up where I use my psvr and it works well but still prefer using the headphones with the 3D audio. 7.1 is perfect for regular gaming on the TV but you have to really crank it up for it to match the 3D audio for VR imo.

Glix

I have a 7.1 system set up where I use my psvr and it works well but still prefer using the headphones with the 3D audio. 7.1 is perfect for regular gaming on the TV but you have to really crank it up for it to match the 3D audio for VR imo.

Can I use any headphones with the VR or do that have to support 3D audio?

chippy13

Can I use any headphones with the VR or do that have to support 3D audio?

Any headphones that you can plug into the PSVR will work. The 3D audio is done through the breakout box of the PSVR so you have to plug it in and not use a wireless set.

DjRalford

Thoughts on Windlands? Think either that, Job Simulator, Thumper, Bound, Wayward Sky, Tethered, or VR Worlds next.

I have to say Tethered, it is absolutly stunning, and thats from just playing the tutorial so far, it is by far one of the cleanest games in PSVR, i'm actually excited to see what advances pro can do to such an already good looking game.

Glix

Any headphones that you can plug into the PSVR will work. The 3D audio is done through the breakout box of the PSVR so you have to plug it in and not use a wireless set.

Alright awesome. I usually use the Playstation wired Silver headset and it sounds great but I don't like physical stuff about it (the ear things slide down when I move my head)

I tried using my Beats and it sounded weird, like it was just moving between L/R and not doing "3D". I could be wrong.

chippy13

Alright awesome. I usually use the Playstation wired Silver headset and it sounds great but I don't like physical stuff about it (the ear things slide down when I move my head)

I tried using my Beats and it sounded weird, like it was just moving between L/R and not doing "3D". I could be wrong.

I've been using either my golds or the earbuds that came with the PSVR. Golds have a better sound and are more comfortable but can get a little warm playing for extended periods of time.

Glix

I am here to tell you that Thumper and VR Worlds are totally worth it.

Thumper is an amazing rhythm game, that due to the inputs feels a lot like the original Bit Trip Runner rather than something like Guitar Hero. The visuals and sound are amazing.

VR worlds is the shit. The intro is even great, a really good VR showcase.

Power Ball or whatever it is called is the secret VR killer app, especially score attack. "Just one more run"

The underwater thing is beautiful. Its completely non interactive, but is my cup of tea.

The Heist is SO COOL. It does stuff that none of the other games do yet. Reloading clips and smoking cigars is just plain neat.

Street Luge is not great, but is more fun than I thought it would be based on impressions. It suffers from the same stuff as driveclub, when you try and focus on stuff coming at you from far it can be murky, but the game is active and fast and fun.

I haven't tried the outer space game yet because I just keep playing Power Ball.

Kyolux

You have 10% off with PS+ ;)

Not enough at that price to make me move.. it's still close to $40 in Maple Syrup money.

Windlands is a really cool experience. But only if you have super VR legs. Flying off like spider-man and wall jumping are really nice.

Job Simulator is fun to fuck around in. It's over really fast though but a neat game to show off to family and friends.

Wayward Sky is really cool too. Have yet to really put times into it though. Out of all these though, I would probably go with that as the safer bet.

VR worlds seems overpriced for the amount of content?

Prefer the earphone jack by far. I like the locked in feel in VR, the quality isn't as good as you get when the earphones are used with an amp though. When proper 3D audio is used it is much better and surround sound doesn't get close to replicating it especially when you have to move your head arounds lots. Though I have been unplugging the speakers from my 5.1 from time to time but keeping the sub on and placing it under my chair, bit of a faff to do but good for a bit of fun, works well with anything that has a bass hit like Driveclub.

antibolo

Banned
Anybody got Superhypercube? I was looking forward to this game, but the price seems so unreasonable for such a relatively simplistic game.

rcl66

The furthest I've got is about 7 hexes into an easy campaign. It's hard as fuck but I like that!! Here is what I have gauged so far: (if I'm wrong then someone please correct me)

That's helpful thanks. I just got about as far as you and died at a shield generator. Took forever to do damage and the game would spawn new. Issue towers constantly that I didn't see until they were destroying me.

Upgrading shields and buying lives seems to help the most so far.

Anybody got Superhypercube? I was looking forward to this game, but the price seems so unreasonable for such a relatively simplistic game.

Don't underestimate the quality of SHC because it seems like a simple puzzle game. It's my most played VR game, with the most perfect learning curve I've played. And the VR environment is absolutely stunning! Visuals and sound are meticulously designed.

It blew my friend's mind...
https://youtu.be/qPX7igHdeF4

chippy13

Prefer the earphone jack by far. I like the locked in feel in VR, the quality isn't as good as you get when the earphones are used with an amp though. When proper 3D audio is used it is much better and surround sound doesn't get close to replicating it especially when you have to move your head arounds lots. Though I have been unplugging the speakers from my 5.1 from time to time but keeping the sub on and placing it under my chair, bit of a faff to do but good for a bit of fun, works well with anything that has a bass hit like Driveclub.

I agree completely.

isucamper1

Neo Member
I'm considering returning my PSVR. If the thing had better tracking, I'd be willing to wait for the price of the software to come down, but as it is, the world wobble, drift, and mild motion sickness I've experienced combined with the relatively expensive 1-2 hour experiences aren't worth it to me.

Anybody know if I can take this back open box to Walmart without hassle?

Moreche

I consider myself past the honeymoon phase and I'm still loving PSVR.
I really do hope Sony and PSVR owners are in this for the long haul.
My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20 and I've owned nearly everything from that and for this is the third time I've felt like the first time I played Gorf on my Vic-20. The second time was playing GTA 3 on PS2.

That's helpful thanks. I just got about as far as you and died at a shield generator. Took forever to do damage and the game would spawn new. Issue towers constantly that I didn't see until they were destroying me.

Upgrading shields and buying lives seems to help the most so far.
Upgrade Magnet so you can pick up ammo and credits from farther away, Rear and maybe side shields since anything coming at you you can dodge and the best upgrade so far is active reload. Time the reload just right and you get a temporary damage boost. Also, Vampire is great. Recharges fast and let's you heal when you take out enemies. I get damn near the end on Normal solo. Would love to see how far I can get in a team.

Also, light tank, FTW. Nothing beats being able to zip around and dodge fast.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Anyone with kids realize they can't really play this without the other parent being home?

When I first got it, I was playing with it, with the intention of only playing it for a really brief period because I was testing something, while my wife was out and after my kids went to bed, and after I took it off I was surprised to see my daughter sitting next to me. She had come out, sat down next to me and was curious what I was doing since she hadn't really seen it before and I had no clue she was there at all. It's not like normal gaming at night where I'd be aware of my surroundings.

It's kind of scary how cut off from the world you can be. I'd have no clue if my kid was crying, hurt, if something caught on fire, etc.

This is some scary children of the corn type stuff right here! LOL!

antibolo

Banned
Don't underestimate the quality of SHC because it seems like a simple puzzle game. It's my most played VR game, with the most perfect learning curve I've played. And the VR environment is absolutely stunning! Visuals and sound are meticulously designed.

I don't doubt its quality. But there is a reasonable limit to how much money I am willing to spend on a simple-looking indie game.

And that's not to mention the fact that it has no demo. I refuse to buy any VR game without trying out a demo first, unless it's within impulse buy territory at least, which this game really isn't (case in point: I bought Gunjack because it was cheap enough).

Kyolux

Anyone with kids realize they can't really play this without the other parent being home?

When I first got it, I was playing with it, with the intention of only playing it for a really brief period because I was testing something, while my wife was out and after my kids went to bed, and after I took it off I was surprised to see my daughter sitting next to me. She had come out, sat down next to me and was curious what I was doing since she hadn't really seen it before and I had no clue she was there at all. It's not like normal gaming at night where I'd be aware of my surroundings.

It's kind of scary how cut off from the world you can be. I'd have no clue if my kid was crying, hurt, if something caught on fire, etc.

Not this. But last night when I got home, I tried Windlands which is a really bright outdoor type of setting, which matched the lighting outside when I started playing. 45 minutes later when I took it off, it was pitch black outside. That totally threw me off.

My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20 and I've owned nearly everything from that and for this is the third time I've felt like the first time I played Gorf on my Vic-20. The second time was playing GTA 3 on PS2.

Very much the same :)

I don't doubt its quality. But there is a reasonable limit to how much money I am willing to spend on a simple-looking indie game.

And that's not to mention the fact that it has no demo. I refuse to buy any VR game without trying out a demo first, unless it's within impulse buy territory at least, which this game really isn't (case in point: I bought Gunjack because it was cheap enough).

There's a demo of SuperHyperCube on the EU Store, if that helps. Personally, I feel it has been worth every penny.

Mokubba

So the game doesn't even demo that for you unless you go in and disable the option?

Unless I missed it in the tutorial then no but it does tell you about the comfort settings and how to enable them. I thought I did but all i did was enable ejecting but not being dropped back into the mech which is a lot of fun but not for everyone.

I still fully watch the intros for RIGS and PS VR Worlds.

I don't remember doing this for any other game so long after launch.

kyser73

Yup, exactly the same. I'm finding using my head for aiming/tracking transformative in my play, and as a result I'm playing better &I enjoying myself more.

Scavenger's Odyssey & Rez are really excellent examples of this - on a TV I know I'd struggle with aiming using a pad, but head tracking just makes it feel more natural.

Thanks for the vid and post. I was gonna wait for a sale, but the demo kept me coming back and watching this vid and some other ones I'm sure I'm gonna spend a lot of time with SHC. Loved this vid as well:

https://youtu.be/l2eovBHTsmk

Actually, looking behind me as the block went to the square and see it disappear when I first played the demo blew me away ( it was my first VR experience and therefore also very special )

Yousefb

I've had the PSVR for about a week now and I'm very glad I made this purchase. Although so far the only game I have actually bought is Batman. Im just squeezing out every last bit of enjoyment out of the demos (and there is surprisingly a lot of it) before I decide on what to buy. I think I will definitely get Thumper. But I'm also torn between Battlezone and EVE Valkyrie. BZ looks like a fun safe choice. EVE demo blew my mind but reviews mention stuff about microtransactions and online only mainly. Is that the case? Which of those two are worth the price?

I've had the PSVR for about a week now and I'm very glad I made this purchase. Although so far the only game I have actually bought is Batman. Im just squeezing out every last bit of enjoyment out of the demos (and there is surprisingly a lot of it) before I decide on what to buy. I think I will definitely get Thumper. But I'm also torn between Battlezone and EVE Valkyrie. BZ looks like a fun safe choice. EVE demo blew my mind but reviews mention stuff about microtransactions and online only mainly. Is that the case? Which of those two are worth the price?

Battlezone for sure. It's hard, good gameplay with plenty to do. No microtransactions, Co operative play if you fancy it and plenty of replayability. Well worth the price

My oldest son just send me a message that my new EDGE had arrived. There is a 15 pages special about PSVR and the PSVR glasses are on the cover ( nothing else apparantly ).

The article headline says:
Altered States
Sony is bringing fully fledged virtual reality to the mass market-and changing PlayStation forever

Wow...he's bringing the issue tomorrow, can't wait to read it.

My oldest son just send me a message that my new EDGE had arrived. There is a 15 pages special about PSVR and the PSVR glasses are on the cover ( nothing else apparantly ).

The article headline says:
Altered States
Sony is bringing fully fledged virtual reality to the mass market-and changing PlayStation forever

Wow...he's bringing the issue tomorrow, can't wait to read it.

There's some fascinating stuff about the design of PSVR in there. Like how they made sure that PSVR didn't SMELL of anything... as smells would induce nausea more quickly.

Reallink

Thumper is an amazing rhythm game, that due to the inputs feels a lot like the original Bit Trip Runner rather than something like Guitar Hero. The visuals and sound are amazing.

Power Ball or whatever it is called is the secret VR killer app, especially score attack. "Just one more run"

The underwater thing is beautiful. Its completely non interactive, but is my cup of tea.

The Heist is SO COOL. It does stuff that none of the other games do yet. Reloading clips and smoking cigars is just plain neat.

Street Luge is not great, but is more fun than I thought it would be based on impressions. It suffers from the same stuff as driveclub, when you try and focus on stuff coming at you from far it can be murky, but the game is active and fast and fun.

I haven't tried the outer space game yet because I just keep playing Power Ball.

VR Worlds is absolutely NOT worth $40. London Heist and associated shooting galleries are the only compelling content on the disc, and it's incredibly short. They're all just tech demos that should have been included free with every PSVR like Playroom or the Demo Disc.

RoyalFool

Banned
Finally tried Thumper, had seen it in action on a monitor and it just seemed incredibly simple and meh, so left the demo until last.

It's funny, because I've seen the argument in here before that it didn't need to be a VR game, but for me, it was that intangible sense of presence that made it go from being a rather generic rhythm action game to being one of the most immersive and trippy experiences I've had without breaking the law.

You not only lose all sense of your real surroundings, but after a while you lose all sense of self, the only thing in the entire universe is a shiny beetle and a pumping bass line. Such a good game to play / place to go after a stressy day at the office.

Wollan

Some impressions of VEV: Viva Ex Vivo:

I had no idea what this game was about prior besides that you're exploring blood on a microscopic level somehow (turns out blood is just one of multiple samples you do explore).

Basically you are controlling an advanced piece of lab technology: a small micro-organism, the VEV, that you will use to further study samples but from a microscopic 360degree perspective. The main gameplay aspect is to gather the most food particles (resulting in a high-score) while avoiding progressively nastier competition. The food will cling to your VEV unit and you consume it all with a button click. What you want to do is to stockpile as much as possible before consumption as this dictates your high-score (max amount consumed in a single moment). There's other balances to think about concerning food as you have an 'EMP' blast of sorts that will chase away competition (but reduce your food/energy) and similarly exploration and acrobatics in general. Enemies will try to steal your food or consume you entirely.

Some random notes:
  • Someone really loves biology out there: Likely made by people with a degree in the field. Ultimately I also think this will the niche that get's the most out of this.
  • I like the initial grad-lab which functions as the games hub though it could need some detail. Some funny notes and details (i.e post-it-note on the back of the chair) and hints of the stressful life of a graduate.
  • A recurring challenge with the VR update of VEV is that 50% of the text in the game now utilizes too small a font. It's readable (with the except of a few sticker notes) but it's very badly anti-aliased. And this game presents you with walls of text.
  • The music is nicely quaint and enjoyable.
  • I suggest turning VR camera speed to High as the default Slow is in my experience quite uncomfortable (slowly scrolling 360 world cam), working against its intention.
  • The first level (water sample) was confusing to me as I had no idea what my aim was in a relatively huge and empty space with a seemingly non-interactive water-bear (Tardigrade) floating around. After restarting the level a few times I just decided to move onto the next level as four of them are unlocked initially. First level was also graphically unimpressive so not the best of starts.
  • It was not before playing level 2 a bit (soil sample) where food resources was more common that I started to grasp what this game was all about (even though I did read through all the lab/tutorial text prior the heavy terminology left me a bit confused). A lot of interesting organisms with different behavior and combined with the music (and improved visuals) I was enjoying myself for some moments.
  • The 1000 pJ (high-score) needed for each level to unlock the next sample seems harsh.
  • Progressively the levels become more visually interesting as it kept going with Blood and Spinal Fluid samples and these having some very nasty predators that gave me a flashback to the movie Innerspace.
Do you like biology and microscopes?
Then the measly $5 will give you a couple of hours of interesting exploration.
It's not my main interest but I could definitely see myself looking past the rough aspects of this game if it was about a field I'm deeply into. VEV really nerds out on micro-biology.

GzdKxVzIy5krNfTsCeqhiPU9KAYD1NhVq7mLnsm6Y81Krk4wQ44k66h1jSn8QHz3MXnhOt1qKcXlyUwiTwk4Bx0hlXLgddxK3_Q5zBJwZpsfib9BMpOjl2yUT6oESbdtzOcaKtf4CTPdyTd8CRGGieQZLOtCOqD-rPOmYKvNuBZMb6bbtNebZSGQdxl80tPmWrOqQyQtYhSUzRvIG_PlgkUBaY_7gnVPdE5KtDirCO2hKeYqYVfiFBrdl9oPk3_qXkqeAj98gKc2mibl06YsjH43xWUCHRLsnvXcedYAcDeTL84jpZP6aVjNzxtpT8UcmTXc6BRsimIt--rrVR7QIbLLPwHPybDwjxbhG4W8pPT-dniQCkwVKWDcIhJ5l9QfUMP2IrlBc7LuT8ygcQ_raWEMH-weVqUWtz3k5XQfm5wgYZGk0kWkCFKJbRM4_4u3onNTs5wZCUa-korEUMn1SCTDeUbAUtkjXr4CavCrMV7qSr-cnrUT7ZUj7D7D1sRKLQy-Pn3NtQF3G7u8_5yWS-hOJJgOuMZzYeyGZThWhhYyJ5QEyC5Gt5NXaqaLFt5yJpnnTvamg0qUMoIrMm0jNgC705-hm8JyPU857B44FLYp5smEHw=w960-h720-no

pCuYmHjQu53eFtgAnbQctwkGQKx8caNCXrdUMbIKSKUK28TQM4U1wp7AFX-iR1PLOHHY6bFURvPA4cOP1tTlqiA7GmLwg_l6fJaA5t_Q-Ozj9-nguxvEP-c8MDPlG5obfm3ky8jEYTt4370HiRCO99hu0lDrBx3fx74NCprknpdO0Lk7rJBkEHRaSFtdHaRJ_3LEoXghbMLyJm3BBGovwUMV5crq27kcWX9gLsB5HUD_ytd1O7K6wFmRlef5QFacDFEp3vqt25Q_ijSO7PAv0VsiL4_go2KIytaeQwYw_uF28Sd3Q07nTmDCBwgvK3rxzauJA_p7J1cQFE6Cob6Miik7ocqs4Ic-m5EBHC3vWJDpFqHt5QFbzojL5W79SidS_nTiIcf2KLcZll7CgtYH9YwhXF523CNr1s9R8AEjBEWwW2Uae8CFNHxIjLSzwC4rlXNmfzpsvdACUVtqSeq5jQaHmVkrTmf7b1k8931ETQQx-8euZ-xZTIlCo3pvhtFGAzPv6ZGfpVv6lxTissAteUCgY7y3FrPAAQNYelvj6TxTin3sM2DvbOwBmbrEmHx525tu-uE-qQHuS4rrY3Syjvl4_11WsYZma5T-982UdCfN2ivqHA=w960-h720-no

cgyOjQFRKwBQmvFv66_frxmLWKoEg0b6jKl_v5yaLAQtuLe2PKO41soK0yRVjWgQjxMOtjDOfaYC7pRPhWTgvILC_YQAYRGDjPZZV2YxNIedBpb_rH7aaPFUfRK0S_PRZosKMStR8JiLIMgRmysGWq1RXbgPIhqoY8Q66eq7MLhv6Q_wtWBgAQMILo_BBCDieEbCCLM3KIhEeOwkZ7idyrUhWrt5G-iT8cW1-qlevwoJimtImAFeHirjsHhgrtU578Ui1q-xEwDoQ3Q6CybAylJ-pFi--pA36QuuTqRPs0JkaQHrbwIuhX0ZuRvBvWoiZCa0RRlW2lXa8JnjM2RESyDDkYo_MZ_v9amP04ZpHFwYWdGGzb_EBBYL6KA_7hY8Hbu0iUZ9g_IM7ozKJZJlKOgzAthRvvBiGCl1x0wHIL-eLiDZHO3uN2e_cBOk9j0rXHVl-fYCZ4Gvyxiz41Qr6d9J9ab28m4xZ7SrIpgZX2dp2vH1YwB_kTeqTIAwHxTF0_ZC1fil5GXzBSTFve96kzxOinwSmsIzlXJ3qQj6WEAcJeAVcTrOeVksm7dseIdfPMizdkrLotrwcOxwCSp3l7Yl_lxh0Pik4RmN5xno0lnMHoae4g=w960-h720-no

2yD7D389KfSWHIykL9aHumbd9rM5CSpB6GAv99EWZz2qdaVX8XSvkph2A0pMqxmlZmlJ1UG_5-Oqn2cOessEZAtcE1ghfMOpS33LWut9Gtw0oNsIqYpb6QnI-wzs0iT83ei_M-a9dVvtvH2AYDF-_yDMEn6-AV2Pk6jB4rvzgmVO1tqXtNYxeKP14Ow4ud2vLPF5KgNqoUFK7Arnd4G3PQICibUnzFTEvV2b4hz8p6uP3HU-mIVHcAo8iYKLFOw1D6g9ZGPHJPUaQoT9jG4acQIzkg5C_MwnHyPMwiSwAO3oUBKhCHrrI8dcyntaWrasx--OeI8E5U63Idq54sKjkOxY3m8SjKFaSY1o0gbc_gwaqfKz2IYZwxZC6Da4i1k7GB98Ai8YxepqZOSPo8at9WlCI4mb5zykCAdvKr1kfx-Ix5ifJ_A6mTIa6p8bjK0hJ1E-ZIh4vS7me0qfxfjhDBncabc1Ahi6z7mAFh4VkWv-N3S8eh4y9nO6dK5rWhlpKcK_EC6TyEVEz1zaQCKrm-4e5gzVHSoCfKtqfMqHH_zykoXDpIa7gCzrc7PLBkCvcT1iP0CD2_J6qmoaUrGnSp2U8oKJa7F7paZdxalaDH5KvU0Tiw=w960-h720-no

Moreche

I have the screen drifting to the left when n cinema mode. The headset lights are off so it's not the camera.
I'd really like to know why this happens.

spwolf

VR Worlds is a must have... very different experiences that make it very good showcase game.

Some impressions of VEV: Viva Ex Vivo:

I had no idea what this game was about prior besides that you're exploring blood on a microscopic level somehow (turns out blood is just one of multiple samples you do explore).

Do you like biology and microscopes?
Then the measly $5 will give you a couple of hours of interesting exploration.
It's not my main interest but I could definitely see myself looking past the rough aspects of this game if it was about a field I'm deeply into. VEV really nerds out on micro-biology.

Great review, do you realise that the game is made by two GAFers? M0dus and I believe his wife? They also make amazing PS4 themes so check those out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom