• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Zophar

I'm fucking pisssssseddddddd

Trying to play the Dawnguard quest on PS4, and I discovered the Castle ages ago. When I meet Serana and try to enter the castle though, it never triggers the dialogue to open the gate. Apparently this is an old glitch that was never fixed and it has to do with discovering the castle before starting the quest. Now I can't complete the quest OR discharge Serana without rolling back maybe 12 hours of game time.

Fuck this. I feel like I have a $60 paperweight now.

edit: fixed it using the wooden plate glitch, but Jesus Bethesda. Get your shit together.

daman824

If you have both an Xbox one and a ps4, the choice is easy as of which console version to buy.

I really, really, reeeeally hope sony comes around on this soon. There are just so many big mods that can never come to ps4

If you have both an Xbox one and a ps4, the choice is easy as of which console version to buy.

I really, really, reeeeally hope sony comes around on this soon. There are just so many big mods that can never come to ps4

The choice is easy . . . if you want to play in 4K, go PS4.

GHG

PS4 Pro but yeah.

I don't have much interest in mods, at least not in a game like this.

Will Skywind come to xbox? That would make me pick that version if I could.

Firstly Skywind is currently only using vanilla Skyrim.

Secondly there is a total storage limit of 5GB for mods on the xbox one.

Oh and it requires SKSE.

shermas

So... I just downloaded and I'm playing on xbone. Can I resize the display? Some of the text on the side of my screen is cut off and I can't find an option to re-center or move the image around? I feel like this has been an option on games since forever... What am I missing?

I will wait for script extended to be released and then I will install the latest mods; it sucks because I had to uninstall and re-install all the mods back to old Skyrim the last time I played the game. Save files didn't work but I have non-modded ones; I didn't progress that far when I transferred the PS3 save files back then.

Chumley

Banned
Firstly Skywind is currently only using vanilla Skyrim.

Secondly there is a total storage limit of 5GB for mods on the xbox one.

Oh and it requires SKSE.

Skywind and Enderal will almost certainly be ported to SE. Word I'm hearing from Mod Makers is that the process is actually pretty easy. A lot of OG texture mods even work fine without any porting necessary, there's just some weird specularity issue on some landscapes.

DOWN

Banned
So... I just downloaded and I'm playing on xbone. Can I resize the display? Some of the text on the side of my screen is cut off and I can't find an option to re-center or move the image around? I feel like this has been an option on games since forever... What am I missing?
Your TV is over scanning. Go to your TVs ratio/ Pictur Size setting and change it from 16:9 to Screen-Fit or Native. That will give you the complete image.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Play it on a high end gaming PC and you can never go back to consoles. I just tried and I literally couldn't get past how badly it ran on ps4.

I guess it's just all subjective. Played Skyrim on PC in 2012 heavily modded, so I can compare versions. Of course PC always gonna be steps ahead graphical wise and have the bigger community for mods, other then that it's whats more preferable.
To say it runs badly it's just not true, I think it looks and plays great actually. PS4 version is like PC vanilla version but more colorful.

Havent read the whole thread....are there detailed PS4 impressions anywhere here or on other sites?

I played like 3-4 hours now and I think it runs very well on PS4. No glitch or bugs encountered. It feels smooth and seems to keep a constant framerate. As other here also mentioned is that DOF is better and it's more colorful, which adds to more immersion, it's not the grey mass i remembered from the vanilla game. Haven't played for so long, but another thing i noticed is that fire and ice effects looks far more better. Character models is outdated though, but they never looked good honestly. Could use something like SkyUI (GUI mod) also, hope this mod is created for PS4.

shermas

Your TV is over scanning. Go to your TVs ratio/ Pictur Size setting and change it from 16:9 to Screen-Fit or Native. That will give you the complete image.

No other content (video games) or live TV has this issue, though... seems to only happen with Skyrim.

No other content (video games) or live TV has this issue, though... seems to only happen with Skyrim.

Do you think it might have something to do with the game UI assuming no overscan and putting things right at the edge compared to the original? Noticed that they get close to the edges, almost dangerously so on my PC monitor on the PC version

I asked the same question earlier, PS4 for me. Tried every setting on my TV, same shit.

Talka

Just downloaded this for Xbox One. If you quickly pan left or right, the FPS drops and you get some sort of tearing or blurring on the sides of the screen. Looks terrible and makes me nauseous. Is this normal?

Also having problems with the display sizing. Need to go through my TV settings and try a different aspect ratio, I guess. Never had this problem with anything else, though.

Karak

Just downloaded this for Xbox One. If you quickly pan left or right, the FPS drops and you get some sort of tearing or blurring on the sides of the screen. Looks terrible and makes me nauseous. Is this normal?

Also having problems with the display sizing. Need to go through my TV settings and try a different aspect ratio, I guess. Never had this problem with anything else, though.

Not much of that for me no.
Man checked out the audio issues and ya god damned. Its not even a fix they need. It is a reason they thought it would be acceptable at all lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well they were going to cut your head in the name of the Empire.

Not exactly the best way to introduce your cause to someone i guess...

the devs probably knew if they introduce you willy nilly and took your time in the game, you'll realize Stormcloaks are dumb, racists, and gullible so they made sure you were given a biased start :p

DOWN

Banned
Do you think it might have something to do with the game UI assuming no overscan and putting things right at the edge compared to the original? Noticed that they get close to the edges, almost dangerously so on my PC monitor on the PC version

I asked the same question earlier, PS4 for me. Tried every setting on my TV, same shit.

It's an overscan thing. The game was made assuming you'd turn it off, but not all TVs allow that which is dumb in itself, but Bethesda also should have made it adjustable and apparently didn't think people would be unable to turn off the overscan.

Eusis

It's an overscan thing. The game was made assuming you'd turn it off, but not all TVs allow that which is dumb in itself, but Bethesda also should have made it adjustable and apparently didn't think people would be unable to turn off the overscan.
I'm pretty sure the PS4 has overscan options on a system level, doesn't the XB1? That would let them safely assume otherwise, in that if you have a problem you can have your system fix it for all games period.

The fucking Wii U does this anyway, the PS4 and XB1 have to do it too, right?

wig

I had the same issue. I had to go into my tv settings and select the automatic aspect ratio option. If you use the Xbox's hd tv calibration tool in the settings menu, it helps you select the correct aspect ratio.

The Dude

Running this on my epson 5040ub and it is glorious my friends. Running with a paladin type this run thru.. I just find skyrim and ES games in general so relaxing and enjoyable to sink into. They have their flaws but there is something about the series that just draws you in like no other. Amazing game, was great to get the special edition free on steam

Unai

Skywind and Enderal will almost certainly be ported to SE. Word I'm hearing from Mod Makers is that the process is actually pretty easy. A lot of OG texture mods even work fine without any porting necessary, there's just some weird specularity issue on some landscapes.

Mods in general as easy to be ported, but the big problem is SKSE, so I wouldn't be so sure that we will see Skywind and Enderal converted to the special edition. As of now, we have no idea about when/if there will be a SKSE for the special edition. The script extender for fallout 4 doesn't even allow scripts yet! If this one is as difficult as that, it will take a very, very long time until this big mods can be ported.

I really hope I'm wrong, though.

Mods in general as easy to be ported, but the big problem is SKSE, so I wouldn't be so sure that we will see Skywind and Enderal converted to the special edition. As of now, we have no idea about when/if there will be a SKSE for the special edition. The script extender for fallout 4 doesn't even allow scripts yet! If this one is as difficult as that, it will take a very, very long time until this big mods can be ported.

We know it certainly *will* happen as the team are currently working on it. The timeframe is the unknown

That's the latest update from them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5a1bh8/pc_official_skse64_thread/

Invest in Alteration. The ____flesh spells (Oak, Stone, etc) give you great armor boosts in combat.

Thanks for the tip I will look into Alteration.

Anyone having screen clip problems.. I turned my TV aspect ratio to "just scan" and realised even my live TV has been slightly clipped lol, it was on 16:9 before I changed it.

Staf

Hmm, is it true that i should aim to do Dawnguard as soon as possible to avoid non-essential NPC being murdered by vampires? That sucks if so...

DOWN

Banned
Thanks for the tip I will look into Alteration.

Anyone having screen clip problems.. I turned my TV aspect ratio to "just scan" and realised even my live TV has been slightly clipped lol, it was on 16:9 before I changed it.
Its kind of sad to me that people have been unaware of this for years and losing the native clarity and complete images from their media... It's been a setting you should be fixing since the dawn of HDTVs lol

Chumley

Banned

I had no idea F4SE still wasn't working, that's bizarre. I'd think they could get this one running pretty quickly.

Jack cw

Are there any mods on the xbone that improve Image quality? That would make me switch.

Its kind of sad to me that people have been unaware of this for years and losing the native clarity and complete images from their media... It's been a setting you should be fixing since the dawn of HDTVs lol

To be fair it's a new TV and on Live TV it was barely noticeable, I've only owned my XB1S for a week.

Truant

CTDs.

CTDs everywhere.

What mods are you using? I got my first CTD last night. Using the nVidia drivers that came just before the Skyrim ones.

I have Unofficial Patch, Open Cities, Marco's Leveled Lists, Cutting Room Floor, Alternate Start, and a few other non intrusive ones.

I suspect the Unofficial Patch is causing some issues. I get a lot of Z-fighting around Whiterun as well.

Maddness

I didn't finish this game the first time it came out for PC. So I thought I'd actually go through it this time again since I got the SE edition for having everything.

Enjoying it and I kept thinking to myself "I remember enjoying this before too, why did I never finish it?"

Then I talk to 1 person and 20 hours of game play later I haven't even visited the old dudes who teach you about yelling and I'm already a life time of side quests deep and lvl 16. I now remember why I didn't finish it before. I just kept falling too far into the world and I couldn't find my way back out again.

Vitten

How are the load times on PS4 when exiting/entering an area or using fasttravel ?
Much faster than PS3 I hope ? That was one of my major gripes with the game.

We know it certainly *will* happen as the team are currently working on it. The timeframe is the unknown

For console it might not be possible though. Enderal uses SKSE, which isn't a typical mod. It's more like a hack, adding further functionality to the game's engine. It's impossible to run Enderal without SKSE at the moment, and it's impossible to get SKSE on consoles. Presumably Skywind also shares that SKSE requirement.

Unless Enderal and Skywind teams rework their mods to not require SKSE, which would be a lot of work, likely requiring the removal of some features entirely, they won't be available on console.

What mods are you using? I got my first CTD last night. Using the nVidia drivers that came just before the Skyrim ones.

I have Unofficial Patch, Open Cities, Marco's Leveled Lists, Cutting Room Floor, Alternate Start, and a few other non intrusive ones.

I suspect the Unofficial Patch is causing some issues. I get a lot of Z-fighting around Whiterun as well.

Yeah, the unofficial patch is still causing a lot of issues. I've found that moving it up in my load order helped, it's the first mod to load after Campfire now.

Staf

Oh no... First quest related NPC fallen victim to the vampires. Sven from Riverwood, and i never did do his quest...

Terrorblot

So this happens to me everytime I enter Whiterun, no mods enabled, i7 6700 / GTX 1080:
901D8F071B20CCCD0B3AE649BE5FCBDC6CBFC260

I also had an instance where I was swimming in the lake near Riften and a t-posing moose motorboated past me at breakneck speed.

The unofficial patch need to be loaded before all other mods.

Yep, but Campfire is an .esm so that'll always load first. The game will also put a few other mods in front of it if you don't touch your load order at all. USP used to be an .esm as well, but they changed it to an .esp for some reason.

Needless to say, it doesn't fix all the issues (the Z-fighting in particular is still there), but at least the game is a lot more stable that way.

So this happens to me everytime I enter Whiterun, no mods enabled, i7 6700 / GTX 1080:

I also had an instance where I was swimming in the lake near Riften and a t-posing moose motorboated past me at breakneck speed.

That looks like some faulty textures. Can you recheck the game's integrity via Steam? Maybe it'll replace the files with the right ones.

Unai

That's very good news!

I had no idea F4SE still wasn't working, that's bizarre. I'd think they could get this one running pretty quickly.

It's just the scripting part it seems. I know I have used some mods that required F4SE, but I have never payed much attention to why. Maybe someone else could shed some light.

How are the load times on PS4 when exiting/entering an area or using fasttravel ?
Much faster than PS3 I hope ? That was one of my major gripes with the game.
If you're going from PS3 to PS4 as your only Skyrim experience (like me) it's night and day in all aspects. It's a much much much more pleasant experience.

Terrorblot

Yep, but Campfire is an .esm so that'll always load first. The game will also put a few other mods in front of it if you don't touch your load order at all. USP used to be an .esm as well, but they changed it to an .esp for some reason.

Needless to say, it doesn't fix all the issues (the Z-fighting in particular is still there), but at least the game is a lot more stable that way.

That looks like some faulty textures. Can you recheck the game's integrity via Steam? Maybe it'll replace the files with the right ones.

The problem is I've seen Whiterun boot properly so the files aren't outright corrupted or missing I don't think, but I'll probably try verifying tonight when I get out of work, I'm kind of doubtful though.

SnowTeeth

Banned

These kinds of textures happened to me when I caught a carriage from Solitude to Whiterun (so just outside Whiterun). Do you have flickering issues on certain buildings, like Dragonsreach when outside of Whiterun? I think all of this may be related to LOD issues with the UInoffical Patch. They are aware of the flickering issues and there will be an update soon, but I'm not sure if this problem relates to that too. Hopefully the next update will fix this.

Aracarn

The voice acting seems way too quiet. I can barely hear Hadvar in the Helgen cave. Is this a symptom of the audio compression?

Top Bottom