• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitmob: Games Coverage is Terrible, I turn to NeoGAF

Chris Winters said:
These days, if I want sensible, up-to-the-minute reporting that I can trust, I have to turn to NeoGAF, a presentation format not exactly conductive to reporting news professionally. The blogs that many gamers rely on are notorious for misrepresenting clear facts so as to create clicks, blowing small issues out of proportion, and filling in the gaps on a slow news day with photos of underage schoolgirls holding games consoles, New Super Mario Bros. shampoo, or other nonsense only loosely based on gaming (or not at all) that happens to enter the blogger's mind. All of this is done under the pretence that "readers will find it interesting."

Read more: Games Coverage is Terrible -- Here's How I'd Fix it. http://www.bitmob.com/articles/a-hy...pointment-with-games-journalism#ixzz0uAoOQm7Q

Sensible? GAF?

There was a thread very recently (in the past couple days if I remember) about the professionalism of game journalism, but figured I'd put this up anyway. I also don't know of many good game blogs, I visit maybe 2, so post all your best ones, or the ones you read frequently that others might not know about.

I found this at: http://gamejournos.tumblr.com/

This is also the first time I've ever been to Bitmobs website, so I don't know what they're all about.

Comment: You had me until NeoGAF.

V_Ben

Banned
Well, GAF is the best place for up to the minute news, and there is intelligent discussion here at times, so i'd mostly agree with him.

Wes

venison crêpe
V_Ben said:
Well, GAF is the best place for up to the minute news, and there is intelligent discussion here at times, so i'd mostly agree with him.

There's also a gaming side.

survivor

Banned
GAF is probably the best site for general gaming news. Most of the worthwhile news get posted here before other gaming sites/blogs.

WillyFive

We get our stuff from games coverage. So what you will actually be getting is second hand news, from a very 'eccentric' source.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The blogs that many gamers rely on are notorious for misrepresenting clear facts so as to create clicks, blowing small issues out of proportion, and filling in the gaps on a slow news day with photos of underage schoolgirls holding games consoles, New Super Mario Bros. shampoo, or other nonsense only loosely based on gaming (or not at all) that happens to enter the blogger's mind.

I don't think GAF is much different from this.

Gravijah

survivor said:
GAF is probably the best site for general gaming news. Most of the worthwhile news get posted here before other gaming sites/blogs.

GAF scoops up all the shit across the gaming-internet-world and places it in a bucket for you to sift through.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Willy105 said:
We get our stuff from games coverage.

That's not necessarily true. GAF breaks plenty of info (specifically in regards to being the first English source to report on Japanese news, but in general as well), and what doesn't get broken here often comes from the same source (IE Kotaku posts a PR, someone on GAF posts the same PR).

survivor

Banned
Gravijah said:
GAF scoops up all the shit across the gaming-internet-world and places it in a bucket for you to sift through.
Which is exactly what I want since I don't have to go through the shitty pictures attached with the gaming news. Plus the discussion here isn't as bad as other places.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Wes said:
There's also a gaming side.
8a4ibtj.gif

<3 GAF

All you need anymore! ;)

But on the real, GAF is the only site where I can manage to get extensive updates from JPN. Well here, and [now] Shidoshis' bit in the world of podcast.

Gravijah

survivor said:
Which is exactly what I want since I don't have to go through the shitty pictures attached with the gaming news. Plus the discussion here isn't as bad as other places.

My post sounded much worse than it actually is. But I guess you get used to handling shit after a while.

I dunno why so many people go to kotaku and assume every game blog is like them. I find joystiq to be much more restrained in their posting and writing than kotaku. Plus, no brian ashcraft.

Palmer_v1

So out of curiosity, how did most of you find GAF to begin with? I lurked for a few years before I applied, but I seem to remember NeoGAF being the top search result at some point when I was trying to find out info about an upcoming game.

I mostly posted on gamefaqs before that. /shudder

Gravijah

Kimosabae said:
GAF's noteworthy reputation is one of the more mystifying phenomenon out there. An eighth wonder, even.

It's like a circle jerk circle jerking a circle jerk, with a group of fresh faces waiting to join in and those exiled from the circle jerk cursing the circle jerk.

coopolon

Wow, it took forever (like 5 minutes, I was half way into the article) for the page to load the embedded links, so it looked someone had gone through and censored out every noun in the article (all the names of games, websites, etc.) and I was trying to figure out if it supposed to mean something, or Bitmob just didn't want to piss other websites off or what.

Devil Theory said:
Comment: You had me until NeoGAF.

Come on now GAF is good fun. Yeah it's mob rule and most of these millennial douches believe THEIR LOVE of Kamiya, Miyamoto, or Loljima is The Most pure; but I can tell them they're wrong or get laughs from the interaction. Meanwhile ham beasts like Gerstman do terrible reviews of Virtua Fighter and it just makes me stop trusting Gamespot reviews.

It's video gaming's own shitty reality TV show. Fuck you Sony! We did it first and still do it better!

Good times!

Palmer_v1

Kimosabae said:
GAF's noteworthy reputation is one of the more mystifying phenomenon out there. An eighth wonder, even.

IMO, GAF is really good about self-correcting. If someone posts something stupid, it will get called out pretty fast, and lord knows the Mods can be merciless.
Notice I capitalize Mod, but not lord? <3

Kimosabae

Banned
Palmer_v1 said:
So out of curiosity, how did most of you find GAF to begin with? I lurked for a few years before I applied, but I seem to remember NeoGAF being the top search result at some point when I was trying to find out info about an upcoming game.

GAF actually gets mentioned a lot in the media. That's how I found out about the site. After an emotional outburst of frustration one night - "WTF is GAF?!" - I decided to do a Google search and the rest is history.

Zonar

Palmer_v1 said:

Me too. i know your pain

Kimosabae

Banned
Palmer_v1 said:
IMO, GAF is really good about self-correcting. If someone posts something stupid, it will get called out pretty fast, and lord knows the Mods can be merciless.
Notice I capitalize Mod, but not lord? <3

This is probably the best website on the internet, but not for the reason you mentioned. I have to humbly disagree.

mantidor

It's not that GAF is a good and sensible, is that everything out there really is that bad. Besides after lurking and knowing the general dynamics of the forum you can find your way into a decent discussion.

SonOfABeep said:
I dunno why so many people go to kotaku and assume every game blog is like them. I find joystiq to be much more restrained in their posting and writing than kotaku. Plus, no brian ashcraft.

oh and i love how kotaku has an article up today telling you how to "make copies of" your ds carts. fuckin' irresponsible douches

bhlaab

What baffles me is that kotaku is constantly being called out now, they know that they look like fools to everyone who is even paying attention, and yet they refuse to stop doing it. Or even tone it down! Can't they go to brian ashcroft and say "Look, we're getting a lot of heat here and we're in danger of losing our rep. Can we maybe cut it down to 2 anime pedophile articles per day? 2 and a half??"

[Nintex]

The great thing about GAF:

- No (more) mega threads, it seems that this trend is finally gone and we're getting seperate threads for news updates again!
- Japanese gaming news, I must say that AndriaSang is quite good as well
- The diverse community, people from Canada, US, Asia, Europe and even the Middle East post here
- The discussions and the fun, mods on NeoGAF don't ruin the fun like they do on other forums
- The real interest and knowledge in all things gaming, when you have a group of so many members with different interests you get the best information. It isn't just like a site posting NPD numbers because Nintendo did well that week or a blog reporting on RPG's because Sony got an exclusive.
- All forms of gaming are represented here, 'what could've been' console hardware threads from Camineet, followed by in depth discussions about the Zelda timeline(oh god), DS recommendations and religious talk about the hidden meaning of Halo and cool projects like the Contra mod for little big planet, G.A.M.E. and last but certainly not least Dudebro.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Palmer_v1 said:

I was a Scribblenauts GAFer.

And yeah, for some reason the ramblings of fanboys and hyperbolas are easier to tolerate and sift through when they're the many many voices of the community, as opposed to some guy on his blog.
(Although we have very very few true morons here, which is why I like it better then pretty much any other forum. We may have fanboys, but they're usually at least articulate fanboys. Stringent membership requirements ftw)

Shurs

[Nintex] said:
- The diverse community, people from Canada, US, Asia, Europe and even the Middle East post here

Don't forget our brothers from down under, Aus-GAF and South America-GAF.

Corto

I use Neogaf as a news aggregator with the plus of having on the spot discussion and also in almost every thread I'll have a laugh...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
[Nintex] said:
The great thing about GAF:

- No (more) mega threads, it seems that this trend is finally gone and we're getting seperate threads for news updates again!
- Japanese gaming news, I must say that AndriaSang is quite good as well
- The discussions and the fun, mods on NeoGAF don't ruin the fun like they do on other forums
- The real interest and knowledge in all things gaming, when you have a group of so many members with different interests you get the best information. It isn't just like a site posting NPD numbers because Nintendo did well that week or a blog reporting on RPG's because Sony got an exclusive.
- All forms of gaming are represented here, 'what could've been' console hardware threads from Camineet, followed by in depth discussions about the Zelda timeline(oh god), DS recommendations and religious talk about the hidden meaning of Halo and cool projects like the Contra mod for little big planet, G.A.M.E. and last but certainly not least Dudebro.
The penny-arcade forums are a pretty good example of this.

Cruzader

Banned
Bitmod: "We cant do out job, so we turn to GAF! We are as generic as the rest of the bloggers."

Shouldnt these guys go and do actual reports and stuff instead of going online and getting their info?

Mudkips

Banned
So like, a GAF thread about a blog post that says "I read NeoGAF instead of blogs because blogs post shit like what I'm posting now."?

Top Bottom