• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member
ff14betacpus.jpg

It maxes at 14% with some processors not even being utilized. I probably should disable hyperthreading and just run the true 12 CPUs and see how that runs. I mainly use this machine for film and sound work, so Hyperthreading is on for those applications (Adobe, Avid, Pro Tools, etc). I bet the real game takes a lot more CPU power, though it's probably not coded for 4-24 logical cpus.

Anyone who actually has run the game client, can you actually elaborate on if it supports multicpu?

MCX said:
Your computer is SICK. I'm surprised you didn't get a higher score, to be honest. (Even though I realize the benchmark is a POS :p)

It's because of how Nvidia cards are performing so badly right now on this benchmark. But who cares, Starcraft II has AA on Nvidia cards and not ATI cards! Bitches don't know about my ANTI-ALIASING! :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NfoRcEr said:
ff14betacpus.jpg

It maxes at 14% with some processors not even being utilized. I probably should disable hyperthreading and just run the true 12 CPUs and see how that runs. I mainly use this machine for film and sound work, so Hyperthreading is on for those applications (Adobe, Avid, Pro Tools, etc). I bet the real game takes a lot more CPU power, though it's probably not coded for 4-24 logical cpus.

Anyone who actually has run the game client, can you actually elaborate on if it supports multicpu?
Game seems to need 4 cores but decides to use 25% cpu.
If you have 2 core it decides to use 10% of CPU and commits suicide.

It's so baaaaaaaaaaad.

hteng

Banned
Hazaro said:
Game seems to need 4 cores but decides to use 25% cpu.
If you have 2 core it decides to use 10% of CPU and commits suicide.

It's so baaaaaaaaaaad.

what? commits suicide? do you think this game will kill my core2duo machine?

Reallink

Wow at the recommended specs:

Regarding FINAL FANTASY XIV for Windows® Recommended System Requirements

The following PC specifications are required to run the game smoothly with our stipulated in-game settings.
Window Size and Display Mode 1280x720 (Windowed)
Ambient Occlusion OFF
Depth of Field ON
Shadow Detail Standard
Multisampling 4x MSAA
Buffer Size Window Size
Texture Quality High
Texture Filtering High

Recommended System Requirements

OS Windows® 7 32-bit/64-bit*
CPU Intel® Core™ i7 2.66GHz or higher
RAM 4GB or more
HDD/SDD Installation: 15GB of free space
Download: 6GB of free space on the drive containing "My Documents"
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 or better with VRAM 768MB or more
Sound Card DirectSound® compatible sound card (DirectX® 9.0c or higher)
Internet Connection Broadband or better (always-on)
Resolution 1280x720 (32-bit) or higher
DirectX® DirectX® 9.0c
Others Mouse, Keyboard, Gamepad

Reallink said:

The following PC specifications are required to run the game smoothly with our stipulated in-game settings.
Ambient Occlusion OFF
Depth of Field ON
Shadow Detail Standard
Multisampling 4x MSAA
Buffer Size Window Size
Texture Quality High
Texture Filtering High

RAM 4GB or more
DirectX® DirectX® 9.0c

:lol :lol :lol

Squenix actually expects everyone to buy/build new computers to play FFXIV?

Well, they are recommended specs for playing the game at rather high settings in x720. Medium settings would probably just need a core 2 duo with 512mb of VRAM or something.

Chris R

Pai Pai Master said:
Well, they are recommended specs for playing the game at rather high settings in x720. Medium settings would probably just need a core 2 duo with 512mb of VRAM or something.
720p isn't a high resolution or anything. The engine needs work.

what the fuck those specs are ridiculous. i just built this computer at the beginning of this year and no way in hell am i upgrading for at least another year.

and all that just to run the game @ 720p? :lol

Teknoman

Just saying, a normal dual core (AMD X2 6400, i know it was bottlenecking my videocard but still) and something around the level of a Radeon 4870 will do you just fine. The game performed great under normal circumstances in the beta test with that set up. 1440x900, high shadows, no ambient occlusion, no depth of field (game actually looks better with that turned off), and 2x multisampling (which looks just fine).

Effect

Haven't been paying much attention to FFXIV but I have a few questions. Can't get to the site at work.

Are linkshells still suppose to be in the game or have they gone with a more standard guild system?

Apartments with the moogles still in?

Still similar to FFXI where it was almost impossible to even travel unless you had a group at times?

Will the console and PC versions have different interfaces?

Is it still mostly a forced group focused game? In that almost nothing can be done without a group? I don't mind grouping but FFXI was like beginning EQ1 all over again, even with hour long waits for spots in groups or even areas to open up.

I enjoyed FFXI of the little I could play of it. Once I managed to get my subjob quest done and make it to Juno it was pretty much a wait for group opening situation and just stopped playing. Would have loved to see how the story in the game turned out. Getting to the Valkum Dunes was fun but once pass it, not so much.

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Just saying, a normal dual core and something around the level of a Radeon 4870 will do you just fine. The game performed great under normal circumstances in the beta test with that set up. 1440x900, high shadows, no ambient occlusion, no depth of field (game actually looks better with that turned off), and 2x multisampling (which looks just fine).

Maybe eventually that rig will suit people fine. It certainly doesn't currently, at least for a lot of people. I've got similar specs and an HD5770 and it was unplayable in the city and crowded areas. Same thing happened to my buddy who has the same card. My roommate was able to run it so-so with his 8800GT, but it definitely was outperforming the HD5770 which honestly shouldn't happen.

Zomba13

Effect said:
Haven't been paying much attention to FFXIV but I have a few questions. Can't get to the site at work.

1.Are linkshells still suppose to be in the game or have they gone with a more standard guild system?

2.Apartments with the moogles still in?

3.Still similar to FFXI where it was almost impossible to even travel unless you had a group at times?

4.Will the console and PC versions have different interfaces?

5.Is it still mostly a forced group focused game? In that almost nothing can be done without a group? I don't mind grouping but FFXI was like beginning EQ1 all over again, even with hour long waits for spots in groups or even areas to open up.

I enjoyed FFXI of the little I could play of it. Once I managed to get my subjob quest done and make it to Juno it was pretty much a wait for group opening situation and just stopped playing. Would have loved to see how the story in the game turned out. Getting to the Valkum Dunes was fun but once pass it, not so much.

1. Linkshells are in the game (like the game lore, a character gives you one for story missions so he can talk to you basically) the guilds are companies iirc (or they are a collection of link shells.)

2. Don't know yet. Moogles are though as they were in a trailer.

3. It's quite easy to travel, just don't agro the mobs basically. Like stay away, they wont be able to attack well if they chase after you and theres distance (unlike ffxi where they melee'd from miles away)

4. The same, like in FFXI (most likely anyway)

5. It's a lot easier to solo thanks to guild leves (quests) and the Aetherite things that fully heal your MP and HP out in the camps. Grouping is still best for survival though.

Teknoman

Effect said:

Are linkshells still suppose to be in the game or have they gone with a more standard guild system?

Apartments with the moogles still in?

Still similar to FFXI where it was almost impossible to even travel unless you had a group at times?

Will the console and PC versions have different interfaces?

Is it still mostly a forced group focused game? In that almost nothing can be done without a group? I don't mind grouping but FFXI was like beginning EQ1 all over again, even with hour long waits for spots in groups or even areas to open up.

1. Not sure, it's called a Company now, but nothing on how they work except there will be Company missions and Company owned stuff.

2. Hasnt been revealed

3. No unless you're trying to take on something really strong. So far you can exp solo and do guildleve (mini mission) quests solo, but you still get more exp and gil by being in parties.

4. No. The UI is just fine, but standard PC controls need some work. Gamepad works great.

5. No its a little of both this time (read up on guildleves). Theres a faster party search/recruit mechanic. As in any FF game, you still benefit more from being in parties, but it's not impossible to do things solo.

EDIT: Yeah distance actually matters in game this time.

Reallink said:

Ambient Occlusion OFF
Depth of Field ON
Shadow Detail Standard
Multisampling 4x MSAA
Buffer Size Window Size
Texture Quality High
Texture Filtering High

RAM 4GB or more
DirectX® DirectX® 9.0c

The hell?

How on earth do they expect to port that monster to the PS3!?

Anyone hoping of having a decent experience while playing this game on a console just give up hope now. The PS3 version is simply going to have to be crippled beyond belief, people need to stop expecting it to be a worthwile alternative, everything points to it being a cheap cash in at this point.

Salaadin

cress2000 said:
Ugh. Can you not relocate the My Documents crap? My system drive is a 40GB SSD.

There are guides out there on how to do it. Google "moving the My Documents folder "your OS here"" and see what comes up. I assume its the same for all OSes though

Teknoman

brain_stew said:
The hell?

Anyone hoping of having a decent experience while playing this game on a console just give up hope now. The PS3 version is simply going to have to be crippled beyond belief, people need to stop expecting it to be a worthwile alternative, everything points to it being a cheap cash in at this point.

Well they did say the PC version and PS3 version are supposed to have different texture quality levels. And the PS2 version of XI had a few different graphical effects than the PC version did...really don't expect S-E to release a poorly made console version. Its not an exact port from the way they explained it.

JudgeN

brain_stew said:
The hell?

I think you jumping the gun a little bit here, the engine pretty well optimized for PS3. This would be the first time its being used for PC correct? So maybe its not optimized for PC thus these high requirements.

MCX

Banned
kpop100 said:
Interesting, this is what they give for recommended specs on the Japanese FFXIV website

http://i28.tinypic.com/2qjkvfk.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/#/about/game_info"]http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/#/about/game_info[/URL][/QUOTE]
Minimum specs would be my guess.

Effect

Teknoman said:
1. Not sure, it's called a Company now, but nothing on how they work except there will be Company missions and Company owned stuff.

2. Hasnt been revealed

3. No unless you're trying to take on something really strong. So far you can exp solo and do guildleve (mini mission) quests solo, but you still get more exp and gil by being in parties.

4. No. The UI is just fine, but standard PC controls need some work. Gamepad works great.

5. No its a little of both this time (read up on guildleves). Theres a faster party search/recruit mechanic. As in any FF game, you still benefit more from being in parties, but it's not impossible to do things solo.

EDIT: Yeah distance actually matters in game this time.

Thanks.

Going by those specs though I think I'll be taking a pass on the PC version of game if I get it. Especially if those specs from the Japanese site are close to the min. Yikes.

Jinko

Guys you need to chill out those specs are wrong, I have a 4870 and a Q6600 and can play the beta with no problems.

There is currently an ATI bug that is causing slow down LandDS you know this so stop trying to stir the shit :p

brain_stew said:
The hell?

brain_stew I love you man, but don't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. Those specs are completely flat out wrong, as proved firsthand already by numerous beta testers. Also, they're scaling several things down for the PS3 version.

Granted, many people (doomsayers) are speculating that these high specs are going to decimate the user base for the game. However, I much rather have a choppy frame rate this Fall and have smooth and beautiful graphics in a couple of years from now when I'm still playing this game. And 5 years from now when this game is still holding up graphically and running like butter, I will have forgotten all about the 15fps I USED to get in crowded city areas.

Not a chance that this game will "fail". A rough start, sure. But, fail....come on.

LaneDS

Jinko said:
Guys you need to chill out those specs are wrong, I have a 4870 and a Q6600 and can play the beta with no problems.

There is currently an ATI bug that is causing slow down LandDS you know this so stop trying to stir the shit :p

That's why I said "maybe eventually". Really not trying to stir anything up, as I've said a bunch I really want this game to be amazing. But it's currently far from it, and that's quite frustrating.

Teknoman

mcdomination said:
Granted, many people (doomsayers) are speculating that these high specs are going to decimate the user base for the game. However, I much rather have a choppy frame rate this Fall and have smooth and beautiful graphics in a couple of years from now when I'm still playing this game. And 5 years from now when this game is still holding up graphically and running like butter, I will have forgotten all about the 15fps I USED to get in crowded city areas.

Not a chance that this game will "fail". A rough start, sure. But, fail....come on.

2rne8oh.jpg

People will be fine with around minimum i'm sure. Just probably wont be able to blast everything on high, but then again, there are still people who play XI and cant run the game maxed out (well as maxed as the PC version of XI can be).

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Also, they said they will update to DX11 at some point.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Does anybody know if the game is going to be in the Square booth at Comicon? I dont think so since I cant find any info, but .. maybe, right?

Mandoric

Banned
Teknoman said:
People will be fine with around minimum i'm sure. Just probably wont be able to blast everything on high, but then again, there are still people who play XI and cant run the game maxed out (well as maxed as the PC version of XI can be).

To be fair, you can get arbitrarily crazy with PC FFXI. "I want 8x AA. Game, render at 15360x8640 and scale down." :lol

JudgeN

Guess ill ask this question here instead of that other thread.

Speaking of which does the game suppport content ID system like FFXI did? Meaning 1 content ID can hold 15 characters?

Also how is FFXI handled on steam, do you launch the game on steam then it takes you to playonline like the retail copy did or is it different? Will this game be available on steam day one (or the wonderful 4 pack sale)? Lastly Are they reusing playonline? (this shit was awful, especially on update days :lol )

notworksafe

No, PlayOnline has been removed in FFXIV. I believe it's been taken out of FFXI but I'm not 100% sure.

And everything FFXIV is now tied to your Square-Enix account. So I imagine Content ID's will be managed through there. And you're limited to 8 characters total now.

Nallen

Raging Spaniard said:
Does anybody know if the game is going to be in the Square booth at Comicon? I dont think so since I cant find any info, but .. maybe, right?

Nope, nothing playable. The only thing they are doing is showing the trailer on the big screens.

Top Bottom