• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

gillty

Banned
DrForester said:
So what's the difference between the in game item in the regular, and CE?
The regular gives you a xp bonus and has limited uses; the CE item reduces the death debuff, is permanent, and will be given to every character you create forever.

MCX

Banned
Square needs to wise up and prorate the monthly fees this time around.

I hated being charged for a whole month if I reactivated my ID late in the month and every now and then I'd be charged for 2 months at once. If I were to contest the fees with my CC company, BANHAMMER. (FFXI)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Valru said:
The regular gives you a xp bonus and has limited uses; the CE item reduces the death debuff, is permanent, and will be given to every character you create forever.

If I were a fanboy, could i get a copy of the regular and use it when i set up LE?

notworksafe

MCX said:
Square needs to wise up and prorate the monthly fees this time around.

I hated being charged for a whole month if I reactivated my ID late in the month and every now and then I'd be charged for 2 months at once. If I were to contest the fees with my CC company, BANHAMMER. (FFXI)
Just make it like WoW (yeah I know) where the day you reactivate you get charged for a month and you are recharged every month on that date. Or add 60 day time cards.

notworksafe

Ignore the score. I feel like this has been said a million times.

Look at the benchmark while it runs. Does it look smooth? Run well? There you go. If you simply must have a number, run fraps and keep an eye on the FPS count.

Teknoman

clo1_2000 said:
Ok, this is ridiculous; after upgrading my CPU to 3.3 ghz quad core and getting the 1 GB 460 gtx, my score when from 1200 to 3800 lol, wtf do I have to do to run the game really well. Here is my CPUID validation file:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1309427

I'm dropping in another 2GB in RAM next week, but after that I'm through.

There are people with 900 scores that run the game smoothly. Before I upgraded I only had low 2k score and ran just fine, aside from the ATI card performance bug.

Dont worry about it.

Rengoku

Took about 2 weeks or so to gather the parts, but got the last piece (gfx card) a couple days ago. Got everything working from first boot up, with Windows 7 64bit installed. Here are my results:

t89ceb.jpg

Now all I need is to get a damn beta invite! >.<;

notworksafe said:
Ignore the score. I feel like this has been said a million times.

Look at the benchmark while it runs. Does it look smooth? Run well? There you go. If you simply must have a number, run fraps and keep an eye on the FPS count.
But it's not true. The smoothness of the benchmark isn't anywhere near realistic, since it's a cutscene and not actual gameplay. That's why they give you the number, so you can see what it will be like in a real situation, like when there are a couple dozen characters onscreen, some enemies running their AI, weather effects, etc. Some people who got low scores but smooth framerates have horrible framerates in the beta.

notworksafe

HappyBivouac said:
face your computer to the southeast and see if that helps.
Synthesis failed! FFFFUUUUUU

Dreamwriter said:
But it's not true. The smoothness of the benchmark isn't anywhere near realistic, since it's a cutscene and not actual gameplay. That's why they give you the number, so you can see what it will be like in a real situation, like when there are a couple dozen characters onscreen, some enemies running their AI, weather effects, etc. Some people who got low scores but smooth framerates have horrible framerates in the beta.
I'd say it's mostly true. Unless you have an ATI card, then it's impossible to tell.

Amir0x

Banned
A few notes from benchmark...

1. On high res, I got a score of 6400. It ran super fluid.
2. The game looked pretty great on my PC and had next to no framerate problems.
3. Just the benchmark scenes alone was more compelling than FFXIII (I hope the next single player FF is more like this, atmospherically)
4. I am currently playing WoW and boy does this MMORPG make that five year old MMORPG look like shit. It's not surprising, but it's just...it's difficult playing WoW -now- with the graphics as it is, after stuff like this I think I'm done :lol

Wallach

Amir0x said:
A few notes from benchmark...

1. On high res, I got a score of 6400. It ran super fluid.
2. The game looked pretty great on my PC and had next to no framerate problems.
3. Just the benchmark scenes alone was more compelling than FFXIII (I hope the next single player FF is more like this, atmospherically)
4. I am currently playing WoW and boy does this MMORPG make that five year old MMORPG look like shit. It's not surprising, but it's just...it's difficult playing WoW -now- with the graphics as it is, after stuff like this I think I'm done :lol

You got a score of 6400 on 1080p? What the fuck computer do you have exactly?

Amir0x

Banned
Wallach said:
You got a score of 6400 on 1080p? What the fuck computer do you have exactly?

I recently built mine (first PC I ever built) and it cost $2000, but I've got the upgrade bug ever since and now I keep spending money to keep this damned computer top of the line and it's only been a few months. :lol

I even had a professional overclock it for me and properly cool the damned thing!

Mandoric

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
face your computer to the southeast and see if that helps.

I dunno, I think if he faces north it'll either make him run at 60fps pegged or make him bluescreen. Worth the risk! :lol

Chris R

Amir0x said:
I recently built mine (first PC I ever built) and it cost $2000, but I've got the upgrade bug ever since and now I keep spending money to keep this damned computer top of the line and it's only been a few months. :lol

I even had a professional overclock it for me and properly cool the damned thing!
Specs and pics! And what cooling did the "pro" set you up with?

Zomba13

With the whole benchamark stuff I recently updated my graphics card drivers (the new ones from nvida on the 19th or something) and got a 300 point increase on both high and low the conditions were actually more stressful this time though (first time I ran the benchmark I made sure I closed down everything, this time I still had programs running).

Anyway when I had a score of 2700 on high I could run the beta fine and the only slowdown was lag and the software mouse. I got 3075 on high now so it should run even better. I've been running the beta at 1440x900 with 2x multisampling and window buffer size with high shadows.

Jijidasu

How come that in my benchmark score page, even though my CPU is overclocked it doesn't display the overclocked clock speeds like the rest of the images I'm seeing?

bench.jpg

That's on 1080p and my CPU was actually clocked at 3.4ghz.

Autumn Thread said:
How come that in my benchmark score page, even though my CPU is overclocked it doesn't display the overclocked clock speeds like the rest of the images I'm seeing?

bench.jpg

That's on 1080p and my CPU was actually clocked at 3.4ghz.

Was gonna ask the same thing..

Also, Im only seeing one on my GFX cards listed.. and I see other peoples SLI configurations.

Whats the deal with that?

Ravidrath

I must say I'm disappointed at the lack of Magic classes... Both of them at the moment feel too same-y. While I haven't played them all, I find it hard to believe they'll be able to keep the 5 War classes completely distinct.

I'm sure the Magic classes will distinguish themselves more when I get past, like... Rank 8. I will say that Thaumaturge seems to be heading more down the RDM path I'm looking for, now that I've got Poison, Slow and Gravity. But I was expecting the Magic classes to be purer, i.e. one each for Healing, Elemental, Enfeebling and Enhancing magics - the two we have are so mushy it's hard to know what to make of them, right now.

Has anyone seen any support spells yet, like... Protect?

Jinko

Ravidrath said:
I must say I'm disappointed at the lack of Magic classes... Both of them at the moment feel too same-y. While I haven't played them all, I find it hard to believe they'll be able to keep the 5 War classes completely distinct.

I'm sure the Magic classes will distinguish themselves more when I get past, like... Rank 8. I will say that Thaumaturge seems to be heading more down the RDM path I'm looking for, now that I've got Poison, Slow and Gravity. But I was expecting the Magic classes to be purer, i.e. one each for Healing, Elemental, Enfeebling and Enhancing magics - the two we have are so mushy it's hard to know what to make of them, right now.

Has anyone seen any support spells yet, like... Protect?

Yes Conjurer has Protect, Shell, Poisona, Silenca, Viruna etc,

I think it will be entirely possible to make a red mage, take healing and enhancment spells from Conjurer and enfeebling from Thaumaturge.

I am hoping there will be enough customisation to make battle mages with abilities from Gladitor and black magic from Conjurer.

I think SE are playing it safe and holding a lot of jobs back, 1 so they can balance the ones they have and 2 so they have something interesting for the first expansion.

I am a little disappointed there is no bard but hopefully they will add that in the future.

Teknoman

datamage said:
Are you going to be able to have sub-jobs like in XI? Perhaps I've missed it, but I haven't read anything to that fact.

You dont have to take a specific subjob. Abilities from any job can be combined with your main (what you are currently playing as) job, as long as you have enough action points, and it wont really be a detriment to your overall stats. Of course, some skill combinations will make more sense than others.

Also, it looks like there is equipment that everyone can wear, equipment thats only for certain discipline sections (war,magic, hand, etc.), or equipment that is specific to a certain job.

http://twitpic.com/27unj5

"Production on the limited Collector's Edition is underway!"

datamage

Teknoman said:
You dont have to take a specific subjob. Abilities from any job can be combined with your main (what you are currently playing as) job, as long as you have enough action points, and it wont really be a detriment to your overall stats. Of course, some skill combinations will make more sense than others.

Also, it looks like there is equipment that everyone can wear, equipment thats only for certain discipline sections (war,magic, hand, etc.), or equipment that is specific to a certain job.

http://twitpic.com/27unj5

"Production on the limited Collector's Edition is underway!"

Ah ok, so a different yet similar approach. Thank you for the info. :)

Any word on if this game supports UI scaling? I ask because I plan on hooking this up to a 50" in my living room as I play. If I put FFXI in 1080p, the text is barely readable and I'm forced to drop down to 720p. But if I can run this in 1920x1080 and scale up the text, that would be ideal. Sorry if it's been answered before, didn't get to read every page yet.

Khrno

Wouldn't the text be big on your 50" screen? Regardless of being 1080p or 720p, you have a big screen and the graphics will obviously look bigger, text included. Unless I misunderstood you and you meant by FFXI barely readable as a blurry mess.

With how far away I am (~7 feet), at around 1920x1080, it causes the graphics to become sharper but the text also becomes tiny. It's not blowing anything up when you increase the resolution, it's doing the opposite. So it does technically look better, but the text is too small for me to read. So if there's an in-game option to keep the resolution, but increase the size of the UI/text, that would be ideal. WoW has this option, I believe.

notworksafe

It's not in the Beta, but graphics options are super limited at the moment. Stuff that was shown as an option in the recommended specs aren't even implemented.

Something tells me UI scaling probably won't be added. Just an extra push to get people to buy the PS3 version.

Bummer. I'm sure 720p will be quite playable though, at the distance I'm be sitting at. Won't stop me from playing on my TV, but it'd be a nice option. Good point about perhaps trying to push the PS3 version but I don't really want to wait it out and no way that version is going to support native 1080p.

In FFXI you can set the 3D resolution and GUI/HUD resolution separately. The option is also in FFXIV's beta, but in the form of the "buffer size" option, which makes everything look like complete crap if you turn it down at all.

DrDogg

I was going to play on my PS3, but since the console version has been delayed I'll be running on an ASUS G73 laptop. I get ~3500 @ 720p and just over 2000 @ 1080p. I'll be connecting my laptop to my big screen, but I'll probably end up playing on 720p despite my TV being 1080p. Since I plan to switch to PS3 in March, I'm fine with running the PC version at 720p.

That said, I'm also concerned with the text size. I remember when the 360 version of FFXI released, some TVs had issues with very small text. Luckily my HDTV didn't have the issue, but I recall it took SE at least a few months to correct the problem.

I was hoping to get into the beta to test things out before I pick up my CE in Sept, but since I'm running an ATI card I figure it won't matter much until the bugs are fixed. I also plan on joining the GAF server and making my friends join that server as well.

desu

Salaadin said:
Im assuming you need to be German but I signed up anyway. Thanks.

Rules for application only mention that you need to be a reader of the website (so yeah pretty much anyone is allowed) and that people working at the magazine/SquareEnix are not allowed to apply.

Halfmunch

They problem I see is that the benchmark is misleading.

The graphics may run fine with the benchmark.

But in the real game its not compare-able because its missing the A.I., the User interface, scripts, and other players running around doing random things. Many people will be surprised at how much this changes your performance.

I still hope something about the game is not optimized, and will have better specs at launch.

Husker86

Halfmunch said:
They problem I see is that the benchmark is misleading.

The graphics may run fine with the benchmark.

But in the real game its not compare-able because its missing the A.I., the User interface, scripts, and other players running around doing random things. Many people will be surprised at how much this changes your performance.

I still hope something about the game is not optimized, and will have better specs at launch.
That's why you go by the score, not how it looks when it's running.

Top Bottom