• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Gonna give this a shot, just to see if theres any difference.

It does go full screen but I didn't see any different in my score tbh.

Doesn't alt-tab intentionally quit the game? Same as in FFXI, at least when I played it.

It does, no idea why SE would be as stupid.. again !, I hate playing games in windows mode.

Zaptruder

Banned
kpop100 said:
Doesn't alt-tab intentionally quit the game? Same as in FFXI, at least when I played it.

Ah haha... Fucking S-E. After hearing about this, I no longer have any interest in FFXIV.

This shit frustrated the fuck out of me with FFXI, and we had reprieve in the form of a user mod, but that shit fucked up everytime they updated with a patch.

It doesn't even make sense this time. Play in windowed mode and it'll be fine. Don't play in windowed mode and you're subjected to a very arbitrary rule about not been able to alt tab.

Forbiden

kpop100 said:

I don't think alt-tab quits FFXI when you run it in windowed mode, only for when you are playing full screen iirc.

It's a bug. It was intentional with FFXI at release, however they've since provided a windowed mode for that and are providing one for this game as well. Sorta defeats the purpose of disabling alt-tab.

Broadbandito said:
i dont know why i cant benchmark my pc. is it because i have an ati card?

Benchmark works fine on ATI Cards. Make sure you're up to date on Drivers and have downloaded the latest DirectX Runtimes.

33eh0qw.jpg

is this good? lol

MCX

Banned
Broadbandito said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/33eh0qw.jpg[IMG]

is this good? lol[/QUOTE]
[B][3000-4499] Fairly High Performance[/B]
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.

May I ask what graphics card you're running?

MCX said:
[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.

May I ask what graphics card you're running?

4870 1gb

also benchmark score for high res with full screen file in place was 2253 with 17635 for loading.

Jinko

Broadbandito said:
[IM]http://i29.tinypic.com/33eh0qw.jp[/IMG]

is this good? lol

Thats about the same score I'm getting with my 4870, I think once they sort the ATI bug in the beta it will run very smoothly.

When im not having slow down issues (due to the bug) im easily hitting the 30 fps cap.

I still might get a 5870 just so I can run the game with full settings.

Teknoman

Broadbandito said:
4870 1gb

also benchmark score for high res with full screen file in place was 2253 with 17635 for loading.

Thats strange, mine actually lists the 4870 after having run the benchmark.

EDIT: The game actually seems to look better with both ambient occlusion and depth of field turned off (especially since they auto turn it on in cutscenes).

Teknoman said:

EDIT: The game actually seems to look better with both ambient occlusion and depth of field turned off (especially since they auto turn it on in cutscenes).

weird.

Jinko said:
Thats about the same score I'm getting with my 4870, I think once they sort the ATI bug in the beta it will run very smoothly.

When im not having slow down issues (due to the bug) im easily hitting the 30 fps cap.

I still might get a 5870 just so I can run the game with full settings.

I need to list all my pc stuff in the pc thread and ask what I should upgrade.

Teknoman said:

I thought Ambient Occlusion was an Nvidia-only feature?

This is the best that I could do.
benchmark.jpg

1080p
258.96 WHQL candidate
Q6600 @ 3.2
8GB G.Skill DDR-1066
GTX 470 @ 760/1520/1850
All driver settings reset to default (I usually use highest quality settings.)
Fullscreen hack enabled, which is why this was taken with a digital camera

Nvidia should be ashamed of the TWIMBTP logo on this benchmark. Their hosting the benchmark on their own servers is a waste of their bandwidth too, if anything the company hosting this benchmark should be ATI because of how much higher ATI cards score than Nvidia cards.

Teknoman

720p scores:

2rpyb20.jpg

348oec1.jpg

With my new processor, benchmark ran at high 60s-70s fps the most of the time.

Unknown Soldier said:
Nvidia should be ashamed of the TWIMBTP logo on this benchmark. Their hosting the benchmark on their own servers is a waste of their bandwidth too, if anything the company hosting this benchmark should be ATI because of how much higher ATI cards score than Nvidia cards.

Heh I dunno, especially since Ati cards currently suffer a performance bug in certain areas in the beta.

Not sure if it'll be fixed by the next test date.

Salaadin

Unknown Soldier said:
Um, no. People with 5850s score around 4200-4300 at stock clocks and 4500+ when OCed. People with 5870s are breaking 5000+.

My 5850 has yet to break 4000 in the benchmark. My highest was 3600 until my recent reformat. Now at 1080, I get 3900.

i5 750
4GBs of RAM

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
Um, no. People with 5850s score around 4200-4300 at stock clocks and 4500+ when OCed. People with 5870s are breaking 5000+.

It's your CPU holding it back, a lot of people with high scores have hyperthreaded CPU i5/i7's.

CPU seems to make a lot of difference in this benchmark.

Man

Is FF14 in the upper echelon when it comes to multi-core coding on PC? I've just been skimming and it seems like the game heavily uses all available cores.

Jinko

Man said:
Is FF14 in the upper echelon when it comes to multi-core coding on PC? I've just been skimming and it seems like the game heavily uses all available cores.

It uses all core just not very effectively, it still seems they need some optimzation on that front.

But more cores and threads will net you a better result for sure.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Benchmark is whack, game is unoptimized as shit.
News at 11.
Man said:
Not really. It's actually surprisingly random. The less cores you have the less it works!
It's a mess. It's more a case of needing a quad to actually function properly.

Man

Do we know the core-cap? Four? Eight?
I'm just kinda surprised seeing Blizzard only supporting 2 cores max when FF14 is taking use of a higher number.
As you said, more cores != better coding efficiency but I wonder if this is a bi-effect of having to work on the Cell/PS3.
On the PS3 there's heaps of games (especially 1st party) that slay FF13 in the performance department so SE might not be reference material on any platform right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Man said:
Do we know the core-cap? Four? Eight?
I'm just kinda surprised seeing Blizzard only supporting 2 cores max when FF14 is taking use of a higher number.
As you said, more cores != better coding efficiency but I wonder if this is a bi-effect of having to work on the Cell/PS3.
On the PS3 there's heaps of games (especially 1st party) that slay FF13 in the performance department so SE might not be reference material on any platform right now.
Well SC II runs about 16x better on my 3.8Ghz Dual core + GTX260 so I am biased.

gillty

Banned
Jinko said:
LOL, come on you didn't just compare an RTS to an MMO.. :|
RTS games can be just as challenging on the CPU as any other game, StarCraft 2 is just not one of them. It designed like every other Blizzard game to work on anything reasonable.

edit: WOW I can't believe SC2's minimum requirements state a ATI Radeon 9800Pro & a P4. Man that 98000Pro was a sweet card back when FFXI launched. :lol

Teknoman

From FFXIV core:

Jeux Video interview translated:

Tanaka -

"I worked on Final Fantasy XI for 8 years. I was able to collect a lot of feedback and testimonials of MMORPG players. But I also heard many moving stories from the players. A lot of things happened between them. So I had a great pleasure in working on a new MMORPG and I will be able to hear many new stories written through the game.

We do not try to compete with World of Warcraft. We really want to convince the fans of Final Fantasy who have never played an MMORPG. But also show to casual gamers that MMORPGs are very exciting to play. We really hope that Final Fantasy XIV will be a good first experience for those new players.

With this title we want to bring new players to the MMORPG experience, so we spent a lot of time to manage the play time. We know that MMORPGs can consume a lot of time for players. We have therefore created the "Guild Leaves" and an armory which will allow players to use their playing time effectively. This is one of the main novelties of this Final Fantasy XIV.

We really wanted to make quests less repetitive as possible for players. In Final Fantasy XI, when you were done with a quest, it was not meant to be repeated. Instead in Final Fantasy XIV we really want the players to repeat them as many times as they want. Attempts are being made to make these quests as pleasant as possible so that players do not feel bored.

The development of Final Fantasy XIV occupies all my time, so I do not have time to play other games. I am therefore sorry to say that the last game that pleased me as a player is Final Fantasy XI.

We have not yet anything in mind to the Playstation Plus members. You'll have the traditional achievments for all players, but nothing special for Playstation Plus members. "

Estival

Teknoman said:
We really wanted to make quests less repetitive as possible for players. In Final Fantasy XI, when you were done with a quest, it was not meant to be repeated. Instead in Final Fantasy XIV we really want the players to repeat them as many times as they want. Attempts are being made to make these quests as pleasant as possible so that players do not feel bored
Weird. But that's kind of disappointing to me, the quests that were not repeatable in FFXI were really my favorite part of the whole game -- the ones with a lot of story that you wouldn't really want to repeat a bunch of times, but were fun the one time you did them. All the repeatable ones were pretty much "bring me 10 of this item." I hope they've got a decent balance at least, maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Narag

Estival said:
Weird. But that's kind of disappointing to me, the quests that were not repeatable in FFXI were really my favorite part of the whole game -- the ones with a lot of story that you wouldn't really want to repeat a bunch of times, but were fun the one time you did them. All the repeatable ones were pretty much "bring me 10 of this item." I hope they've got a decent balance at least, maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

I just hope they put in a minstrel equivalent. I used to have have so much fun in FFXI globetrotting just to rewatch cutscenes.

Teknoman

Estival said:

They arent talking about story missions, they mean normal every day quests you would do to get money. Pretty much the guildleve system in action, which also has adjustable difficulty depending on how many people you are with. The story missions are still there and pretty detailed.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member
1080p Scores:

I'm getting excited for this beta test, especially after watching the benchmark play. Here's to hoping I get in! =) I remember starting the beta for FF11 for the PS2 (with it's 9 hours of patches after what felt like 2 hours of installing to hard drive) and enjoying it for a while. Good Times :)

Chris R

Ugh, I check my email and what do I see? An email from Square-Enix??!?!?!?! OMG YESSSSSSSSSSS

FFXI Newsletter #41??? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Seriously, I hate getting shit like that when I'm wanting into a beta. I bet something similar happens when ToR enters beta :|

Top Bottom