• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Teknoman

Onion_Relish said:
Youre probably so bitter and jaded that they dont expect you to come back.

I remember being so excited for FFXI when i had a ps2, but when my friend got it and i played it, boy was i disappointed. Obviously it has improved since the early 2000's, but im really not expecting this game to blow me away. In some ways, I suspect the redone WoW is the answer to this game. But im hoping against hope that this game doesnt suck

If the current systems in place are any indication, as well as the graphics and music, it wont.

gillty

Banned
Onion_Relish said:
Youre probably so bitter and jaded that they dont expect you to come back.

I remember being so excited for FFXI when i had a ps2, but when my friend got it and i played it, boy was i disappointed. Obviously it has improved since the early 2000's, but im really not expecting this game to blow me away. In some ways, I suspect the redone WoW is the answer to this game. But im hoping against hope that this game doesnt suck
Jeez, are you so one track minded that you think WoW is the end all be all of mmos? WoW is a good game in a mainstream sense but I think for a lot of people including me who have played it off and on since late 04 its time to move on.

Go back and compare XI to any MMO of that time period, XI at North American launch it was easily one of the better mmos on the market. The only game I can think of that has had the staying power as XI in the western mmo market is EVE another niche mmo that while is still growing has not reached XI's numbers. XI did not suck, and this game which is pretty loosely tied with XI certainly does not.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I added a Direct download of 3.5 patch file on online section. :)

Gromph

Staff Member
fizzelopeguss said:
You sir....have big balls, big juicy bouncy balls.

that BT client of theirs is horrifying, it was using 100 percent cpu resources ffs.

With good bw you can download from my server at 10MB/sec :)

Are you planning to link us to this, or just tease us?

edit: Nevermind. I never look in the Online section, it might as well have been invisible for me. Until now! :lol :lol

Gromph

Staff Member
Unknown Soldier said:
Are you planning to link us to this, or just tease us?

edit: Nevermind. I never look in the Online section, it might as well have been invisible for me. Until now! :lol :lol

All who can post here, can see Online forums :)

Kyoufu

Uhhh...the download client did not resume from where it left off last night...

hurray for starting all over again...what a piece of shit lol

Londa

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Uhhh...the download client did not resume from where it left off last night...

hurray for starting all over again...what a piece of shit lol

If you are trying to download 07.09.2000 look in the online section because someone posted a link with a faster way to download that patch.

Londa

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Thank God. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem. I feel your pain. I've been trying to download the patches for a week and a half. lol

Don't forget to also download the 07.12.2000 from the same page.

Teknoman

Druz said:
I have no idea what the online section is

20qlmw.jpg

Nose Master

Ugh, torrent is running stupid slow because my ports aren't forwarded. And my neighbor has the router / password and is asleep. Welp. The port forwarding is just concerning the update download, right? Cause if I leave it on all night it might just be at 50% tomorrow morning. :lol

hey guys, can someone help me? i downloaded everything and logged into the game but i can't get online... i always get an error "can't connect to the lobby server... timeout bla bla bla"

are the servers down or am i missing something? i checked my firewall etc and everything seemed fine :/

thx for the help!

Kyoufu

berserk_ftw said:
hey guys, can someone help me? i downloaded everything and logged into the game but i can't get online... i always get an error "can't connect to the lobby server... timeout bla bla bla"

are the servers down or am i missing something? i checked my firewall etc and everything seemed fine :/

thx for the help!

Server is down.

berserk_ftw said:

thx for the help!
Yes, they're down for maintenance. Check out the NeoGAF beta thread or the official beta forums for beta test times.

This may be a tad off topic but I got no help in the thread more suited for this question.

FFXIV is upon us and i need a graphics card. I purchased a ready to buy ASUS from BestBuy back in January for basic needs not anticipating much pc gaming in my future. That all changed when I found out that FFXIV would be releasing on PC way ahead of PS3.

So I will give you a link to the exact specs and please let me know some good options for cards. The card has to have 1 DVI input and one HDMi input. The biggest obstacle I'm going to have is that I would really like to get away without changing out the power supply and for some reason this thing only has a 400watt PSU.

Link to my exact pc specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/as...4/4507-3118_7-33777273.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

Amneisac

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...75&cm_re=palit_gtx_460-_-14-261-075-_-Product

That's kind of the default mid-range GPU recommendation to everyone right now. It has an HDMI output and a DVI output, which is what I assume you need (not inputs, right?). It does say that it requires a 450w PSU, so that might be a problem if your 400watt isn't rated very high.

It will offer performance near a 5850 at overclocked speeds, and it's a little better than a 5830 in most benchmarks I've seen.

It even has its own thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400933

It also kind of depends on what you're willing to spend.

Coldsnap

ugh, anyone have this problem? Back when I played XI i was in highschool so had all the time in the world now I'm older, In college, work, and train. So I told myself I would only play XIV casual but here I am sitting at my desk trying to figure out a way to not go into work today :lol

Amneisac

Coldsnap said:
ugh, anyone have this problem? Back when I played XI i was in highschool so had all the time in the world now I'm older, In college, work, and train. So I told myself I would only play XIV casual but here I am sitting at my desk trying to figure out a way to not go into work today :lol

I didn't think there was beta testing today, or is it different in different regions?

Kyoufu

Coldsnap said:

You should totally not go into work today so you can stare at a lobby error message all day. :)

Londa

Banned
Coldsnap said:

I can only understand this after launch. I mean all the work we do in beta will be erased so why miss work for something you can never keep?

gillty

Banned
Jinko said:
There were roughly 15k across all regions (45k in total).
On top of the 20k ( in NA) already testing, assuming the other regions had similar numbers they are now around 100,000 testers.

Jinko

Suburban_Nooblet said:
God I hope they optimize this game to run on lower end cards. my quad core with 8gb of RAM and a 4650HD only scored 1250 on low resolution.

Its a new game you can't expect it to run well on an old budget GPU.

Jinko said:
Its a new game you can't expect it to run well on an old budget GPU.

I don't want to run it well I just want to run the damn game. I can run everything else on the market and it plays fine. Not ultra high but I can play anything.

I've been scoring in the same range and can run it just fine, to be honest. Even with the ATI issues (that they'll be fixing) it's still playable.

HappyBivouac said:
I've been scoring in the same range and can run it just fine, to be honest. Even with the ATI issues (that they'll be fixing) it's still playable.

You just made my day. I assumed the benchmark had to be flawed in some way. What setup do you have?

Lower than yours. ASUS laptop with Mobile Core i7 @1.6GHz, 4GB DDR3 1066, and Mobility HD5730.

I mean, I do get some horrendous frame drops in town in the beta, but it's definitely playable and
a) assuming if they want to make money it'll be further optimized at retail.
b) your system has a bit more power. The benchmark is nonsense.
c) the frame drops can likely be attributed to a "current known issue" where ATI cards experience unusual slowdown.

Top Bottom