• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Nice, got my invite this morning at 8:30 am EST.

I was starting to get worried.

Nose Master said:
Got an invite finally, but, my computer isn't good enough to run it :lol

Also, not to call you out specifically, but I hate when people do this. Unless you get a new PC within the Beta Test period, what's the point other than preventing others who would like to play from getting in?

Just a little selfish. :-/

Amneisac said:
I wonder if I fucked myself when I re-registered for the beta with my FFXIII key. I applied to the beta originally the minute the site went open basically, and then it said I would "lose my place in line" when I did the PS3 key. I shouldn't have done it. I'm sure it must just be random though right? Or somehow profiled by hardware.

i dont think that was a bad move, i did the same thing and i got my invite. just keep your fingers crossed.

Teknoman

Dechaios said:
So for those of us who didn't get in, was that wave our last chance? :(

Im sure it wasnt. Theres still from now till August, as well as people who might give up their spot/share testing periods.

Khrno

Two mates got the invite this afternoon too, but not me.. Now I have 4 accounts hoping to get at least one invite, since having a single account didn't work, maybe now it will..

Nose Master

Anonymous Tipster said:
Nice, got my invite this morning at 8:30 am EST.

I was starting to get worried.

Also, not to call you out specifically, but I hate when people do this. Unless you get a new PC within the Beta Test period, what's the point other than preventing others who would like to play from getting in?

Yeah it is, but I'll be using my friends computer instead of my own. Like I'd miss out on beta goodness. When are the windows to play?

jiggle

Anonymous Tipster said:

you mean you knew about the specs for this game, back in november 2009, and didn't tell the rest of us???

Tiduz

Eurogaime
*points at NICKNAME*

how could you not send me a email square? i regged day one for PC.

ffffuuuu

Never played an mmo so not blind buying :D

fudge.
no invite for me.

now I regret making a new beta app for PC only, when I had the PS3 FFXIII code on my previous one, since some people got in anyway.

DarkKyo

theMrCravens said:
fudge.
no invite for me.

now I regret making a new beta app for PC only, when I had the PS3 FFXIII code on my previous one, since some people got in anyway.
That still doubles your chances of getting in though.

Teknoman

Tiduz said:
*points at NICKNAME*

how could you not send me a email square? i regged day one for PC.

ffffuuuu

Never played an mmo so not blind buying :D

You can still check impressions in the other topic.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
You what .. now you tell me.. !

Well on the other hand, you can kick back and listen to the XIV's version of the crystal theme.

HAttyboy said:
Haha you did post my stream on GAF lol xD

Probably should move that to the other thread then, so non-gaffers wont rat you out.

Pachinko

Okay, I don't think the selection process is random at all, square is obviously looking for people to fill positions based on location, pc type and internet connection type.

I mean, I filled out the application for the second time not even 2 weeks ago with my current pc and I got an e-mail today. This leads me to believe that they gave me an invite purely because my pc can run the game really well. This way I can provide an honest opinion on the content without suffering performance related setbacks. (I'm assuming here I mean I did score 5700 at 720p which is probably where I'll run the game unless I can put it in 16:10 mode)

The only wrench in that theory is that more then 1 person in this thread has seemingly made it into the beta and their computers can't run it at all :p So either they lied on the application form about their specs or there were in fact some random invites.

Burli

Pringo
Yeah, update is failing to even start for me - reminds me of the good times I had sitting around during update bottlenecks when I played FFXI.

sciplore

Just got an invite too but every time I try to run the benchmark to test it some error occurs. Going to try to download it again.

Doubt I could run it though I can run 11 fine enough but goodness knows just about any dinosaur of a computer can.

Duran

Got an invite, however whenever I try to load up the game a black box appears, it crashes, then I get an error. Does anyone else have this problem? Checking the beta forums on SE a lot of people have this exact same problem with a solution being to 'update graphics drivers/directX.' So I did and the problem still persists and I'm not the only one that has tried and failed. Any ideas?

LowParry

Duran said:
Got an invite, however whenever I try to load up the game a black box appears, it crashes, then I get an error. Does anyone else have this problem? Checking the beta forums on SE a lot of people have this exact same problem with a solution being to 'update graphics drivers/directX.' So I did and the problem still persists and I'm not the only one that has tried and failed. Any ideas?

What's your error msg?

sciplore said:
Just got an invite too but every time I try to run the benchmark to test it some error occurs. Going to try to download it again.

Doubt I could run it though I can run 11 fine enough but goodness knows just about any dinosaur of a computer can.

Have you updated everything such as DX? Video drivers, etc?

Brofist

Anonymous Tipster said:

To be fair the application did ask about PC specs, so unless he lied to get in, they probably knew who they were inviting.

That said you have to have a fairly old PC not even to be able to run this at all, 4 years or more old, and in that regard he probably shouldn't have taken a spot in the beta.

jiggle said:
you mean you knew about the specs for this game, back in november 2009, and didn't tell the rest of us???

Most PC gamers should have at least a feel for what the specs of a game are going to be.

LowParry

If you get an error after the black screen loading, you should get this if you are all updated:

13001 The lobby server connection has encountered an error.
Error Code: 0
TIMEOUT

It just means servers are down. If it's something entirely different, post it.

Duran

Baloonatic said:
If it's just a general Windows "unexpected error and had to close" message then you probably just need to update your drivers.

Yeah that's the error a lot of people have been getting. I just updated my drivers and it didn't work so... not sure what to do now.

Edit: Apparently setting the shadow setting to 'Standard' fixed the problem...just read that on the SE forums. So yeah, just update drivers and set that option and it should work.

Duran

You might have to open some ports if your DL speed is low.

UDP - 55296 - 55551
TCP - 54992 - 55551
UDP - 443

Just a guess, since after 30 mins I'm 5% done and I had forwarded ports before hand.

Kyoufu

Duran said:
You might have to open some ports if your DL speed is low.

UDP - 55296 - 55551
TCP - 54992 - 55551
UDP - 443

Just a guess, since after 30 mins I'm 5% done and I had forwarded ports before hand.

This seemed to work, speeds have been boosted. Thanks!

Calantus

Coldsnap said:
So what is the deal with surnames? Can you turn them off? When you /tell someone do you have to type their full name?

I don't believe surnames are mandatory, i've seen a couple videos without them. Not sure about the tells though.

Trevelyon

is there a pause option in the download client or.. at the very least does it retain what you've already downloaded if you quit out?

Speeds are fairly flat atm.

notworksafe

Trevelyon said:
is there a pause option in the download client or.. at the very least does it retain what you've already downloaded if you quit out?

Speeds are fairly flat atm.
Yeah, it's just a torrent program so it keeps your data.

Calantus said:
I don't believe surnames are mandatory, i've seen a couple videos without them. Not sure about the tells though.
They are mandatory. You may have seen videos with DAT files edited to have a blank last name, but that only shows client side.

jiggle said:
We knew before then that Square was going to target top of the line computers at the time of the game's release, since that had already been mentioned in an interview.

Teknoman

fizzelopeguss said:
Torrents /facepalm.

Anywhere i can download the client from.

Yeah, online section.

Kagari said:
Glad I downloaded the client a few days ago. Just got the latest update in less than a couple minutes.

You got in too, or just keeping it updated just in case?

Conrad Link said:
Still no invite. ;(

I guess my 7 years of XI playing still doesn't make me a suitable candidate for XIV testing.

Youre probably so bitter and jaded that they dont expect you to come back.

I remember being so excited for FFXI when i had a ps2, but when my friend got it and i played it, boy was i disappointed. Obviously it has improved since the early 2000's, but im really not expecting this game to blow me away. In some ways, I suspect the redone WoW is the answer to this game. But im hoping against hope that this game doesnt suck

Top Bottom