• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 PC first review- 80%

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Sullen said:
So it's linear and 10 hours long? Sounds like shit. Gotta love all the consolite morons showing up with the "LINEAR? SOUNDS AMAZING!" shit. An audience that has been fed shit so long they have actually developed a taste for it. :lol

Someone is a fucking moron.

Haunted

brain_stew said:
Well it runs on 5 year old console tech, so I'd wager fine.
That's what they said about GTAIV and Saint's Row!

Every half-decent port from the PS360 should be fine considering the shit low-end hardware they're coming from, but some companies still fuck it up.

That said, I don't believe the fine people of 2K Czech - which are PC developers at heart - would deliver a sloppy PC version.

Sounding good!

For those asking about Freeride/Freeride Extreme, it seems it's DLC this time around.

Mafia II publisher 2K Games today announced yet more downloadable content for 2K Czech's moody mobster game and revealed the free PlayStation 3-exclusive DLC.

'The Betrayal of Jimmy' casts players as the mercenary Jimmy to score points and climb leaderboards in "dozens of intense newly created arcade-style, city-based missions" with "dramatic shootouts and explosive car chases." It'll arrive exclusively for PS3 on launch day, free with a voucher code that's included in new copies or $9.99 otherwise.

The 'Jimmy's Vendetta' DLC, however, will hit all platforms "soon" after launch and involve "helping Jimmy clean up other people's messes" in "new city-based missions and locales." 2K enthuses that Jimmy's Vendetta will also "offer more replay action" as it too features leaderboards. Pricing and release details are promised "at a later date."

dlc01.jpg

dlc02.jpg

Now that's something you can complain about, if this DLC really is 'freeride extreme'.

Ceebs

Haunted said:
That's what they said about GTAIV and Saint's Row!

Every half-decent port from the PS360 should be fine considering the shit low-end hardware they're coming from, but some companies still fuck it up.

That said, I don't believe the fine people of 2K Czech - which are PC developers at heart - would deliver a sloppy PC version.
These open world style games give me pause these days since I have yet to upgrade my X2 550.

Dabanton

Sullen said:
So it's linear and 10 hours long? Sounds like shit. Gotta love all the consolite morons showing up with the "LINEAR? SOUNDS AMAZING!" shit. An audience that has been fed shit so long they have actually developed a taste for it. :lol

One of the dumbest and ill thought out posts i've seen in a long while. What the fuck do consoles have to do with if a game is linear or not?

If GTA:IV ,Just Cause 2,Saints Row 2,Crackdown 2 Fallout 3,Oblivion,Infamous,prototype and Red Faction can all manage huge open worlds on a lowly console how does your point make any sense?

Dabanton said:
One of the dumbest and ill thought out posts i've seen in a long while. What the fuck do consoles have to do with if a game is linear or not?

If GTA:IV ,Just Cause 2,Saints Row 2,Crackdown 2 Fallout 3,Oblivion,Infamous,prototype and Red Faction can all manage huge open worlds on a lowly console how does your point make any sense?

You can take it even further since the original Mafia was PC exclusive for a year or so(I think?) and was as linear as a train line.

Obviously he's never played Mafia I or he's just trolling.

Portugeezer

wormstrangler said:
You can take it even further since the original Mafia was PC exclusive for a year or so(I think?) and was as linear as a train line.

Obviously he's never played Mafia I or he's just trolling.
Both.

Darkman M

Im getting it regardless, but i have a feeling the 10 hour thing might have been a power run through the game. I would wait for more reviews if i was some of you guys on edge.

Aesius

Wow. And I seriously had Mafia 2 pegged as sleeper GOTY.

10 hours is wayyyy too short. BOGT and LATD both took me over 10 hours, and they were only $15!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This actually excites me more. I was afraid they would go full sandbox now that VGA is popular and I'm thrilled that that is not the case. A linear game with a hint of open world is a great mix.

I can't believe the idiot post above insinuating that consoles had anything to do with the linearity. Mafia was a pc game first and foremost and was completely linear. Gta3, however, was a total sandbox game designed for ps2.

Dan Yo

Banned
I'm confused. Did someone photoshop Bruce Willis's face onto that character as a joke or is that the actual player model?

People arnt taking into account all the screwing around in the game world when not doing missions, surely that will take up alot of time ( I know it did for me in gta4 )

big_z

adelante said:
Yeah you can't free roam in Alan Wake but it had a fully realized setting with background elements that don't just serve as beautiful backdrops but actual places you'd be visiting later, revealing its sandbox roots. In a perfect world, linear singleplayer games would be developed this way (a petpeeve of mine is when distant buildings are not given enough attention to detail haha)

10hr linear experience in a detailed world is enough to make Mafia2 a definite buy, can't wait! :D

kinda wish remedy would release an alan wake dlc at the end of the chapters that lets you freely explore the world. the setting is fantastic it's a shame you cant see all of it up close.

as for mafia, the first was linear so if this is similar then im okay with it. would be nice if they scattered some collectables around the world or something but as long as theres free roam and theres a ton of unvisited stuff to see like in the first game i'll be fine.

10 hours is really short, the fact that can be accomplished in a first play doesn't say a lot for the power run argument because then what is it? 12 or 13 for taking your time. Shame, I was looking forward to this but come on, some FPS' are longer than that.

Rad-

10 hours sounds way too short. Mafia 1 took me around 20 hours just for the main run. Hopefully this is just the reviewer being stupid and rushing it through.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If it's as long as mafia or even shorter that's actually pretty disappointing. Since they said that the script of the game was longer then the original mafia.

Sullen said:
:lol :lol i'm betting you are actually serious.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Not to expose my hand here or anything, but 10 hours means that the reviewer must have just powered through the storyline.

Looking forward to seeing the PS3 reviews. :D

itxaka

Defeatist
Dan Yo said:
If by "linear" they mean that it's like the first game in terms of freedom, then I'm just fine with that. Wouldn't have minded a few shops or side missions to find but as long as you can roam freely as in the first and maybe unlock new cars like when doing jobs for that mechanic, then that is absolutely fine.

Only part I'm disappointed by is the 10-hour part. I really don't want Mafia to end so quickly after waiting more than 8 years for a sequel.

This. The first one worked awesomely with the "linearity". I'm ok with the second being the same, we don't need another gta clone.

N.A

Banned
I don't want this to be GTA 1940's so I'm happy with the linearity.

Also the devs said in an interview they cut fully complete missions from the game as it disrupted the flow of the story. This is fine by me as GTA IV had far too many missions which the story couldn't support.

Dilly

Banned
Sullen said:

You're everything that is wrong with todays gamer mentality.

CiSTM

Banned
I'm fine with this. First game was extremely linear too and yet it was a fun game. Long as the story is good and the atmosphere is there I will enjoy it.

10 hours is perfect for me, especially if there are sidemissions and other things to besides that.

The GTA games have always had the problem that they are way way to long. In those games, you tend to forget the main focus of the story, cause spend 20 hours doing shit that´s not really related to it all (Hi San Andreas!).

And right now I´m hesitating to start playing The Witcher, cause I know that it´s a 60h+ long game.

I absolutely loved the first game and ended up pre-ordering the game anyway since I had a $20 Amazon credit that was expiring. Amazon is also giving a $10 credit for pre-ordering the game. Steamworks integration just sealed the deal for me since I can register it on Steam.

Kritz

Banned
10 hours?
Linear?

Those are both good things as far as I'm concerned. In theory this would suggest there's no filler content arbitrarily dragging on the experience.

And in what fucking world is an 8/10 a bad score? There are only two scores higher than it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kritz said:
10 hours?
Linear?

Those are both good things as far as I'm concerned. In theory this would suggest there's no filler content arbitrarily dragging on the experience.

And in what fucking world is an 8/10 a bad score? There are only two scores higher than it.

Mafia is chock full of filler despite being linear.

EuropeOG said:
10 hours? Fuck that.

Used or price drop for me.
THQ games usually drop within a few weeks.

Mafia II will be in the bargain bin selling for $19.99 by October. Bank on it. Console version I mean.

This is my most anticipated game this year but I'm still waiting to pick it up. Got too much to play already.

If I remember it correctly, I played through Mafia 1 in less than 10 hours, and I think I played it as completely linear games, just going from one mission to another.

CecilRousso said:
10 hours is perfect for me, especially if there are sidemissions and other things to besides that.

The GTA games have always had the problem that they are way way to long. In those games, you tend to forget the main focus of the story, cause spend 20 hours doing shit that´s not really related to it all (Hi San Andreas!).

And right now I´m hesitating to start playing The Witcher, cause I know that it´s a 60h+ long game.
There are people who played SA for the story ??

TheThunder said:
There are people who played SA for the story ??

Came for the story, stayed for the fun. But whether or not the story is relevant for you, the missions were structured around it, and it was just way to long for it´s own good.

Some people are acting like this is the only review we'll ever get of the game. There's still just under a month until release - there'll be other reviews.

criesofthepast said:
THQ games usually drop within a few weeks.

Mafia II will be in the bargain bin selling for $19.99 by October. Bank on it. Console version I mean.

This is my most anticipated game this year but I'm still waiting to pick it up. Got too much to play already.

It's not a THQ title.

Rimshot

What's with everybody's complaint on 10 hour length of games? To me that's the perfect length for a game, heck, if it's any longer than 12 hours I usually never end up finishing it due to my schedule. Go go go! :)

I have two questions:

1. What's wrong with being linear?

2. What's wrong with being 10 hours?

The majority of games could do with having a tighter design.

Rimshot

_Alkaline_ said:
The majority of games could do with having a tighter design.

That's also a reasoning why I want the games at 10 hours :3 Rather have 10 great hours then 40-50 mediocre hours.

Top Bottom