• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 PC first review- 80%

The two reviews differ on opinion already.

The PC review states: 'Mafia II is 10 hours of driving, story and extremely competent gun action. Running at top specs, it looks stunning, and if there was a soundtrack album, I'd buy myself a copy.'

The Xbox review states: disappointing action and boring characters

The difference between kb/m and controller?

subversus said:
Eurogamer gave 4/10 to the first Mafia or smth like that. Fuck reviews and reviewers, you should try yourself.

That's stupid.
So by trying myself, I dish out $60?
I'll wait for impressions from other players.

Gorgon

wmat said:
The poster is still talking about the second review. OXM is the Official XBox Magazine.
OXM was the first to mention these points. The poster just posted that review once more. So there's no pattern. Move along..

Sorry about that :lol

My bad!

Just paid my preorder for this game off today (PS3)!!!!! I can't wait and this is a game where I don't give a shit about the reviews!!

Goldrusher

wormstrangler said:

The PC review states: 'Mafia II is 10 hours of driving, story and extremely competent gun action. Running at top specs, it looks stunning, and if there was a soundtrack album, I'd buy myself a copy.'

Don't go there, please.

Only two reviews. And what if the comments were the other way around ?

Psy-Phi

Yasae said:
Ten hours? I'm glad they wanted such a brilliant presentation, but you gotta double that number at least.
10 hours is plenty of time.

Look at it like this: Buy 5 two hour movies for 10 hours of entertainment. Buy 1 game for 10 hours of entertainment. Either way you're out 50+ dollars.

If that still sounds like they're trying ot rip you off or some crazy idea such as that, you can go buy a book instead and read it aloud to yourself for 10 hours. That's your cheapest alternative.

Mafia's not an RPG, it's an action game with a story to fall back on.

Rainier

Goldrusher said:
Don't go there, please.

Only two reviews. And what if the comments were the other way around ?
Ah, then we can begin to throw around words like PC Port, and disappointing

Avyrocky

Banned
Ive been following this game for a long time and I will get it regardless of it being 10 hrs long, on PC of course.

wormstrangler said:

I played the 360 version at PAX, it controls fine.

Yasae

Banned
Psy-Phi said:
10 hours is plenty of time.

Look at it like this: Buy 5 two hour movies for 10 hours of entertainment. Buy 1 game for 10 hours of entertainment. Either way you're out 50+ dollars.

If that still sounds like they're trying ot rip you off or some crazy idea such as that, you can go buy a book instead and read it aloud to yourself for 10 hours. That's your cheapest alternative.

Mafia's not an RPG, it's an action game with a story to fall back on.
No, renting would be my cheapest option in both cases. Ten hours is not plenty of time. There are quite a few games delivering considerably more value. I only expect something approaching that for $50 or $60. Ten hours isn't it.

This is coming from a person who works in one of the most impoverished sectors of the entertainment industry where clients try to nickel and dime you for $50 or $60. Don't ever preach to me about price.

Prine

Banned
I think im going to remove my pre-order until it gets some solid reviews. Shame, this looked like a sure hit.

Decado

I'm playing RDR right now and would honestly be a lot happier playing a tight, action packed 12 hour long title than a game that, despite doing a lot of things very well, feels like it is out to waste my time.

Gameinformer.com has some game play up! Looks amazing!!!!!!

Its the second vid! The first vid is the Kick in the head trailer that was posted earlier in the thread!

Click It

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
cjtiger300 said:

Its the second vid! The first vid is the Kick in the head trailer that was posted earlier in the thread!

Click It

Those videos make my Win7 x64 machine blue screen. First time that has happened since I've had this computer. Your mileage may vary, but be warned.

cjtiger300 said:

Click It

Oh yes, seems awesome.
The snow segment were he walks around the city and you see the WW Bomber in the sky with the music in the background...
HOLY SHIT!

Yasae

Banned
Still looks fantastic. I do want the game, it just isn't worth quite so much. If there's a sale or price drop I'll grab it.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Oh yes, seems awesome.
The snow segment were he walks around the city and you see the WW Bomber in the sky with the music in the background...
HOLY SHIT!
Agreed on the HOLY SHIT!!!!!!! Just amazing atmosphere right there!!!!!

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I played the 360 version at PAX, it controls fine.
I played the PS3 Demo last week, it controlled horribly, and also suffered from terrible aliasing. Hopefully it was just the way the TV was set up but it certainly destroyed my hype for the game :(

UrbanRats said:
We already know system requirements?

Mafia 2 MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Processor: Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Dual core) or higher
RAM: 1.5 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI HD2600 Pro or better
Hard Disc Space: 8 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad

Mafia 2 RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
Hard Disc: 10 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compliant card
Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad

Mafia 2 PHSYX/APEX ENHANCEMENTS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7 Minimum Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
Recommended Processor: 2.66 GHz Core i7-920 RAM: 2 GB

Mafia 2 Video Cards and resolution: APEX medium settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (or better) for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better)

Mafia 2 Video Cards and resolution: APEX High settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better) and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 285 (or better) for PhysX NVIDIA GPU driver: 197.13 or later.
NVIDIA PhysX driver: 10.04.02_9.10.0522. Included and automatically installed with the game.

Oh God, are we really bitching for a 10 hours experience?

It means that fast people will go through it in roughly 8, slow players in more than 11.

I don't think games like Heavy Rain or Uncharted are short.

Yet they can last less than 10 hours.

I'll take production values, great story and polished gameplay over silly gameplay fillers (say, dungeon) and redundant storytelling everyday.

The greatest games of this generation are fairly short, some of them are incredibly short.

Not to say that if one doesn't like the game, he/she is free to leave it on the shelf. I don't think there's someone pointing a gun at our heads forcing us to buy something we don't like.

And as someone already mentioned, there are plenty of way to test the game before purchasing it.

/rant.

Dilly

Banned
The other review posted here stated it took them 13.5 hours without side missions, so I don't see the problem.

metareferential said:
Oh God, are we really bitching for a 10 hours experience?

It means that fast people will go through it in roughly 8, slow players in more than 11.

I don't think games like Heavy Rain or Uncharted are short.

Yet they can last less than 10 hours.

I'll take production values, great story and polished gameplay over silly gameplay fillers (say, dungeon) and redundant storytelling everyday.

The greatest games of this generation are fairly short, some of them are incredibly short.

Not to say that if one doesn't like the game, he/she is free to leave it on the shelf. I don't think there's someone pointing a gun at our heads forcing us to buy something we don't like.

And as someone already mentioned, there are plenty of way to test the game before purchasing it.

/rant.

The thing is, people are bitching of 10 hours rushing without any sidequest or city strolls, there is another preview it says they lasted 13 and a half without doing any sidequest. Bishop even confirmed they had rushed A LOT.

The game is probably 15 hours with the story and sidequests completed, maybe even more with city strolls viewing how well is made and free ride if its added again in the game.

I know one friend that beated Mass effect 2 in 8 hours the first time he played, it lasted me 57, becuase you know, I like to play my games.

EDIT: beaten.

rvy

Banned
... How do you fit 10 years of Vito's life in 13 hours gameplay? Uh, whatever. I hope this doesn't disappoint.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, these complaints about length are getting out of control. An estimate of 10 hours is great for a linear story driven game.

Some of you must have ridiculous amounts of free time. :\

Otacon

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I know one friend that beat Mass effect 2 in 8 hours
4u9pdt3.gif

mujun

dark10x said:
Man, these complaints about length are getting out of control. An estimate of 10 hours is great for a linear story driven game.

Some of you must have ridiculous amounts of free time. :\

Maybe it's the fault of the enthusiast press, I thought this was a GTAesque open-world game.

GeoramA

Well shit. I'm not pre-ordering now unless I get $20 back at Amazon or something.

I played some awesome open world games this year (Just Cause 2/RDR/GTA IV Episodes) and I expected Mafia 2 to be up there with them, but we're getting a linear shooter instead.

So disappointed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So basically this thread is filled with people who have most likely never played Mafia before?

GeoramA

speedpop said:
So basically this thread is filled with people who have most likely never played Mafia before?
Does that really matter? If Red Dead Redemption was a linear shooter like it's predecessor then I would be disappointed in that too.

I just expected Mafia 2 would evolve a lot from the first game, that's all.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
GeoramA said:
Well shit. I'm not pre-ordering now unless I get $20 back at Amazon or something.

I played some awesome open world games this year (Just Cause 2/RDR/GTA IV Episodes) and I expected Mafia 2 to be up there with them, but we're getting a linear shooter instead.

So disappointed.
It's not a linear shooter! A linear shooter is something different.

You can drive around in the city with different cars, help dudes on the street out, play cat 'n mouse with the cops — that's all still there.

The missions are mostly as linear as the ones in GTA 4 were, just much more fleshed out. Hopefully.

Dilly

Banned
GeoramA said:
Does that really matter? If Red Dead Redemption was a linear shooter like it's predecessor then I would be disappointed in that too.

I just expected Mafia 2 would evolve a lot from the first game, that's all.

Making a Mafia a full sandbox game isn't evolving the series. It's leaving its roots.

Top Bottom