• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our hands-on impressions of the Switch

First of all, I hope I don't break any rules by making a topic for my hands-on experience with the Switch. I have no harm in mind, I just want to share my impressions to help Gaffers in finding out the pro's and con's of the Switch. I also thought maybe we could make this the official hands-on impression thread for Gaffers that have played on it? If not, no problem.

I was at the Frankfurt press event yesterday on invitation as I'm a journalist for a few Dutch gamesites. You can view a video with impressions here and here is a written hands-on impression. Here is another hands-on article I wrote for another site. However, that's all in Dutch so most of you won't have use of it, but I know there are some fellow Dutchies here who might want to check it out.

cbrz1mO.jpg

Anyway, I wanted to write out some of my impressions in English so you might get a better picture of what we're dealing with here.

The system

Let me begin with the most positive aspect of the Switch and its games: the system itself. I was truly blown away with how 'mature' and 'techy' the console and different controllers felt. This is by far the most adult feeling console Nintendo has ever made. The Switch itself (the 'handheld'), the Joy-Con and Pro Controller all feel very sleek and all the controllers, even the seperate Joy-Cons that you use as Wiimotes, have a nice weight to them. I especially didn't expect that with the Joy-Con parts, in video's they looked very light and too small, but with the straps on they felt truly perfect in my hands. I don't have the biggest hands in the world at all, pretty regular hands I suppose.

The switching between the television screen and the Switch-screen works fantastic. I tried it out on Zelda: Breath of the Wild and it's pretty much instantly with perhaps a second or max. 2 seconds delay. You just plug in the Joy-Cons on the sides of the Switch, pull it out and the game goes further on the screen. You get a prompt on the screen that you should press L and R to 'confirm' the switch and then hey presto, you just play on.

I actually thought it didn't work that well in the beginning, because I placed the Switch in the dock and it took like 15 seconds before an image appeared on screen. Eventually I learned it was the fault of the tv, because I played long on the Switch-screen, the television screen had gone out so it had the find the signal again. So again, switching between the screen and the television is very, very fast. The dock has this soft stuff in the inside that makes the Switch-screen slide in easily without damaging it.

On the subject of the screen on the Switch, I was blown away by the quality. It looks very good, it's really like playing a Wii U game on the go and it is MILES better than the screen on the Wii U GamePad. Zelda was in 720p and I thiiiink you see a little less detail than on television but truly it doesn't matter cause the screen is smaller, it just looks great. And holding the Switch feels good as well, its like you have a bigger Vita in your hands. It's very thin which surprised me. After playing Zelda for 15 minutes on the thing it got a bit warm on the backside. It didn't bother me at all or anything and it wasn't VERY hot, but you just felt a bit of warmth, which seems logical.

The Games

So I've played most games on the event, I won't talk about all of them as for instance games like Sonic Mania and Street Fighter you pretty much know what to expect.

Of course the most interesting game for gamers is Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It was actually the same demo I've played last year on E3 (although it was on the Wii U there), so it was on the plateau. So that's why I don't really have a lot to tell about the gameplay, you probably know most of it already. I do saw some graphical differences though compared to the Wii U version, although its kinda difficult to judge without having that version running next to it. I think I saw a better framerate, and I definititely saw more details on screens. It's not an earth shattering difference mind you, it's not like the difference between a PS3 and PS4 for instance, but it's nice enough to make the Switch-version of Zelda the version to get imo.

I was very surprised by ARMS. Like most of you, when it got revealed right after 1-2-Switch I kinda shrugged my shoulders thinking the game wouldn't be for me, but I couldn't have been more wrong. When you first start playing you start acting like it's Wii Sports Boxing, because you hold the two Joy-Con controllers in both of your hands just like on the Wii, but after enough games you start to calm down and realise there is a lot of depth and tactics in this game. For instance, by boxing with your arm in a 'bow' so to speak, the arm on screen does the same and that is a way to get by defenses of your opponent. Also the different weapons really change how you play as they all act so differently. I had a lot of fun playing this and I can't wait to try it out more and really sink my teeth in it.

I can't say the same of 1-2-Switch and imo it should be a pack-in or something. There's just... not much in there. There's almost nothing happening on screen and it's really about the interaction between you and your opponent in real life. I had quite a few laughs by drawing my gun, western style, fighting with samurai swords and milking cows (that was kind of a hit because the up and down movement of your wrists made people think of masturbation, lol, people were joking how did this get past Nintendo), so I can't say it's boring, but I just don't see this being any fun after a few drinking nights with friends. Perhaps they'll surprise us with more content in it than expected but for now, I wouldn't pay full price for this game.

Thing is, these games with the couple of other third party games on launch (ARMS isn't even a launch game as far as I know), are quite scarce for a launch. I do like what I saw for the rest of the year. For instance Mario Kart 8 Deluxe played like a dream, it was the Wii U-game with a bit more detail and it played very nice on the screen of the Switch, it felt good to have this game on a 'handheld', but it also depends on if they will add more cups imo. Well I'll get it anyway, but I could imagine not all Wii U-owners are looking forward to pay full price for a battle mode and a new Splatoon-track. We'll see. Speaking of Splatoon, the second game was a lot of fun, but again I saw almost no difference with the Wii U version, apart from that it has of course new weapons and arena's. At least there should be no fear that the game won't work without GamePad, because id played like a charm.

There were a few other games playable like Street Figher, Sonic Mania, the remaster of Fast Racing Neo and Bomberman, but most of the games for later in the year weren't there, like Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the various Square Enix rpg's.

My conclusion for now

I had a lot of fun and as a Nintendo-fan and someone who plays pretty much on all consoles, I will absolutely get the system on launch if there are enough units and my pre-order works as intended. But I'm a special case compared to most consumers, so through the eyes of a normal consumer it's difficult to really make a descision right now. Thing is, the system itself is fantastic. The 'lack' of power (compared to direct competition) doesn't bother me so much in that the games look great, I find it far more important that the system and the ways to control all look and feel great, luxury, techy and 'finished'. Where the Wii U felt like a giant toy, this feels like a real piece of hardware. So props to Nintendo far that.

However, I find the games line-up still lacking, as most of you do. Don't get me wrong, it's no joke getting perhaps one of the best Zelda-games in recent years on launch and Mario Kart the month after, with a new 3D Mario platformer in the same year, and Splatoon for the sales (especially in Japan). That is a strong first party line-up. But we all know Nintendo needs more games as third parties are quite lacking. Its way too early to tell how third parties will treat the Switch but if you look at the launch line up and the rest of 2017, it isn't incredibly promising, especially for western third parties. Japan seems to be quite warmer to the system though, so that has me excited.

So in short: very excited for the potential of the system and the look and feel of it, still undecided if the games line-up will be enough. Nintendo-games in the first year are good, but we need more. This is make or break time for Nintendo and I expect them to fire on all cilinders, so c'mon Ninty, show us what you've got!

If you folks have any questions I will try to answer them. Thanks for reading!

wapplew

Does Switch support HDMI-CEC? AKA auto switch to correct HDMI signal when you slot the main unit in the dock.

was about to ask if handheld -> tv is a bit slower than tv -> handheld but seems tv that you mentioned had a signal lost or whatever it is

Fliesen

From looking at it and putting the Switch into the dock, do you feel like it'd be feasible to slide the Screen into the dock horizontally? - Does it slide in snugly as to not put any strain on the USB-C connector?

From looking at it and putting the Switch into the dock, do you feel like it'd be feasible to slide the Screen into the dock horizontally? - Does it slide in snugly as to not put any strain on the USB-C connector?

No I think you really need to slide it in from above.

Sliding it in feels very easy and i saw this soft stuff inside so I dont think the screen or anything else will get strained. Nintendo would be stupid to haven't thought that out.

Mung

720p is a great resolution for the tablet. Wish Zelda hit 1080 on the TV though. Anyway, really excited about this, and will probably buy for zelda alone.

720p is a great resolution for the tablet. Wish Zelda hit 1080 on the TV though. Anyway, really excited about this, and will probably buy for zelda alone.

Zelda really looks better than the wii u version. Thought its difficult to compare without the wii u version I am 99 percent positive i saw more details and richer colors.

LUNA

Thanks for the impressions!!

Nintendo gets me everytime with his control methods, that's why the game I want to try is 1-2 Switch! I guess it will give an impression of what that HDrumble can do.

Ps: would you mind to confirm if the triggers are digital or analog? I cannot find it...thanks.

psyfi

Banned
I've heard nothing but good things about Arms so far. I really hope it has a decent amount of content, because it sounds like the core gameplay is really something unique.

Thrilled to hear so many people loving Arms! I'm hoping it releases sooner rather than later, as it's one of my most anticipated at the moment.

Thanks for the impressions!!

Nintendo gets me everytime with his control methods, that's why the game I want to try is 1-2 Switch! I guess it will give an impression of what that HDrumble can do.

Ps: would you mind to confirm if the triggers are digital or analog? I cannot find it...thanks.

Wish I paid attention to that, i do felt an extra click when pushing them all the way... but cant answer this for sure.

While I find it marketing talk how Nintendo calls it HD Rumble it was the best most nuanced rumble I ever felt. It is noticable during 1 2 Switch and ARMS because you have the joycon in a wii-like set up.

I've heard nothing but good things about Arms so far. I really hope it has a decent amount of content, because it sounds like the core gameplay is really something unique.

Did you get to try Arms without the motion controls? Or were they demoing the motion stuff exclusively?

Thrilled to hear so many people loving Arms! I'm hoping it releases sooner rather than later, as it's one of my most anticipated at the moment.

Only played the motion controls with ARMS, don't think there was a traditional set up but to be honest I would want to play this game with motion controls, it's much more nuanced and detailed than playing with a Wiimote. ARMS really surprised me, I'm as sceptical as they come but the game has really won me over. It's very fun on the surface and very deep once you realise the different moves and weapons you can use. Only thing Nintendo needs to do is add a lot of content.

Kaelan

Enjoyed reading your impressions, thanks! Did you hear anything if there is a Smash bros port? And if party/voice chat is native on the OS by any chance

Enjoyed reading your impressions, thanks! Did you hear anything if there is a Smash bros port? And if party/voice chat is native on the OS by any chance

No problem! Nope, haven't heard anything about both unfortunately. Apart from playing the games and the system most of us journalists are as much in the dark about those subjects as you.

FelipeMGM

And holding the Switch feels good as well, its like you have a bigger Vita in your hands.

Oh yes

Im so sold on the hardware itself, I just hope Nintendo can have a great simple and intuitive OS supporting it, with a decent online program and infrastructure. Which has me worried, because they didnt said jack shit about that in the presentation. Their online program description on the website sucks hard too.

Thank you for the impressions! Aside Zelda, I am looking forward to Arms, so it is encouraging to see so many people are enjoying the game.

forms

I get the interest in Zelda, and I am pretty intrigued myself, but are people actually interested in more Kart games?

Anyhow, thank you for your impressions. Sounds good that they have gone for a techie feel, as the "toy" branding of the U was pretty hard to get rid of. Interested in seeing where this ends regarding dev support.

Oh yes

Im so sold on the hardware itself, I just hope Nintendo can have a great simple and intuitive OS supporting it, with a decent online program and infrastructure. Which has me worried, because they didnt said jack shit about that in the presentation.

Believe me FelipeMGM I am SO sold on the hardware as well, no question. I truly love it. That's why I want it to succeed and I want to see more support! The launch line-up is very scarce and the rest of 2017 is looking okay-ish (great for Nintendo-games, good for japanese third party support and meh for western third party support). I suppose a lot of it hangs on how succesful the console will become.

Thank you for the impressions! Aside Zelda, I am looking forward to Arms, so it is encouraging to see so many people are enjoying the game.

Again, yes, ARMS is very fun and deeper than you might think at first.

I get the interest in Zelda, and I am pretty intrigued myself, but are people actually interested in more Kart games?

Anyhow, thank you for your impressions. Sounds good that they have gone for a techie feel, as the "toy" branding of the U was pretty hard to get rid of. Interested in seeing where this ends regarding dev support.

More Kart games are always nice as Mario Kart-games are some of the best racing games around. But this is ofcourse not a new game, so each person has to decide for themselves if they want to buy it again. If it is your first time buying Mario Kart 8 it isn't really a question at all as far as I'm concerned.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
Neoagaf might actually be wrong on this, I mean I haven't read a negative impression from a non gamer site yet like Time, Forbes etc.

Sure yeah to us gamers the price point and lineup aren't good enough but we shouldn't forget that we don't necessarily represent the entire market.

I could see this really becoming a thing when the price goes down a bit.

Ladekabel

Thanks for your impressions. Reads like it is a good piece of hardware with good games down the line that seems to be held back by Nintendo's baffling decisions.

Were the triggers analog or digital? Thanks!

I'll quote myself on that:

Wish I paid attention to that, i do felt an extra click when pushing them all the way... but cant answer this for sure.

Neoagaf might actually be wrong on this, I mean I haven't read a negative impression from a non gamer site yet like Time, Forbes etc.

Sure yeah to us gamers the price point and lineup aren't good enough but we shouldn't forget that we don't necessarily represent the entire market.

I could see this really becoming a thing when the price goes down a bit.

Well the previews I write for the gamesites aren't positive 100 percent. I praise the system and write that the games line-up needs to be fleshed out more, so there's that. NeoGAF is right on that I think.

My Hands-On Impressions (From Tokyo Big Sight)

Hardware: Incredible screen. Zelda looks beautiful and crisp on it. In Handheld mode the unit is a tad bigger than my vita. Its a bit thinner and around the same weight. Considering the screen is noticeable bigger than the vita screen thats quite nice. Joycons feel nice in the cradle. Its basically a regular controller. I dont think i will be needing a Pro Controller. Joycon Motion control seems more accurate then before. Rumble is really subtle and you can certainly "feel" more like individual columns moving in zelda, when a gate opens.

Games

Street Fighter 2: I played it on TV with the two joycons in the cradle. Plays well. Clearly based on HD Remix. They also had a tablet set up with each player playing on the joycon. Looked nice on the switch screen as well.

Zelda: Its the E3 demo but its the first time for me. Game looks beautiful and like a lot pf fun.

Arms: This was the highlight for me. I played Ribbon Girl abd Mechanica and each character has so much charm and she lays so differently. Game certainly has a lot of depth. Cabt wait to play the full version.

Lilo_D

Impression is always appreciate
We have enough trash talk post, I just love the thought from who has hands on a real switch

Alpha_eX

Tried it yesterday too, Nintendo need more.credit for the hardware, amazing screen, very response joy-cons, HD rumble is a game changer and the procontroller is very good indeed, better than dual shock.

Alpha_eX

SF2 looks so rough in full screen, you can see white artifacts around the characters where they appear to have been poorly cropped. It feels sluggish and just baffles me that it's not finished and is an enhanced 360 port at full rrp.

tpfkanep

How long does loading the console from power-on to:
- OS take?
- game start screen (I take it this thing can boot straight into a game)

Once a Zelda cart is inserted: How long does it take to load?

Going from game back to OS: is it sluggish?

Are there lots of loading screens/slowdown in Zelda when transitioning from one area to the next?

Can you create save states?

Is a game cart bound to a console?

Dankie.

- OS take?

Are there lots of loading screens/slowdown in Zelda when transitioning from one area to the next?

Dankie.

These are all things that we couldn't test out, as we weren't allowed to get out of the game on the demo pods. There was no OS menu for us to test. Sorry, as I'm curious about all these things as well!!!

Alpha_eX

- OS take?

Dankie.

They were Dev kits and the OS wasn't shown.

Build of Zelda was an old one, but didn't notice any slow transitions. Did like how you could just say bye to and skip the old man speech.

Top selling game on Wii U, and the entries on wii and 3ds were second best selling on their platforms with nearly 50 million sales between the three... Yeah, people like kart games.

AGoodODST

Cool impressions.

Arms looked pretty interesting in the presentation so cool to hear positive impressions. Do you think the gameplay has enough depth to it from you played? One concern is that due to the motion controls it's really simple.

Can I ask you if the triggers are digital or analog?

I'll quote myself:

Sorry! It's sometimes difficult to really notice all nuances when you're at an event, it is quite hectic.

Cool impressions.

Arms looked pretty interesting in the presentation so cool to hear positive impressions. Do you think the gameplay has enough depth to it from you played? One concern is that due to the motion controls it's really simple.

The gameplay absolutely, like I said in the beginning you start to play like its Wii Boxing and after a while you find out it works much better when you are more calm and relaxed and time your blows better by watching what your opponent does. There are multiple strategies, like grappling your opponent and then getting them close and deliver multiple blows, or placing your hits with effect so you bypass their blocking, or choosing two very different boxing gloves for each hand to have a good attack for close combat and a good attack for combat from afar. The depth in the gameplay is there, they just need to ensure there's enough content in the game.

Machina

Banned
Tried it yesterday too, Nintendo need more.credit for the hardware, amazing screen, very response joy-cons, HD rumble is a game changer and the procontroller is very good indeed, better than dual shock.

Uhhh can we get a healthy post extrapolating on this plz??

FelipeMGM

Believe me FelipeMGM I am SO sold on the hardware as well, no question. I truly love it. That's why I want it to succeed and I want to see more support! The launch line-up is very scarce and the rest of 2017 is looking okay-ish (great for Nintendo-games, good for japanese third party support and meh for western third party support). I suppose a lot of it hangs on how succesful the console will become.

I feel the exact same. Zelda will be awesome, so will Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. But in its living cycle the Wii U had great Nintendo games too, so the lineup atm is not inspiring.

Nintendo will have to bank their software lineup at first to attract developers to work on software focused on this system (not ports and such), and thats also something that has me worried. They should have showed us way more games than they did to address that matter. This is not an usual console launch situation, they are coming from the Wii U, which is one of the biggest failures in console history, they should have come straight up solving all the issues we had about that system to get us confident on the prospect of the Switch, too bad that did not happen at that presentation.

Hope they can turn that around

deleted

Hey, nice write up.

I've got a question to the 8 player Mario Kart table. Did you play it on there?
Was it hard to set up? Did you play a race or battle mode?
Did you ask, if you could play with two people on each Switch? So in theory 4 switches/2 players?

And did you notice any lag whatsoever?

Alpha_eX

Uhhh can we get a healthy post extrapolating on this plz??

The demo that blew my mind was the marble box.

Imagine you are holding a small wooden box, with x amount of marbles inside. As you move the box, you can feel them move and clack against each other.

The Joy-con can emulate this feeling incredibly well, I was able clearly feel three separate marbles rolling down the side of the Joy-con and then each hitting each other as they got to the bottom.

The 1-2-Switch marble box mini game asks you to guess how many marbles are in your joycon by moving it. Pretty much every time I could guess, even when there were 6-7 in there.

That was special, it even gave a false sense of weight due to the rumbles. I really like the tech.

The ice cube thing is legit.

Hey, nice write up.

I've got a question to the 8 player Mario Kart table. Did you play it on there?
Was it hard to set up? Did you play a race or battle mode?
Did you ask, if you could play with two people on each Switch? So in theory 4 switches/2 players?

And did you notice any lag whatsoever?

Yes, I played it on that table with 7 other players in one race. It wasn't hard to set up at all, although the systems were all contected already obviously so I can't speak about that.

But when you begin the race everyone selects a racer and then chooses a track, and the game will then randomly choose a track out of the tracks players chose. We've played race, haven't played the battle mode.

Next to the roundtable there was a television with one Switch and there two people could race against each other so you can play against each other on one Switch yes. I noticed no lag.

-----

I'll echo what Alpha says about the rumble. Its the best rumble I've ever felt. I find it kinda over the top for Nintendo to really push it like that with marketing it like HD Rumble or whatever, but it does feel good, yes. Its more that I am afraid that after a while Nintendo and other developers just forget about it and just use it normally, that happens with so many stuff Nintendo creates unfortunately.

Thansk guys for your impressions and keep em coming!

About the upcoming games, I wouldn't worry just yet :)

The whole year is ahead of US and there will be some nice stuff coming. Don't jump the gun just yet.

Top Bottom