• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

I've only just returned to the game after about 25 hours clocked and am still impressed with it. The combat can be fun although the camera is garbage at times. The cast is great, and the side quests take you to a variety of locations you otherwise wouldn't find unless you explored.

Lots of post game stuff to look forward too as well. Well deserved after that hellish development.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
:)

I'm happy.

Japanese games can sell provided they are marketed and shown in their best light.

Regardless of my pros and cons opinion of the game itself this is great news for Japanese gaming hoping to expand overseas and grow.

I'm looking for Atlus and Sony's partnership to market the fuck out of Persona 5, but to my irritation they seem to not have bothered.

If one of these other franchises blows up, they could have as big a fanbase and newcomers interested as well in their own way. And i definitely know P5 is going to have a higher critical reception in general than FF15.

How you get people involved in these games is creating a loyal fanbase.

Congratulations to Tabata, BD2 and Square Enix as a whole.

I can see how it's an extremely divisive game, but the boldness of the game imo, is unquestionably worthy of praise and if all rumours are true, a game that went through very challenging development over the years, but still a product with a bold identity that challenges many norms of the series, while still feeling like an FF game, with all the good and bad that comes with the association.

Above all, the fact that this game sold well only means that the future where mainline FF games continue to be high-budget, AAA games on the console for a global market remains.

Koozek

tV5IHxb.gif

(Bless you whoever made this).
Thank you :-*

Zedark

:)

I'm happy.

Japanese games can sell provided they are marketed and shown in their best light.

Regardless of my pros and cons opinion of the game itself this is great news for Japanese gaming hoping to expand overseas and grow.

I'm looking for Atlus and Sony's partnership to market the fuck out of Persona 5, but to my irritation they seem to not have bothered.

If one of these other franchises blows up, they could have as big a fanbase and newcomers interested as well in their own way. And i definitely know P5 is going to have a higher critical reception in general than FF15.

How you get people involved in these games is creating a loyal fanbase.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw ;)

We know that Persona is already quite big, seeing as Persona 4 Golden sold over 1 million already. I definitely share your hope that Sony will partner with Atlus to push this, though they seem to have no real incentive to do so, especially seeing as they even leave their own Japanese game to die.
Poor GR2 :(

Lucifon

Impressive. It's one of my least favourite FF's ever. Sunk about 5 hours into it but I think I'm just going to trade it in at this point as it's still not clicking.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw ;)

We know that Persona is already quite big, seeing as Persona 4 Golden sold over 1 million already. I definitely share your hope that Sony will partner with Atlus to push this, though they seem to have no real incentive to do so, especially seeing as they even leave their own Japanese game to die.
Poor GR2 :(

:/ I dont get the disconnect between Sony and its American marketing arm specifically. SIEE is doing everything they need to do, hell just look at both of their twitter home pages. SIEA is promotiong call of duty all over the place, SIEE does a clever tribute to Grav Rush 2 by inverting everything and having ads everywhere.

Hell SIEA cant even put up youtube videos on time and properly whereas SIEE's channel will have them up for days and even weeks before.

It just feels like a self fulfilling prophecy. Games dont sell in America cause you dont market which then leads to the perception that games dont sell, so you dont market and so on.

Its also strange because they marketed TLG of all things decently well and it sold over 200k not including digital sales, that's no joke considering TLG was always considered super niche and ICO and SOTC did notably lower than that in their respective launch months.

MaKTaiL

I don't understand all the Neogaf hate. This was my first FF ever and I loved everything. All my friends loved the game as well and it was a huge success here in Brazil. It also helped being the first FF ever to be fully translated into Portuguese.

Zedark

:/ I dont get the disconnect between Sony and its American marketing arm specifically. SIEE is doing everything they need to do, hell just look at both of their twitter home pages. SIEA is promotiong call of duty all over the place, SIEE does a clever tribute to Grav Rush 2 by inverting everything and having ads everywhere.

Hell SIEA cant even put up youtube videos on time and properly whereas SIEE's channel will have them up for days and even weeks before.

It just feels like a self fulfilling prophecy. Games dont sell in America cause you dont market which then leads to the perception that games dont sell, so you dont market and so on.

Its also strange because they marketed TLG of all things decently well and it sold over 200k not including digital sales, that's no joke considering TLG was always considered super niche and ICO and SOTC did notably lower than that in their respective launch months.

Well, you should keep in mind that SOTC sold really, really well, around 2.7 million units worldwide. That is quite a step up from what GR2 will be able to achieve most likely, even if it had all the marketing in the world. Considering TLG sold nearly three times what SOTC sold in NA, sold better at launch than SOTC in the UK, and came reasonably close in Japan, we seem to be looking at a similar sized or maybe even larger hit, meaning it will land around 3 million, which is an amazing number for a first party game, probably about comparable to AAA games Killzone Shadow Fall, Bloodborne (maybe AAA?) and Infamous SS.

Ahasverus

Thank you guys for beta testing this game until they release the real edition I wiññ be buying :3 .Jk

For real, this is great for a jrpg, keep them coming SE.

StereoVsn

Well, you should keep in mind that SOTC sold really, really well, around 2.7 million units worldwide. That is quite a step up from what GR2 will be able to achieve most likely, even if it had all the marketing in the world. Considering TLG sold nearly three times what SOTC sold in NA, sold better at launch than SOTC in the UK, and came reasonably close in Japan, we seem to be looking at a similar sized or maybe even larger hit, meaning it will land around 3 million, which is an amazing number for a first party game, probably about comparable to AAA games Killzone Shadow Fall, Bloodborne (maybe AAA?) and Infamous SS.
It costs almost nothing for them to put up a few YouTube videos, blog posts, twitter, etc... There is no effort.

At least they are doing better with Yakuza 0 but it really sucks that they do not care at all about GR2 marketing in the West. Nobody is asking for TV ads.

Yopis

I liked Cindy. Game was unfinished and they took alot of shortcuts.

Still enjoyed though. Hope they respect the legacy more moving forward. Boss fights should not be QuickTime events in a FF game.

Congrats to them though. This forum thinks it's the center of the world sometimes. It's just a forum like any other and it was wrong.

Putting things into perspective:

FFXV - 1.5 million retail + 300k+ digital = 1.8-2 million
FF13 - 1.3 million
FF12 - 900k
Witcher 3 - 700k

Biggest RPG after Bethesda stuff. Looking at 8-10 million LTD and one of the most, if not the most successful FF's ever (DLC, season pass, digital).

Obligatory chuckle at all those people who thought the game wouldn't even reach FF13's sales. Basically:

latest

Noctis stays treasured.

Daymos

Thank God, so many haters for the game from its first gameplay video up until this day. I'm having a blast with the game. Its a unique flavor for sure but one I like.

The massive changes to the open world and action-style combat have been a turn-off to long-time series fans, and JRPG fans in general that have carried the series in the past. At the same time, it's obviously brought in tons and tons of new players. This game infuriates me. There's so much wrong with it, both objectively and what I'm looking for in a game, yet I can't stop wasting time in it. Disclaimer: I've had at least a snack of crow, as an amazing #10 for the year is far beyond what I expected out of it. Top game after shooters and sports? I'll take it.

To anyone here looking for a more "traditional" turn-based recent FF experience, I highly recommend World Of Final Fantasy. Cheesy story and main characters, overloaded with endless fan service, but it's so damn cute and just outright fun to play that it doesn't matter. Contains an awesome version of FF's most renowned hero, Cloud Lightning Squall Vivi Yuna Terra Ultros Quistus Robot Cid Shantotto!

Zedark

It costs almost nothing for them to put up a few YouTube videos, blog posts, twitter, etc... There is no effort.

At least they are doing better with Yakuza 0 but it really sucks that they do not care at all about GR2 marketing in the West. Nobody is asking for TV ads.

That's true, they should do what you mention. My comment easn't aimed at a fictional assumption that GR2 should get tv ads, but specifically at the last line, where the post wondered why TLG got the push it got.

Kikujiro

I'm actually pretty surprised at the FFXV numbers, people expected it to do worse than FFXIII, which was a series record, not only it did better, but if we include digital it sold much more, nobody expected a growth.

Despite the FFXIII trilogy decline, despite the FFXIV disaster, despite having four "emo" boy band members as the main protagonists, despite the "questionable" marketing according to some people here, the game sold around 2 million copies in the US, the land of first person shooters.

A PC release and a GOTY complete edition re-release will put the game way above FFXIII.

Hope Tabata is enjoying Civilization.

duckroll

Nope. It won't come close to the sales of the X remaster, which were around 500k or so in NPD. X remaster sold better than Lightning Returns.

I expect XII HD to sell the same as Type-0 HD, which means somewhere between 200 to 300k.

I doubt it because:
  • Vaan, and the fact that his arc is among the first impression you get of the game (right after the prologue) is probably a giga turn off for the western masses
  • It's a 10 year old game
  • Battle system is not action enough for the current western masses
  • SE will not invest as much in its marketing. SE did a bunch of crazy shit for XV like Uber collab, an Uncovered event, etc.

XII HD is for the fans, for people who already know what they are getting into

I don't think so. Actually I think FFXII HD will come short of most expectations sales-wise. It won't reach numbers FFX HD did. FFX is a special gem in people's heart.

I see. I guess S-E was right to fire Matsuno and window seat Ito after all then. Worthless employees who can't even sell a remaster to a modern obvious. Too bad.

Koozek

FF13 - 1.3 million
FF12 - 900k
Witcher 3 - 700k

Biggest RPG after Bethesda stuff. Looking at 8-10 million LTD and one of the most, if not the most successful FF's ever (DLC, season pass, digital).

Obligatory chuckle at all those people who thought the game wouldn't even reach FF13's sales. Basically:

latest

Noctis stays treasured.
Eje3Hn4.gif

napata

FF13 - 1.3 million
FF12 - 900k
Witcher 3 - 700k

Noctis stays treasured.

The Witcher 3 is bigger than that unless you were just referring to the USA. Last time we heard it was near 10 million. It did however have an extra platform but I don't think the PC numbers for XV are going to be anywhere close to the W3's.

X is probably the second most beloved game in the series, obviously after VII.

The massive changes to the open world and action-style combat have been a turn-off to long-time series fans, and JRPG fans in general that have carried the series in the past. At the same time, it's obviously brought in tons and tons of new players. This game infuriates me. There's so much wrong with it, both objectively and what I'm looking for in a game, yet I can't stop wasting time in it. Disclaimer: I've had at least a snack of crow, as an amazing #10 for the year is far beyond what I expected out of it. Top game after shooters and sports? I'll take it.

To anyone here looking for a more "traditional" turn-based recent FF experience, I highly recommend World Of Final Fantasy. Cheesy story and main characters, overloaded with endless fan service, but it's so damn cute and just outright fun to play that it doesn't matter. Contains an awesome version of FF's most renowned hero, Cloud Lightning Squall Vivi Yuna Terra Ultros Quistus Robot Cid Shantotto!

A lie. FF isn't solely defined by its battle system.

So, how many copies should the game sell at usd 60 tobe considered a success?. If Tomb Raider needed like 4 or 5 millions i think, should this one need like 10 millions?

The Witcher 3 is bigger than that unless you were just referring to the USA. Last time we heard it was near 10 million. It did however have an extra platform but I don't think the PC numbers for XV are going to be anywhere close to the W3's.

Witcher 3 NPD debut - 700k
LTD - 10 million

Witcher 3 had a long tail and of course PC SKU, but I reckon since FFXV sold so much in its first month (5 million+) at near full price it made a hell of a lot more. FFXV LTD will be 8-10 million. I'd say FFXV's sales are far more impressive.

So, how many copies should the game sell at usd 60 tobe considered a success?. If Tomb Raider needed like 4 or 5 millions i think, should this one need like 10 millions?
No 10 mil was the team goal. Square-wouldn't have said a damn thing about sales if it wasn't a success, Tabata wouldn't be able to expand the dlc roadmap if it didn't do well

Ochibi

So, for Worldwide sales, it should be around 3~4 millions at the moment right ?

Considering in Europe, it's also around 1 million, Japan is 1 million, and America is around 1,5-2 million. Stlil needs more numbers for China (& maybe Korea ?) and South America ?

LTD - 10 million

Witcher 3 had a long tail and of course PC SKU, but I reckon since FFXV sold so much in its first month (5 million+) at near full price it made a hell of a lot more. FFXV LTD will be 8-10 million. I'd say FFXV's sales are far more impressive.

I mean FF XV is selling great and will have great LTD globally but lets not go to hyperbole land. Going from niche PC series to 10+ million selling global hit is more impressive than series that has done well for decades selling well.

So, for Worldwide sales, it should be around 3~4 millions at the moment right ?

Considering in Europe, it's also around 1 million, Japan is 1 million, and America is around 1,5-2 million. Stlil needs more numbers for China (& maybe Korea ?) and South America ?

SE announced 5 million shipped + Digital at launch, and 6 million shipped + digital a couple of weeks ago.

Unless retailers ordered another million copies because they like the look of unsold FFXV cases flooding their stores, the thing is likely very close or past 6 million by now.

Really glad the game achieved those numbers! I am super eager to see what Square Enid has in store for us in the next instalments. The good thing is that if they want to change engine, they can still import assets from XV and get them for a new game without too much effort. I think FFXV was the big challenge they needed to breach through HD gaming.

Gurish

I can think of a few reasons .
FF brand seem to be stronger than what people thought .
People were really looking forward to a new mainline game ( not counting FFXIV)
Good reviews and marketing plus being open world action base help in the west .
Also i don't think the genre was declining since FFXIII sold more than FFXII people were just tired of FFXIII .

Side note if FFVIIR get done right it going to be huge .

That's a good answer, thanks.

Obviously marketing did it's job and retailers bought the hell out of FFXV, but they ended up selling it at less than $40 during the first month. GTA doesn't drop in price like that. I'm more looking for a Japanese game, especially an RPG, to hold it's MSRP while selling multi millions to really buy into the feel good story.

Ochibi

SE announced 5 million shipped + Digital at launch, and 6 million shipped + digital a couple of weeks ago.

Unless retailers ordered another million copies because they like the look of unsold FFXV cases flooding their stores, the thing is likely very close or past 6 million by now.

That sounds very good for the series

FF7R is going to be big.

I mean FF XV is selling great and will have great LTD globally but lets not go to hyperbole land. Going from niche PC series to 10+ million selling global hit is more impressive than series that has done well for decades selling well.

Witcher 2 had a 5-6 million LTD iirc. I find FFXV more impressive due to how strong initial sales are. No other non-Bethesda RPG comes near, its closest title is F4 with 2.5 million (retail only, Skyrim was 2.7 million iirc).

Of course Witcher's growth is remarkable.

napata

LTD - 10 million

But the Witcher 3 also sold 6 million in the same timespan as FFXV.

Edit: Hold on, you talk about full price but wasn't FFXV 40$ in less than a month?

Koozek

5-6M should be enough to break even, especially with the additional revenue from digital sales and Season Pass/DLCs. They passed that mark already. Everything above 7M would certainly be a nice success. The 10M number that is always falsely thrown around here and was mentioned by Tabata is not the break-even point, but rather the team's "personal ambition" as clarified in a further interview.

FFXV's budget was in line with most other AAA games that are in development 3-4 years regardless of the "10 years" of development myth.

GameSpot: Is it safe to assume that this is the most expensive game ever made, if account for the entire development cycle, before you took over?

Tabata: No, it's not, even including that. From what I've heard, we're nowhere near what Destiny or Grand Theft Auto V [cost].

GameSpot: But Destiny's budget is projected over a ten-year timeline.

Tabata: I suppose if you consider it from when we started Versus XIII, we've been at it for ten years as well. The budgets for all of our projects are controlled quite strictly, but on a company level, so it's not been allowed to go that far out.​

I think this goes back to something I've been saying for years. People on here kept saying that the FF brand had declined heavily in popularity, and were erroneously using games like FF Type 0-HD, FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns and a bunch of other spin offs to back up the argument. It never made sense. How can anyone judge the health of Final Fantasy based on how well the spin offs are selling? They don't paint a full picture.

FFXV selling as well as it has kind of shows that the franchise has declined in popularity in Japan, but that's about it. And even then, FFXV put up a good fight there, but was negatively affected by the decline of home consoles.

Top Bottom