• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

jcm

mclem said:
While I don't disagree in general, the bolded is a bit excessive; I'd imagine that the copy can be left to its own devices while you go off and do something else instead, surely?
That's a fair point. Consider it stricken from the list.

Stumpokapow said:
It's weird that you want to count "give up future firmware functionality" against people buying this, but you're not willing to count future jailbreak functionality in favour of people buying this.

I am certainly willing to count that, although it'd be tricky to value. I didn't address the biggest financial reason to do this, either. I was only addressing the argument that preserving the BR laser is reason enough to use this thing.

For some people, homebrew and such are worth buying a second console for. Obviously, they are making an entirely different cost benefit analysis than a person trying to avoid a $100 repair.

Vagabundo

Oh dear.

But I doubt that this will affect PS3 software sales for some time (closer to the next console gen), but this will allow homebrew/modding to extend the life of the PS3 well after its done as a pure gaming machine.

gcubed

Stumpokapow said:
It's weird that you want to count "give up future firmware functionality" against people buying this, but you're not willing to count future jailbreak functionality in favour of people buying this.

don't know the basis of the original quote, but future firmware functionality is a fact, future jailbreak functionality at this point is still a dream (eh, i'll edit this, because i would assume you will be able to run things people make, when i see jailbreak my mind jumps right to CFW)

Shadow780

Hanmik said:
I have 2 phats.. never had any trophy Sync problems.. But some friends had. But they got resolved around 3.40 where they added more Trophy servers..

The problem actually started after I updated to 3.40. I wonder if it's only across phat and a slim.

Vagabundo

There's no earthly way of knowing
a new firmware will fix the problem
There's no knowing where we're going
Or which jigstick we will be cloning

Is it hacking, is it shaking
Is it Geohot's Jail-a-breaking

Not a comment from a-Sony
So the hacking must be growing
Are the SDK files a-showing
Twitter Updates are a-flowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the pressure keeps on Sony
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are Phoney

2m2coq0.jpg

operon

Vagabundo said:

Nice song what tune do we sing it too

Vagabundo said:

*snaps fingers and hits bongo drum*

Here is some more info

GAMES TESTED:

* GOW 3.
Elapsed time to create the backup of the game in the console’s internal HD: 90 minutes (1h30min).
Elapsed time to create the backup of an external HD game console 280 minutes (4h40min).
Backup Size: 40.10GB.
Console without internet connection: The game works properly.
Console internet connection: When you run the backup from the Backup Manager system has told me that there was a game update after downloading it, I was unable to apply and the system has shown the error (80,029,567).
Important:
“If you cancel the update, the backup runs but the console is automatically disconnected from the PSN.
“If the update is already installed on the console, the backup does not work, you have to uninstall the update to work. The system shows where you have to insert the disk (error 8001003E).

* RED DEAD REDEMPTION.
Elapsed time to create the backup of the game in the console’s internal HD: 15 minutes.
Elapsed time to create the backup of an external HD game console: 40 minutes.
Backup Size: 4.83GB.
Backup on the external HD:
At the end of the backup process there is an error (FAIL FWRITE !!!).
Still, when you run the backup from the Backup Manager automatically starts the system installation process of the game (the file that contains the installation appears to have been generated correctly), but once completed, can not start the game. Checking the contents of the backup, I have seen a file larger than 4GB, and I imagine this will be the error.
Backup on the internal HD of the console:
Console without internet connection: The backup is functioning properly. First skip the installation, and once completed, runs smoothly.
Console internet connection: When you run the backup from the Backup Manager system has told me that there was a game update after downloading it, I was unable to apply and the system has shown the error (80,029,567).
Important:
“If you cancel the update, the backup runs but the console is automatically disconnected from the PSN.
“If the update is already installed on the console, the backup only works if you uninstall the update of the game as if nothing is done, the console is hung.

* Condemned 2.
Elapsed time to create the backup of the game in the console’s internal HD: 15 minutes.
Elapsed time to create the backup of an external HD game console: 40 minutes.
Backup Size: 6.43GB.
Console without internet connection: The backup is functioning properly.
Console internet connection: When you run the backup from the Backup Manager, the system has indicated that there was an update of the game, and after downloading, I have been unable to implement it.
Important:
“If the update is already installed on the console, the backup only works if the original is in the drive console, and in this case, the online features work correctly. Otherwise, you have to uninstall the update of the game for the backup operation.

* RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN.
Elapsed time to create the backup of the game in the console’s internal HD: 35 minutes.
Elapsed time to create the backup of an external HD game console: 100minutos (1h40min).
Backup Size: 15.40GB.
Backup on the external HD:
At the end of the backup process there is an error (FAIL FWRITE !!!). The backup contains a file of 4.1 GB and does not work. Backup on the internal HD of the console:
Console without internet connection: The backup is functioning properly.
Console internet connection: The backup works correctly, and functions are available online (you download an update for the online mode and after restarting the game, the online mode works correctly).

* FIFA WORLD CUP SOUTH AFRICA 2010.
Elapsed time to create the backup of an external HD game console: 40minutes.
Backup Size: 7.36GB.
Console internet connection: The game works fine with all options available online and updated patch has been applied without problems.

Brofist

BoboBrazil said:
* FIFA WORLD CUP SOUTH AFRICA 2010.
Elapsed time to create the backup of an external HD game console: 40minutes.
Backup Size: 7.36GB.
Console internet connection: The game works fine with all options available online and updated patch has been applied without problems.

Wait what? Backups can be updated?

And 15 minutes to backup your average multiplatform 7 or 8 GB game to the internal HDD is fairly fast.

Vagabundo said:

I love Wonka and all but I had this version in my head when reading that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Machado said:
what is all this that has been discussed in the last 2 pages???

sony's even more screwed now?

who's this demonhades?

what else has been leaked?

Demonhades is, I believe, one member of the ps3/psp hacking scene.

As far as I know nothing new was leaked, but his site was hacked, and it was apparently revealed that he had distributed leaked Sony material on his message board via PMs before. Stuff that I believe had leaked some time before, and was known to have leaked, but clearly people are or were now trying to get Demonhades in trouble by showing that he dealt in this stuff. He, I believe, denies that he ever distributed this material claiming that the stuff was planted by the people who hacked his site.

There's some in-fighting going on in the scene or something, apparently. Srs bizness.

darkwing

wait so they are now able to spoof the game title instead of the Backup Manager running in the PSN so that the game can now update?

Zoe

darkwing said:
wait so they are now able to spoof the game title instead of the Backup Manager running in the PSN so that the game can now update?

Was that what was causing the issue? If so I'm more prone to think that FIFA follows a different process since the other games still failed.

That demonhades guy seems to be pretty hated since he is a hypocrite calling out other people for sharing stolen sony property, but then doing it himself in pms on his message board.

darkwing

Zoe said:
Was that what was causing the issue? If so I'm more prone to think that FIFA follows a different process since the other games still failed.

oh sorry i didn't read the other games just the FIFA one lol and it looks like Sony has not banned anyone using the Backup Manager yet? because looks like there is plenty of online testing going on

Machado said:
what is all this that has been discussed in the last 2 pages???

what's all this "compatible with jailbreak" thing?

I am not understanding anything.

RED DEAD REDEMPTION is just 4.83 GB???

The "compatible with jailbreak" moniker was found by a poster on a dump of PS3 games someplace (the truthfulness of this statement is doubtful given the limited number of actual Jigkicks that are in the wild and the fact most of those are in the hands of Modchip resellers).

From what Bobo posted, it looked like RDR failed to dump due to the FAT32 issue (having a file larger than 4 GB in size).

PSGames

Lonewolf_92 said:
From what Bobo posted, it looked like RDR failed to dump due to the FAT32 issue (having a file larger than 4 GB in size).

Can these be compressed in someway? I wonder if making sure all games from now on have 4GB+ files will help curb the piracy?

Tensai

Banned
darkwing said:
shouldn't that info be in the leaked system docs?
Well, noone has managed to decrypt it in the 3 years since those docs were leaked so what makes you think that's going to happen now?

Tensai

Banned
Zoe said:
How would they get the PSN games off of Sony's proprietary file system?
This hack is useless until someone manages to make it read from NTFS drives and allows games to update themselves.

Zoe said:
That would deter piracy though since they couldn't be shared online.

PS3 games have already been shared online since the beginning; there just wasn't anything you could do with them. Now any game with files less than 4GB in size can be downloaded from the internet, and dumped to an external HDD for these hacked PS3s to play.

Zoe

Valkyr Junkie said:
PS3 games have already been shared online since the beginning; there just wasn't anything you could do with them. Now any game with files less than 4GB in size can be downloaded from the internet, and dumped to an external HDD for these hacked PS3s to play.

Well yes, but you were commenting on this:

Can these be compressed in someway? I wonder if making sure all games from now on have 4GB+ files will help curb the piracy?

So if all games going forward arbitrarily set at least one critical file to 4GB+, it would deter piracy of future games.

Brofist

Zoe said:
Well yes, but you were commenting on this:

So if all games going forward arbitrarily set at least one critical file to 4GB+, it would deter piracy of future games.

There are already ways to get over 4GB video files on to a PS3, I would be hard pressed to imagine a simple FTP client wouldn't circumvent that issue.

Zoe said:

Piracy via means other than having access to the actual disk, yes. It won't stop people from borrowing/renting/etc a game just to have access to the disk just the one time to dump it to the internal HDD.

Zoe

kpop100 said:
There are already ways to get over 4GB video files on to a PS3, I would be hard pressed to imagine a simple FTP client wouldn't circumvent that issue.

Through DLNA? There are protocols for that stuff.

In order for an FTP client to work, the client would have to understand the PS3's file system.

BoboBrazil said:
Thought it used a linux based file system and could be recognized under linux? Supposedly they are working on ntfs for external drives though.

I'm sorry Bobo, everytime I see a post by you I get this:

brazil.jpg

caught in my head and I have a hard time reconciling you talking about really technical aspects such as this. Doesn't really have anything to do with you or what you said, just had to get that off my chest. :lol

Tensai said:
This hack is useless until someone manages to make it read from NTFS drives and allows games to update themselves.

The manufacturers are working on the former, as Bobo mentioned, and I'm guessing the latter is just a matter of time.

Valkyr Junkie said:

Well, it would require being processed into a form readable by the Backup Manager utility, which nothing currently being shared right now is, and likely a bit of shuffling of folders. Nothing quite as simple as hacks for other systems have offered in that regard.

Tensai

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
Well, it would require being processed into a form readable by the Backup Manager utility, which nothing currently being shared right now is, and likely a bit of shuffling of folders. Nothing quite as simple as hacks for other systems have offered in that regard.
Some games have already been released in a compatible format in the last few days.

Mudkips

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
several confirmations from sony bosses = an obscure quote?

are there any obscure quotes from sony bosses advocating piracy?

The PSN terms of service state that you are not allowed to share log-in details with others.
As such, game "sharing" is a violation of the PSN terms of service.
Game "sharing" only exists because Sony decided that maintaining high availability of games (don't have to reauthorize every time you want to play) was more important than preventing people from game "sharing".

mooooose

PSN games could be pirated back around 1.8 firmware, I think. You could install them using a proxy and your computer. Don't quote me though. It wasn't popular at ALL because it came out way after 1.8 was in use.

Top Bottom