• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Can anyone tell me how much Nintendont has improve in the past 1+ year?
I installed it quite long ago and there were compatibility issues or various glitches with more than a few games, so I haven't touched it since then.

Just out of curiosity, what are the games you had glitches or issues? I've been playing with Nintendont for nearly a year and don't remember anything wrong in any game I've played.

Madao

Being salty about the Color Splash reveal made me dig up my Wii just so I can dump The Thousand Year Door and play it on WiiU with this.

And I have to say it looks fantastic upscaled. Does Nintendont's latest version remove the Underscan normally seen in Wii Mode or did Nintendo patch that themselves?

the underscan is in the games themselves and Wii mode stuff. it's part of the signal and can't be removed without completely screwing up the signal more.
it's probably not worth to mess with it.

Thanks. Just to confirm, you were running them from a SD card?

yeah, it's pretty convenient and GC isos are small so you can fit many in a regular SD card.

the underscan is in the games themselves and Wii mode stuff. it's part of the signal and can't be removed without completely screwing up the signal more.
it's probably not worth to mess with it.

yeah, it's pretty convenient and GC isos are small so you can fit many in a regular SD card.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to being able to play Metroid Prime 1 and 2 via Nintendont with the widescreen hacks and a Wavebird!

Huh. Just hearing about this now and curious about checking it out. It seems like Pro Controller support is good too because as much as I like some GCN games the controller makes my hands cramp something fierce.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to being able to play Metroid Prime 1 and 2 via Nintendont with the widescreen hacks and a Wavebird!

Let me know how it goes. Those games never emulated well for me in Dolphin once I got to the later parts and I am curious if this will work better.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Let me know how it goes. Those games never emulated well for me in Dolphin once I got to the later parts and I am curious if this will work better.

It will because it's not emulation; there are literally Gamecube parts inside your Wii U that run the game.

MrNelson

Banned
Hopefully someone can help me out with this.

So I have Nintendont and USB Loader GX working on my vWii, but I can't get USB Loader GX to boot my GC games. I set the loader to Nintendont in the settings, and even set the loader path on the individual games, but it keeps telling me that I need to put the boot.dol in the Nintendont folder, which it is.

Idk, maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: Turns out I was. I just didn't look hard enough through the menus

Dunkley

it's probably not worth to mess with it..

Oh, no, you misunderstood me. What I meant to say is that I was surprised that Paper Mario TTYD didn't have any underscan present whatsoever.

I wasn't asking on how to remove it; it isn't there to begin with.

A question that someone here might help me with:

Is there a site or forum that talks about modifing or looking at Wii game's code? i remember that there are homebrew programs that allow to use line of codes to alterate game controls or activate cheats.

They just lent me a modded wii and I have a truckload of pal GC games... And a big doubt:

For those titles that supported 480p on the NTSC version but it was removed for the pal release (such as Metroid Prime, I have both versions and the difference is incredible in an gc with the component cable), the force Progressive option would make the game behave in the same way as one with native support or there could be glitches?

Been out of the wii homebrew community for years. So if I install this on my softmodded Wii, will it work with any loaders like USB loader gx? I still wanna play from my retail discs, but patching games for widescreen and stuff seems appealing and the default nintendont gui is very bland

Rich!

Been out of the wii homebrew community for years. So if I install this on my softmodded Wii, will it work with any loaders like USB loader gx? I still wanna play from my retail discs, but patching games for widescreen and stuff seems appealing and the default nintendont gui is very bland

Yeah, newest gx loader has full support

I've had nintendont for a while now but I'm starting to get sick of the forced 4:3 ratio when I get into the Homebrew Channel. Any way to fix?

So here's a question: I heard Nintendont had lag on the GCN adapter, is this still the case? I don't want a "I can play Zelda just fine" responses, my interest is in picking up F Zero again, and any lag is immediately unacceptable, so I'm curious if it's been fixed.

Rich!

So here's a question: I heard Nintendont had lag on the GCN adapter, is this still the case? I don't want a "I can play Zelda just fine" responses, my interest is in picking up F Zero again, and any lag is immediately unacceptable, so I'm curious if it's been fixed.

"Fixing" it is impossible due to the way the adapter interfaces with the console.

In any case, the amount is barely perceptible and in the single digits of extra ms.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Last I checked, the adapter itself has roughly 3ms of lag on average when used with Nintendont. There's a 6ms polling rate, so any given button press has the chance of falling at the beginning or end of that polling window. It's pretty insignificant.

The bigger contributing factor is that either Nintendont on the Wii U, or the Wii U's vWii mode itself (I'm not sure which one is actually the contributing factor here), adds about 1 extra frame (17ms) of lag. I've run camera tests on Melee myself to confirm it.

20ms usually isn't that bad unless you've already got a laggy TV or are in the need of tournament-caliber performance, but it's worth noting.

I haven't checked whether this has changed for a few months, though. I only tried out Nintendont to see if it was a feasible way to run Melee and Smash 4 on the same setup for tournaments, and it's not.

I've had nintendont for a while now but I'm starting to get sick of the forced 4:3 ratio when I get into the Homebrew Channel. Any way to fix?

What exactly does make you sick? There's a program you can run in HBC to make this not happen. Alternatively, you can look for instructions for installing another channel that would not look like a VC game and load either HBC or something else, but I have no experience doing that.

The bigger contributing factor is that either Nintendont on the Wii U, or the Wii U's vWii mode itself (I'm not sure which one is actually the contributing factor here), adds about 1 extra frame (17ms) of lag. I've run camera tests on Melee myself to confirm it.

I've found evidence of the Wii U performing additional processing of all vWii mode video output, even when using component; scaling artifacts in test patterns that can't be completely eliminated regardless of display settings, including the overscan settings. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

Sixfortyfive

I've found evidence of the Wii U performing additional processing of all vWii mode video output, even when using component; scaling artifacts in test patterns that can't be completely eliminated regardless of display settings, including the overscan settings. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

This is what I suspected, but I just haven't gone through the trouble of confirming it myself. (I'd have to hack up a Classic Controller and test Wii games between Wii and Wii U to do it, which is more work than I want to bother with.)

The fact that the Wii U doesn't support 240p output (whereas the Wii does) was the first thing that made me suspicious about this. I wouldn't be surprised if the vWii mode was passing everything through some kind of frame buffer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the vWii mode was passing everything through some kind of frame buffer.

After spending a little time on it I decided I just don't care enough to try to figure it out any further. I'm 99% sure that's the case. Bottom line is keep a real Wii around if you want that lagless analog output and quirky virtual console resolutions.

Now, what I do need to spend some time on is messing with injection so I can fix the PC Engine games that output in 480i.

FyreWulff

It's USB itself. You'll always eat the a latency cost due to how USB controllers work, unforunately. The GameCube controller ports on the Wii (and original GC of course) are essentially directly wired as interrupts into the motherboard logic. Since USB expects the host device to do all the heavy lifting, it's impossible to avoid anything below a 1ms hit.

Add in USB-on-top-of-USB and you have the results on vWii.

USB was great for peripherals, but it was a step back for controllers.

Sixfortyfive

It's USB itself. You'll always eat the a latency cost due to how USB controllers work, unforunately. The GameCube controller ports on the Wii (and original GC of course) are essentially directly wired as interrupts into the motherboard logic. Since USB expects the host device to do all the heavy lifting, it's impossible to avoid anything below a 1ms hit.

Add in USB-on-top-of-USB and you have the results on vWii.

USB was great for peripherals, but it was a step back for controllers.

The USB adapter adds a slight bump, yes, but vWii is likely the main culprit:

Gamecube controller port on Gamecube = control test, lowest lag
Gamecube controller port on Wii = no lag compared to Gamecube
Nintendont + Gamecube USB adapter on Wii = ~3ms lag compared to Gamecube
Nintendont + Gamecube USB adapter on Wii U = ~20ms lag compared to Gamecube

The camera I used to get these numbers wasn't precise enough for me to say that these measurements are confidently within 1ms accuracy or anything, but based on the tech details that are out there and just thinking about them logically, they make sense. The USB polling rate isn't as fast as a dedicated controller port, and vWii mode likely has a 1-frame buffer.

FyreWulff

Nintendont + Gamecube USB adapter on Wii U = ~20ms lag compared to Gamecube

The camera I used to get these numbers wasn't precise enough for me to say that these measurements are confidently within 1ms accuracy or anything, but based on the tech details that are out there and just thinking about them logically, they make sense. The USB polling rate isn't as fast as a dedicated controller port, and vWii mode likely has a 1-frame buffer.

Yeah, I think your framebuffer thing could also be a culprit. I think that would have to be done to get the GamePad to show games in vWii mode?

Yeah, I think your framebuffer thing could also be a culprit. I think that would have to be done to get the GamePad to show games in vWii mode?

Gamepad is at least a frame behind the Wii U component output connected to my CRT. Haven't done a video test to measure just how much but it is obvious.

Nintendont + Gamecube USB adapter on Wii U = ~20ms lag compared to Gamecube.

Wait, twenty ms? That's a lot! I wonder, is it that much in Smash 4 as well?

"Fixing" it is impossible due to the way the adapter interfaces with the console.

In any case, the amount is barely perceptible and in the single digits of extra ms.
Any perceptible is hugely perceptible in F Zero. Just going between different monitors there's a big difference, and going from a fairly fast monitor to a CRT was like heaven. This was using GCN and component -> VGA adapter that was specifically purchased because it didn't add lag.

Last I checked, the adapter itself has roughly 3ms of lag on average when used with Nintendont. There's a 6ms polling rate, so any given button press has the chance of falling at the beginning or end of that polling window. It's pretty insignificant.

20ms usually isn't that bad unless you've already got a laggy TV or are in the need of tournament-caliber performance, but it's worth noting.

I haven't checked whether this has changed for a few months, though. I only tried out Nintendont to see if it was a feasible way to run Melee and Smash 4 on the same setup for tournaments, and it's not.

Darn. Well, I guess it won't be TOO much of a hassle to drag my CRT up here.

shanafan

This is more of a general Wii/GameCube question.

How can I setup my modded Wii to boot GameCube games without needing the Wii sensor bar?

I did read this online..

"If you're OK with installing the homebrew channel, there's an unofficial GC game booter for it. If you make your wii start in the homebrew channel by using bootmii and install the booter, you won't need a wii remote to start a GC game as the channel can be controlled with a GC controller."

Does that sound legit?

Sixfortyfive

This is more of a general Wii/GameCube question.

How can I setup my modded Wii to boot GameCube games without needing the Wii sensor bar?

I did read this online..

"If you're OK with installing the homebrew channel, there's an unofficial GC game booter for it. If you make your wii start in the homebrew channel by using bootmii and install the booter, you won't need a wii remote to start a GC game as the channel can be controlled with a GC controller."

Does that sound legit?

Put Nintendont (or a different loader app) on your SD card and add these 2 lines to your bootmii.ini file to boot to the Homebrew Channel as quickly as possible:

Code:
AUTOBOOT=HBC
BOOTDELAY=0

Then just pick Nintendont from the Homebrew Channel menu.

Alternatively, you can just pick up a Classic Controller and navigate the Wii menu with that instead. You don't need a sensor bar for that.

shanafan

Put Nintendont (or a different loader app) on your SD card and add these 2 lines to your bootmii.ini file to boot to the Homebrew Channel as quickly as possible:

Code:
AUTOBOOT=HBC
BOOTDELAY=0

Then just pick Nintendont from the Homebrew Channel menu.

Alternatively, you can just pick up a Classic Controller and navigate the Wii menu with that instead. You don't need a sensor bar for that.

Awesome, thanks. Seems simple enough!

shanafan

Try https://github.com/suloku/gcmm

You'll need a Wii (which has GC memory card sockets) that can run homebrew.

So I finally got around to trying GCMM.

I used it to backup GCN saves from Nintendon't onto a GCN memory card, and then use it on a GameCube. The process worked. I saw the saves on my GCN in the memory card manager. However, when I went to play PSO, the save wasn't there.

I did notice that in the GCN memory card manager, there wasn't an option to copy the file. So, I wonder if the PSO save is console specific?

shanafan

Followup with my above issue, I did read about this feature with GCMM.

Protected Savegames
Protected savegames are encrypted with the "unique" random serial number that is given to a memory card each time it is formatted. Due to this fact the savegame will only work on the original memory card it was backuped from if that card hasn't been formatted.
To be confirmed if some protected savegames also rely on the block number the savefile starts (or how many blocks where occupied before the savegame was created).
Restoring a raw image to a different card has still to be tested to see if that will permit using a protected gamesave on another memory card.
Known protected savegames: Medal of Honor: Frontline, F-Zero GX, Pokemon Coloseum, Fire Emblem.
When restoring a savegame with GCMM, its permissions will be set to xxP (move, copy, public), meaning the file can be moved or copied by the WII/GC native memory card utility. Being able to move or copy the file doesn't mean it will work for the reasons explained above.

Guess I will give it a shot with my PSO Plus save.

shanafan

Tested it out. My F Zero GX save works fine, which is another serial protected game like PSO.

I think the issue that I have is that my save game is PSO Plus, not the standard PSO. From what I read, support is there for PSO so maybe Plus has been worked on.

Tested it out. My F Zero GX save works fine, which is another serial protected game like PSO.

I think the issue that I have is that my save game is PSO Plus, not the standard PSO. From what I read, support is there for PSO so maybe Plus has been worked on.
I see

gcmm code
deals with PSO1&2 saves called "PSO_SYSTEM"
and PSO3 saves called "PSO3_SYSTEM"

https://github.com/suloku/gcmm/blob/75a5e024b7f590d390e1c74fe1524dbfc2bd6b99/source/mcard.c

what is your save called?

shanafan

My saves are called:

8P-GP0E-PSO_SYSTEM_00.gci
8P-GP0E-PSO_CHARACTER_00.gci
8P-GP0E-PSO_GUILDCARD_00.gci

I can see the saves on my GCN in the memory card manager, but when I enter PSO Plus, it says NO DATA for all 4 character slots.

In GCMM, I used an empty memory card and did a restore all savegames.

Rich!

My saves are called:

8P-GP0E-PSO_SYSTEM_00.gci
8P-GP0E-PSO_CHARACTER_00.gci
8P-GP0E-PSO_GUILDCARD_00.gci

I can see the saves on my GCN in the memory card manager, but when I enter PSO Plus, it says NO DATA for all 4 character slots.

In GCMM, I used an empty memory card and did a restore all savegames.

Have you used dolphin to transfer/organise the saves? Worked for me.

Rich!

I have the saves on a USB stick with the end goal of getting them on a GCN memory card. How would Dolphin assist with that?

Dolphin has a comprehensive memory card manager built in for many formats, including full memcard compiling and conversions.

shanafan

Dolphin has a comprehensive memory card manager built in for many formats, including full memcard compiling and conversions.

Ok, thanks. I may have to get the SD Media Launcher for GCN then. I'll be sure to ask the Dolphin thread any questions I may have!

shanafan

Woohoo! Thanks for the help fellas.

I used Dolphin to convert the GCN saves into GCI format, and then used GCMM to transfer them over to my GCN memory card. My character is now loaded into PSO Plus!

Have not used this in months but have a quick question.

Can I have my Nintendon't files and games ect. on the same SD card? I was using the SD card for program files, and usb for games set up since the start but recently they got soaked so now want to move to a one card set up if possible. Pretty sure I heard something about this a long time ago but wanted to double check before spending the $$$ (or yen in this case)

Does it work? Same type of SD card needed? ect.

Madao

an SD Card alone can do everything for nintendont. that's how i set it up on Wii U to avoid all the HDD problems.
just format it properly to FAT32 and name your folders properly and it should work.
Class 10 works well. the Wii U'd reader doesn't benefit from faster cards anyway.

an SD Card alone can do everything for nintendont. that's how i set it up on Wii U to avoid all the HDD problems.
just format it properly to FAT32 and name your folders properly and it should work.
Class 10 works well. the Wii U'd reader doesn't benefit from faster cards anyway.

Cool, will check them out tomorrow when I go shopping.

Top Bottom