• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

dmix90

Has anyone been able to get MGS Twin Snakes to switch disks properly using Nintendont? I've tried renaming the second disk disk2 and everything but it always stops me at the prompt to switch disks
Have you tried to rename it to disc2? I think its like that in guide on gbatemp.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Someone please tell me this is region free 🙏🏽 I have a PAL UK Wii U and US GameCube discs.

shanafan

Have you tried to rename it to disc2? I think its like that in guide on gbatemp.

I think I may have messed up with my folders then. I backed up all my GameCube games onto a flash stick with generic folder names like Game 1, Game 2, etc. and then renamed each ISO as game.iso

So in reality, I have no clue which folder houses which game since every game is the same file size. I thought I could just use Nintendont and choose which disc I wanted to play from their menu, since it realizes the game IDs.

Oops.

dmix90

Someone please tell me this is region free 🙏🏽 I have a PAL UK Wii U and US GameCube discs.
Yeah its region free.
I think I may have messed up with my folders then. I backed up all my GameCube games onto a flash stick with generic folder names like Game 1, Game 2, etc. and then renamed each ISO as game.iso

So in reality, I have no clue which folder houses which game since every game is the same file size. I thought I could just use Nintendont and choose which disc I wanted to play from their menu, since it realizes the game IDs.

Oops.
Download Gamecube ISO Tool open iso file with this tool and it will show game id and title.

shanafan

Has anyone been able to get MGS Twin Snakes to switch disks properly using Nintendont? I've tried renaming the second disk disk2 and everything but it always stops me at the prompt to switch disks

Try this -

The game path expected by Nintendont is :
SD:/games/whatever you want/game.iso
SD:/games/whatever you want/disc2.iso

The non-bold part need to be written exactly like you see it above (the filename is not the game's title, but the 4 letters "g+a+m+e")
If a game has two discs, the second ISO needs to be placed in the same folder than the first disc's ISO, and named to "disc2.iso".
Only the bold part "whatever you want" need to change.

For better compatibility with other loaders, you can put Game's Title and GameID in that part, like this :
SD or USB:/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso
SD or USB:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
SD or USB:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

For users who still don't understand that "game" doesn't refer to the game's title but to the single word "game":
/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/Zelda.iso <--- WRONG :hateit:
/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso <--- Correct
/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso <--- Correct

If you don't know the GameID, you don't need to use it.
/games/zelda/game.iso is working too.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

Madao

From what I can feel, and no this is not scientific... GCN controller adapter in Smash 4 is slower than Wii U Pro Controllers and the Wii U Gamepad.

Even though it's off topic, I'd love if you were able to compare the two to see if I'm correct. I think it would be thread-worthy for all of the Smash fanatics on this board.

it would be funny if the GC adapter is slower than the wireless controllers since part of the reason of the adapter's existence was being faster than wireless controllers.

on the subject, has anyone measured this adapter to see if it has good or bad input lag?
it seems 3rd party adapters vary a lot so it'd be good if there was a resource somewhere with testing.

shanafan

PSO Episodes 1 and 2 Plus want me to insert a memory card into slot A.. but I am on the Wii U. Pressing buttons is not bypassing this "Insert memory card" screen. Any ideas?

televator

PSO Episodes 1 and 2 Plus want me to insert a memory card into slot A.. but I am on the Wii U. Pressing buttons is not bypassing this "Insert memory card" screen. Any ideas?

There's an option in Nintendont's settings to emulate memory cards. Make sure that's enabled.

mooooose

So do the analog triggers on classic controller or the gamecube controller running through the Smash adapter work? I'm going through F-Zero on my Wii right now and it might be cool to finish it on Wii U.

televator

So do the analog triggers on classic controller or the gamecube controller running through the Smash adapter work? I'm going through F-Zero on my Wii right now and it might be cool to finish it on Wii U.

Yes, to the GC controller. Don't know about the other one.

Playing Gamecube, on the Wii U, with a Dualshock 4.

7a7f9f404043a317180f6a7067005ed8.jpg

shanafan

Question about Nintendont. In Homebrew Channel, the app's description is "Gamecube Loader", not a Wii loader. I love Nintendont because of the Wii U Pro controller integration.

Is there a similar app that allows me to play Wii games with the Wii U Pro controller?

televator

I'm thinking about signing up for github to put in a request for forcing anisotropic filtering. It really helps clear up muddy visuals. Twilight Princess benefits greatly when forcing it on in Swiss. I really miss that feature, and Nintendon't doesn't have it. I hope the people behind Nintendon't are responsive to such a request.

I was going to give this a go today.

Before I start, is there any train the guides for setting up the homebrew on Wii U suggest U need to use a 2gb SD card? Any reason it can't be bigger?

SandTorso

IIRC greater than 2GB means SDHC which isn't supported by certain parts of vWii mode.

Needs to be 2GB or less (marked as just SD)

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

Only for most of the hacks, Smash Bros included. Once you get the homebrew channel installed, then you can switch to SDHC or SDXC. I installed with an old 2GB card, and then formatted my 16GB card to FAT, put a bunch of games on, and called it a day.

Ok, not quite, I realized I had about 50 gamecube games stashed away and ordered a 64 GB card, should be here today!

shanafan

Question for the group. Does the LetterBomb exploit work with Wii U? The guide just references the Smash Stack hack. My brother is setting up his Wii U to install the Homebrew Channel, but doesn't own Smash Brawl for Wii.

Platy

Question for the group. Does the LetterBomb exploit work with Wii U? The guide just references the Smash Stack hack. My brother is setting up his Wii U to install the Homebrew Channel, but doesn't own Smash Brawl for Wii.

No, only game exploits works on the virtual Wii the WiiU has

Almost every wii lego game has an exploit that can be used and they can be bought for almost nothing used

Thetinman

Just got this to work on my Wii and would like to use my ps3 controller I don't see "Use HID device". The ps3 controller works when nintendont loads but not when I try to play a game. Is there something more that I have to get to get the ps3 controller to work? Thanks
Never mind seems to be working now.

shanafan

Is it possible to get a save off of Nintendon't - and do some magic - and get the save game on a GameCube memory card?

Xeno_V

Can anyone tell me how much Nintendont has improve in the past 1+ year?
I installed it quite long ago and there were compatibility issues or various glitches with more than a few games, so I haven't touched it since then.

Has this changed by a lot nowadays or have then been any major changes to Nintendont in general?

Can anyone tell me how much Nintendont has improve in the past 1+ year?
I installed it quite long ago and there were compatibility issues or various glitches with more than a few games, so I haven't touched it since then.

Has this changed by a lot nowadays or have then been any major changes to Nintendont in general?
Basically it's become better.

Besides you can backup your current version manually, and then update from within Nintendont, so there's really no risk involved in ending up on a certain you don't want our that doesn't work well for you.

Changelog
https://www.reddit.com/r/GCNintendo...estion_nintendont_on_wii_controller_support/?

As of Revision 3.300, You can plug in ANY USB HID controller and Nintendont will pick the most appropriate controller .ini file.
As of Revision 3.302, A widescreen patch was added for Super Monkey Ball. There were also changes to the rumble code (the vibration on controllers!)
As of Revision 3.310, The Nintendont loader gets some stability improvements.
As Of Revision 3.318, Backyard Football now works properly! Huzzah!
As of Revision 3.331, Metroid Prime 1 & 2 now have widescreen patches.
As of Revision 3.338, Workarounds have been implemented for Powerpuff Girls (PAL+NTSC) and Midway Arcade Treasures 2, both of which fix sound related issues.
As of Revision 2.230, the Loader fully Uses IOS58, meaning either USB Port can be used to load Games/ USB HID controllers for the Old Wii, New Wii, and Wii Family Edition.
As of Revision 2.225, Gamecube controllers run on vWii Mode & Wii Family Edition via the Official Wii U Gamecube USB adapter!

Finally bought a cheap copy of LEGO Indiana Jones to hack my vWii.

I've done the exploit and I'm currently backing up my vWii in case something goes wrong. All the guides have been warning about having a regular SD card etc., but can I now just copy all the stuff to a bigger SDHC/XC card and use that for everything? I used a separate USB drive on my Wii but I'd like to stick to an SD card for this.

Finally bought a cheap copy of LEGO Indiana Jones to hack my vWii.

I've done the exploit and I'm currently backing up my vWii in case something goes wrong. All the guides have been warning about having a regular SD card etc., but can I now just copy all the stuff to a bigger SDHC/XC card and use that for everything? I used a separate USB drive on my Wii but I'd like to stick to an SD card for this.
Yes. Once you've done the hack and are comfortable with your setup, just transfer to a larger card and add your games.

Basically it's become better.

Besides you can backup your current version manually, and then update from within Nintendont, so there's really no risk involved in ending up on a certain you don't want our that doesn't work well for you.

Changelog
https://www.reddit.com/r/GCNintendo...estion_nintendont_on_wii_controller_support/?
Wow, that's great that it's come so far. I don't think I have Nintendont on my OG Wii, think I have Dios Mios on that. I installed Nintendont on my Wii U last year sometime, or perhaps the year before, so should update at some point. I want to install Nintendont to my OG Wii at some point, which is already softmodded. Hoping it's a pretty simple installation. Any issues with running GC games of a SD card on the OG Wii?

I have managed to install the homebrew channel using indiana pwns. However I am getting nowhere with the nintendont so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I get the error message: "Failed to load Kernel from the NAND"

My SD card looks like this:

apps -> Nintendont
->boot.dol
->icon.png
->meta.xml

games-> Mario Kart double dash-> game (iso renamed as game)

Madao

Wow, that's great that it's come so far. I don't think I have Nintendont on my OG Wii, think I have Dios Mios on that. I installed Nintendont on my Wii U last year sometime, or perhaps the year before, so should update at some point. I want to install Nintendont to my OG Wii at some point, which is already softmodded. Hoping it's a pretty simple installation. Any issues with running GC games of a SD card on the OG Wii?

i've played hundreds of hours of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with Nintendont and there has been no problems so far outside a random crash once in 100 tries (and that's because i used a modified version for randomizer so it's probably more stable with an unmodified iso).

I have managed to install the homebrew channel using indiana pwns. However I am getting nowhere with the nintendont so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I get the error message: "Failed to load Kernel from the NAND"

My SD card looks like this:

apps -> Nintendont
->boot.dol
->icon.png
->meta.xml

games-> Mario Kart double dash-> game (iso renamed as game)

are you sure there's no random spaces or weird characters in the filenames?

also, what version are you using? (very old versions might be bad)

if you can't figure it out, i could post a zip with what i have in my SD card since the basic files are pretty small.

Dunkley

Being salty about the Color Splash reveal made me dig up my Wii just so I can dump The Thousand Year Door and play it on WiiU with this.

And I have to say it looks fantastic upscaled. Does Nintendont's latest version remove the Underscan normally seen in Wii Mode or did Nintendo patch that themselves?

i've played hundreds of hours of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with Nintendont and there has been no problems so far outside a random crash once in 100 tries (and that's because i used a modified version for randomizer so it's probably more stable with an unmodified iso).
Thanks. Just to confirm, you were running them from a SD card?

Thanks to madao sending me the right files I now have nintendont working. I have been playing some double dash with the Wii U pro controller and it works great. I have one problem, when double dash starts it comes up with the message:

no memory card found in slot a

So I can't save my progress. How do you fix this?

Thanks to madao sending me the right files I now have nintendont working. I have been playing some double dash with the Wii U pro controller and it works great. I have one problem, when double dash starts it comes up with the message:

no memory card found in slot a

So I can't save my progress. How do you fix this?

There should be a setting in Nintendon't to Emulate a memory card.

Top Bottom