• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally VR PS4 Released

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The PC version of DR in VR looks great but is a real resource hog. You'll need a pretty beefy PC to run it at a stable 90fps, which is required for a smooth experience in the Rift. The best VR racing experience I've had so far is F-Zero GX. That game in the Rift is DISGUSTINGLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Well, the cornflakes dlc has unlocked fine this morning, but I see the dirt vr dlc is still unavailable!

Have a feeling that I'll have to buy the full game. :(

There's quite a bit of shimmer to the image when car is slow or still, but this lessens when you are driving at usual speeds. What surprised me most was turning around and there being no rear to the car whatsoever! having got used to seeing fully realised interiors in driveclub/pCars in VR.

baby_gotno_back.jpg

Wow why has no one in the thread picked up on this? That's pretty damn shit! You can't sacrifice a car model to that extreme.

MGR

Deliberately locking out disc owners from the upgrade option would be insane. Somebody just messed up.

I've emailed their customer support for an answer.

Wow why has no one in the thread picked up on this? That's pretty damn shit! You can't sacrifice a car model to that extreme.

I'll reserve judgement on this until I've played it myself. So long as I don't notice it through the course of gameplay then I won't care.

Anatoli68

Neo Member
Just had a quick run on Pro and I really like it. Obviously the graphics aren't quite as sharp but after a couple of minutes you're so immersed that you don't even notice the downgrade. Compared to DC image quality holds better in this one.

ManeKast

Someone on whirlpool (aus) called Sony. Apparently the DLC should be purchaseable by 7pm here (17 mins ago) as it was a mistake by codemasters releasing it early. Thats what Sony said, it *should* be fixed tonight anyway so keep trying I guess.

So try now Aussies, if you own retail.

Someone on whirlpool (aus) called Sony. Apparently the DLC should be purchaseable by 7pm here (17 mins ago) as it was a mistake by codemasters releasing it early. Thats what Sony said, ot *should* be fixed tonight amyway so keep trying I guess.

So try now Aussies, if you own retail.

Nope no luck :(

xrnzaaas

The reason is probably the fact that Dirt Rally didn't start as a VR game. There was no need to add the rest of the model because you couldn't turn around. If they added that now they could worsen the performance and not be able to maintain 60fps. I'm pretty sure they won't make the same mistake if one of their new games gets VR support at launch.

ManeKast

"Called Sony, they blamed Codemasters for the time the DLC gets released... at 7pm tonight EST it should go live. Either that or they are just passing the blame. Not long to find out. Hurry up DLC..." - Prophecy777, Whirlpool.

- Sorry. 7pm EST. Whenever that is..... I'm thinking EST in Aus which is -1hr. So 37 minutes from now.

I'll reserve judgement on this until I've played it myself. So long as I don't notice it through the course of gameplay then I won't care.

The reason is probably the fact that Dirt Rally didn't start as a VR game. There was no need to add the rest of the model because you couldn't turn around. If they added that now they could worsen the performance and not be able to maintain 60fps. I'm pretty sure they won't make the same mistake if one of their new games gets VR support at launch.

I guess so, I'm assuming that although the car isn't being rendered it's there in physical space else it would imply that you can't clip the back wheels etc.

Meanwhile my DL that started at 12:01am has 17hrs to go.... so it's not all that bad, yet!

Haha I've been fiending badly for psvr support for this have been loving this game since it came out and just finished re7 in VR which was amazing. I'm ready for VR to meet my favourite racing game :)

Just wish I could afford a decent wheel :(

ManeKast

Haha I've been fiending badly for psvr support for this have been loving this game since it came out and just finished re7 in VR which was amazing. I'm ready for VR to meet my favourite racing game :)

Just wish I could afford a decent wheel :(

I just started REVII in VR, madhouse. 2nd playthrough (first in VR) So that's me tonight!!! And my impressions so far are: OH MY GOD.

Just did a two stage rally in Wales with the wheel. Very impressed, cleaner than DCVR, and felt great hooking up the cambers on the fast stages. I was either driving much smoother or as we know it's just easier to judge car placement in VR

Mendrox

Paid "VR DLC" is honestly some bullshit, I bought so many Steam games on the mere hint of VR "support" (i.e. experimental DK2 modes). All titles I wouldn't have even looked at otherwise, never mind purchased. They would have easily picked up enough base game sales solely on the back of VR to make it a worthwhile endeavor, there is no need for a $10 add-on. It's actively detrimental cause a lot of people are going to balk at paying twice, reducing potential sales, and their analytics will suggest VR interest is lower than it actually is.

It's an added expansion for cheap (10$). VR development still costs a lot. It's good.

I just started REVII in VR, madhouse. 2nd playthrough (first in VR) So that's me tonight!!! And my impressions so far are: OH MY GOD.

Yeh I was surprised I saw a lot of reviews mentioning the psvr support as basically 'it's cool but I wouldn't want to play the entire game that way'

My experience was exactly the opposite, I turned VR off for a small bot and went 'Yeh the graphics are nicer and its cool' but went immediately back to VR as my default choice.

Edit
Brutal.

Its 7pm EST Australia. Sony said now, so, you retail guys good?

Not available for purchase :(

ManeKast

Yeh I was surprised I saw a lot of reviews mentioning the psvr support as basically 'it's cool but I wouldn't want to play the entire game that way'

My experience was exactly the opposite, I turned VR off for a small bot and went 'Yeh the graphics are nicer and its cool' but went immediately back to VR as my default choice.

Just like driveclub (and probably this game) it is for me a complete gamechanger. Mindblowing, absolutely wish I waited but it's REVII that got me to buy VR in the first place. That first encounter with Mia still scared the crap out of me in VR, WAY more. Its GNARLY.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

ehh Idk, if you don't actually see it then I think that's actually smart. Driveclub suffered from really poor visuals and all sorts of weird visual quirks. Cutting corners like this on something you barely see seems like a smart move if it makes what's in front of you look better.

So still telling me not available for purchase because I don't own the game. Tried to call Sony and they've closed their support lines for the day.

I've tweeted to the official dirt twitter account but have a feeling I won't get a reply for a while.

ManeKast

So still telling me not available for purchase because I don't own the game. Tried to call Sony and they've closed their support lines for the day.

I've tweeted to the official dirt twitter account but have a feeling I won't get a reply for a while.

Updated the OP. This certainly sucks for retail owners. Nothing more to add.... unless they mean 7pm EST in some other sense?! Dunno....

Because to see this you have to take a big movement backwards, as most people will be sitting in chairs they aren't going to notice this. I only foound this by gettin up and moving around. I don't find it an issue at all, the cars are rally so you know that means they are stripped, also you are in bucket seats so you have to do a very large movement to look backwards.

Because to see this you have to take a big movement backwards, as most people will be sitting in chairs they aren't going to notice this. I only foound this by gettin up and moving around. I don't find it an issue at all, the cars are rally so you know that means they are stripped, also you are in bucket seats so you have to do a very large movement to look backwards.

I get that they are stripped etc but that's been stripped of the rear axle and wheels too lol I guess so long as they are still there in physical space and the collision detection still counts then it's all good.

sourc3d

I think for most people the first thing they do when put into VR in any game is try and look around them to get a feel for the space they are in, I certainly did and its immediately obvious there is no render geometry behind the front seat 'capsule' which does compromise the presence' somewhat, and how much extra render overhead would a low poly rear interior/exterior add during general gameplay?. Admittedly whilst in play, for most rally stages you are purely focused on the road ahead, but in rally cross you are more likely to look around and over your shoulder which is when it does become more of an issue for VR.

I get that they are stripped etc but that's been stripped of the rear axle and wheels too lol I guess so long as they are still there in physical space and the collision detection still counts then it's all good.

Yeah that is all there. Spun out and sitting there I looked back, thought it looked unusual. Stood up walked behind car, wow that is odd but don't really care. Sat back down and carried on. If it was a road car based game with a focus on car models it would bother me but race cars and having everything from the original game accessible is far more important. If there were racing game fanboy wars on VR, my word this would be one of those issues that would create multiple 100+ page threads, luckily we are in a grace period where we don't have that bullshit.

Freeman76

I dont really think the tech is ready for racing games properly yet. Although the game plays well etc, the visual fidelity definitely detracts from the experience for me. It feels pretty cool in VR but out of all the games I own on vr this one is lowest on the list of games that benefit from the VR experience. Plus im shit at it which doesnt help lol

I bought the game a couple of weeks ago on sale in preparation for this. I tried 1 stage at the time and was awful. Finished with a wheel missing.

Played a further 2 stages just in in VR, and what a difference! Again, like Driveclub, racing in VR makes it so much easier to judge corners and distances. I love it.

Playing on a Pro, and while the visuals are a little muddy the overall effect is brilliant. Highly recommended.

C43FA7aWcAAdeJW

C43FQTOXAAAfzAQ

Yeah that is all there. Spun out and sitting there I looked back, thought it looked unusual. Stood up walked behind car, wow that is odd but don't really care. Sat back down and carried on. If it was a road car based game with a focus on car models it would bother me but race cars and having everything from the original game accessible is far more important. If there were racing game fanboy wars on VR, my word this would be one of those issues that would create multiple 100+ page threads, luckily we are in a grace period where we don't have that bullshit.

Ah I agree, I still think we need more power and better tech before we start getting too critical against what is a technology still very much in its infancy. Can't wait to try out tonight though, thinking I'll even get the wheel out from behind the sofa!

Top Bottom