• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally VR PS4 Released

MGR

I edited my post above, so perhaps you didn't see it. Have you updated the game with the latest patch? That might tie the game and DLC together.

Doesn't appear to be any new patch available. Still v1.03

Which is strange seeing as you can purchase the latest version full game/vr bundle no problem.

5taquitos

Which is strange seeing as you can purchase the latest version full game/vr bundle no problem.
Could be a store problem, I've seen similar issues in the past with other games. Try tweeting Codemasters and/or Sony, they may be unaware and able to fix it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How does this work if you don't own Dirt Rally? Is the VR sku a separate, $60 product?

I loved it on the Oculus, but HMD fatigue was pretty bad. After being able to play through Resident Evil for hours with zero discomfort on PSVR, I'm definitely double dipping to get this on PSVR.

There is a new patch coming. People that have the VR DLC can't play in VR until they have the update.

Codemasters have said midnight, but not sure which time zone that applies to. (Possibly UK)

Hopefully once that lands it will solve your problem.

ManeKast

How does this work if you don't own Dirt Rally? Is the VR sku a separate, $60 product?

I loved it on the Oculus, but HMD fatigue was pretty bad. After being able to play through Resident Evil for hours with zero discomfort on PSVR, I'm definitely double dipping to get this on PSVR.

You buy what I bought. Dirt Rally VR Bundle. Has original game, 3 dlc packs and VR included. Its discounted until the 27th. From $99 to $69 au.

If you own the game to unlock VR you pay $10us or whatever it is in AUD.

MGR

There is a new patch coming. People that have the VR DLC can't play in VR until they have the update.

Codemasters have said midnight, but not sure which time zone that applies to. (Possibly UK)

Hopefully once that lands it will solve your problem.

Cool, thanks :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You buy what I bought. Dirt Rally VR Bundle. Has original game, 3 dlc packs and VR included. Its discounted until the 27th. From $99 to $69 au.

What is in the DLC packs? New tracks?

Joystick

What is in the DLC packs? New tracks?

Three cars "unlocked and upgraded from the start of the game" and each "includes an exclusive livery and a unique engineer with perks".

Sounds like the cars are available in the base game after levelling up.

And PS VR has, for the moment, this exclusive feature:

A new two-player, co-operative ‘Co-Driver Mode’ to the rally sections of the game. This groundbreaking new feature allows a second player to become engrossed in the action as they use the buttons and touchpad on a DUALSHOCK 4® to give the pace note calls to the driver from the social screen. Just like with real life co-driving, timing and accuracy are vital in order for you to complete the stage in the best time possible.

Joystick

PS store tells me the VR upgrade is not available to purchase because I don't own Dirt Rally. I own the disc version and it's installed.

A couple of ideas (in case it's not just the upcoming patch):

Did you purchase using the right PS account?
Have you played DiRT using that same account on the PS4?
Is the PS4 set to your primary?
Is your PS4 online?
Are you using the web store or from the PS4? If you browse to the VR DLC in the store from the PS4 are you able to purchase?
Have you tried "restore licenses"?

I'm hoping to do the same - buy physical base game, digital DLC.

atomsk

Party Pooper
1.04 patch is up (in North America anyway)

This update includes support for the PlayStation VR expansion, available for download from the PlayStation Store

- Adds support for PlayStation VR in all game modes and menus
- Adds PlayStation VR co-driver mode for Rally

Three cars "unlocked and upgraded from the start of the game" and each "includes an exclusive livery and a unique engineer with perks".

Sounds like the cars are available in the base game after levelling up.

And PS VR has, for the moment, this exclusive feature:

That sounds cool. Though I'd probably spend too much time fucking my friends over...

sourc3d

1.04 live in the UK too, just waiting for the dlc switch to get flicked on the store now. :)

dirtvr_menu1.jpg

So close.....hurry up dlc store update

MGR

So I've updated to 1.04 and still can't purchase the upgrade. Same message saying I don't own the game.

I even tried launching the game and buying it through the in game menu. No dice.

Good job Codies :/

Freeman76

So I've updated to 1.04 and still can't purchase the upgrade. Same message saying I don't own the game.

I even tried launching the game and buying it through the in game menu. No dice.

Good job Codies :/

I guess they only want money from people who went digital. Must be a glitch though.

Rodelero

It's live in the UK now, but like others, I am unable to purchase the Upgrade DLC Add-on as it requires that I own Dirt Rally... which I do, but on a disc.

I'm sure it's a trivial fix, just a question of them realising that something's gone wrong. It's kind of a weird error really, given that you normally can buy DLC for games you don't own on PSN.

ManeKast

It's live in the UK now, but like others, I am unable to purchase the Upgrade DLC Add-on. I'm going to hazard a guess that the store is looking for the Dirt Rally license on your account, but it doesn't count the Legendary edition of the game.

Either way, it's probably a trivial fix, just a question of when they realise it's happened.

Still havent heard of anyone whos played it yet at all, even on whirlpool forum in aus who bought the full package AND the ppl who added the addon. Just wondering whats going on.

Mine will be done in 26hrs lol. Should be right by then.....

Rodelero

Still havent heard of anyone whos played it yet at all, even on whirlpool forum in aus who bought the full package AND the ppl who added the addon. Just wondering whats going on.

Mine will be done in 26hrs lol. Should be right by then.....

I found a stream of someone playing it from the game's OS level menu on the PS4.

Can someone give impressions re: how this look on a PS4pro? Not muddy like DriveclubVR?

will buy if good!

I certainly will, when I can actually but the sodding thing!

Dropped @dirtgame a tweet about it just now, but I'm out till breakfast anyways, gj those who get to play before then :)

ManeKast

I found a stream of someone playing it from the game's OS level menu on the PS4.

So it should be sweet then once we get the full digital download.

Ppl buying just the addon are still in the dark though as its not working? Hopefully a fix incoming.

sourc3d

Can someone give impressions re: how this look on a PS4pro? Not muddy like DriveclubVR?

will buy if good!

OK, I've just got the dlc downloaded in the UK and running in VR now on Pro!! So far so good, all menus are 2D cinema mode, switches to VR only once the car pulls up and it goes into cockpit.

In game on Pro from initial test it looks pretty good, overall detail levels remain, mid ground and distance not as muddy as driveclub, certainly more playable. But those yumps, are giving my senses (or lack of) a real workout. :)

Not the best shot but taken on mobile through the headset lens!

Photo%2017-02-2017%2C%2001%2018%2052.jpg

mrobbo

Neo Member
Hmm, i'd say its as blurry as driveclub easily. Jaggies everywhere. Great sense of speed, but graphically poor. Played on a Pro as well.

DavidDesu

Well is is frustrating waiting for the DLC to go live. Argh. Got to be up in 6 hours for a then 13.5 hour shift. Wanted a quick spin to see how it felt.

Fuck You whoever is responsible..

sourc3d

Hmm, i'd say its as blurry as driveclub easily. Jaggies everywhere. Great sense of speed, but graphically poor. Played on a Pro as well.

There's quite a bit of shimmer to the image when car is slow or still, but this lessens when you are driving at usual speeds. What surprised me most was turning around and there being no rear to the car whatsoever! having got used to seeing fully realised interiors in driveclub/pCars in VR.

baby_gotno_back.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So if I buy the full VR version it unlocks and fully upgrades 3 cars? Is there a way to have it not do this? I'm assuming you can get these cars through normal play, right?

Shadoken

Is this VR bundle available on the US Store? All i see is the $60USD base game.

sourc3d

QUOTE=lowrider007;230467051]Ummmm, that's very disappointing, kinda wished I grabbed an occulus now :-([/QUOTE]

Certainly just doing rallycross at lydden with rain and wet surface looked pretty damn good, not least because most of the track details remain intact, mid distance retains a decent amount of sharpness and distant objects can be made out.

Sharescreen capture image

dirt_vr_rain.jpg
[

I'd still say its way improved as far as drivability goes over what you get with DriveclubVR, and on par with my experience of playing other racing games with a rift.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Certainly just doing rallycross at lydden with rain and wet surface looked pretty damn good, not least because most of the track details remain intact, mid distance retains a decent amount of sharpness and distant objects can be made out.

I'd still say its way improved as far as drivability goes over what you get with DriveclubVR, and on par with my experience of playing other racing games with a rift.

Thanks for the feed back, very tempted to grab it, at the very least I'll still have a good 2d game I suppose.

mrobbo

Neo Member
Ummmm, that's very disappointing, kinda wished I grabbed an occulus now :-(

It's still fun as hell to play in vr, but anyone expecting to be impressed visually might need to reign in their expectations. Unlike Driveclub though the whole game is playable in vr, not just select tracks. So, even with the average graphics, this might be my prefered way to play going forward.

DavidDesu

It's still fun as hell to play in vr, but anyone expecting to be impressed visually might need to reign in their expectations. Unlike Driveclub though the whole game is playable in vr, not just select tracks. So, even with the average graphics, this might be my prefered way to play going forward.

For me it's about the VR experience, being in the car, with proper depth perception and the rest. I don't mind if visually it's a bit bland. Some say the base game looks pretty poor, I disagree and think it does what it needs to do and does it right. Great lighting and feeling to the stages (dull British weather was never captured so believably). There's tons of details in the distance that helps give the stages a real sense of scale (guess some of this might be lost in VR though).

C'mon Sony/Codies, get the DLC up for purchase, I'm dying to try this out! Hope to god I can play it for longer than Driveclub without getting queasy.

Newk86

Driveclub VR is perfectly fine for me, so it's exiting to hear that this game looks even better. Shame to hear about the lack of full interior though.

Reallink

Paid "VR DLC" is honestly some bullshit, I bought so many Steam games on the mere hint of VR "support" (i.e. experimental DK2 modes). All titles I wouldn't have even looked at otherwise, never mind purchased. They would have easily picked up enough base game sales solely on the back of VR to make it a worthwhile endeavor, there is no need for a $10 add-on. It's actively detrimental cause a lot of people are going to balk at paying twice, reducing potential sales, and their analytics will suggest VR interest is lower than it actually is.

sourc3d

For me it's about the VR experience, being in the car, with proper depth perception and the rest. I don't mind if visually it's a bit bland. Some say the base game looks pretty poor, I disagree and think it does what it needs to do and does it right. Great lighting and feeling to the stages (dull British weather was never captured so believably). There's tons of details in the distance that helps give the stages a real sense of scale (guess some of this might be lost in VR though).

C'mon Sony/Codies, get the DLC up for purchase, I'm dying to try this out! Hope to god I can play it for longer than Driveclub without getting queasy.

I've just done a decent length rally at Monte carlo sunny/midday, looked pretty good though the majority of the stage, lots of tight corners and hair pin bends so I was using the VR view out of the side window quite a lot which was nice. My run started getting a bit scrappy toward the end with lots of wall related mistakes, so I got to see how the game deals with car rolling etc, the game pulls in the VR cloak of darkness to give you tunnel vision during the worst moments, although I still felt my stomach start to turn after a few of these.

TheMan

has anyone in the US played the VR version yet? I downloaded the update and the option to buy the DLC is there but when I try I get an error...

Love it so far. I'm so used to PSVR's visual limitations I don't even notice them like I did at the beginning, especially in a game like this (I think it looks a lot better than DC). I have the game on PC but the pad never really gelled with me, however in VR I am really liking it, going to have to get a wheel now though but it is certainly still fun without one. I was slightly disappointed it felt so smooth at first until I found the VR options, turning them off made it so much better and far closer to my tastes.

Only did a basic session going from a fresh file, quick and dirty adjustments to breaks and differential didn't dig into much else just played with a few different cars and conditions. Night and Rain gets a huge thumbs up from me, so much better in VR it can't be understated. Was really rusty at first however was quick to get into and feels easier/accessible due to the better perception. Edges, so much fun to dance near.

What are you on about? The whole game is playable in DC you just don't get weather, the Lamborghini's and the Alpine (which were season pass stuff anyway). The rest is all there.

Top Bottom