• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is Nintendo's Biggest Launch Ever in the Land Down Under (Australia)

Striek

You're right, they aren't the same. I'm not talking about the people with reasonable reservations.

My point being the number of people making accusations of hate seem to be far outnumbering the actual haters. To the point that they've brought negativity into what should be a positive thread.

Welfare

Australian launch weeks for Nintendo hardware

Wii: 32,901
3DS: 31,000
DS: 19,191 (best launch for a system back then so all previous consoles launched below that)
Wii U: ???

Well done. That said, March console releases aren't particularly unusual in Australia.

OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 were also March launches in Australia. Gamecube was launched in May (from memory) some six months or so after the US launch. Older consoles had it even worse in terms of delayed lauches.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we have numbers for PS3, 360, PS4 and Xbox One?

RRR

I read elsewhere (so could be totally false) that it was a 50-60k initial shipment. No new stock until April so stores will need stock to last until then.

requiem02

Banned
Same. A huge part of neogaf has become toxic since Switch release. A potential succes could strengthen the negativity.
I really think a small group of people here were desperate for Horizon to completely eclipse Breath of the Wild and piss all over the Switch party, and are furious that wasn't the case.

Disclaimer: I love both games.

Its only silly because you're an overly invested fanboy who disagrees and sees negativity around every corner.

You say that but GAF has been bad recently especially with Zelda getting a 98 on metacritic.

Also throwing the word fanboy is really unnecessary.

freefornow

Gold Member

DS: 19,191 (best launch for a system back then so all previous consoles launched below that)

Is this Australia and New Zealand combined? Have sales of hardware in these these two countries always been counted together?
PR for Switch is AUS/NZ combined.

Aspiring

Well no one but me has one that I know. Also midnight launch wasn't that busy and they had lots of stock still. I'm curious how it stacks up compared to the competition. Thats where the real info lies.

EDIT:

Well there you go. Now I wish we knew PS4 as the gaming industry booms down here numbers get bigger.

Striek

You say that but GAF has been bad recently especially with Zelda getting a 98 on metacritic.

Also throwing the word fanboy is really unnecessary.

I don't think it is. Someone mocked a fair point so I gave honest feedback (Edit: I also don't think its a personal attack, FWIW, just a way of reminding we all parse every post through different lenses).

Also I see tremendous positivity on gaf at the moment towards all games and 2017 in general, the Switch and Zelda in particular. If anything I think this is the most chilled out the gaming side has been in years. There is no overarching, overbearing hate for the Switch and most conversations along that line stem like this one ITT, from defensive, combative comments that spirals on for half a page. Some people are just never happy with being happy.

Edit: Never knew that XBOne launch was so beastly.

Welfare

Well no one but me has one that I know. Also midnight launch wasn't that busy and they had lots of stock still. I'm curious how it stacks up compared to the competition. Thats where the real info lies.

EDIT:

Well there you go. Now I wish we knew PS4 as the gaming industry booms down here numbers get bigger.
Xbox One actually has the largest week one sales as The Australian Financial Review reported PS4 week one was below Xbox One week one, but that is clearly due to supply not being as available.

This is becoming an ever more unexpectedly nice surprise. Glad to see it's doing so well all over the world!

I'm still only cautiously optimistic, since we stil don't know whether these sales can be maintained without third parties, and the upcoming WiiU ports/very similar sequel are games that didn't exactly move hardware the first time people could buy them, but still, this is encouraging.

_Clash_

This is becoming an ever more unexpectedly nice surprise. Glad to see it's doing so well all over the world!

I'm still only cautiously optimistic, since we stil don't know whether these sales can be maintained without third parties, and the upcoming WiiU ports/very similar sequel are games that didn't exactly move hardware the first time people could buy them, but still, this is encouraging.

Deluxe and Splatoon 2 will be fire.

ARMS will be a sleeper hit

Ban Puncher

greenandgold.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
a9lsIRs.jpg

GAF: since the tragic death of Nintendo

Market: he's not quite dead

GAF: since the near-fatal wounding of Nintendo

Market: he's getting better

The Hermit

How can this system sell so much, when it's following the WiiU and has a myriad of hardware issues.

I still think this will be big, but did not expect to go out of the gate so strong

bidguy

Banned
How can this system sell so much, when it's following the WiiU and has a myriad of hardware issues.

I still think this will be big, but did not expect to go out of the gate so strong

even xbone sold well at launch and id argue it had a worse image than switch

a whole batch of big third party games are skipping switch and i bet sales will tank rather sooner than later due to that

Lernaean

Banned

Because it doesn't have a myriad hw issues. It's actually one of the best hw i ever had in my life, unlike Wii and WiiU.

Yeah, I was at a launch night, I was pretty much the only person there who wasn't picking up Zelda as well. It was pretty busy but nothing like as big as Pokemon S/M or OR/AS but that's not really a fair comparison since you didn't have to buy a new $500 console to play them.

The thing is, if this continues to sell this way off the backs of MK8DX and Splatoon 2, you'll start to see a good amount of that third party support coming. It's all about a snowballing effect starting from the launch.

Good to see these sales look pretty consistent worldwide. Let's hope this continues into April!

I'm pretty sure the majority of purchasers have experienced zero hardware issues. The ones who have are just far more vocal about it.

Also as far as the general populace is concerned this is following the Wii, not the Wii U!

Plum

The thing is, if this continues to sell this way off the backs of MK8DX and Splatoon 2, you'll start to see a good amount of that third party support coming. It's all about a snowballing effect starting from the launch.

This, if this thing's still selling as well as it is now come September, October, etc you can bet your ass that EA will be scrambling together Frostbite for the thing and Ubisoft will be downporting the new Assassins Creed.

Or they just miss the mark again and release dumbed-down "fun" versions of their properties because "it's a Nintendo console!"

This, if this thing's still selling as well as it is now come September, October, etc you can bet your ass that EA will be scrambling together Frostbite for the thing and Ubisoft will be downporting the new Assassins Creed.

Or they just miss the mark again and release dumbed-down "fun" versions of their properties because "it's a Nintendo console!"

Eh, the difference this time (between this and the Wii) is that the power gap isn't anywhere near as big, so you won't need a "fun" version, as it can fairly easily handle full versions, though obviously with downgrades. I fully expect Assassins Creed to be happening already, regardless of sales, and you'll likely see CoD too. The other games like Destiny, Battlefront, etc. will all depend on whether or not this sells gangbusters during the year.

The "staggered" launch releases may really help achieve that consistency.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Neon's sold out weeks ago but I hear you can still find the regular if you look.

Unlike the Wii U, people are actually aware Switch is a thing. I have mates who know I'm a Nintendo fanboy, that I rarely hear from, which are texting me for info. I'm pretty confident that this console will manage to carve out its own market.

slit

IMO, Switch seems to be the most or one of the most hated consoles ever, lol. The more such threads appear, the more hate it gets.

It's Nintendo themselves they usually hate. People lost their damned minds during the Wii domination years.

Plum

Eh, the difference this time (between this and the Wii) is that the power gap isn't anywhere near as big, so you won't need a "fun" version, as it can fairly easily handle full versions, though obviously with downgrades. I fully expect Assassins Creed to be happening already, regardless of sales, and you'll likely see CoD too. The other games like Destiny, Battlefront, etc. will all depend on whether or not this sells gangbusters during the year.

The "staggered" launch releases may really help achieve that consistency.

Yeah, that was me being cynical. Though I do still expect FIFA 18 to be dumbed down in more than just graphical fidelity and engine, a decision that I think EA will regret quite a bit.

Top Bottom