• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility (Mar. 13th, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a 5/10 is reasonable for Horizon, neither are the two 6/10 Zelda got, Jims 7/10 is the bare lowest he could give the game without losing all credibility, and he knows that very well. Even if you "hate" the game you review, you still have to recognize the amount of work that went into it and that's what jim did in his Zelda review.
Jesus Christ.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In my philosophy days, we used Occam's Razor in our experiments and another class work to help break down something that was simple/obvious as to a choice that needed to be determined. For example, lets say you feel that your girlfriend cheated on you. If all the evidence supports that conclusion and you just "felt" in your gut this was the case, versus the simple explanation from her as "I would never cheat on you" - the obvious answer is if the evidence is there and you just "feel" it, you are most likely correct.

You may want to get a refund on whatever qualification you got from that course. I'm pretty sure Occam's Razor isn't simply 'gut instinct'.

Prismo

Neo Member
Does anyone else think that some of this hysterical bullshit is somewhat caused by the sunken cost fallacy of a bunch of people having effectively just bought a single game system and needing that game to be above reproach?

Steroyd

I really don't understand complaints about weapon durability along the lines of "I never get to use my good weapons!".... I'm constantly flooding in good weapons. You just need to learn to let go, more will come. Sure you're not going to use your top tier stuff on everybody... but that's a good thing. I don't wanna just spam the same weapon on everyone, a truly great weapon SHOULD be reserved for truly important fights. And if you really need to use them then suit yourself and go farm them from Hyrule Castle enemies -- if you want to cheese the game you should have to put in the work for it.

I've seen people say "blabla if you want good weapons you can farm at...", granted I'm on the outside looking in atm, but surely something must be ringing in your head if your solution to someone's distate of the durability system and wanting to keep the good weapons for an event that never arrives, is basically telling them they can grind at a certain spot, which is another tedium that can sap a persons enjoyment out of the game.

No, he has an objectively incorrect point.

Consider the game design; it's a massively open world. You will come back and revisit areas as you explore. Due to the nature of game design and the way you start out, your enemies are weaker and brandish weaker weapons than the more resilient enemies you'll encounter in other areas of the map as you explore further.

Weapon breakage acts as a dynamic scaling to the difficulty of enemy encounters. When you defeat more difficult enemies who wield more powerful powerful weapons, you are now effectively on the same footing as the enemies you are encountering in that area by having a weapon of equal capability. This doesn't happen drastically, as you move from one area to the next, the enemies slowly become more powerful, as do the weapons you find, so you are never hopelessly underpowered. The important thing here is also that you are never ridiculously overpowered either. If weapons didn't break, or you could simply repair them, then you would end up with an arsenal of high powered weapons that would simply destroy enemies easily as you venture back to areas of the game where lower level enemies with lower tier weapons exist, thus negating any perceivable challenge in revising areas.

What you find instead, is you keep a few high power weapons for areas when you know you'll venture into areas with high level enemies and use lower power weapons in areas with lower level enemies because weapons capable of defeating those enemies will remain in abundance.

It's a balancing act that prevents encounters from every being too difficult or too easy.

There's nothing wrong with people not liking any game for whatever reason. If people don't like this system, that's fine too, but it's implemented for a reason.

What is irking about Jim is his shouty, "I'm fucking right, this is never fun and fuck everyone else who didn't pick up on it." It's his usual shtick of being a pompous self righteous ass. He doesn't discuss or court any form of discussion, he simply talks down on anything he doesn't agree with or like and this is just his way of presenting things. As a 'journalist' the entire point is that you look at all angles. Jim could never see far enough past his need to jump on the subject and turn it into another one of his little tirades to actually consider the implementation of the system.

It's ok to not like it, but he makes a clear statement about the system that is extremely one dimensional. Some of his rants come across as justifiable, but on the whole I find the guy hard to take seriously when his ego gets out of control and his pulling his authoritarian rants on how everyone else is wrong. I'm sure many teenagers and some young adults find his sweary anti-establishment rants amusing, those of us that grew up just find it immature and boorish.

I'm 33 and I think he's hilarious. Reminds me a lot of Charlie brooker when he wrote for the guardian. I think you're taking his routine a bit too literally. He is playing a character at the end of the day.

zeldablue

Nah, it has dropped to 97% after his review, which only made the man babies even more mad.

...Okay. I can empathize with that. I've been playing the game too much to actually pay attention to anything else.

C'mon Jim. I don't understand how the weapon durability could effect the score that much. It just seems to add to the chaos of fighting, and I thought it was nifty.

Game reviews are weird and gamers will never stand to see their games rated as brutally as movies are. We're sensitive little angels. IMO anything rated 6 or under should be reserved for games that have serious technical flaws.

I like it

Yep, as do a lot of us. Calling it a flaw doesnt make much sense, but if you dont enjoy it thats all there is to it.

Jim saying "im supposed to believe soldiers use these swords that break so easily?", when real swords did break all the time (of course its played up because of how it functions as a gameplay mechanic here, but obviously everything is exaggerated in this game), sounded a bit daft tbqh.

im supposed to believe Link can cook a meal in 5 seconds? he would get food poisoning!
How can link carry so many things and still climb huge cliff faces? im supposed to believe this?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. 7 is a good score, but not everyone thinks that way, sadly. There would probably be a couple of people who wouldn't get the game simply because Jim gave it a 7. Which is unfortunate.

A 7/10 on my scale is a good game that I'd happily recommend to friends, just maybe not at full price.

Amir0x

Banned
My 'favourite' is Carolyn Petit, who was vilified and harassed for the mortal sin of giving GTA5 a 9. A FUCKING 9

oh god I had erased that one from memory

I don't think a 5/10 is reasonable for Horizon, neither are the two 6/10 Zelda got, Jims 7/10 is the bare lowest he could give the game without losing all credibility, and he knows that very well. Even if you "hate" the game you review, you still have to recognize the amount of work that went into it and that's what jim did in his Zelda review.

Dude, that's not how reviews work though. On his scale, 7/10 is a good score and he calls it good repeatedly and he lists a huge chunk of shit he loved about the game. This is why it's such a flaccid criticism. Again, it comes down to a number for people... it's not even whether his criticisms were well supported or not from his perspective. It's just about whether a score was 'credible' because it was too outside the norm. If he thought the game was a 6, he should have gave it a 6.

"Hard work", by the way, is absolutely not part of any assessment of how good a game is. A game could be worked on for thirty straight years with a staff of 9000 employees and cost 380 million dollars to develop and if the game sucks, no amount of "hard work" is going to redeem it.

Similarly, Zelda:BotW is clearly a work which was a labor of love. Nobody is denying this. Jim doesn't even deny this, on his list of things he likes. But just because you're well intentioned doesn't mean you have to believe the systems all work. There are clearly things people have problems with, even those who scored it 10/10 mention it. Things like the technical issues the game has, and for many people the durability. And how much it impacts the score is by definition arbitary. MHWilliams stated that he understands the durability complaints well and thought it would be divisive and still give it a 5/5!

People need to understand there is nothing objective about game criticism, except listing stats like "A, B, Y, Y pulls off a lightning combo" or "this game runs at 900p." No critical consensus ever means that an outlier is wrong. That's not how this works.

Weapon durability is asinine and pointless. Some of the hardcore Souls guys seem to love it for some reason? At least in Dark Souls III it replenished at the bonfire. During my hundreds of hours of Dark Souls III, I never had a weapon break on me. Nioh made the right call of removing its durability system after the alpha. It's an awful mechanic that I wish would perish.

Oh, that and running to the boss after each death. That is also an annoying trend that has perverted itself outside of Souls games.

takriel

Does anyone else think that some of this hysterical bullshit is somewhat caused by the sunken cost fallacy of a bunch of people having effectively just bought a single game system and needing that game to be above reproach?
Certainly. This is but one aspect of the whole process though. There's also the need to protect aspects of your own identity from criticism, i.e. people who identify a bit too much with their favorite game/product/company whatever needing to defend them no matter what.

Steroyd

No! NO!

It's like saying no credible reviewer should give Ride to Hell Retribution any lower than a 4/10 because obviously someone put effort into making a game that boots up, gives off sound effects for the most part and has voice acting, then the effort into making those motorbike sections and combat sections because they had to re-work the game engine etc.

If they implemented a mechanic that jim didn't find fun it gets marked down, Jim likes Zelda BOTW, he just didn't like it as much as everyone else.

daninthemix

I agree with him on weapon durability, and - since right now his site seems to be down, presumably due to attack - I agree with him on the fanboys, too. Just pathetic, so pathetic.

Ardenyal

I find WWII to be a "good" war, in regards to what the Allied Powers accomplished under the duress applied by the Axis. It bettered humanity and changed the face of democracy and war as we know it.

You can't however, gloss over the horrible, despicable atrocities committed by the Nazis that occurred during the interim. It was a time of utter horror and crimes against humanity that none of us can, or will fully ever comprehend.

Jim Sterling's argument is "good" - and I disagree entirely with it.

Dropping nukes on civilians is "good"?

NEO0MJ

...Okay. I can empathize with that. I've been playing the game too much to actually pay attention to anything else.

C'mon Jim. I don't understand how the weapon durability could effect the score that much. It just seems to add to the chaos of fighting, and I thought it was nifty.

Game reviews are weird and gamers will never stand to see their games rated as brutally as movies are. We're sensitive little angels. IMO anything rated 6 or under should be reserved for games that have serious technical flaws.

This hearkens back to the last gen where it seemed every game deserved above 9 because reasons. It was bad before but last gen especially was really bad until very late into it.

I think it was actually Slant's score which caused the drop? They scored it 60 after Jim.

I see. I only poked into the review thread and some were blaming him for it.

Branduil

Weapon durability is asinine and pointless. Some of the hardcore Souls guys seem to love it for some reason? At least in Dark Souls III it replenished at the bonfire. During my hundreds of hours of Dark Souls III, I never had a weapon break on me. Nioh made the right call of removing its durability system after the alpha. It's an awful mechanic that I wish would perish.

Oh, that and running to the boss after each death. That is also an annoying trend that has perverted itself outside of Souls games.
Guns with limited ammo is asinine and pointless. It's an awful mechanic that I wish would perish.

What is professional here? His website got DDoS'd and people were calling him names even before his review went up when he started expressing frustration about the durability. Are you saying he shouldn't have addressed it? Or are you saying he should have behaved differently with this incident then he does with any other industry problem he encounters?

He has a brand, and a brand personality. Part of this brand is being a consumer advocate with his harsh, voice-of-the-people rhetoric, even his outfit is inspired by such media imagery. Now, to you, harshly and playfully calling these groups out and unifying that message with his already stated misgivings about the systems is somehow unprofessional. But that's what he does, and it's not attention seeking (that is, any more than it necessarily is as a product he is selling, same as any review ever). He genuinely believes his views, and he goes through a damn lot of trouble to articulate why. His review was extremely thorough and expansive. But if he didn't deliver those views in his signature style, or he didn't go after those "babies" who are literally crying about the score for no reason... he wouldn't be delivering his product.

And people who pay for his product expect it. For you this is "seeking attention." For Jim, it is "delivering the product people pay for." He's a consumer advocate who is also delivering a product his consumers demand. When you parse it out, you can easily separate what he does from true attention seeking. Because nobody seeking mere attention would put in half the effort he does to elaborate on the problems he has. There are far easier ways to troll fanboys, because fanboys are the world's easiest target.

By the standards of Deckard Chapel, he failed. But you have not proved by any measure that he has not described his problems at length or that he doesn't really feel this way or that he was wrong to get angry at the people who ridiculously overreacted over a score. You don't like that he called them out on it, or that he plays with them as a cat does a ball of yarn. But that is the product he delivers. His job is NOT to let those things go, because it's less entertaining if he does. And he's not just a critic - he's an entertainer.

And you are fine not to be entertained by it. But accusing him of being inauthentic in his views or intentionally giving it a low score to rile people up or some shit is just absurd and completely out of character for who we all know Jim is.

No I'm basing it on professional etiquette.

You and everyone else that's criticizing my opinion of his "reaction to my own review" video is assuming that I'm purely against his 7/10 review based on the Metacritic aspect.

That is absolutely not the case.

I am against it because I think it violates a trust between someone that has an axe to grind with a company and someone that truly wants to get the word out on how amazing a game is.

You don't see any of the mainstream reviewers [and by mainstream reviewers, I'm referring to those that work for corporations, i.e. IGN, GameSpot, etc. that turn in their reviews to inform the public on whether a game is good in their eyes or not - not people that get ad-revenue for clickbait from their YouTube channel shows] employing the same type of childish, trolling tactics that he resorted to. They are reviewing the game confidently and it seems that across-the-board, the game was revered with either perfect, or near-perfect scores. In the case of Jim Sterling, what is so different in his eyes that he would resort to a 7 - and I'm not trying to say that a "7" is a horrible score - but based on the law of averages, his score is far lower than expected. Now add to that the simple fact that he hates Nintendo and he makes this abundantly clear - just look at his "You should pirate Nintendo games" video prior to his BOTW review reaction video yesterday - It's no secret that he doesn't like Nintendo and vice versa, so I wasn't expecting a glowing review from him; but seeing his 7/10 after all the trolling and fanboy bashing aside, it just seems rather a slap in the face to everyone that actually took the time under NDA's and normal mainsream media professionalism to review the game.

Yes really.

I can't speak for those that resort to technologically childish means because they don't like a review score; but I can speak for those that read his review and then saw his childish tantrum afterwards, accompanied by a severely unprofessional attitude in saying that I find it monumentally lacking in social graces and any sort of respectable, critical weight that should carry a Metacritic anything.

You may want to get a refund on whatever qualification you got from that course. I'm pretty sure Occam's Razor isn't simply 'gut instinct'.

Okay, take the example that I gave about you feeling that your girlfriend cheated on you - and by feeling, I mean that you have people telling you left and right that she did - but you weren't there, you're not psychic and you don't know for sure - but the evidence is overwhelming based on the number of people telling you the exact same things - some of whom don't even know each other and her only defense is "I would never cheat on you baby!" ... you also feel it in your gut ...

What's your Occam's Razor response?

A terrible one.

I am also quite calm and I've had my rest. I'm not the one drawing Nazi analogies over a number tho...

Um, I'm just making an educated opinion based on something that Jim Sterling said and did.

I'm not the one standing behind a podium with my initials surrounded by Eagle's Wings behind me...

Wait, what??

Tomeru

enemies do scale with you

Thats even weirder then.

i am pretty sure nintendo took a real good look at your idea.
But somehow they went for item durability.
Seems rather silly to ignore this amazing game only to this "mistake"

Didn't say it needed to be ignored because of this.

Scale with what, health? Your current inventory?

That's kinda silly. That defeats the purpose of improving your character and getting better stuff in the first place, and it also removes the schadenfreude of getting rid of lower level mobs easily when they show up since higher tier weapons degrade slower on lower tier enemies.

FF8 shows, clearly, that scaling enemy lvl with you is not pointless, and that it doesn't take from the player improvement one bit.

daninthemix

Guns with limited ammo is asinine and pointless. It's an awful mechanic that I wish would perish.

Er, nope. This argument doesn't work. If I find a cool gun - that's a worthwhile pickup / reward, even though I have to also find ammo for it.

If I find a cool sword that will break after a few minutes use, that's a minor reward at best.

Branduil

Er, nope. This argument doesn't work. If I find a cool gun - that's a worthwhile pickup / reward, even though I have to also find ammo for it.

If I find a cool sword that will break after a few minutes use, that's a minor reward at best.
It's exactly the same thing. The only difference is we've been trained by game design to expect that melee weapons should be permanent, rather than an expendable resource like ammo. That's why I said they should have just renamed all the weapons "Melee bullets."

This is the base of the criticism regarding the weapon durability and I accept it.

Are there times when I'm fighting
a Lynel
and I'm really pissed-off that my two best weapons just broke and he still has half health?

Absolutely!

But you know what, it makes me have to think on my feet.

I know that I've got several bows and a couple more weapons in stock and also my Bomb Runes, so there's always something I could do - maybe I could flank him from one side, maybe parry his attacks, maybe dodge a blow and get a "Flurry Rush", perhaps find a high point and paraglide over him while dropping bombs, maybe I'll just have to run away and regroup in the nearest town - there's always something I can do in the spirit of the moment and that's simply the point of it all - and I love it.

If you had unlimited weapon durability, the game would be a cakewalk, just like pretty much any other Zelda game.

I still think it's the exact same thing.

Numb

When people tie themselves to a product and think a criticism of it is an attack on them and a criticism of their buying choices

Ascenion

Yes. 7 is a good score, but not everyone thinks that way, sadly. There would probably be a couple of people who wouldn't get the game simply because Jim gave it a 7. Which is unfortunate.

The problem here is that a 7/10 on metacritic is in fact not a good score. Green defines good and a 7 is yellow. A 7.5 or 75 is a good score. Metacritic seems to be the root of all this conflict anyway so we might as well use their standards. While I'm mentioning that, a reviewer has to know once they allow themselves to be on metacritic the personal scale is gone. You're abiding by Metacritic's scale now which for video games has anything below a 75 being questionable.

It's exactly the same thing. The only difference is we've been trained by game design to expect that melee weapons should be permanent, rather than an expendable resource like ammo. That's why I said they should have just renamed all the weapons "Melee bullets."
I don't know what shooters you have played, but in something like Vanquish, there are very few guns. You can make clips last an incredibly long time through precise shots and very deliberate actions. Some weapons are situational while all being generally efficient.

Your weapons are broken, you picked up a broken short sword in Dark Souls. Not an efficient tool nor does it help the mechanic.

You can see why this argument isn't appropriate.

kunonabi

The weird thing is he could have pointed out stuff worthy of dropping the game to a 9 or an 8 but instead chose some fairly minor, and in some cases really petty, things to dock the game all the way down to a 7.

Honestly, the only thing that frustrates me about Jim's review is that he says weapon durability systems are bad, and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong.

It's an awfully petulant thing to say. I don't think he's wrong to have an opinion on a system like that (it's awfully subjective as to whether weapon durability is fun or not), but it is really childish to say people who don't agree with you on a subjective matter are wrong.

I honestly don't care if it's a component of the character of "Jim Sterling" or the Jim himself saying this; it's a really shitty attitude.

Weapon durability will never be fun. No one can convince me otherwise.

And nobody has to. It's a matter of taste. If you don't like it, that's all well and good. I feel a good balance can be struck. Games like Fallout 3 and NV handled weapon durability extremely poorly, while BOTW uses it as a mechanic to encourage players to try out new weapons and master a range of combat styles, instead of picking one style and exclusively sticking to that.

Lanrutcon

The problem here is that a 7/10 on metacritic is in fact not a good score. Green defines good and a 7 is yellow. A 7.5 or 75 is a good score. Metacritic seems to be the root of all this conflict anyway so we might as well use their standards. While I'm mentioning that, a reviewer has to know once they allow themselves to be on metacritic the personal scale is gone. You're abiding by Metacritic's scale now which for video games has anything below a 75 being questionable.

I don't think so. That would mean every single reviewer would be using the metacritic scale just be allowing metacritic to use their review, and their individual scales (that they clarify and define in each of their sites/publications) are moot. None of them would agree to that. Not the 10/10s, not the 9/10, not the rest.

No I'm basing it on professional etiquette.

I am against it because I think it violates a trust between someone that has an axe to grind with a company and someone that truly wants to get the word out on how amazing a game is.

You don't see any of the mainstream reviewers [and by mainstream reviewers, I'm referring to those that work for corporations, i.e. IGN, GameSpot, etc. that turn in their reviews to inform the public on whether a game is good in their eyes or not - not people that get ad-revenue for clickbait from their YouTube channel shows] employing the same type of childish, trolling tactics that he resorted to. They are reviewing the game confidently and it seems that across-the-board, the game was revered with either perfect, or near-perfect scores. In the case of Jim Sterling, what is so different in his eyes that he would resort to a 7 - and I'm not trying to say that a "7" is a horrible score - but based on the law of averages, his score is far lower than expected. Now add to that the simple fact that he hates Nintendo and he makes this abundantly clear - just look at his "You should pirate Nintendo games" video prior to his BOTW review reaction video yesterday - It's no secret that he doesn't like Nintendo and vice versa, so I wasn't expecting a glowing review from him; but seeing his 7/10 after all the trolling and fanboy bashing aside, it just seems rather a slap in the face to everyone that actually took the time under NDA's and normal mainsream media professionalism to review the game.

You're right, it's so clear Jim hates Nintendo.

He never reviews their games positively.

Absoutely never.

Terrible scores all round

He clearly just gives all their games controversial scores.

Why do you hate Nintendo, Jim?

Why can't you say anything good about them?

Especially Zelda. He clearly hates Zelda.

It's definitely clear that Jim hates Nintendo and all their products.

Or maybe he doesn't and he just thought this particular games was worth a 7/10 to him

The only way I can feel good about this thread is if I assume a majority of posters are children.

The idea of grown adults getting this emotionally riled up about a fucking video game review is...unpleasant

cheesekao

And nobody has to. It's a matter of taste. If you don't like it, that's all well and good. I feel a good balance can be struck. Games like Fallout 3 and NV handled weapon durability extremely poorly, while BOTW uses it as a mechanic to encourage players to try out new weapons and master a range of combat styles, instead of picking one style and exclusively sticking to that.
As Jim said, the system railroads you into using a weapon you may not want to use. Dark Souls, for me at least, is a good example of a game that subtly encourages weapon diversity. Certain enemies are easier to take down with specific weapon classes but any weapon class is viable to a degree. If a game makes a person WANT to try another weapon instead of forcing it, that to me is good game design.

This is beyond valid, if not the main point of contention here.

What I've been saying is based on all the evidence of him trolling before he even played the game and then his behavior after his review with that "review response" video. It really seems as though *in his mind* he was just "sticking it to Nintendo". I just think that his opinion is so obtuse and irregular that he's literally in the miniscule of the minority view, but whatever.

The weird thing is he could have pointed out stuff worthy of dropping the game to a 9 or an 8 but instead chose some fairly minor, and in some cases really petty, things to dock the game all the way down to a 7.

Thank you. Again, this isn't about the Metacritic ranking, it's about journalistic integrity and the fact that he is not a part of any major NDA signing entity affiliated in any way with Nintendo. He has a clickbait channel based on Patreon, so he's entitled *whatever that means* to do whatever he wants to do. He honestly should not be weighed as a Metacritic candidate because he clearly knew the scale and scored the game just below where it would rank in the yellow, causing it to be a controversy and a problem.

Jim will be Jim I guess, which is why I rarely if ever, watch anything he "makes".

Ascenion

I don't think so. That would mean every single reviewer would be using the metacritic scale just be allowing metacritic to use their review, and their individual scales (that they clarify and define in each of their sites/publications) are moot. None of them would agree to that. Not the 10/10s, not the 9/10, not the rest.

That's not exactly what I'm getting at. I'm saying that they know when the review hits metacritic it abides by that scale and the personal one is irrelevant on metacritic. A 7 isn't good there and they know that. Personally I think a 7 is a fine score, but I know if I gave something that and it went on metacritic it would hurt the game. I guess I'm saying metacritic dictates review culture and for some reason it treats games and movies differently. And all reviewers are aware of that. The metascore shouldn't matter but it does and we al know it. I think this is exactly why Kotaku and verge and other places don't score anymore.

Steroyd

Why should he?

That's metacritic's problem not Jim's, none of the reviewers should be giving a solitary single fuck about their metacritic contribution when giving a score because that just raises questions on their credibility.

"I was going to give this game a 7 but because of metacritic's broken perception of a good game I'm giving it an 8"

BashNasty

Weapon durability will never be fun. No one can convince me otherwise.

Zelda: BotW would be a vastly different (and worse) game if weapons didn't break.

As others in this thread have pointed out, weapons breaking is integral to the game balance.

You don't have to like it, but it would be really, really bad if it wasn't there

To (slightly) simplify the issue, think of the weapons in Zelda like ammo. Would, say, Wolfenstein: TNO be the same game if every weapon you found had unlimited ammo?

Jim will be Jim I guess, which is why I rarely if ever, watch anything he "makes".

Lol, why is 'makes' in quotations here? Does he not make his videos? What about the list of videos I posted a few points up that compltely refutes your claim that he just hates Nintendo and wanted to "stick it to them"?

To (slightly) simplify the issue, think of the weapons in Zelda like ammo. Would, say, Wolfenstein: TNO be the same game if every weapon you found had unlimited ammo?

I probably would have enjoyed it more tbh. Like Doom basically has unlimited ammo and it's pretty much known as the best shooter of the last 20 years by a lot of people.

Chinner

Banned
Zelda: BotW would be a vastly different (and worse) game if weapons didn't break.

As others in this thread have pointed out, weapons breaking is integral to the game balance.

You don't have to like it, but it would be really, really bad if it wasn't there

So there's no depth to the combat and instead Nintendo have to artificially create challenge with awful weapon durability?

Yikes.

Good point :)

Mr_Moogle

I'm with Jim on this one. Weapon degradation just doesn't add anything tangible to a game unless it's survival horror. It's not just bad in Zelda either. I hate it just as much when it shows up in other games like Dark Souls.

Lanrutcon

That's not exactly what I'm getting at. I'm saying that they know when the review hits metacritic it abides by that scale and the personal one is irrelevant on metacritic. A 7 isn't good there and they know that. Personally I think a 7 is a fine score, but I know if I gave something that and it went on metacritic it would hurt the game. I guess I'm saying metacritic dictates review culture and for some reason it treats games and movies differently. And all reviewers are aware of that. The metascore shouldn't matter but it does and we al know it. I think this is exactly why Kotaku and verge and other places don't score anymore.

I think there's definitely a huge discussion to be had around Metacritic and how it's warped review culture. My personal belief is that people really shouldn't put much stock in Metacritic, but yeah. I get what your saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom