• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[April fools] Arika's Street Fighter EX characters return...

My predictions:

The April Fools thing was a big ploy to get people interested. No offense to my fellow EX lovers, but this game barely carries any weight in the FGC, much less the gaming community.

It's a "proof of concept" for developers to get interested in. Once they get under a publisher's umbrella , they'll rework some (not all) of the animations and shit.

OR

They already have a developer, most likely either NB or Capcom. No way they could do this on their own, much less market the damn thing. Garuda shows up in SFV either way as a promotional character to hype up their game. EX4 in turn gets a character or two, or maybe more.

Anyway, stream is up. I don't have an account though.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv294629441

colonyoo

The stream's down for now but it's supposed to go up again shortly. It was primarily just shots of people's hands on arcade sticks. The camera showed the screen enough to show that the game in fact Exists and is Playable, though.

And yeah, if this isn't an ultimately cruel and elaborate prank, it's gotta be a pitch attempt to get a full game going.

My predictions:

The April Fools thing was a big ploy to get people interested. No offense to my fellow EX lovers, but this game barely carries any weight in the FGC, much less the gaming community.

It's a "proof of concept" for developers to get interested in. Once they get under a publisher's umbrella , they'll rework some (not all) of the animations and shit.

OR

They already have a developer, most likely either NB or Capcom. No way they could do this on their own, much less market the damn thing. Garuda shows up in SFV either way as a promotional character to hype up their game. EX4 in turn gets a character or two, or maybe more.

Anyway, stream is up. I don't have an account though.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv294629441

Barely carries weight with the FGC is not a reason for the game to not exist or be worked on or excited about. Frankly, it could be said about most SNK games, sadly. Or GG. Or BB. Or any anime fighters. Yet they get talked about anyway, people play them anyway and they sell anyway.

The stream's down for now but it's supposed to go up again shortly. It was primarily just shots of people's hands on arcade sticks. The camera showed the screen enough to show that the game in fact Exists and is Playable, though.

And yeah, if this isn't an ultimately cruel and elaborate prank, it's gotta be a pitch attempt to get a full game going.

Can vouch for this as I was watching too. Yeah most likely a pitch, I hope someone picks this up.

not enough smear frames in that footage

tumblr_nr07z2FHDm1rn8um6o2_1280.gif

tumblr_nr07z2FHDm1rn8um6o1_1280.gif

tumblr_nlwa9zB0TR1rn8um6o1_1280.gif

Barely carries weight with the FGC is not a reason for the game to not exist or be worked on or excited about. Frankly, it could be said about most SNK games, sadly. Or GG. Or BB. Or any anime fighters. Yet they get talked about anyway, people play them anyway and they sell anyway.

Well, yes and no. EX has been gone for decades. It's not comparable to games like GG, BB, or SNK, who keep their games running and relevant. EX, like other smaller games, has not. Like, if someone were to try and revive Kakuto Chojin, it'd be pretty difficult to drum up interest.

I'm not saying EX shouldn't exist, but they need to find someone to latch onto in order to make a bigger splash and do some heavy marketing to draw in not only hardcore players, but newbies interested in this type of game.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Ono has wanted to get a hold of Arika for a while now, so...

Evilisk

So it's real then? I wonder what this means for SFV (since the last DLC character's silhouette seems to be Garuda).

Late, but I remember seeing this ages ago. Not surprised that this current thing ended up being more than an April Fools joke because of it.

Because it looks fun and doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike SFV?

You mean that same SF5 has Zangief blocking a sword with just his chest?

Harpoon

I've always been a little surprised Capcom and Arika haven't collaborated at all since EX3. Both companies seem to still be on good terms with each other, especially since they did those EX character profiles for the CFN Portal.

LiK

Wait, so they're streaming this and stuff. Could this be real or simply the most elaborate gameplay for a game we will never get?

eggandI

Banned
Wtf? This looks even better than i thought. They already got the gameplay down they really just need money and time to make this a real product

Keeping my figers crossed

klee123

I do hope this eventually results in a proper fighting game.

Personally, I don't care if it ends up not having any SF characters as I really like the Arika's own creations.

I haven't played yet. :p

Damn, thought you were the dude in the red but I see a lot more people there than I thought would be.

- A lot of it looks like stuff taken from EX3. Does Arika own the rights to that game?
- Meter gain right now is so fast. Pretty much like EX3 IIRC. Damage is scaled down though so even three bar canceled supers aren't doing anything more than 40 percent
- The sidestepping thing doesn't look too important right now. It's a weird mix of 3D and 2D. I'm sure that'll change.
- Runs really well. I guess that's UE4 huh?
- Seemed to be a guard break like move but it doesn't break guard?

Edit: never mind, Ono ain't there. Don't trick me, chat!

By the way, that reminds me - the developer has been talking about Capcom and SFV for the past year on his Facebook randomly. I'd be very, very surprised if Capcom didn't put their hands in this somehow.

VariantX

I...can't do this. the stream keeps dying every other minute. I'll just get the highlights later or something.

Edit: just realized those voice samples probably go back to 97'... damn I feel old

Seyavesh

Joke? Pretty real to me.

i mean, in the sense that it currently exists as an april fools exclusive joke

did they say anything about what it actually is meant to be or is it just a big celebration of playin' the game?

seriously the backdash and run speeds though

and the momentum carrying on the run when you do normals out of it aaaaa god it's so sick

For shame~!

It was still quite fun, even if EX2 was a tough act to follow!

EX2 was so great. I think I would have liked 3 more if they didn't have the tag system.

Welp, time to pick up the collection again. If they don't announce it at Capcom's panel tomorrow.

Lmao got em

I was rused!

I still think Capcom is gonna sweep this shit up. All they have to do is act as a publisher and lend some support to a tweaked EX3 system.

Harpoon

Hearing that something was said during the stream about them not having enough money to do a full game? So it looks like this is meant to be a way to gauge public interest and maybe find a publisher.

They might as well try Kickstarter if all this is just a novel way of floating the game out to potential publishers. It'd certainly give the game an automatic publicity boost.

Holy shit that's sad.

I'm gonna campaign the shit outta this game. It'll be like I'm helping this motherfucker run for president or mayor or some shit.

Top Bottom