• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[April fools] Arika's Street Fighter EX characters return...

Totally agree. I think the EX roster is more appealing without the Street Fighter characters; they're consistent with each othet but always felt like oddballs next to the classic roster. It's a great kind of vibrant and whacky that is lacking between the self-serious SFV, Netherrealm, KI bunch and the Arc/anime fighters - that "B-tier" Capcom fighter i.e. Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, etc.

It's also a great counterpoint to SFV, which I love, but has so many haters (as will the new Mahvel I suspect) who I think would pick up a new EX on principle and hopefully find a solid, fun title.

Well, the turnout for this game was largely because of SFEX. In fact, you had people asking if the game was gonna come with SF dudes or not. It'd be a different story if the legacy wasn't built with the SF attached to it, but there ya go.

I don't think they necessarily need all the SF characters, but a few would definitely help bolster interest.

Scotia

Banned
Probably pretty late on this but I heard the working title for this is Fighting EX Layer. I think it's a decent working title tbh.

Skilletor

I never defined exactly what I meant by "fun," so here you go.

(1)The "almost anything goes" gameplay that allows you to link normals to specials, specials to supers, and... supers to other supers! As a primarily Capcom and SNK gamer at that time, this was a huge deal to me, and honestly I didn't understand why other games didn't allow this before. All the crazy, nonsensical comboing is pretty goddamn fun, if you ask me.
(2) The characters break some of the conventions of "generic ass martial artist" or "Japanese school boy/girl." The variety and wackiness of the characters would not be matched again until Street Fighter III.
(3) Even the Arika-side shoto clones are more fun/interesting than Ryu and Ken. I mean, one of those dudes has a dashing punch, which is followed by a stomp that serves absolutely NO purpose. Love it.
(4) The soundtrack to this game managed to outdo every Street Fighter soundtrack that came before it, and not a better one has been made since. It's actually the only Street Fighter soundtrack that I consider to be on par with the SNK masterpieces of the 90s.
(5) EX Plus Alpha had a lot of single player modes, including an "Expert" Practice Mode that I wished other games around that time had.

For all of those reasons (and more), a lot of the "technical" jank is forgiven. Note that this is the second post where I acknowledge that you're 100% correct on the jank aspect of the game.

My comment was not meant as a personal attack on you, and you shouldn't take it as such. I guess it's my frustration with the fighting game environment these days. Everything needs to be technically flawless, or for retro releases, "arcade perfect." Which is what prevents games like Street Fighter EX from being made in this modern environment. Which is why you get technically amazing/immaculate but soulless shit like Street Fighter V.

Thank you for explaining. Our definitions of fun are vastly different and the only thing on that list that matters to me was the combo trial mode, which was great. This game didn't have an "anything goes" type combo system, outside of maybe excel combos, because of the stuff I said previously. Everybody pretty much had the same combo for utility in gameplay, which was to link a couple of medium attacks into a special, into a super (which, funny enough, is similar to SF5 :p). Combos aren't what make games for me. It's the moments that lead up to the combos, and in that regard, SFEX was always lacking. I don't think people copied it because most games focus on supers having utility outside of combos rather than fodder inside of them.

I disagree that everything needs to be technically flawless. That's not why games like this aren't made. The reason games like this aren't made is because people expect better. They expected better when it came out because there were better games coming out. They expect better now because that's still the case (at least as far as Arika's past fighters are concerned...I won't comment on the quality of this, other than to say it already looks to have many of the issues I had with their other fighters). Unless arcade perfect has changed its meaning, it literally means...arcade perfect. That hasn't been a concern for a long time.

So, I still stand by my original post. People didn't avoid this because of its graphics. They avoided it because it was a golden age of fighters and because of that, SFEX fell, rightfully so imo, to the bottom of the barrel.

I'd give this a shot just because of the Arika characters, but my interest begins and ends there.

The problem I have with your logic is that...casuals are the ones who buy the games. People like me who wax nostalgic about the gameplay like this are a minority. We don't matter much for sales. This is something that has been hammered home to every single person like me in almost every thread about SF5. Competitive players don't matter. So not only do we not matter, we somehow, also, make games like this hard to get made because of "EVO standards." That's fucking frustrating, and you can see it in a lot of threads, including this one.

TreIII

Well, the turnout for this game was largely because of SFEX. In fact, you had people asking if the game was gonna come with SF dudes or not. It'd be a different story if the legacy wasn't built with the SF attached to it, but there ya go.

I don't think they necessarily need all the SF characters, but a few would definitely help bolster interest.

Just throw in everybody's favorite crossover dude, Akuma.

So he can get his ass beat by Garuda, again~

Just throw in everybody's favorite crossover dude, Akuma.

So he can get his ass beat by Garuda, again~

Haa! That was the best part of about SFEX's story. They pushed him out of the game and made him sulk in the shadows like a little baby.

Raitaro

Man, this looks cool as hell indeed.

So is there absolutely no chance that Capcom might still snap this up and publish / fund it as a new SF EX game? Nothing against crowdfunding and making this a Fighting Layer game but still, working with Capcom kinda makes sense here no?

Capcom's already been including EX characters in the online character profile art and Garuda is could be one of the season 2 DLC characters for V so it seems they are indeed aware that people like these characters and games. Skullomania has been brought to their attention multiple times as well in the past, to which they always responded with the standard "Arika owns him" spiel if memory serves me.

Surely they could work something out with Arika in terms of licensing fees / shared revenue or something if they practically get a game handed to them to be added to their CFN portfolio within a sub-genre they themselves do not directly create games in anymore (as well as characters to be used in SFV possibly). The summer child in me says: do it Capcom!

Harpoon

The thread title should really be updated to reflect that this isn't quite an April Fools joke after all.

Also, I feel like if Capcom was really interested in publishing this, they already would be. I imagine Arika would have tried contacting them already.

Capcom said they've been trying to get ahold of them. It's entirely possible that Arika wanted to fish out their options before going straight to them.

Raitaro

Capcom said they've been trying to get ahold of them. It's entirely possible that Arika wanted to fish out their options before going straight to them.

I see. That does strike me as an Arika that is confident in their game, confident enough to go the route of crowdfunding to avoid having to share profits and characters with Capcom possibly.

Best of luck to them then - I'll try to support this game however I can.

Pompadour

I can see Arika digging this up now because if S2 has an EX character it would give this game a nice boost in coverage.

I see. That does strike me as an Arika that is confident in their game, confident enough to go the route of crowdfunding to avoid having to share profits and characters with Capcom possibly.

Best of luck to them then - I'll try to support this game however I can.

I'd like to think this is what's going on:

Capcom was like "hey lemme use your characters"
Arika wants to hold onto the identity of their characters and make a new game
Arika also wants to make a game with more identity rather than being a SFEX game and more Fighting Layer
Capcom strikes a deal with them getting Garuda in their game. If the interest is high enough, Capcom might publish their game so long as they don't make it too much about SF.

If Capcom wants too many changes, they'll go the route of KS. Maybe Namco Bandai might pick them up, but I can't see other developers stepping in.

Coda

Kind of late on this news but man does this look good, I'm so glad it's real. Akira is a great. I own their Espgaluda PS2 port and it's the business.

I love how the movement and dashes look. This could be the new Street Fighter-esque game I want.

Eolz

Source? Where did they say that?

But yeah, this is pretty much a prototype to gauge interest at this point. I'm sure they'd prefer to have a publisher instead of having to go through crowdfunding.

Thank you for explaining. Our definitions of fun are vastly different and the only thing on that list that matters to me was the combo trial mode, which was great. This game didn't have an "anything goes" type combo system, outside of maybe excel combos, because of the stuff I said previously. Everybody pretty much had the same combo for utility in gameplay, which was to link a couple of medium attacks into a special, into a super (which, funny enough, is similar to SF5 :p). Combos aren't what make games for me. It's the moments that lead up to the combos, and in that regard, SFEX was always lacking. I don't think people copied it because most games focus on supers having utility outside of combos rather than fodder inside of them.

I disagree that everything needs to be technically flawless. That's not why games like this aren't made. The reason games like this aren't made is because people expect better. They expected better when it came out because there were better games coming out. They expect better now because that's still the case (at least as far as Arika's past fighters are concerned...I won't comment on the quality of this, other than to say it already looks to have many of the issues I had with their other fighters). Unless arcade perfect has changed its meaning, it literally means...arcade perfect. That hasn't been a concern for a long time.

So, I still stand by my original post. People didn't avoid this because of its graphics. They avoided it because it was a golden age of fighters and because of that, SFEX fell, rightfully so imo, to the bottom of the barrel.

I'd give this a shot just because of the Arika characters, but my interest begins and ends there.

The problem I have with your logic is that...casuals are the ones who buy the games. People like me who wax nostalgic about the gameplay like this are a minority. We don't matter much for sales. This is something that has been hammered home to every single person like me in almost every thread about SF5. Competitive players don't matter. So not only do we not matter, we somehow, also, make games like this hard to get made because of "EVO standards." That's fucking frustrating, and you can see it in a lot of threads, including this one.

Fair enough, I can admit my "EVO standards" comment was out of frustration. I grew up playing mainly fighting games and got decently good at them, so of course I loved the technical aspect to them.

But I also very much enjoyed the "casual" content of fighting games, and in many cases that content determined whether I even got the home console version of the game. For example, I like the atmosphere, soundtrack, and characters of the original Art of Fighting, even though mechanically that game is pure ass.

I think we are (violently?) agreeing about some things, and wholesale disagreeing on others. In any case, I respect your opinions!

Neff

How would you feel if Capcom steps up?

Best possible scenario, because we get Ryu, Ken, DDark, Skullo and the gang all together again.

But I also very much enjoyed the "casual" content of fighting games, and in many cases that content determined whether I even got the home console version of the game. For example, I like the atmosphere, soundtrack, and characters of the original Art of Fighting, even though mechanically that game is pure ass.

My man.

In a related note, it does kind of feel a shame that a lot of the 'casual' side of fighters has given way to the e-sports side of things. The absence of arcade mode (which is actually my preferred way to play VS while I'm on the subject) in SFV is obviously symptomatic of this.

yurinka

It looks great. I want this game to be developed. Doesn't matter if as Street Fighter EX 4 or as Fighting Layer 2.

Skilletor

Fair enough, I can admit my "EVO standards" comment was out of frustration. I grew up playing mainly fighting games and got decently good at them, so of course I loved the technical aspect to them.

I think we are (violently?) agreeing about some things, and wholesale disagreeing on others. In any case, I respect your opinions!

Nothing violent. :) I definitely agree with you, and even relate with many fighters I play (I love her naruto ninja storm games even though I know they're lacking on a mechanical level).

More fighters is always a plus in my book. If this comes out, I'll definitely play it.

In a related note, it does kind of feel a shame that a lot of the 'casual' side of fighters has given way to the e-sports side of things. The absence of arcade mode (which is actually my preferred way to play VS while I'm on the subject) in SFV is obviously symptomatic of this.

SF5 is the only example of this you could name. Pretty much every other fighter out there has released with plenty of single player content. NRS games thrive on them, Smash Bros, KoF has its traditional modes even if they're not as fleshed out, ASW games have a fuckton of content, KI, T7 is launching with what looks like a really awesome and new take on a fighting game story. Capcom has even made note of this and says that MvC:I will have a story mode at launch.

I disagree that the casual side of fighters has given way to the e-sports side of things.

Neff

SF5 is the only example of this you could name.

even if they're not as fleshed out

That's basically what I'm talking about. Street Fighter is the biggest name out there, and it's setting the precedent.

I'm fine with e-sports chasing fighting games, but I'd prefer if it didn't happen vice versa.

Skilletor

That's basically what I'm talking about. Street Fighter is the biggest name out there, and it's setting the precedent.

I'm fine with e-sports chasing fighting games, but I'd prefer if it didn't happen vice versa.

lol...why did you clip what you wanted to read from my quote? KoF has a story mode as its often had. That's what wasn't fleshed out. Every other example I said does.

Literally every other example I listed and pretty much every fighting game coming out has lots of single player content.

Street Fighter isn't setting the precedent (for single player content), NRS is. They're why SF5 had a story mode in the first place.

farisr

Whether it's Capcom or anyone else, it's all good as long as it gets made.

You guys think this would succeed in crowd funding?
I think it can probably do well enough via crowdfunding to earn a title at the level of KI season 1 at least.

But yeah, I'd personally want Capcom to step in, or if not just them, then one of the console makers to step in and approach both Capcom and Arika in regards to this and get a full title made. If they manage to make a full fledged game (with Street Fighter characters) and its exclusive to a system,I'll buy the system it's on if I don't have it already.

petghost

Banned
animations look pretty weird to me, like they are really low frame count or maybe its just that the normals are getting canceled or something. tbf i kinda remember the EX games and fighting layer looking a bit like that too from the footage i seen.

speaking of weird some of the mechanics seem strange too, like the pseudo 3d plane thing which looks like it can create really tight spaces (example: https://youtu.be/o2x8c-RFGnA?t=1m4s ) where both opponents are effectively cornered. there are these really tight quarters but people still got runs, what a weird choice.

i never played the EX games or fighting layer so maybe this stuff was standard and something people dug.

Neff

Literally every other example I listed and pretty much every fighting game coming out has lots of single player content.

That's great, but I still dislike the idea of fighting games prioritising e-sports and tournaments over what's on the disc, whether isolated or not.

Dueck

Banned
Honestly, as much as I wasn't the biggest fan of EX, it wasn't bad, and Capcom has really lost its way with SFV. It'd be nice to have something different to spice things up.

Skilletor

Honestly, as much as I wasn't the biggest fan of EX, it wasn't bad, and Capcom has really lost its way with SFV. It'd be nice to have something different to spice things up.

KoF? Blazblue? Killer Instinct? Skullgirls? Tekken? Yatagarasu? Guilty Gear? Mortal Kombat? Injustice 2?

JediLink

I'm definitely interested but not quite sold. If they put up a kickstarter I'd want a bit more information first before I'd pledge for it.

RM8

KoF? Blazblue? Killer Instinct? Skullgirls? Tekken? Yatagarasu? Guilty Gear? Mortal Kombat? Injustice 2?
Only KOF and maybe Yatagarasu play somewhat like SF though. To me, Arcsys/Marvel/Skullgirls feels like an entirely different genre, lol. I do love Tekken and MK, but not in place of SF.

This just makes me want a Rival Schools game. :(
I loved Rival Schools back in the day, but not anymore. First because as opposed to before, the Japanese school setting doesn't feel fresh - I actually avoid it in 2017, we've had enough games with that setting for generations to come. Second, because I played it recently and I didn't enjoy the gameplay that much. Jeez, I guess the highschool setting is what makes it prime for a return in 2017.

Oh man I absolutely love the ex games. Infact for the longest time it was my favorite SF series. They are so fun. Minus the third game. I think that one sucks. I just found them easier and more fun with the chain super into super mechanic, Compared to other sf games.

This looks pretty good so far just needs a bit of work on some of the old animations.

I am totally down for a revival with only ex characters. They need to bring Blair and Hayate back though.

Top Bottom