• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[April fools] Arika's Street Fighter EX characters return...

Eolz

But Kickstarter is useless unless they seek Capcom's permission for Street Fighter, I don't think its appealing with just Arika characters.

I hope Sony do something similar marketing like Shenmue 3.

It's perfectly appealing enough. EX fans know those characters and hardcore fighting game players are more interested in mechanics.
It looks pretty enough to be more appealing than some other games for the casual fighter too.
I hope Sony doesn't.

Some of their later designs were pretty shit tho. Like Shadow Geist, Volcano Rosso and urgh Area

Nooooo

SG was like a Showa villain and a foil to Skullo. His design screamed final boss of a Kamen Rider show or something. It was great.

Volcano was gaudy but I loved it.

Area is fucking terrible, you ain't lying about that.

Vespa

Nooooo

SG was like a Showa villain and a foil to Skullo. His design screamed final boss of a Kamen Rider show or something. It was great.

Volcano was gaudy but I loved it.

Area is fucking terrible, you ain't lying about that.

Yeah this is how I feel about those characters too. SG is fine when you got king Skullomania running around. Volcano's outfit is bad but he looks like Maxi so can't hate on him.

Area :/

Baleoce

But Kickstarter is useless unless they seek Capcom's permission for Street Fighter, I don't think its appealing with just Arika characters.

I think if recent events have taught us anything, it's that a big legacy franchise doesn't guarantee commercial success in this genre. I'd be more intruiged to see what they do on their own, but if they did end up seeking a partnership then that's okay too.

eggandI

Banned
What would even be the budget for a new EX game? 2-3 million at minimum?

Multiplayer + training mode + GGPO

Launch with a 6-8 character roster

Sell the game for 20 bucks

Bam. There it is. If the sales are good then use that for DLC characters or make a new kick starter for the new chars. Thats how they could make this project possible IMO.

Numb

full

mjontrix

Ex Plus a is still my absolute favorite Street Fighter Game.

Maybe the hardcore didn't like it but it was super, super fun. It's easy for anyone to play and difficult enough to master - maybe not to the extent of having a super high skill cap like SFV.

And this alpha build/april fools thing looks better than SFV - Capcom please you're out of your league here.

Did I mention it was fun? Especially the Team Battle mode.

Some of their later designs were pretty shit tho. Like Shadow Geist, Volcano Rosso and urgh Area

No lies detected.

Shadow Geist is barely tolerable, while the other two you mentioned just outright... suck. And wasn't Area the one with that shitty beam super in EX3?

Speaking of EX3... That game's arcade mode sucked. It seemed like a bunch of disjointed battles with really random "objectives" attached to them. And in general, by the time of EX3, the series was starting to feel like a parody of itself.

So in the slim chance that we get a new entry, I'd like it to be closer to EX Plus Alpha.

Skilletor

The EX formula has always been really fun. However, most dismissed the classic games due to the graphics.

And the jank gameplay. Most of the cast having the same normals, super weird jumps, awful walk speeds and movement.

Most dismissed it because this was a high point in fighting games being released and sfex was not very good.

farisr

Funny how old games always become everyone's favorite...only when they're old.

People absolutely HAAAAAAAATED the EX games 10+ years ago. I remember the disdain everyone had for these games on SRK in the 2000s.

Now, they create some shiny new models and place the EXACT SAME animations from TWENTY years ago in a demo, and the crowd goes wild, lol.
or maybe, just maybe, a topic about the EX series is attracting folks who enjoyed the games back then. Nah, that's crazy talk.
Me, my brother and his friends were heavily into the ex series. Ex+alpha was the reason my local game store started talking preorders and created a notify list because we would call everyday to ask if they received copies yet (release date/arrival date kept on shifting). We literally played it for thousands of hours, and regularly​ went back to it during the PS3 days.

And the jank gameplay. Most of the cast having the same normals, super weird jumps, awful walk speeds and movement.

Most dismissed it because this was a high point in fighting games being released and sfex was not very good.

Heaven forbid we are actually allowed to have fun with our fighting games, instead of trying to have every fighting game be some ultra competitive EVO-worthy masterpiece with flawless mechanics and amazing character balance. /s

Sorry if that was a bit aggressive, but that's the whole point. I (and probably many other people) never thought Street Fighter EX was supposed to be some grand masterpiece. It was a deeply flawed game (including for the reasons you mentioned), but it provides some truly wacky FUN, something that seems to be lacking in modern fighting games that (in my opinion) take themselves way too seriously.

sinkfla87

Please make this game, Arika. Shit if money is too tight then launch with 6 characters, 3 stages, make a F2P option available where you get 1 stage and 1 character for free (with the free character rotating each week) ala KI.

This game is probably going to be more Fighting Layer/SFEX3 than SFEX2. So people expecting Excel levels of crazy shit are gonna be sad.

Skilletor

Heaven forbid we are actually allowed to have fun with our fighting games, instead of trying to have every fighting game be some ultra competitive EVO-worthy masterpiece with flawless mechanics and amazing character balance. /s

Sorry if that was a bit aggressive, but that's the whole point. I (and probably many other people) never thought Street Fighter EX was supposed to be some grand masterpiece. It was a deeply flawed game (including for the reasons you mentioned), but it provides some truly wacky FUN, something that seems to be lacking in modern fighting games that (in my opinion) take themselves way too seriously.

You can continue with your nebulous definition of what you find fun. I'll continue to explain why I didn't think it was very good. I didn't think characters that largely controlled and moved the same with the same normals made for a very good game. Some of the jank was entertaining, but when you come out the same time as alpha 2 and tekken 2 (which hasn't aged well...just like sfex, except this looks like sfex did all those years ago), virtua fighter 3 and others... I know what I'd rather be playing. I don't know where this EVO talk comes from. It's pretty damn annoying that breaking down how a game plays and why I thought it was bad is subject to this...I dunno...some kind of prejudice against competitive play just because I want to talk about a game deeper than its surface.

EVO and the competitive scene didn't even register when this came out. It was bad compared to its contemporaries. Which is what I was responding to in the first place.

Hokuto is waifu, tho.

I hope this gets made, I'll take all the fighting games I can get.

You can continue with your nebulous definition of what you find fun. I'll continue to explain why I didn't think it was very good. I didn't think characters that largely controlled and moved the same with the same normals made for a very good game. Some of the jank was entertaining, but when you come out the same time as alpha 2 and tekken 2 (which hasn't aged well...just like sfex, except this looks like sfex did all those years ago), virtua fighter 3 and others... I know what I'd rather be playing. I don't know where this EVO talk comes from. It's pretty damn annoying that breaking down how a game plays and why I thought it was bad is subject to this...I dunno...some kind of prejudice against competitive play just because I want to talk about a game deeper than its surface.

EVO and the competitive scene didn't even register when this came out. It was bad compared to its contemporaries. Which is what I was responding to in the first place.

Hokuto is waifu, tho.

Ever since SFV came out there's been a narrative among casual players that competitive players are trying to steal fighting games from them (and all competitive players are pro tournament players).

Kashiwaba

Looks ok but really some people think this looks better than SFV!? With Tekken 7 coming in less than 2 months this looks like a bad joke in comparison if i want to play a 3d fighter i would pick Tekken over SFex anytime.

BossRush

Is it even possible for this game to have rollback net code if it gets made? I haven't seen a lot of Japanese fighting games with that implemented, mostly because delay based netcode works better for a smaller region like Japan.

Or am I wrong?

I hope this gets made, I'll take all the fighting games I can get.

Ever since SFV came out there's been a narrative among casual players that competitive players are trying to stealing fighting games from them (and all competitive players are pro tournament players).

The sad thing is, casual gamers are still sensitive to balance. If SFEX2 came out today and casual fans picked up the game to play online, they'd be getting hit with those excel combos and would declare the game busted just like anyone else.

Not every game has to be "EVO competitive" or whatever, but a busted game is going to draw the least amount of people. Marvel holds a fairly decent medium (insofar that it's Marvel, and it's busted, but since everything is busted it works).

Skilletor

Is it even possible for this game to have rollback net code if it gets made? I haven't seen a lot of Japanese fighting games with that implemented, mostly because delay based netcode works better for a smaller region like Japan.

Or am I wrong?

I think capcom is the only Japanese fighting game company using rollback. It's possible, I guess.

farisr

Looks ok but really some people think this looks better than SFV!? With Tekken 7 coming in less than 2 months this looks like a bad joke in comparison if i want to play a 3d fighter i would pick Tekken over SFex anytime.
while I don't personally think it looks graphically better than sfv (though I absolutely prefer the art style), this comment is funny.

"This does not look better than SFV cause Tekken 7 is coming out soon"

Lol, what?

Kashiwaba

while I don't personally think it looks graphically better than sfv (though I absolutely prefer the art style), this comment is funny.

"This does not look better than SFV cause Tekken 7 is coming out soon"

Lol, what?
Basically I'm comparing a 3d fighter to another one SFV comment was about people saying this one looks more fun than SFV, which i don't see here.

Hopefully Arika see that a TON of people are interested in the game. The EX series was a bit jank but it was freakin' fun jank and I never played Fighting Layer but from watching videos long ago, it looked amazing for it's time. They need to port that to consoles someday, it has really neat mechanics and also one of the coolest bosses.

Skilletor

Basically I'm comparing a 3d fighter to another one SFV comment was about people saying this one looks more fun than SFV, which i don't see here.

We'll, if this were made, it wouldn't come out for a couple years. Lots of time to improve things, and it would be far removed from a Tekken console release.

farisr

We'll, if this were made, it wouldn't come out for a couple years. Lots of time to improve things, and it would be far removed from a Tekken console release.
And let's not forget it is a street fighter game still with minor 3d elements, it is not something that is trying to compete with or provide a Tekken like experience imo.

Hokuto is waifu, tho.

I never defined exactly what I meant by "fun," so here you go.

(1)The "almost anything goes" gameplay that allows you to link normals to specials, specials to supers, and... supers to other supers! As a primarily Capcom and SNK gamer at that time, this was a huge deal to me, and honestly I didn't understand why other games didn't allow this before. All the crazy, nonsensical comboing is pretty goddamn fun, if you ask me.
(2) The characters break some of the conventions of "generic ass martial artist" or "Japanese school boy/girl." The variety and wackiness of the characters would not be matched again until Street Fighter III.
(3) Even the Arika-side shoto clones are more fun/interesting than Ryu and Ken. I mean, one of those dudes has a dashing punch, which is followed by a stomp that serves absolutely NO purpose. Love it.
(4) The soundtrack to this game managed to outdo every Street Fighter soundtrack that came before it, and not a better one has been made since. It's actually the only Street Fighter soundtrack that I consider to be on par with the SNK masterpieces of the 90s.
(5) EX Plus Alpha had a lot of single player modes, including an "Expert" Practice Mode that I wished other games around that time had.

For all of those reasons (and more), a lot of the "technical" jank is forgiven. Note that this is the second post where I acknowledge that you're 100% correct on the jank aspect of the game.

My comment was not meant as a personal attack on you, and you shouldn't take it as such. I guess it's my frustration with the fighting game environment these days. Everything needs to be technically flawless, or for retro releases, "arcade perfect." Which is what prevents games like Street Fighter EX from being made in this modern environment. Which is why you get technically amazing/immaculate but soulless shit like Street Fighter V.

Dude I posted everything on Twitter, I have nothing to prove to you. :p

Oh snap, I better go check it out then. On mobile right now, so not sure if you gave a link to your Twitter.

Neff

I (and probably many other people) never thought Street Fighter EX was supposed to be some grand masterpiece. It was a deeply flawed game (including for the reasons you mentioned), but it provides some truly wacky FUN, something that seems to be lacking in modern fighting games that (in my opinion) take themselves way too seriously.

You ain't wrong.

Looks ok but really some people think this looks better than SFV!?

Personally, yes. A lot more.

Hazzuh

Hopefully this actually gets made. I'm not sure how successful it would be without the SF characters though :(

farisr

Hopefully this actually gets made. I'm not sure how successful it would be without the SF characters though :(
Yeah, I'm not sure how this would do as a standalone game without any street fighter characters. My brother, like me, is a huge fan of ex, but even he wouldn't buy this if SF characters weren't present.

Ideal scenario would be that Capcom looks at the response and deems it enough to fund this game. Next one would be one of the console manufacturers looks at the response and approaches Capcom+arika for a full game (basic modes, nothing fancy like a cinematic story mode)

What's likely is nothing will come out of this. The next most realistic scenario is that arika see this response and tries a Kickstarter or something for an ex characters only game. And then the next, much less likely, but possible doable scenario is Capcom greenlights a low budget, KI model esque entry with like 8 characters, and will use that to determine whether investing further into this game would be worth it it not.

zenspider

It's perfectly appealing enough. EX fans know those characters and hardcore fighting game players are more interested in mechanics.
It looks pretty enough to be more appealing than some other games for the casual fighter too.
I hope Sony doesn't.

Totally agree. I think the EX roster is more appealing without the Street Fighter characters; they're consistent with each othet but always felt like oddballs next to the classic roster. It's a great kind of vibrant and whacky that is lacking between the self-serious SFV, Netherrealm, KI bunch and the Arc/anime fighters - that "B-tier" Capcom fighter i.e. Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, etc.

It's also a great counterpoint to SFV, which I love, but has so many haters (as will the new Mahvel I suspect) who I think would pick up a new EX on principle and hopefully find a solid, fun title.

Top Bottom