• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[April fools] Arika's Street Fighter EX characters return...

TreIII

Poor ARIKA. Still gotta beg for a publisher when they've been in the game this long.

Let us help you, ARIKA~! BibleThump

On Max's stream, he mentioned earlier ( someone told him but it could be unreliable) that Ono seems to be there. Is he actually there? If he is, is it just for support or is he actually going to do something.

Nah, it wasn't actually him.

Ah, too bad. Even though a lot of people are on the Capcom hate train, if they just acted as a publisher it would be cool for Arika to have some backing like that and just handle the gameplay in an Arika like fashion.

EX4 would be my legit GOAT fighter for all years. They're not great games but I sunk such stupid hours into those games, that I can't help but love their jank.

Funny how old games always become everyone's favorite...only when they're old.

People absolutely HAAAAAAAATED the EX games 10+ years ago. I remember the disdain everyone had for these games on SRK in the 2000s.

Now, they create some shiny new models and place the EXACT SAME animations from TWENTY years ago in a demo, and the crowd goes wild, lol.

People absolutely HAAAAAAAATED the EX games 10+ years ago. I remember the disdain everyone had for these games on SRK in the 2000s.

Now, they create some shiny new models and place the EXACT SAME animations from TWENTY years ago in a demo, and the crowd goes wild, lol.
You don't know what you've got until it's gone. To say the FGC was spoiled for choice back then would be a gross understatement.

Plus SF fans in particular were fiercely defensive in the face of 3D fighters eating Capcom's lunch; they didn't want that shit becoming Street Fighter.

Some of us actually liked them and the jank along with it. SRK isn't everyone.

Obviously there was some hatred but it was interesting.

eggandI

Banned

Pog_Champ_Emote.png

Lmfao these people clowning on sf5 got you hurt

RM8

I'd buy any system I don't own for this, no joke. Make it an Ouya exclusive, I buy an Ouya today.

And yes! Pullum is the best <3

Neff

Some of us actually liked them and the jank along with it. SRK isn't everyone.

Obviously there was some hatred but it was interesting.

EX is kind of the antithesis of the SRK/high level/tourney experience, but that's part of its appeal. In fact at high levels, it kind of de-evolves into a strategic stalemate with a lot of its match-ups. But what it lacks in strategic excellence, it makes up for it with technical excellence and flashy, satisfying, endlessly creative combos. And the music is the bomb.

colonyoo

Once people could get past the visuals, people realized the games themselves play pretty solidly. There's been a wealth of high-level footage from Japanese arcades like A-cho or Mikado in the last few years.

EX is kind of the antithesis of the SRK/high level/tourney experience, but that's part of its appeal. In fact at high levels, it kind of de-evolves into a strategic stalemate with a lot of its match-ups. But what it lacks in strategic excellence, it makes up for it with technical excellence and flashy, satisfying, endlessly creative combos. And the music is the bomb.

The soundtrack is amazing, I wish more fighters followed its lead and based the music around a live band.

But SRK...

That was like back in 2012 when I worked at a local game store here in SA, a bunch of people came down from Austin and were complaining that Arcade UFO had installed some "shitty frisbee game in the Neo Geo called Windjammers" or some shit like that. I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough.

zenspider

Does Arika have the rights to non-SF characters? I know CFN has been posting those profiles for EX characters and Garuda is speculated DLC, but I have no idea how the licensing would work.

lupinko

how did the game feel? Was it as fun as the videos look?

Yeah it's a lot of fun, it's more fighting layer than EX tho.

But Kickstarter is useless unless they seek Capcom's permission for Street Fighter, I don't think its appealing with just Arika characters.

I hope Sony do something similar marketing like Shenmue 3.

Nah, the Arika characters are appealing enough, we need moar Blair Dame.

Does Arika have the rights to non-SF characters? I know CFN has been posting those profiles for EX characters and Garuda is speculated DLC, but I have no idea how the licensing would work.

Arika owns all the non-Capcom characters.

Lmfao these people clowning on sf5 got you hurt

Here's a list of Capcom best selling video games:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Do you see any SFEX games on there?

They weren't popular. Sorry.

I know this is GAF, but it IS possible to like SF5 AND be correct, lol.

Once people could get past the visuals, people realized the games themselves play pretty solidly. There's been a wealth of high-level footage from Japanese arcades like A-cho or Mikado in the last few years.

I know Mikado very well. They play all sorts of obscure @$$ kuso games. That doesn't change the fact that SFEX games were not widely loved or celebrated...until now.
I should know, because I was usually the only one defending them back then.

Filter

Here's a list of Capcom best selling video games:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Do you see any SFEX games on there?

They weren't popular. Sorry.

I know this is GAF, but it IS possible to like SF5 AND be correct, lol.

I know Mikado very well. They play all sorts of obscure @$$ kuso games. That doesn't change the fact that SFEX games were not widely loved or celebrated...until now.
I should know, because I was usually the only one defending them back then.

Pretty sure there are no arcade numbers on there, which is where the games were actually popular.
I went to the arcade literally every day back then, and the EX games were played MUCH more consistently by arcade players than the sf3 series.

Pretty sure there are no arcade numbers on there, which is where the games were actually popular.
I went to the arcade literally every day back then, and the EX games were played MUCH more consistently by arcade players than the sf3 series.

That's anecdotal evidence.

This was the PS1 era we're talking about. One of the most successful consoles in the history of video game consoles. The install base was massive.

If a game were really popular in the arcades, it would have sold well on consoles, too.

Even Alpha 3, a 2D game released when 2D games were dying managed to ship 1 million copies.

SFEX3 was a LAUNCH TITLE for the PS2...and it still couldn't ship a million.

klee123

But Kickstarter is useless unless they seek Capcom's permission for Street Fighter, I don't think its appealing with just Arika characters.

I hope Sony do something similar marketing like Shenmue 3.

Arika's creations were amazing and honestly I'd pay money to play a fighting game with just the EX cast.

Hokuto, Garuda, Skullomania, D. Dark, Blair and even Cracker Jack I had so much fun playing as.

Even the Shoto clones like Kairi and Allen Snider were a ton of fun too.

Now that I think about it, Arika really added a ton of characters to the EX games.....

colonyoo

And I think it's super cool that people are more accepting of games nowadays that got overlooked for silly petty reasons. I'm also just trying to point out that there's a decent amount to respect about them as games, that there's a bit more to em than just charming jank and Skullomania, y'know?

Also I'm hoping there's no secret Namco licensing issues to potentially hold up characters from Fighting Layer, since some of the characters in that roster had way more interesting mechanics than a lot of the EX characters got to have.

MattXIII

Arika's creations were amazing and honestly I'd pay money to play a fighting game with just the EX cast.

Hokuto, Garuda, Skullomania, D. Dark, Blair and even Cracker Jack I had so much fun playing as.

Even the Shoto clones like Kairi and Allen Snider were a ton of fun too.

Now that I think about it, Arika really added a ton of characters to the EX games.....

Some of their later designs were pretty shit tho. Like Shadow Geist, Volcano Rosso and urgh Area

Top Bottom