• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Also, make sure you are using the config set up that was documented in the guide.... which says to turn panic handlers off.

I almost never turn them on when testing games out.

So my new laptop is coming in tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, which is great, for I will be able to play old Gamecube games at school in HD then! :lol

How well will this fare with Dolphin:

i7-620M (2.66GHz, Boost Mode to 3.33GHz) 3MB Cache
6GB RAM
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Pizza Luigi said:
So my new laptop is coming in tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, which is great, for I will be able to play old Gamecube games at school in HD then! :lol

6GB RAM
Gamecube games will run really well, as will a lot of Wii games. I think 30 fps for most at least, I tested Double Dash on my similiar laptop yesterday and had full 60 fps

SOLDIER

Alright, got a sensor bar. Looks like I'm good to go.

I tried a couple of games, Twilight Princess and Metroid. The former was running pretty perfectly until I hit town, where the music would slow down with the framerate. With Other M, I got some slight slowdown and more jaggies than I'd hoped for.

The OP feels out of date. The current SVN has plugins for Direct3D11 as well as other features not listed. What's the optimal configuration?

Pizza Luigi said:

6GB RAM

Did you buy a HP Envy 14?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SOLDIER said:
Alright, got a sensor bar. Looks like I'm good to go.

I tried a couple of games, Twilight Princess and Metroid. The former was running pretty perfectly until I hit town, where the music would slow down with the framerate. With Other M, I got some slight slowdown and more jaggies than I'd hoped for.

The OP feels out of date. The current SVN has plugins for Direct3D11 as well as other features not listed. What's the optimal configuration?
I might do an update to it soon, but I also might wait till 3.0 comes out instead of piecemealing it.

SOLDIER

Man, I'm impressed. Smash Bros Brawl and Twilight Princess both run near flawlessly. I need some more recommendations on games that run just as well.

Does the Wii repackaging of RE1 and 0 run better than their GC counterparts?

Also, is there a way to increase the precision of the Wiimote? As it is, there's a slight delay, just about a second, but I'd like to tighten it if possible.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
OMG Aero said:
Any chance you could get some pictures of the start of the game? The Super Metroid Mother Brain flashback would make a great wallpaper.
Here are some samples that I resized so that they didn't look too bad and the whole set I took in 1080p bmp zipped up for you at Megaupload here: Metroid: Other M Opening Cutscene

dolphin2010-09-1408-44g5lr.jpg

dolphin2010-09-1408-46an8q.jpg

dolphin2010-09-1408-46l51f.jpg

dolphin2010-09-1408-46s6ev.jpg

dolphin2010-09-1408-47r6ue.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Title%20-%20Metroid%20Other%20M.jpg

Background
For decades, Samus Aran has been known as one of the first female protagonists in video games, and one of the most enigmatic. Having
traded her haunted past for the solitary life of a bounty hunter, Samus finally tells her own tale in this revealing, personal story of her
failings, her flaws and ultimately her motivation. Metroid: Other M is an unprecedented collaboration that blends the slick, action-packed
production of the world-renowned Team Ninja development team with the game design talents of the creators of the original Metroid.
Metroid: Other M is a dramatic new direction for a legendary franchise and a bold new blend between cinematics, storytelling and the
best in interactive entertainment.
  • Region: NTSC
  • Completion: 100%
  • Default FPS: 60
  • Average FPS: 40-60
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Widescreen: Yes
  • Dolphin Build: r6133, 64-bit

Issues
While the game is playable (I finished it with 100% completion), there are a lot of flaws currently. There were no serious glitches and
the game never crashed on me.
  • Screen goes black during random parts of cutscenes.
  • Sound doesn't always stay synced during cutscenes.
  • Framerate drops during sequences with a lot of enemies or effects, cutscenes, and when loading rooms.
  • Part of the hud is misaligned in first-person mode.

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Auto
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
  • Lock Threads to Cores: No
  • DSPLLE on Thread: No
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: No
  • Widescreen Hack: No
  • Aspect Ratio: Auto
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: Yes
  • Safe Texture Cache: Normal
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: Yes
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: Yes
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No
  • Enable Hotkey: No
  • Enable Wireframe: No
  • Enable Real XFB: No
DSP / Sound
  • Enable HLE Audio: Yes
  • Enable DTK Music: Yes
  • Enable Audio Throttle: No
  • Audio Backend: DSound

Screenshots

forrest

formerly nacire
Okay guys, I need some help getting the wii remote setup. I'm using Windows 7 and have the wii remote recognized by the bluetooth adapter and dolphin. The buttons actually work in game though I can't get the IR to function. (Yes I have a sensor bar) Also when trying to map the buttons in the config, there is no response when I hit the remote buttons despite them working in game. Any help? I've tried googling and looking over at the dolphin forums, but no luck.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nacire said:
Okay guys, I need some help getting the wii remote setup. I'm using Windows 7 and have the wii remote recognized by the bluetooth adapter and dolphin. The buttons actually work in game though I can't get the IR to function. (Yes I have a sensor bar) Also when trying to map the buttons in the config, there is no response when I hit the remote buttons despite them working in game. Any help? I've tried googling and looking over at the dolphin forums, but no luck.
Switch it from Emulated Wiimote to Real Wiimote?

jediyoshi

nacire said:
Also when trying to map the buttons in the config, there is no response when I hit the remote buttons despite them working in game. Any help? I've tried googling and looking over at the dolphin forums, but no luck.

The Configure section for mapping buttons is only for emulating controls. After the Wiimote is recognized, you're already set.

Leatherface

Dreams-Visions said:
Dolphin makes me angry that there is no WiiHD available to buy right now.

Ain't that the truth. I have a hard time playing my beloved wii games sometimes because of the dated visuals. I find myself constantly stalking this thread to see what could have been WiiHD.

forrest

formerly nacire
jediyoshi said:
The Configure section for mapping buttons is only for emulating controls. After the Wiimote is recognized, you're already set.
Then everything is working correctly except for IR functionality.

John

I don't suppose there are any plans among the Dolphin devs to let us computer mice as Wiimotes. They input the same information, after all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
John said:
I don't suppose there are any plans among the Dolphin devs to let us computer mice as Wiimotes. They input the same information, after all.
You can... I beat 50% of Super Mario Galaxy that way and I have a buddy who is still using it because he is too lazy to buy a bluetooth adapter.

jediyoshi

John said:

You just select DirectInput/0/Keyboard Mouse under Device when you map it. Old builds used to default it with A being left click and B right click.

forrest

formerly nacire
Stallion Free said:
Is your sensor bar on? If it's the one attached to your Wii, your Wii has to be turned on.

I have a wireless sensor bar, it was in battery mode. The light was flashing red/green (I assume indicating low batteries, but it stayed on for an hour. I'm charging the batteries now, just in case. I tried pointing the wii remote at some bright lights in my room and a lighter as well. Shouldn't that have given me a least a little movement in some regard?

*edit- So i got the batteries charged and took a few steps back from the sensor bar. All is working well now, though it seems to be a little sluggish on the response time.

SOLDIER

I have some important questions.

1. I can't get Fatal Frame to work. Dolphin keeps crashing every time I run it. Does it require some extra tinkering?

2. How can I improve the wiimote's precision?

3. Is there a way to make FMV cutscenes run smoother?

4. Finally, should I leave progressive scan enabled or disabled?

5. Also, I tried Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. It runs very smoothly and looks gorgeous, but once I start shooting zombies, half the sound effects disappear (such as the shooting sound effects with any gun). Is there a way to fix this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Holy shit, I just saw the latest Epic Mickey trailer and that game is gonna look baller on Dolphin. Same for Sonic Colors (they wisely picked a simplistic art scheme that should translate wonderfully to high-definition).

Soldier said:
1. I can't get Fatal Frame to work. Dolphin keeps crashing every time I run it. Does it require some extra tinkering?

2. How can I improve the wiimote's precision?

3. Is there a way to make FMV cutscenes run smoother?

4. Finally, should I leave progressive scan enabled or disabled?

5. Also, I tried Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. It runs very smoothly and looks gorgeous, but once I start shooting zombies, half the sound effects disappear (such as the shooting sound effects with any gun). Is there a way to fix this?
1. Take a look at the official forums before trying a game out, it will give you a good idea of what settings you will be tweaking and what state people haven't managed to get the game to (broken, playable, perfect). Official Dolphin Game Forum

2. I'm not really sure, again take a look at the forum. Make sure that the emulator is being told whether your bar is above or below the screen (same area as the progressive scan setting) as that can really screw up the pointer if set wrong.

3. FMV support has been getting better over time and a lot will run perfect, but different companies you different codecs so some will be broken until the Dolphin devs figure out how to best support them.

4. Progressive scan is meaningless if you are rendering at a higher resolutions as all the higher resolutions are rendered in progressive scan on your monitor (example: my shots are 1080p no matter what that setting is). I can't make it 1080i. This is kind of an assumption though based on that I haven't seen it look any different from progressive, the way that interlaced does.

5. Look at the forums for that one. I didn't have any sound issues when I tried it may just be a certain revision giving you an issue. Get used to checking those forums.

Fitz

Pizza Luigi said:
Nope, Dell Studio 17. I am trying out Wind Waker right now, but it's all so...blurry. Any idea what's causing it?

This should help. Haven't played WW on Dolphin for a while myself, so can't give specific recommendations, but all the info you'll need is there.

Does anyone have button config for other M that supports upright wiimote? I can't get it to activate the recharge in game. Gotta say though, playing M:OT with a 360 controller and HD makes it 100x better.

jediyoshi

mikespit1200 said:
Does anyone have button config for other M that supports upright wiimote? I can't get it to activate the recharge in game. Gotta say though, playing M:OT with a 360 controller and HD makes it 100x better.

Just have Sideways Wiimote checked in the config at which point you want to bind Tilt -> Right which emulates holding the Wiimote up, it's a little counter intuitive =p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I decided it was time for some Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat since I am getting hyped for DKCR. Looks pretty decent, but you are insane if you think it looks better than DKCR. It's neat seeing some of the effects that the team would later use in SMG quite a bit better.

Donkey%20Kong%20004.jpg

Donkey%20Kong%20002.jpg

Donkey%20Kong%20005.jpg

Donkey%20Kong%20008.jpg

Donkey%20Kong%20010.jpg

Bloodsent

Can some recommend a cheap bluetooth adapter for a Windows7 64-bit desktop using native drivers? Hoping to pick up an adapter and a wireless sensor bar from Amazon, just a bit overwhelmed, and want to make sure I am getting one that will work.

Thanks guys!

Stallion Free said:
I decided it was time for some Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat since I am getting hyped for DKCR. Looks pretty decent, but you are insane if you think it looks better than DKCR. It's neat seeing some of the effects that the team would later use in SMG quite a bit better.
Well, environments in DKCR are certainly more detailed, expansive and there's more going on, both scripted and real time... With that said, I think they should have lifted the DK polygon model from Jungle Beat along with the fur shading technique, should be certainly doable to do, even if it's use was limited to cutscenes and close-ups.

Jungle Beat... well it certainly has some bad textures in there, that I never noticed before. I assume they were actually placeholders that were left in the game considering (and pointing out) that sometimes you have a good/better leaves texture next to pretty horrible one's.

Pangya

So I've ripped a couple of games and am still getting to grips with getting the emulator to fully work but have one question:

Why does the PAL60 mode occasionally not seem to work properly? I notice some games like Muramasa and the WiiWare I've dumped (My Life as a Dakrlord demo) which can run in 60Hz on the hardware will have a FPS and VPS of 50 (well, FFCC Darklord has 25 FPS) on the emulator as opposed to 60 regardless of the option being selected or not. That said unticking the PAL60 option does add borders and change my resolution from 1280*720 to 1296*758 so it seems to PAL60 option does do something.

Also, this doesn't seem to effect all games. I found Klonoa would run with FPS and VPS of 60 when PAL60 is ticked and FPS and VPS of 50 when it wasn't.

I've not been able to test if the games running in 50 are running slower than they do in hardware on 60Hz but anyone else encountered this?

lostinblue said:
Well, environments in DKCR are certainly more detailed, expansive and there's more going on, both scripted and real time... With that said, I think they should have lifted the DK polygon model from Jungle Beat along with the fur shading technique, should be certainly doable to do, even if it's use was limited to cutscenes and close-ups.

Jungle Beat... well it certainly has some bad textures in there, that I never noticed before. I assume they were actually placeholders that were left in the game considering (and pointing out) that sometimes you have a good/better leaves texture next to pretty horrible one's.

afaik Jungle Beat doesn't use real fur shading but only some texture transparency trickery

M3d10n

iamaustrian said:
afaik Jungle Beat doesn't use real fur shading but only some texture transparency trickery
That's how every other game does fur shading, even on the PS3 and 360. The only game I ever saw which used a more advanced technique was the PC version of Lost Planet running in DX10 mode, which creates individual fur strands dynamically.

iamaustrian said:
It's "real fur shading" via layered texture shells, that's how every game does it... even CGI a few years ago for sure (although they seem to do real strands of hair lately for humanoid characters, first cgi doing it was spirits within I guess)

Seems like while zoomed out it's more like a transparency effect probably to simulate a anti aliased/fur feel without wasting the resources on it (since with 480p it wouldn't be noticeable, and it isn't, I didn't know it 'till I saw these)... But upclose scenes show real fur shading, no doubt about it.

bridegur

I finally got my new i7 iMac and installed Windows 7 and Dolphin. Is there anything else I'm going to need (as far as drivers go, etc.) before I can get good performance?

EGM92

yes, a real computer :)

What card did you get inside your imac? keep in mind either choice they're both mobile cards and under perform compared to their desktop brothers, infact they don't bench anywhere near. you'll be able to play stuff but don't expect the most pretty thing out there.

bridegur

What card did you get inside your imac? keep in mind either choice they're both mobile cards and under perform compared to their desktop brothers, infact they don't bench anywhere near. you'll be able to play stuff but don't expect the most pretty thing out there.

Radeon HD 5750. Like I said, I'm having no problem with speed, it's just a weird graphic ghosting thing that I imagine can be fixed by changing plugin settings, if someone can help me out.

SOLDIER

I'm having an issue where the Z axis on my nunchuck is reversed (left goes right, vice versa). How do I fix this?

Also, some games simply won't start up (Punch Out, Fragile, Fatal Frame 4). I get a black screen along with cache text on the top left, but that's it.

Nabs

aw man. smash in 1080p with a proper controller (360 pad) is so... good. i just had to increase the dead zone for the c-stick so the game would recognize the inputs properly. feels good.

jediyoshi

r6224 = anaglyph time! break out the red/cyan glasses! still tampering with the settings, a bit of a strain to try and get just right. also looks like it unfortunately forces fraps to display the frame rate counter.

dolphin2010-09-2300-33nfi4.jpg

dolphin2010-09-2300-27ye9f.jpg

Top Bottom