• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Ssseth

Neo Member
I already have one of those tiny cheapies from DX so I guess I'll just try it and if it doesn't have the needed range I'll order a different one. Thanks again folks. Hope to have some time this week to play around and test this out. Some of those games really look great in 1080p!

plufim

trejo said:
It'd be neat to know what sort of sacrifices Factor 5 had to offer to their pagan gods to achieve what they did with that game. Because goddamn.
Of course, then you look at Rebel Strike, which despite being a worse playing game manages to nearly double the amount of shit on screen.

rstrike_081103_x9_640w.jpg

Hell, Rebel Strike was able to run the entire Rogue Leader campaign in split screen.

It's a real pity Factor 5 gambled on Lair. They could have done some amazing shit on the Wii with a next rogue squadron game, but the Wii just wasn't good enough for them, they always wanted the shiniest toys.

Q8D3vil

But I just upgraded to my 275 in... oh shit that was November '09.

I love PC gaming, but sometimes, man. I feel so wasteful upgrading so often.
i played other m with gtx 295 but without the sli so i was using a single 260 and the game played fine (50-60 in miost places ) but without SSAA.

Ssseth

Neo Member
So I'm following the instructions in the OP to set this up. On the section for using a real Wiimote it doesn't mention anything about the wireless sensor bar.

I have a "C2 Tech" wireless sensor bar I bought at Best Buy a few years ago. How to I sync it up to my PC (Windows 7)? I tried turning it on and when I go to discover devices it doesn't come up at all. Is it maybe just not compatible with Windows or am I missing something? Shouldn't it just come up in the list?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just got a 42in G25 Panny plasma for my PC and I tried out Rainbow Road in MKWii and sweet mother of god. It is what I imagine an acid trip would be like. The colors are magnificent. The lines are so crisp with 4xSSAA. The 60 fps feels so tight. GODDAMN.

Ssseth said:
So I'm following the instructions in the OP to set this up. On the section for using a real Wiimote it doesn't mention anything about the wireless sensor bar.

I have a "C2 Tech" wireless sensor bar I bought at Best Buy a few years ago. How to I sync it up to my PC (Windows 7)? I tried turning it on and when I go to discover devices it doesn't come up at all. Is it maybe just not compatible with Windows or am I missing something? Shouldn't it just come up in the list?
The wireless sensor bar doesn't need to be acknowledged by windows. All it is is two LEDs that let the Wiimote know where it is pointing. Just sync your Wiimote and pop your wireless sensor bar in front of your monitor turned on and it should work fine.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Stallion Free said:
I just got a 42in G25 Panny plasma for my PC and I tried out Rainbow Road in MKWii and sweet mother of god. It is what I imagine an acid trip would be like. The colors are magnificent. The lines are so crisp with 4xSSAA. The 60 fps feels so tight. GODDAMN.

The wireless sensor bar doesn't need to be acknowledged by windows. All it is is two LEDs that let the Wiimote know where it is pointing. Just sync your Wiimote and pop your wireless sensor bar in front of your monitor turned on and it should work fine.
I've got a 92" 1080p projector setup I'm going to be using this in. I had the Wii hooked up to it before for a couple weeks but couldn't stand how bad it looked blown up so big. Not when I was used to the Xbox 360 and PS3 on it already. I'm PUMPED to try out some 1080p Wii goodness on the big screen though. Especially after looking at all the screen shots in this thread.

D'oh, totally makes sense why Windows wasn't detecting it then. Thanks once again! So I'm taking it the cord that goes from the wired bar to the Wii is just for power then? I assumed there was some data transfer going on but I guess not.

thuway

Ssseth said:
I've got a 92" 1080p projector setup I'm going to be using this in. I had the Wii hooked up to it before for a couple weeks but couldn't stand how bad it looked blown up so big. Not when I was used to the Xbox 360 and PS3 on it already. I'm PUMPED to try out some 1080p Wii goodness on the big screen though. Especially after looking at all the screen shots in this thread.

D'oh, totally makes sense why Windows wasn't detecting it then. Thanks once again! So I'm taking it the cord that goes from the wired bar to the Wii is just for power then? I assumed there was some data transfer going on but I guess not.

Take plenty of pictures.

I have a 720p HD1000u (I purchased in 2006 alongside my PS3). Since gaming on a size screen that big, I came to the conclusion that -

A) Very few games look good blown up that large (Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix etc.)
B) I should buy a native 1080p projector and see the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size. I'm sure the crispness would have made all the difference.

In any case, post your impressions, I would love to hear it. Once I get out of medschool, I'm definetely looking to take a bite at the newer 1080p offerings and in 3d (who knows).

Ssseth

Neo Member
I'm horrible taking pics, but sure I'll snap a few and post them.

Running into a problem now though. So I'm trying to get my Wiimote synced up tonight. Running Windows 7 Ultimate edition, 32 bit. I bring up the Bluetooth 'Add a device' area, then hit the red sync button on my Wiimote. The device shows up and I try to connect, but get an error. Great.

So I try again this time holding down the red button and I get a little further. When Windows asks me about the pair code, I select not to use one. Success! The device shows up... for about 15-20 seconds, then the Wiimote turns off and I lose the device in Windows. I never get a solid light on the Wiimote, it's always the first two lights blinking. Even after Windows has detected the device. When I press a button on the Wiimote it goes back into the mode where it wants to sync. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've tried it by holding down buttons 1 and 2 at the same time with no luck.

Am I doing something wrong here or do I maybe have an incompatible Bluetooth adapter? It's one of those cheap mini ones from DealExtreme, but it works fine with other devices. I know range isn't an issue because I tried doing the sync really close to the adapter with the same results. Windows 7 just installed the adapter on it's own, I didn't need to select anything. Is there a different driver or something else I should try?

Any suggestions?

Ssseth

Neo Member
After searching the net for the last few hours, finally cracked and tried BlueSoleil. Syncing like a charm now.

One thing I forgot about though, using a projector with the Wiimote and sensor bar is iffy at best (extremely jerky, probably thinks I'm pointing off into mid air when I'm actually trying to point at the screen). I see a IR pointer spot in Dolphin, any details on how to use them to get better IR tracking? I know I can place the sensor closer to me, but that doesn't help with multi player games which is what I was planning on using some of this for as well. Was hoping to have the sensor bar mounted above or below the screen (92").

jediyoshi

Ssseth said:
(extremely jerky, probably thinks I'm pointing off into mid air when I'm actually trying to point at the screen). I see a IR pointer spot in Dolphin, any details on how to use them to get better IR tracking?

Make sure the Sensor Bar Position option in Config -> Wii is set to reflect your setup. There aren't any options to configure/tweak the Wiimote after Dolphin recognizes it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I think I was raving about how gorgeous Mario Kart Wii on my new TV the other day and I played some more this morning and sweet mother of god I can't rave about the experience enough. If you have a decent sized TV, a decent computer, a 360 pad and MKWii, stop whatever you are doing, hook those bitches together and play through a cup in 1080p/4xSSAA with not even a hint of a drop from 60 fps. It is fucking spectacular. The colors are magnificent.

dolphin2010-09-2810-47rp44.jpg

dolphin2010-09-2810-52bqzo.jpg

dolphin2010-09-2811-03eqfc.jpg

dolphin2010-09-2811-03uobf.jpg

Ssseth

Neo Member
^^^Stallion Free, those look spectacular! I'll have to give it a try tonight. Are you using the same settings as on the first page? If not, mind posting your setup? I'm having issues with most games (so far tried SMG2, Zelda and NSMB) running pretty low FPS (15-35) using your settings on the first page (although my version of Dolphin, r6236 x86, the options look different and are in different spots sometimes). Haven't had a chance to tweak yet though, spent most of the night last night fighting with my Wiimote. Fortunately I won though.

Hardware wise I have:
Pentium Dual Core E5200 overclocked running at 3.50 GHz
Radeon 4670, 512 MB GDDR3
2 GB RAM

jediyoshi said:
Make sure the Sensor Bar Position option in Config -> Wii is set to reflect your setup. There aren't any options to configure/tweak the Wiimote after Dolphin recognizes it.
Okay thanks, guess I'll just have to leave the sensor bar closer to me on the coffee table then.

Anyone else with a projector / huge screen setup have any tips?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ssseth said:
So I try again this time holding down the red button and I get a little further. When Windows asks me about the pair code, I select not to use one. Success! The device shows up... for about 15-20 seconds, then the Wiimote turns off and I lose the device in Windows. I never get a solid light on the Wiimote, it's always the first two lights blinking. Even after Windows has detected the device. When I press a button on the Wiimote it goes back into the mode where it wants to sync. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've tried it by holding down buttons 1 and 2 at the same time with no luck.
Like I said, the Windows 7 stack only RECOGNIZES the wiimote, it doesn't do anything with it (it doesn't even report back to the Wiimote to tell it has synced). For that, you need Dolphin. If you have Dolphin up, on the wiimote configuration screen there's a "Pair wiimote" button. Press it and it'll pair up and keep that pairing.

Ssseth

Neo Member
drizzle said:
Like I said, the Windows 7 stack only RECOGNIZES the wiimote, it doesn't do anything with it (it doesn't even report back to the Wiimote to tell it has synced). For that, you need Dolphin. If you have Dolphin up, on the wiimote configuration screen there's a "Pair wiimote" button. Press it and it'll pair up and keep that pairing.
I tried that but it was sporadic at best, I think I got it sycned up properly 2 or 3 times out of 20. It would usually disconnect from Windows before Dolphin would recognize it. Call it user error if you want, but BlueSoleil has worked perfect every time so I'll just stick with that.

Thanks for the response though.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Stallion Free said:
I'm feeling lazy so here is the Dolphin I was using this morning, I think I cleared out my saves properly (OMG you might find out what my first name is). All you will have to do is change the path for where your game rips are.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h14tufll75av3nq
Sweet, I'll give that a try tonight! :D

Edit: x64 version, I'm running 32bit. Oh well. Maybe the config files will still work?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ssseth said:
Edit: x64 version, I'm running 32bit. Oh well. Maybe the config files will still work?
Yeah, copy of the config folder over and in the MKWii properties (right-click) toggle on d-list cache.

Mr Nightman said:
What pc specs you running? would love to give mario kart wii a spin
Q9400 @ 2.66 ghz stock, 5850 1 gb, 4 gb ram.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Shoot. I have all my backups in .wbfs format from the external drive already hooked up to my softmodded Wii. I was planning on using those for Dolphin since they are usually much smaller than the 4+ GB size of an iso. The scrubbed versions save so much space.

Any way to use .wbfs format games or at least convert them to similarly sized files rather than converting to the one huge iso?

Edit: Just figured out I can convert .wbfs to .iso, then load into Dolphin and right click on the game to compress it into a .gcz file. A bit of work, but it'll do.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TestOfTide said:
where's the heat blur in mario kart's sand stage? doesn't function properly I assume?
Yeah depending on settings random shit like that won't render (F-Zero's heatwave does the same). Honestly, I like it better without the heatwave.

I'm playing through Metroid Other M and I've run into a weird semi game breaking bug. There's a room in Section 3 where you have to rocket dash across a divide and if you miss you can wall scale back up a little ways around. Apparently, the camera spins behind the wall and the screen goes completely black and never comes back. I've recreated this twice and I have no idea how to get past it. I'm using Lectrode's latest build.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mikespit1200 said:
I'm playing through Metroid Other M and I've run into a weird semi game breaking bug. There's a room in Section 3 where you have to rocket dash across a divide and if you miss you can wall scale back up a little ways around. Apparently, the camera spins behind the wall and the screen goes completely black and never comes back. I've recreated this twice and I have no idea how to get past it. I'm using Lectrode's latest build.
Don't miss. It happened to me and then I reset the game, started from the previous checkpoint and didn't fuck up so the screen never went black.

Stallion Free said:
Don't miss. It happened to me and then I reset the game, started from the previous checkpoint and didn't fuck up so the screen never went black.

Brute force approach, eh? I'll give it a try thanks :lol

Ssseth

Neo Member
Finally got some games up and running last night. Wow, it looks awesome!

I had to turn off the SSAA and 16x anisotropic though, so I think my graphics card was the bottleneck (Radeon 4670). It would stutter really bad with either of them on but runs fine with them off. It still looks great though at 1080p. I'm really glad I took the time to set this up!

I'll try and post some pics as soon as I get some time.

Ssseth

Neo Member
thuway said:
Take plenty of pictures.

I have a 720p HD1000u (I purchased in 2006 alongside my PS3). Since gaming on a size screen that big, I came to the conclusion that -

A) Very few games look good blown up that large (Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix etc.)
B) I should buy a native 1080p projector and see the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size. I'm sure the crispness would have made all the difference.

In any case, post your impressions, I would love to hear it. Once I get out of medschool, I'm definetely looking to take a bite at the newer 1080p offerings and in 3d (who knows).
Okay, as requested here are some pics. Like I said, I'm not very good at taking them so this is the best I could get. As always with people like me who suck at dark projector pics, these pictures honestly don't do it justice. It's much more crisp. My projector is a Benq W1000 (DLP) by the way.

Oh and as per above I had both SSAA and 16x anisotropic off so it would be a bit more crisp with them on using a video card better than a Radeon 4670. Whatever I'm still happy, it looks a 10 times better than just hooking up a Wii with component to it. :D

First picture is with flash just to show the size of the screen.

dscf0214i.jpg

dscf0216g.jpg

dscf0217s.jpg

dscf0218f.jpg

dscf0219y.jpg

Bonus cookie for whomever can name this hidden pinball gem.

dscf0220j.jpg

dscf0221y.jpg

Ssseth

Neo Member
The lack of crispness was bothering me, so I thought I'd take some in game FRAPS shots. Only had time to do the pinball one tonight, so here they are for comparison to above which was taken with a camera.

(again, this is with SSAA and 16x anisotropic OFF, so if you have anything better than a Radeon 4670 / Core 2 Duo @ 3.5 GHz you might get better quality than this)

dolphin2010092923212153.jpg

dolphin2010092923222904.jpg

Ssseth said:
Edit: Just figured out I can convert .wbfs to .iso, then load into Dolphin and right click on the game to compress it into a .gcz file. A bit of work, but it'll do.
If you have an NTFS hard drive you can set individual folders to compress their file contents. This will cut the ISO filesizes down nicely.
Example said:
RSFP99_MURAMASA_THE_DEMON_BLADE.iso
Size: 4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes)
Size on Disk: 856 MB (897,814,528 bytes)

A general question for users in the thread: with all these different revisions of Dolphin and you wanting to keep old ones around for certain games, how do you manage the directories for like savegames? The only plausible thing I can come up with is symbolic links, unless I missed some obvious way of changing the path of the user/wii directory.

jediyoshi

Starwolf_UK said:
A general question for users in the thread: with all these different revisions of Dolphin and you wanting to keep old ones around for certain games, how do you manage the directories for like savegames? The only plausible thing I can come up with is symbolic links, unless I missed some obvious way of changing the path of the user/wii directory.

Save games only save within the build's User\Wii\title folder, so if you're keeping an old build specifically for a game, there won't be a conflict between revisions you switch between.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Anyone know how to use two or more Wiimotes?

BlueSoleil shows both connected, but I can't seem to get Dolphin to recognize both at the same time. Is that not supported or am I doing it wrong?

jediyoshi

Ssseth said:
Anyone know how to use two or more Wiimotes?

BlueSoleil shows both connected, but I can't seem to get Dolphin to recognize both at the same time. Is that not supported or am I doing it wrong?

Make sure under the Wiimote 1 and 2 tab you have Real Wiimote selected under the Input Source.

If the game has one of these types of screens that prompt to add extra controllers, make sure to go through Tools > Connect Wiimote 2 (etc) while it's there.

dolphin2010-09-0808-33rnlh.jpg

MYE

I've always said it, Mario Kart Wii is a beautiful game, emulated or not.

Its probably the game that holds up the best on my HDTV and most Wii games i have look great on it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MYE said:
I've always said it, Mario Kart Wii is a beautiful game, emulated or not.

Its probably the game that holds up the best on my HDTV and most Wii games i have look great on it.
Yeah, but you are lying/have never played on your TV in 1080p if you think the the Wii-visuals are comparable.

Edit: Oh snap, you tried to troll earlier by hating on the 360 pad being used in place of a GC pad. This is cute.

Jethro

I would like to see some pictures from Prince of Persia-The Forgotton Sands. Playing it right know, and it's looking gorgeous even in SD. Really a Gem this game.

jediyoshi said:
Save games only save within the build's User\Wii\title folder, so if you're keeping an old build specifically for a game, there won't be a conflict between revisions you switch between.
So do I extract a new bulid in the same path as the old one and rename the old executable? Would that a cause possible conflicts due to plugins and other things changing?

I want to only have one /user/wii directory to make organisation and management of saves as easy as possible.

Nabs

Make a new folder for each build. Feel free to cut and paste User/Wii to the new folder if you're trying to save space.

OK, so I recently put together a new computer for myself. It's got an 3.0GHz Athlon quad core processor, a Radeon 5770, and 4 GB of RAM.

I've tried running Dolphin x64 on the recommended settings for both Mario Galaxy and F-Zero GX, but when I actually get into gameplay (the menus seem to work fine!) the games run at slow motion. I've tried lowering the resolution but that didn't appear to do anything.

Do I just not have enough power in my computer to run these games well, or is there something I can do to fix this?

Re performance: This page is a good place to start. I also found Use DList Caching can also help but it also breaks some games.

Maybe disabling some advanced effects and rendering at a lower resolution as well (so say, 720p rather than 1080p). I've not tried either game in Dolphin so cannot help much despite having a similar set-up.

jediyoshi

Starwolf_UK said:
I want to only have one /user/wii directory to make organisation and management of saves as easy as possible.

Since you're keeping a specific older build just to play one game, management isn't exactly an issue. If you ever want to bring that save over to a current revision, exporting is just right clicking the game on the list and using the export feature.

Red

SOLDIER said:
Sorry for the late reply. Disable the Twilight Princess bloom hack if you have it enabled. It reverses the horizontal axis because it literally mirrors the game (makes Link left-handed instead of right-handed, as he should be; essentially it becomes the Gamecube version of the game). It isn't needed anymore to run the game.

If that doesn't solve your problem, I'm not sure what else you can do :(

bridegur

I can't get Mario Galaxy 2 or Smash Bros. Brawl to start. Galaxy just shows a black screen, while Brawl gets past the warning screen and stalls in whiteness. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

If anyone is still taking requests, I'd like to see what Donkey Kong Barrel Blast looks like. Also more Kart would be great. I love those colorful, bright games.

Hieberrr

Holy crap these screens are beautiful. Makes me want to take my wii gaming to my PC, but sadly my PC is 32bit system that can never get a constant 60 or even 30 ={

XPS420 FTL :|

Top Bottom