• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

Tim-E said:
PC Gamer just posted on their twitter feed that theyhave an interview with GOG people that will go up this Thursday and it mentions that we shouldn't panic.

lol
New business model incoming.

itxaka

Defeatist
MmmSkyscraper said:
ZOMG, visible mouse is for casuals!

I've no idea if it works on mine, bought it last Xmas and haven't played it yet.

The game doesn't have a mouse in-game, but on the menus it should have. Seems that on some resolutions (random ones) it dissapears just becasue. So you can't even select the freaking menus. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Polish dance party? Overblown epic trance and really hot Polish women? Sounds like my kinda thing... :D :D :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Tim-E said:
PC Gamer just posted on their twitter feed that theyhave an interview with GOG people that will go up this Thursday and it mentions that we shouldn't panic.

lol
Fuck yes. Dick move for sure, but it's much better than GoG closing.

turnbuckle

I never knew what GOG was. Sounds like I really missed out :(

---

Or if they're reopening, then this whole thing effectively found them at least one future customer. :D (just saw the update)

Musiol

As we already know, GOG.com will continue to operate. It means that it's current users should not worry about their games. This whole mess is just a marketing stunt aimed to create buzz in the media before press conference scheduled for Wednesday.

That being said, we managed to contact our anonymous source close to the GOG staff. What we learned is that service is going to be bought by one of it's rivals - Steam, to be precise. Please keep in mind that it's not an official announcement and we advise you to take this information with a grain of salt.

That being said, we must take note, that for some time Steam tried to get into the market of retro games, but it's prices weren't too approachable. Especially for European users who are forced to make their purchases using euro. Secondly - what will happen to "DRM-free" policy after the supposed merger? GOG says on it's website, that the idea behind service will remain unchanged. Does it mean that despite purchase, both services will remain separated?

http://www.gram.pl/news_8QjrH,m6_GOG_wykupiony_przez_konkurencje.html

Rumours about Steam and GoG.com become reality?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
krakusy_lublin2.JPG

Musiol

Tim-E said:
Until I see this somewhere that isn't an "anonymous source" on a Polish website, I am not going to believe it.

I would be fine if this happened, though. Migrating my GOG games to my Steam account would make bonerz.
gram.pl was part of CD Projekt some time ago but then they disconnected with each other. But a lot of people have contacts in CDP, GOG and other CDP divisions. So they're really good source of news from CD Projekt camp.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I would be disappointed if GOG went to Steam. As much as I like Steam, I really do not want Valve to take over the DD world and GOG had a nice niche. I really liked the GOG storefront and DRM free games, but if I could add my GOG games to my Steam library that would be a decent consolation.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm slow to become optimistic here. That twitter post lamenting the troubles of arranging DRM-free deals with publishers is just classic foreshadowing. Some things might be objectively better, but some things are absolutely going to change for the worse.

However, a deal where Valve buys Gog and more-or-less leaves it alone, while using its influence to negotiate deals with Publishers is probably the best, if totally implausible, outcome at this point.

kodt

Banned
I would hope at the least that their existing catalog would be remain available as DRM free. If this is marketing, I can see it working as I would be tempted to buy everything I want for fear that it won't be available in the future.

Tim-E

Musiol said:
gram.pl was part of CD Projekt some time ago but then they disconnected with each other. But a lot of people have contacts in CDP, GOG and other CDP divisions. So they're really good source of news from CD Projekt camp.

You're right, I just looked it up.

Makes this more interesting, definitely.

CTLance

Whu.....? Noooooooooooooooooooo! I just learned about this. Someone slap me, this has got to be some sort of nightmare. Fuck.

That does it, I'm moving to Mars. Earth is lost to me.

I'd love it if Valve could get some more older games that won't run well (or at all) on Windows 7 for the service if they have been merged. I really don't like buying PC games if I can't have them in my Steam collection these days, either, and I don't mind Steam DRM at all.

Win situation if true.

Musiol

Cdammen said:
Fuck! I wanted to download my copy of FreeSpace 2 tonight :(
Yeah, I got code to download Outcast and now I'm totally f*cked with this. <desperate man> I want my Outcast goddammit!</desperate man>

Safe Bet

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
the hell are you talking about? nc fucking failed. you're on a pc. your steam games are stored on your harddrive
Who the fuck stores their library on a hardrive?

STEAM does that for me.

water_wendi said:
i think the point was that if Steam were the company doing this the effect would be exactly the same.
I very seriously doubt it but if they did close shop I'd hope a class-action lawyer would attempt to seize all past/future company assets to ensure continued customer access to games purchased.

ToS are not ironclad.

Companies should not be allowed to "name change" in order to escape promises made.

Valve promised I can download my games as many times I wish for as long as I wish.

As long as an entity named "Valve" exists that promise should be upheld.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Safe Bet said:
Who the fuck stores their library on a hardrive?

STEAM does that for me.
I have every single Steam game I own installed. Comes out to a little over 1 TB. It's nice being able to boot up whatever I game the mood strikes me to play instantly.

nexen

Stallion Free said:
I have every single Steam game I own installed. Comes out to a little over 1 TB. It's nice being able to boot up whatever I game the mood strikes me to play instantly.
Same, although mine is about 200mb shy of a TB now.

Safe Bet said:
I very seriously doubt it but if they did close shop I'd hope a class-action lawyer would attempt to seize all past/future company assets to ensure continued customer access to games purchased.
Not a very safe bet.
I'm so sorry.

Safe Bet said:
Valve promised I can download my games as many times I wish for as long as I wish.

I'm not sure I've ever seen such a promise. I've seen this:

Steam said:
In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

Maybe I'm just a cynic but I read "may, but is not obligated to" as "is extremely unlikely to". There isn't much call to cater to customer goodwill if the ship is sinking beneath the waves.

Safe Bet

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It's nice being able to boot up whatever I game the mood strikes me to play instantly.
I agree having your games one click away is nice and I might store mine locally too if I had more storage options but I don't so I let STEAM do it for me.

There's a reason "online back-up" is popular and imo is one of the main appeals of STEAM.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Safe Bet said:

ToS are not ironclad.

Companies should not be allowed to "name change" in order to escape promises made.

Where does it even say that in the TOS? i read through the TOS but may have missed it since legalese makes me dizzy :lol The only reference i can find is a quote of someone that emailed Gabe like 6 years ago and he states that he isnt sure what would happen but that removing the authenticator from games is easy. So you have an implied gentlemans agreement. i dont see you getting far with a lawsuit for an eternal game storage network.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I prefer to have as few games as possible installed because I have a bit of OCD and will feel compelled to play everything on my list.

FLEABttn

Banned
The more Steam games installed, the longer my defrags take. If I'm not playing it now or soon, I let me games live in the Steam servers.

Lafazar

Argh, I don't know what to believe anymore. German gaming magazine Gamestar have a statement by Lukasz Kukawski of CD Projekt:

Article:
http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermischtes/2317952/spiele_shop_good_old_games.html

Google Translation:
http://translate.google.com/transla...chtes/2317952/spiele_shop_good_old_games.html

We can now calm you down: As told by Lukasz Kukawski of CD Projekt, Gog.com is not closed. Rather, the message on the homepage of the download service is a publicity stunt. Gog.com will soon celebrate its second anniversary. As a birthday surprise CD project would like to surprise with a new website and special deals. To prepare this Gog.com must be switched off for a few days.

I'm not laughing...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Archie said:
I prefer to have as few games as possible installed because I have a bit of OCD and will feel compelled to play everything on my list.
I was doing that for a while in hopes that it would keep me focused on finishing games, but I couldn't push my desire to fuck around for a couple minutes in random games all the time.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The funny thing is, all they have to do is offer some game for free and, for most people, everything will be forgiven.

Gamers are easily bought out.

Mareg

FLEABttn said:
The more Steam games installed, the longer my defrags take. If I'm not playing it now or soon, I let me games live in the Steam servers.

That is also the main reason I keep as little as possible on my drive. I am a defrag mad man. Everytime there is a sensible amount of data being written to my gaming partition, you can be certain there is a defrag following.

Now what interest me is the backup/restore solution that comes with steam. All my steam games have been backuped to an external drive using the steam backup scheme. Suppose Steam would go under, I'm pretty sure there would be no way I could restore those games... :( Unless the company decide to release some sort of restoring application so I could do it outside of Steam.
Somewhat, after reading this thread and the situation with GoG, I feel a little less "safe" about the whole DD. I probably have a couple of grand worth of money invested in Steam. Loosing it all would probably induce some form of seppuku :lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Damn i'm so confused right now, is this whole thing a PR stunt? is Valve buying Gog? Are they really shutting down? I...

2r6pq8y.jpg

Draft

If this is a PR stunt, it's a really bad one. I don't think any amount of publicity is worth eroding your customers trust that your business is, you know, solvent. Especially when you're a service based business.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
subversus said:
they're not greedy (no money from torrents), they're just stupid.
I woudln't even say stupid, just very very cheap. Yet irronically enough, a pirate can be the best of critics since only time comes into play, not the cost of entry. Still annoys me when I see reviews that say "Well, this game would be worth $20." No no Mr. Reviewer I will no longer being the reviews to, its not so much the cost that matters, its if its worth my time.

But enough of that tangent. They will defently get a mob of hate if from the internet if this turns out to be a PR stunt.

nexen

I AM JOHN! said:
This is a really stupid publicity stunt.
This. DD lives or dies on customer trust.

Shutting down your service without even providing a warning or download links is beyond stupid.

Also not having local backups of DD software you paid for is not the best idea either, if you care at all about retaining access to it. You dont have to keep it on your HDD but burn it off to CD or something at least.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FLEABttn said:
Auslogic Disk Defrag. Amazing free program, keeps my game drive nice and defragmented. Run it about once a week and it takes less than 3 minutes on average.

FLEABttn

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Auslogic Disk Defrag. Amazing free program, keeps my game drive nice and defragmented. Run it about once a week and it takes less than 3 minutes on average.

PerfectDisk, defrags files based on use. Steam/Windows sticks a file in between a couple other files and I'm moving out gigs because of it. Other defragmenters are free but aren't as good.

Seems yours maybe does the same, I'll look at it, but I'm not expecting any different tbh.

CTLance

If this was a fully intentional and ultimately avoidable storm in a teacup I'm gonna seriously reconsider being a loyal customer. There are some things you just don't do as a DD provider or generally as a company.
Put up a note about technical problems or "big things happening behind the scenes" and I'll grumble and accept the downtime. Put up an ambiguously-worded letter like that and I'll cough up blood and bile in between seizures. It's like being kicked in the bazongas for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom