• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WEGGLES

PantherAttacks said:
So no DRM = you lose your games after a couple of years?

That's sad. :/
It means you don't loose your game at all. Ever. Unless your hard drive bites the dust, the service went down and you didn't keep a backup.

durendal

Damn. I was planning on buying Beyond Good and Evil from them.

If they return with DRM, I won't be using their new service. I don't buy from Direct 2 Drive for this reason, and I don't see how adding DRM will improve sales.

durendal said:

If they return with DRM, I won't be using their new service. I don't buy from Direct 2 Drive for this reason, and I don't see how adding DRM will improve sales.

By allowing them to offer games which wouldn't be available otherwise because the IP holders don't believe in selling things DRM free.

durendal

jim-jam bongs said:
By allowing them to offer games which wouldn't be available otherwise because the IP holders don't believe in selling things DRM free.

The only advantage GoG had over the competition was the DRM-free games. Why would I buy from GoG over Steam or D2D if they all have DRM? Most of the big games GoG could offer are already on Steam or D2D with DRM anyways, minus a few classics that aren't up yet.

John

durendal said:
If they return with DRM, I won't be using their new service. I don't buy from Direct 2 Drive for this reason
so i'm guessing you don't buy from steam then? or any dd service?

Dragmire

Safe Bet said:
The only reason I buy games on STEAM is because they store my library for me.

I have no use for a "you must transfer your purchase to some form of physical media" provider.

If I want physical media, I'll buy physical media.
Uh, that doesn't make sense. GOG 'stored your games for you' exactly the same way Steam does. In an account on their service. Except Steam forces you to use a client and DRM. And you still have to transfer your purchases to a physical medium if you want to keep them forever/play them.

@ Conspiracy theorists, I doubt it's as simple as their marketing team trying to dupe you. I'm sure they're either going through some uncertain shit or trying to figure out how to function under a new owner. I just hope they come back. I imagine it's not easy having a DRM free service.

Aaron

Victrix said:
Biggest revelation in this thread: People who buy games and don't even download them

Truly we have reached a new age. We've upgraded from games in the shrinkwrap sitting on a shelf to bits sitting on a server, not downloaded.
I almost always download a game after buying it, unless it's a pack then I get the first of the series. Though if I'm currently playing a game, I might play it for only a bit before deleting it, and planning to re-download it when I have time for it. I don't like filling up my hard drive or burning games to disc.

Victrix said:
Biggest revelation in this thread: People who buy games and don't even download them

Truly we have reached a new age. We've upgraded from games in the shrinkwrap sitting on a shelf to bits sitting on a server, not downloaded.

How is it different from not having every game you own installed at one time?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
durendal said:

Or just buy from Impulse- which after you DL it, there is no DRM there.

I really seriously doubt DRM is the issue here, otherwise Impulse and GG would be in the same boat.

If GOG went to DRM, there would be little point to the service anymore - especially since most of the games they offered no DRM are no DRM on Impulse/GG.

durendal said:
The only advantage GoG had over the competition was the DRM-free games. Why would I buy from GoG over Steam or D2D if they all have DRM? Most of the big games GoG could offer are already on Steam or D2D with DRM anyways, minus a few classics that aren't up yet.
They also had a focus on old games, many of which aren't being offered on other services. If they could get access to even more titles that aren't being offered elsewhere but had to put in DRM to do so, they would go from selling zero copies of those games to some copies. I liked the DRM free situation too, but it doesn't surprise me that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for it.

durendal said:

GOG also emphasized the trouble they went to to ensure compatibility with XP and Vista systems. I don't know how successful they were overall but Steam doesn't make any attempt at quality control in that regard; they put that responsibility on the publisher. I think the version of Jedi Knight on Steam is the raw installation of the original Windows 95 game which doesn't play nice with modern hardware.

Not to mention the goodies (soundtrack, wallpapers, hint guides) they included. Just saying they had other perks. But if they return with DRM I'll probably stay away too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Victrix said:

This is funny, because the whole POINT of digital distribution is that if you're between computers, you can feel safe that whatever company you've purchased from will keep your games a couple clicks away. I sold my imac and built a new pc, but didn't get around to re-downloading my Tex Murphy games because I knew they were there whenever I needed it. This little episode definitely makes me think differently about it, though.

Bebpo

Banned
Victrix said:

What's wrong with that?

I buy games during sales that I know I want to play eventually so that I don't have to pay higher prices to buy them later on when I have time. Then they just sit until I have that time years later.

I have like 300-400 steam games and only keep maybe 10 installed at any given time, which is basically my "active backlog" and all the undownloaded ones are traditional backlog.

Lafazar

There is the possibility that this is a marketing stunt to announce their move from Beta:

Polish site with a statement by Michael Kicinski:
http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,107162,8397342,GOG_sie_zamyka__Raczej_nie.html

Gogle Translation:
Note, the date of the conference is probably 22gi early Wednesday evening. Information about this soon on GOG.com (please do not panic after reading the information contained there:). Please remember that this conference on-line, first organized in such a way:)

Virtually closed the calendar of conferences and we will send an official info about this in the Mon-Tues
http://translate.google.com/transla...97342,GOG_sie_zamyka__Raczej_nie.html&act=url

Neoseeker with a statement by Tom Ohle:
As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions :)
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14926-digital-pc-classics-service-good-old-games-closes/

I dunno how I feel about this, it's certainly a good way to get talked about, but I nearly got a heart attack when I saw the GOG main page.

Gee, I really hope this is a marketing stunt, but if it is, it's very cruel!

DeadTrees

faceless007 said:
How is it different from not having every game you own installed at one time?
GOG's downtime has kind of answered that question. If you download immediately after you pay, you don't have to worry about any future connectivity issues (on your end or theirs) to install or play your game.

itxaka

Defeatist
faceless007 said:
GOG also emphasized the trouble they went to to ensure compatibility with XP and Vista systems. I don't know how successful they were overall but Steam doesn't make any attempt at quality control in that regard; they put that responsibility on the publisher. I think the version of Jedi Knight on Steam is the raw installation of the original Windows 95 game which doesn't play nice with modern hardware.

Not to mention the goodies (soundtrack, wallpapers, hint guides) they included. Just saying they had other perks. But if they return with DRM I'll probably stay away too.
Yep. They went out of the way to be sure of the compatibily unlike steam

I am still unable to play jade empire. On my other pc there is no mouse visible. This was like throwing 10€ into a bin

That is my main reason to buy games from them. They aré well tested instead of dumped.

Sew

Lafazar said:
There is the possibility that this is a marketing stunt to announce their move from Beta:

Polish site with a statement by Michael Kicinski:
http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,107162,8397342,GOG_sie_zamyka__Raczej_nie.html

Gogle Translation:

http://translate.google.com/transla...97342,GOG_sie_zamyka__Raczej_nie.html&act=url

Neoseeker with a statement by Tom Ohle:

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14926-digital-pc-classics-service-good-old-games-closes/

I dunno how I feel about this, it's certainly a good way to get talked about, but I nearly got a heart attack when I saw the GOG main page.

Gee, I really hope this is a marketing stunt, but if it is, it's very cruel!
Heh, don't jump to conclusions they say. I'm not sure how one should otherwise react to "We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await."

If this is indeed a stunt, I will go from loving them dearly to not caring much for them at all.

Dragmire

Omg, stop being butthurt when no one even knows what's going on. I highly doubt this is a grand ruse to fool you all. It could be a crappy solution to a crappy situation. I don't think they're doing it for fun.

b.e.r.g

:(

A sad sad day for gaming. No room for DRM free, honest, oldschool quality gaming anymore... Greed, greed from publishers and greedy pirates is all that's left :(

Lafazar

Dragmire said:
Omg, stop being butthurt when no one even knows what's going on. I highly doubt this is a grand ruse to fool you all. It could be a crappy solution to a crappy situation. I don't think they're doing it for fun.
Yes, it really doesn't make sense if you think about it. They had a weekend promo going which was interrupted. This is a strong indicator of outside influence.

I only now read the discussion a few pages back about a takeover of their previous owner's shares. A new owner implementing new rules could indeed be the cause for this. We'll see on Wednesday. I really hope they do not implement DRM...

Stop It said:
This'll be my last post here as frankly, you guys are all obsessed with the idea of this being a stunt that you can't see how fucked up this situation really is.

http://www.bankier.pl/inwestowanie/profile/quote.html?symbol=OPTIMUS&format=detailed

I'll post this again, as the trading value (Market Cap) has been ignored (even by me) up until now. According to this, Optimus (Who own CDP I can say with utmost certainty now), have a market value of less than $6million. Even with the recent lift in their share price this company is utterly worthless. The reason? Before they bought CDP, Optimus racked up some serious debt, and took on even more to buy CDP, this has left them in a major hole financially.

As stated above, last week Optimus sold 3.5million shares and has tried to re-jig the company to transfer their debt to something less unstable, this has triggered an EGM (For this Wednesday) which on it's own, would be unexciting. However, someone appears to have bought all the shares in one block and are using their new power to force Optimus to change their company strategy. This investor is at the moment, unknown but will be revealed at the company EGM.

My opinion is that this mystery investor has called for GOG to be totally changed, possibly to have DRM introduced and to change their business model completely.
This leads me to believe the investor is a publisher, but I am not sure who, but there are signs that MAY be pointing to Atari SA, CD Projekt's long term publisher partner in Europe.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23420772&postcount=385

The following twitter post indeed seems to point to this direction:
Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy :(
http://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/24772660481

mclem

hamchan said:
Fuck them if this is a publicity stunt.

I doubt it's a pure publicity stunt. My hunch is that this is a necessity to bring on some sort of change, and possibly they can't talk about it just yet for legal reasons. So yeah, an, uh, legality stunt.

But that's just a hunch. We need answers!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
You know, GOG would be quite a fit for Steam. I mean, they could partner up, sell their games through Steam, share the 30% and shit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wmat said:
You know, GOG would be quite a fit for Steam. I mean, they could partner up, sell their games through Steam, share the 30% and shit.
How would that be profitable? They'd have to pay royalties to both Valve and the IP holders of the games they're selling.

Lafazar

trinest said:
Just cause I said DD was the future :lol
Well, I think you are right with that. I had just hoped, that DRM-free DD would be the future.

It would be really sad if GOG were to change to a DRM-only business model... :(

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Easy_D said:
How would that be profitable? They'd have to pay royalties to both Valve and the IP holders of the games they're selling.
I'm thinking of an actual partnership, where royalties and profits are both split. Or more elaborately, determine the percentage of royalties by profit per shop. So GOG sells at its homepage and via Steam; a sale at homebase means royalty *1, a sale at Steam means royalty *.5 per unit for GOG. For Valve, it means royalty *0 for GOG-homebase sales, royalty *.5 per unit for Steam sales. (This isn't an actual model, of course, just some numbers)

The point being that GOG and Valve would benefit from each other. GOG gets customers, Valve gets the library.

The digital distribution world generally needs partnerships more to distribute benefits from all parties. Sure, Valve has the most benefits to distribute with Steam being widely accepted and all. But then again, they gain something valuable: oldschool PC titles in the above example, for instance. And the associated profit is also pretty cool.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
itxaka said:
I am still unable to play jade empire. On my other pc there is no mouse visible. This was like throwing 10€ into a bin

ZOMG, visible mouse is for casuals!

I've no idea if it works on mine, bought it last Xmas and haven't played it yet.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lafazar said:
Well, I think you are right with that. I had just hoped, that DRM-free DD would be the future.

It would be really sad if GOG were to change to a DRM-only business model... :(

There's still Impulse and Gamersgate. Also, there are plenty of indy developerrs who refuse to use DRM. I'm not that worried about this in the grand scheme of things.

GOG really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. I liked them, but there were other, and usually cheaper options.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
arstal said:
There's still Impulse and Gamersgate. Also, there are plenty of indy developerrs who refuse to use DRM.

GOG really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. I liked them, but there were other, and usually cheaper options.
Not for the same catalogue, porting awesomeness, generally stable prices etc

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
wmat said:
Not for the same catalogue, porting awesomeness, generally stable prices etc

True on some really old games. Most of the popular GOG games have Impulse or Gamersgate version, often both.

Porting - I think it's the same on all of them.

Stable Prices- they usually matched GOG- then had sales on occasion.

Outside of the catalog issue, I don't see what you're complaining about, and catalog could be fixed.

Lafazar

arstal said:
There's still Impulse and Gamersgate. Also, there are plenty of indy developerrs who refuse to use DRM. I'm not that worried about this in the grand scheme of things.

That's not true. They were important because they promoted DD without DRM, something no one else did (talking about publishers here)!
And they revived old and really old games and kept them accessible, playable and relevant and thus prevented them from digital oblivion. Okay, maybe that's a bit dramatic, but it's also something no one else did!

There were a LOT of games on GOG that you will find on no other DD platform, because no one but GOG went through the trouble of chasing after the rights holders and acquiring the rights. And after GOG is gone, no one will go after these games anymore!

This is a fucking shame. Preservation of gaming culture just took a huge step backwards! (Okay, I like being overdramatic here, but I hope you get my point...)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
arstal said:
True on some really old games. Most of the popular GOG games have Impulse or Gamersgate version, often both.

Porting - I think it's the same on all of them.

Stable Prices- they usually matched GOG- then had sales on occasion.

Outside of the catalog issue, I don't see what you're complaining about, and catalog could be fixed.
I'm not actually complaining about anything.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sew said:
If this is indeed a stunt, I will go from loving them dearly to not caring much for them at all.

This is nothing compared to the 'Peter Steele is dead' stunt Type O Negative pulled a few years ago. And then he went off and died for real earlier this year :(

Tim-E

PC Gamer just posted on their twitter feed that theyhave an interview with GOG people that will go up this Thursday and it mentions that we shouldn't panic.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom