• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musiol

Drkirby said:
The Polish have the worlds worse PR?
As a Pole I could only say one thing: You're damn right. It's sometimes really embarassing. (but no more than Sadness on Wii :lol )

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
This is really a shitty PR stunt. It's like the gaffer who pretended like his GF went missing.
Oh it's just a joke, let's work everyone and then say it's a big joke.

I've always been one of the more supportive people here for GoG. Even though I own less titles then I do I steam, It's always been my choice. But this really soured me. Simple fact I can't access anything I bought right now is bullshit... all for a big PR stunt.

shintoki said:
This is really a shitty PR stunt. It's like the gaffer who pretended like his GF went missing.
Oh it's just a joke, let's work everyone and then say it's a big joke.

I've always been one of the more supportive people here for GoG. Even though I own less titles then I do I steam, It's always been my choice. But this really soured me. Simple fact I can't access anything I bought right now is bullshit... all for a big PR stunt.

Yea, saying his girlfriend is missing and her sister is dead, same thing as GoG saying its closing shop. TOTALLY the same thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So they relaunch with System Shock 1/2, Thief 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2, and Planescape: Torment headlining the return.

I think this whole mess could be forgiven.

Stallion Free said:
So they relaunch with System Shock 1/2, Thief 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2, and Planescape: Torment headlining the return.

What would be awesome is IF Valve were to buy them (IF IF IF), allow the customers the option of registering the games via Steam or not to.

LovingSteam said:
What would be awesome is IF Valve were to buy them (IF IF IF), allow the customers the option of registering the games via Steam or not to.

Vale buying them would be one of the worst scenarios possible.

Stallion Free said:

Psh.

The Last Express. Dying to play it again, can't even get the installer to work with Windows 7.

LovingSteam said:
I hope not. Steam might be the most awesome thing ever, but competition is good. Having one less competitor is bad.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
Psh.

The Last Express. Dying to play it again, can't even get the installer to work with Windows 7.
I am fantasizing about Rogue Squadron 3D releasing because that installer doesn't work on 64-bit OSes

brain_stew said:
Vale buying them would be one of the worst scenarios possible.
I said IF Valvebought them it would be awesome to let people choose to register or not register the games. I'd prefer Valve not buy them but I'd also like the option to register some of the games on Steam.

hamchan

Lothars said:
Corrected for accuracy.
No. As much as I love Steam I also realize competition is good for us consumers. If Valve gains a monopoly they have less incentive to do crazy sales or provide extra features.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wouldn't mind if Valve bought them and had devs run older games through them before releasing them on Steam while maintaining the bonus content that GOG includes as well as Steam Cloud/Achievements.

Lafazar

Lafazar said:
Argh, I don't know what to believe anymore. German gaming magazine Gamestar have a statement by Lukasz Kukawski of CD Projekt:

Article:
http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermischtes/2317952/spiele_shop_good_old_games.html

Google Translation:
http://translate.google.com/transla...chtes/2317952/spiele_shop_good_old_games.html

I'm not laughing...

What is going on? The news article seems to have been deleted!

Sehr geehrter Besucher, die von Ihnen angeforderte Seite ist leider nicht mehr verfügbar.
Dear visitor, the requested page is unfortunately not available anymore.

Was it taken down because it contained wrong information, or was it because GOG team wanted it taken down to keep the prank alive? What is going on here?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
hamchan said:
No. As much as I love Steam I also realize competition is good for us consumers. If Valve gains a monopoly they have less incentive to do crazy sales or provide extra features.

It's good for developers as well. Hell, it's just all around a good idea to not have Valve be the de facto gatekeepers for determining whether a game is successful on the PC or not.

Instro

hamchan said:

Beyond being DD services Steam and GOG are not really competitors though are they. They sell to completley different markets, GOG being exclusively for retro games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Instro said:
Beyond being DD services Steam and GOG are not really competitors though are they. They sell to completley different markets, GOG being exclusively for retro games.
Yep, everything I buy from GOG can't be bought on Steam so Steam isn't losing out on money they could have gotten there.

Corto

Stallion Free said:

Hush my heart, be still...

Instro said:

GOG had some games that couldn't really be considered retro/good old games... Syberia comes to mind, and there were a few more.

Mimir

Instro said:
There is some overlap. Steam has tried to sell a few older titles (such as the first two Fallout games for $10 a piece). GoG.com has also released a few newer titles, like King's Bounty: The Legend. If a game is available on both services, I always bought the GoG.com version.

Lafazar

Aha, they made an update:

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.
http://www.gog.com/

If this is a prank they must have realized it was beginning to backfire badly.

mclem

It does fit with my suspicion from earlier (that it was a legal manoever), but it's still quite possible they're hastily backtracking and making up whatever they can.

I'm liking the reassurance that the upcoming download solution will remain DRM-free and still have the bonus gubbins.

Instro

Mimir said:
There is some overlap. Steam has tried to sell a few older titles (such as the first two Fallout games for $10 a piece). GoG.com has also released a few newer titles, like King's Bounty: The Legend. If a game is available on both services, I always bought the GoG.com version.

True, but the overlap is pretty negligible. In any case, at this point I think it would be preferable for Steam or D2D to take on all the retro games GOG had, versus offering them through some bare bones service for people just to re-download the games they bought. After all the time and effort put in to getting these games and making them usable on current systems, it would be a complete waste for them not to be offered through some other DD service(assuming GOG is dead).

Also if this turns out to be some stupid pr stunt of some kind, these guys are morons and I would never buy anything from them again. The whole way this has been handled is kind of ridiculous, there wasn't even any warning given to customers before they shut down their site.

CTLance

Will be eagerly waiting for an explanation. At least we now have an indication that gog may live on in some way. Still, his majesty is NOT amused.

Dennis

Banned
Worst prank ever

"Haha, our DD service is dead.....no, just kidding.....hahaha"

Consumer confidence in your ability to run a service. It matters.

wmat said:
Some PR guy is gonna have a couple of talks with the higher-ups real soon.
:lol probably the boss IS the PR guy. They gotta be a small outfit.

CTLance

wmat said:
Some PR guy is gonna have a couple of talks with the higher-ups real soon.
I hope he'll be using a megaphone and a loaded shotgun. My heart won't survive another legal/public stunt.

Just to chime in although I know it's a bit late. One more feature that GOG has that Steam and D2D don't: all games are region-free. You guys have no idea how frustrating it is to hear about an awesome game/promo, log in to Steam or D2D, then find out that I can't waste my money on it because I live in a shoddier place in this planet.

Boonoo

rikitikitik said:
Just to chime in although I know it's a bit late. One more feature that GOG has that Steam and D2D don't: all games are region-free. You guys have no idea how frustrating it is to hear about an awesome game/promo, log in to Steam or D2D, then find out that I can't waste my money on it because I live in a shoddier place in this planet.

That's really up to the publishers rather than Steam; although I suppose Valve could fight harder for it. Regardless, it's pretty easy to have someone from a different region buy and gift it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
charlequin said:
Are there really that many smart publicity stunts?
Valve giving Portal Away for free for a week most likely won't invoke that much collective rage. If GOG declares this a publicity stunt, you are going to have people saying for years they are never buying anther game of there's, 4chan most likely will try to do some sort of DoS attack on them, the works.

Minsc

Gold Member
Instro said:
True, but the overlap is pretty negligible. In any case, at this point I think it would be preferable for Steam or D2D to take on all the retro games GOG had, versus offering them through some bare bones service for people just to re-download the games they bought. After all the time and effort put in to getting these games and making them usable on current systems, it would be a complete waste for them not to be offered through some other DD service(assuming GOG is dead).

Also if this turns out to be some stupid pr stunt of some kind, these guys are morons and I would never buy anything from them again. The whole way this has been handled is kind of ridiculous, there wasn't even any warning given to customers before they shut down their site.

In a way though, this happening only enforces to me that I should buy stuff from them (so long as it continues to be DRM-free), even though I despise the way this was handled.

All my purchases so far from GoG still work fine, despite it's ceasing to exist (temporarily). I already am in the habit of backing my games up, so I have a working installer for everything I bought, I'm not out a single game. All my games work just as perfect with GoG gone as they do with GoG here, but this is not really the best way for them to make that statement.

I really don't like how this is playing out one bit, but now I'm a bit curious to see how it will end. If GoG comes back and lets me continue to buy DRM free titles, I will, with a bit of a grudge. Gamers are pretty forgiving though, so if they were to come back and give everyone WC:Kilrathi Saga for free, or Crusader No Remorse/No Regret, Dungeon Keeper 1/2, or they got TIE Fighter/X-WING working like a charm in W7, or something else great, I'd forget this whole thing.

Boonoo said:
That's really up to the publishers rather than Steam; although I suppose Valve could fight harder for it. Regardless, it's pretty easy to have someone from a different region buy and gift it.
Too much of a hassle. I know it's up to the publishers but it's an inconvenience still.

So, we're looking at one of the following?

1) shut down for reasons unknown and then bought out by an interested party in the meantime (I assume if they shut down because they were bought they would have handled this a bit differently)

2) shut down for good

3) they pulled a "haha you thought all of your games you bought were available then we disappeared with vague promises and no good explanations" prank (a classic)

What a clusterfuck. This has been a bit of a blackeye for the DD realm IMO however you slice it.

Dennis

Banned
The one big fear people have with DD services are that they will close down, leaving you unable to get your games. You just don't prank about that. Its crazy :lol

Twig

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
it was /really/ hard to fit everything in the title
Confirmed closed? I've seen nothing that says they are confirmed close. Did I miss a post in this thread? D:

DennisK4 said:
The one big fear people have with DD services are that they will close down, leaving you unable to get your games. You just don't prank about that. Its crazy :lol

I think it will take something akin to a bigger DD company to truly shut down in order for the customers to demand that the still remaining companies clearly mark down their policy. Its one reason I wish someone who had lost access to their account would actually sue Valve. Nobody has done so and therefore their policy has yet to be tested in court as legal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Twig said:
Confirmed closed? I've seen nothing that says they are confirmed close. Did I miss a post in this thread? D:

It says on gog.com:

We're closing down the service

Yet some of us are still blindly hoping for the best, as damning as that plainly is.

UPDATE LOL

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom