• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People with skin |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

EviLore said:
Some people are misconstruing things. The solution to the problem I talked about is not starting "OT2" and so forth when the soft cap on posts is met. That is already done forum-wide by the mod team, and is a completely unrelated software issue to keep thread size from trashing server load. It's not done to combat megathreads becoming insular subcommunities and so forth.

The issue I have is forming communities around a particular thread and just staying in there and using it as a chatroom. NeoGAf has a limited amount of active thread space, with just two main forum areas, and it's not designed to work that way. I unfortunately did not take the necessary steps to combat this until it became a serious problem, so certain threads spiraled out of control and we had drama like with the Rock Band thread deletion, and I had to move the AusGAF thread to the online forum (the AusGAF guys were far less hostile and I didn't want to break up their big subcommunity that had formed).

Some other concessions are made, yes. The stickied sports threads keep the OT forum from being overrun. It's a bandaid, but a functional one. The official threads on the gaming forum serve a very specific purpose: post-release discussion of a specific video game, and I've shifted policies on the gaming side to prevent megathreads from forming in most other circumstances related to gaming discussion. I'm happy with the results there, though it's an ongoing process.

You should not be shitting bricks and feeling like your forum is dying when a thread is closed, or in this case, merged. NeoGAF is the community. When you have something interesting and substantial to post, you can post a thread about it and people will chime in. It keeps things moving and keeps things accessible. Huge megathreads about particular subjects are not accessible except for the people already deep in them.
but with the merging of both threads aren't going to see that anyway? I just feel the merging both threads won't help any of it and if nothing else one will get overshadowed by the other. Hispanigaf thread was around for months and barely broke 20 pages Negro-Gaf was around for a few days and exploded.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zeke said:
but with the merging of both threads aren't going to see that anyway? I just feel the merging both threads won't help any of it and if nothing else one will get overshadowed by the other. Hispanigaf thread was around for months and barely broke 20 pages Negro-Gaf was around for a few days and exploded.

This thread is not sticking around.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Zeke said:
Yeah thats what I'm saying. NegroGAF was essentially a coming out party, it was gonna die down just any other large thread. No way it was going to keep that pace. Also, neither would've been burned to begin with it if weren't for the troll threads.

lol w/e... gay gaf wins again

Imm0rt4l

DY_nasty said:
Yeah thats what I'm saying. NegroGAF was essentially a coming out party, it was gonna die down just any other large thread. No way it was going to keep that pace. Also, neither would've been burned to begin with it if weren't for the troll threads.

oh no......

lets not get bitter man.

sciplore

DY_nasty said:

Dude dont be that way. Just start a 90s nostalgia thread, pretty much the same thing.

And spindashing wtf is up with your tag :lol :lol :lol

Yoshiya

What of GayGAF then? Many can attest to how valuable it has been in helping people come to accept themselves, as well as good discussion on gay related news and rights issues. Will it be closed, or see an AusGAF like reincarnation?

Edit:
EviLore said:
gay-gaf doesn't have immunity
:(

Dead Man

DY_nasty said:

Because it's a competition...

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
And alas we reach...Armageddon. All of humanity holds hands, sings harmoniously and braces each other for a bittersweet moment of tranquility before their very existence is wiped from the pages of Neogaf the Universe. Its been fun hispani/Negro GAF.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
gay-gaf doesn't have immunity
I think Gay-GAF has a very important place here for all the gay nerds out there. That sound kind of funny, and it kind of is, but honestly, in some places, be it rural Australia or somewhere in Eastern Europe or somewhere in, I don't know, mountainside Canada, there are gay people who honestly feel like they don't have a community of people who share similar interests as them, who also happen to be gay.

I know personally it helped my coming out, and the thread itself has anecdotally made so many other people feel better about themselves.

Not to make this an us versus them thing, but I'm not entirely sure Negro-GAF or any other skin colour GAF necessarily serve the same purpose. There are still a lot of misconceptions about what it means, on a person-identity level, to be gay, and I feel like Gay-GAF has helped with that for many people.

Zeliard

Veidt said:
A caribbean friend of mine was telling me how his parents would somtimes, just randomly beat the shit out of him, at the most inappropriate times, such as when he would be asleep in the morning.

"That's for when you eventually do something stupid..again" . :lol

Gives a whole new meaning to "minority report."

Nameless said:
Paul Mooney was right. White people won't let Negros can't keep anything that gets too popular.

I went back in this thread to get to the spot where the White-Age stuff started and lol'd at this.

yencid

Topher said:
And alas we reach...Armageddon. All of humanity holds hands, sings harmoniously and braces each other for a bittersweet moment of tranquility before their very existence is wiped from the pages of Neogaf the Universe. Its been fun hispani/Negro GAF.
this post... is kinda perfect.

Koomaster

I still don't understand the problem. So what if people want to use a particular thread as a 'chatroom' of sorts? Who gives a shit? People get together, and talk and be friends - why do we have to necessarily be spread across the whole forum? I actually post in other topics, I don't think anyone is exclusive to any [OT] type thread.

Imm0rt4l

Celsior said:
What the hell does Mammy mean?

Also, if you get rid of sports-gaf topics, sports gaf will just leave.

it's a caricature of an african american woman, usually the loud, overweight, cleaning lady. Think Aunt jemima or that woman from the og tom and jerry cartoons.

Yoshiya

Celsior said:
I would feel worse if we still had the hot woman thread, but that is dead and that makes me bitter.

I think there's a difference between an effective support network and a thread purely to share pics. But yeah, Rez is right, GayGAF has an important purpose (which, yes, it often strays from) which perhaps isn't the same in these other mega-threads. These not infrequent suicides amongst young gay people should be enough evidence of that.

DY_nasty

EviLore said:
Well, you're being a douche at the very least.
Because I was upset at the fact that GayGAF got to come through essentially the same situation with their thread intact. Maybe I'm being a little too cynical right now, but either way it sucks. I won't keep harping on it though.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Celsior said:
I would feel worse if we still had the hot woman thread, but that is dead and that makes me bitter.

except the hot man thread was shut down too. So perhaps you shouldn't be so bitter?

Also, unlike the ethnicity threads gaygaf has helped many people come out of the closet and be comfortable with who they are.

:lol you guys just now noticed my tag? I got it I guess because I was in favor of grilled chicken over fried chicken cause I said I needed to keep my cholesterol levels down or atleast that's where I think it came from.

I was even contemplating getting a Hattie McDaniel (who played "Mammy") avatar from Gone With The Wind but nah.

i_am_ben said:
Also, unlike the ethnicity threads gaygaf has helped many people come out of the closet and be comfortable with who they are.
all of these threads had their value. I blame the TC of the bitter White-GAF thread. today would not have ended like this were it not for that lulz/troll thread and it's offspring.

Celsior

i_am_ben said:
except the hot man thread was shut down too. So perhaps you shouldn't be so bitter?

there was a hot men thread, must of never noticed it:lol

EviLore said:
Some people are misconstruing things. The solution to the problem I talked about is not starting "OT2" and so forth when the soft cap on posts is met. That is already done forum-wide by the mod team, and is a completely unrelated software issue to keep thread size from trashing server load. It's not done to combat megathreads becoming insular subcommunities and so forth.

The issue I have is forming communities around a particular thread and just staying in there and using it as a chatroom. NeoGAf has a limited amount of active thread space, with just two main forum areas, and it's not designed to work that way. I unfortunately did not take the necessary steps to combat this until it became a serious problem, so certain threads spiraled out of control and we had drama like with the Rock Band thread deletion, and I had to move the AusGAF thread to the online forum (the AusGAF guys were far less hostile and I didn't want to break up their big subcommunity that had formed).

Some other concessions are made, yes. The stickied sports threads keep the OT forum from being overrun. It's a bandaid, but a functional one. The official threads on the gaming forum serve a very specific purpose: post-release discussion of a specific video game, and I've shifted policies on the gaming side to prevent megathreads from forming in most other circumstances related to gaming discussion. I'm happy with the results there, though it's an ongoing process.

You should not be shitting bricks and feeling like your forum is dying when a thread is closed, or in this case, merged. NeoGAF is the community. When you have something interesting and substantial to post, you can post a thread about it and people will chime in. It keeps things moving and keeps things accessible. Huge megathreads about particular subjects are not accessible except for the people already deep in them.
Isn't that more or less what a Megathread is? A consolidation of multiple similar conversation topics into a main topic, in that case regarding a video game. Yes I see the disparity between a game and a race/culture topic, but they both behave the same way regarding them being insular.

I see your point about megathreads about a particular race/culture becoming insular, but relegating them to simple "chat rooms" seems unfair to me as gaming megathreads are basically chat-rooms about said game. Nothing stops anyone from outside of said culture/race from posting in the thread with a question. People from outside HaloGAf post in that thread asking about Halo without any problems.

And sure I'd never find myself a reason to post in the AusGAF thread because I'm not Australian nor do I live there, so you're right about that not being accessible. But if for some reason something came up in my life or I needed to know something about Australia and/or the people from there, I'd be sure to ask in that thread.

TL;DR I'm nervous replying to Eviliore and my point is that megathreads for races/cultures should be approached with a more open mind. They would help GAF from being overrun by threads regarding topics touched on in the past race/culture threads and can be just as insular as current gaming/aus/sports/poli megathreads.

Zeke

Koomaster said:
I still don't understand the problem. So what if people want to use a particular thread as a 'chatroom' of sorts? Who gives a shit? People get together, and talk and be friends - why do we have to necessarily be spread across the whole forum? I actually post in other topics, I don't think anyone is exclusive to any [OT] type thread.
yea this is what confuses me Gaffers aren't just in one thread all the time except for a small number of posters. I just don't see the difference between having hispanigaf and negro-gaf threads and having Dexter watch threads or sport-gaf. Sure certain threads will have their major posters but what thread doesn't? I think the bigger separation here is between gaming side and OT as a whole. I think OT has posters that post in tons of different threads and they do a great job of it.

DY_nasty

I still can't believe there are at least two black women that post on GAF. That alone has blown my mind.

Koomaster

No thread should really get over a handful of pages. Cannot let any splinter groups form and exclude anyone else on the forum. They would have too much fun by themselves.

DY_nasty said:
I still can't believe there are at least two black women that post on GAF. That alone has blown my mind.
Same here bro. NegroGAF was ridiculous.

Found out there were other Haitians in GAF.
Found out there are sistas on GAF.

I so miss that thread...

Rez said:
I think Gay-GAF has a very important place here for all the gay nerds out there. That sound kind of funny, and it kind of is, but honestly, in some places, be it rural Australia or somewhere in Eastern Europe or somewhere in, I don't know, mountainside Canada, there are gay people who honestly feel like they don't have a community of people who share similar interests as them, who also happen to be gay.

I know personally it helped my coming out, and the thread itself has anecdotally made so many other people feel better about themselves.

Not to make this an us versus them thing, but I'm not entirely sure Negro-GAF or any other skin colour GAF necessarily serve the same purpose. There are still a lot of misconceptions about what it means, on a person-identity level, to be gay, and I feel like Gay-GAF has helped with that for many people.

I had a serious use for Negro-Age too. I'm a mulatto and I have been through a lot of self-discovery, image issues, etc and having a thread like that would have been nice. Especially now that I'm in an interracial relationship with a girl that doesn't know anything about black culture. Also it's not exactly the norm (or looked highly upon) in the black community to be a nerd. You can feel real ostracized sometimes and even more so coming to GAF where the default assumption is everyone is a white mid-twenties gamer.

Yeah, it's not the same as keeping people from suicide, but Negro-Age had a legit use aside from being fun as hell. Oh well, back to NBA-Age.

DY_nasty

spindashing said:
Same here bro. NegroGAF was ridiculous.

Found out there were other Haitians in GAF.
Found out there are sistas on GAF.

I so miss that thread...
I didn't even get to troll dreams for being an Alpha like I planned :lol

Oh well, you can find me in NBA-age. Hatin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom