• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct - June 6th 2017 15:00 BST

What are you expecting from this Direct?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
this dislike for the 3DS is weird as shit on this forum

I'm playing Fire Emblem Echoes on 3DS right now and it's been like two days since I used my Switch to finish Zelda

What's funny is that before the Switch going from screen much larger than it, from TVs to tablets, to the 3DS was never a problem.

I'm hoping this and the Diamond/Pearl is cross-release at the very least because
  1. I don't own a Switch
  2. I don't WANT to own a Switch
  3. I won't go back to playing Pokemon on a cluttered single screen especially after the great UI Sun and Moon had

also how shitty would it be to remake the games the introduced dual screens with a single screen, especially since that houses a good chunk of the game's features
Yeah, no kidding. I HATE how cluttered pokemon games' UI were before the SAVIOUR DUAL SCREENS were implemented:
pokemon-leaf-green-town1.gif

Seriously what the hell are you talking about

I'm playing Fire Emblem Echoes on 3DS right now and it's been like two days since I used my Switch to finish Zelda

The 3DS was a great piece of hardware but it's hard going back to those tiny, low-res screens after the Switch's beautiful, vibrant HD screen.

maxcriden

People who would be pissed if it was 3ds only when there are only a couple million switches even out there. Imagine the kids if it was switch exclusive. I hope its 3ds too, gross platform, and that they have plenty of time to work on gen 8 from the ground up for switch

This is a great point also.

I really hope this looks like a console game and not a 3DS game but, I assume that I am going to be wrong.

By looks like do you mean the graphics or like what platform it will be on?

The Eurogamer rumor from last year said it was for Switch. I would be surprised if it wasn't also for 3DS given the install base there, but if they want to focus on building Switch appeal perhaps it could be Switch exclusive. I would be surprised if it wasn't on Switch at all given how on the ball EG has been.

As for the aesthetic, I imagine it will look like an improved 3DS game in HD. The Pokémon models are pretty high poly IIRC.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I have not played a mainline Pokémon game in quite some time due to portable game systems being of lesser interest to me. But Pokémon Stars for Nintendo Switch I find very intriguing, so I hope that is what Nintendo will announce in this upcoming Pokémon Direct broadcast.

AdanVC

There's no way they are gonna announce an actual Pokémon RPG for Switch, it's simply too good to be trueeeeeeeeeeeee D:

Pls prove me wrong, Nintendo...

Neoxon

I'm hoping this and the Diamond/Pearl is cross-release at the very least because
  1. I don't own a Switch
  3. I won't go back to playing Pokemon on a cluttered single screen especially after the great UI Sun and Moon had

also how shitty would it be to remake the games the introduced dual screens with a single screen, especially since that houses a good chunk of the game's features
Funny you mention Sun/Moon, that was apparently the beginning of Game Freak moving away from using dual screens. Pokémon's gonna make the switch eventually, be it now or Gen 8. The 3DS can't be supported forever.

The 3DS is a decent hardware only because it's based off the DS, but everything else it tries to do sucks. Good riddance

ggx2ac

Isn't this like six minutes long? Why do I get the feeling this is mostly going to be about smartphones.

Did you forget the 3 minute Pokémon direct that was just an announcement of Pokémon Sun and Moon with no footage of gameplay?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
hmmm ...that would explain why there are Sun and Moon Pokemon in the next movie when it's a re-telling of s1.

schaft0620

This is a great point also.

By looks like do you mean the graphics or like what platform it will be on?

The Eurogamer rumor from last year said it was for Switch. I would be surprised if it wasn't also for 3DS given the install base there, but if they want to focus on building Switch appeal perhaps it could be Switch exclusive. I would be surprised if it wasn't on Switch at all given how on the ball EG has been.

As for the aesthetic, I imagine it will look like an improved 3DS game in HD. The Pokémon models are pretty high poly IIRC.

I just don't want it to be a cleaned up port of a 3DS game.

JoeM86

1496672648648.jpg

2AwcGdQ.jpg

In-game image was posted yesterday and the concept art was posted today. Some details

i'm a translator working on the upcoming pokémon game which you know as codename "pokémon stars".
I'll be leaving here few infos because u'll soon get an official announcement.

the new game will be available both for 3DS and Nintendo Switch. Only one title, not a couple of games.
the two versions can, of course, communicate.
Game will be again set in Alola, no visiting Kanto. Most of the characters will be grown up, such as Gladion that now fully runs Aether Paradise on his own.
Gyms are now built up. No more Alolan trials.
there will be no new pokémon or megas. Necrozma is getting a new form though. there will be new exclusive Z-moves. Won't say
anything more on them.
while the game is a sequel, plot is heavily focused on past events, such as black & white 2: you'll know more about how Mohn lost his memories, and how Necrozma fell into our world. (hint: "stars"!)
the game is heavily filled with cutscenes, even more than Sun & Moon.

what you see here is a grown up Gladion in his new suit. Feel free not to believe, i don't want any troubles on leaking things. Do not ask anything, I won't be saying more than what's already in the post.

boy is called kaosu, girl is called hoshi

I can't say for sure about that art but...
KLmrfbl.png

GoldStarz

Funny you mention Sun/Moon, that was apparently the beginning of Game Freak moving away from using dual screens. Pokémon's gonna make the switch eventually, be it now or Gen 8. The 3DS can't be supported forever.

Really? That's weird since in my head, Sun and Moon's battle UI was pretty dependent on having two screen and showing as much info as possible

Yeah, no kidding. I HATE how cluttered pokemon games' UI were before the SAVIOUR DUAL SCREENS were implemented:
pokemon-leaf-green-town1.gif

Seriously what the hell are you talking about

They're almost certainly referring to battles. Ie, this setup:
Pok%C3%A9mon_FireRed_first_battle.png

Vs the dual screen setup where you could go through all your options without covering up the entire screen up above. Though to be honest, that seems like it would be somewhat less of an issue on an HD console, even in the Switch's handheld form. Smaller text and icons would still be legible and so wouldn't have to cover up anything beyond the usual text space at the bottom of the screen anyway.

Wamb0wneD

1. I don't own a Switch

Cluttered UI? What? Sun/Moons UI has the least features on the second screen since that screen exists. The hell are you talking about?
Also what did the Switch do to you to deserve such hatred lol.

Neoxon

You guys think we'll get a Pokkén Switch port announcement in this Direct? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I recall the Hori Switch arcade stick description mentioning Pokkén.

Kyzer

Banned
The only people who have an issue with gen one "pandering" are people that will buy the games anyways. What exactly does everyone suffer by having tributes to gen 1 in the games? People just wish their favorite gens got attention instead, like "attention" is some quantitative thing from developers that should be equal and fair to all, but the fact of the matter is gen 1 has been prevalent in nearly every pokemon game and is a part of what Pokemon is as a series. The developers and fans love it and people who are bothered by tributes to a gen they dont like need to get over it and realize that just because they dont like something doesnt mean everyone else should stop liking it too. Oh no, things related to the first and most popular generation of pokemon, what a terrible thing to have to suffer in a video game

They're almost certainly referring to battles. Ie, this setup:
Pok%C3%A9mon_FireRed_first_battle.png

Vs the dual screen setup where you could go through all your options without covering up the entire screen up above. Though to be honest, that seems like it would be somewhat less of an issue on an HD console, even in the Switch's handheld form. Smaller text and icons would still be legible and so wouldn't have to cover up anything beyond the usual text space at the bottom of the screen anyway.
which also has essentially no clutter, does not cover up any gameplay, and is extremely functional.

1. I don't own a Switch

So somebody gave you a switch free you gon decline it? Or you cant buy one?

MattAces

I can't say for sure about that art but...
KLmrfbl.png

The real question here is how did you manage to look at the picture and remember, oh that background, let me look up this very specific random character with the background. That's pretty impressive.

Neoxon

Really? That's weird since in my head, Sun and Moon's battle UI was pretty dependent on having two screen and showing as much info as possible
Sun/Moon didn't really use the 2nd screen much outside of the map, caring for your Pokémon, & battle commands (especially compared to X/Y & OR/AS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom