• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miitopia |OT| Where Shaq says "hold my sword, Taylor Swift, gotta heal Reggie & ALF!"

TheMoon

miitopiabannerygshb.png

Developed by: Nintendo EPD
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Dates: December 8, 2016 (JP) | July 28, 2017 (NA/PAL)
Genre: Mii Nonsensical Insanity Sim-RPG
Stereoscopic 3D: Yes
amiibo: Yes
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced: ??
Multiplayer: No
Nintendo Image Share Service: Supported! (share screenshots to social media)
Demo: Yes (EU) + EU Casting Call | (NA) | (JP Casting Call) [demo progress carries over into the full game!]
eShop download file size in blocks: 6919 blocks
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan
Game manual PDF: English | Japanese
Reviews: Here
whatmiit9dsmr.jpg

Miitopia is a Mii-based RPG adventure. Bring Miis of your friends or your Kanye West clone army into the game and have them experience an adventure full of weirdness and bananas. Why are you adventuring? Because some evil demon wizard monster (no relation to Nicholas Cage and/or John Travolta) is stealing faces, of course! Why else?
battle-groupgfs6p.png

The battles are turn-based. You control the main character, the remaining Miis act automagically but are governed by their personality traits (especially interesting if you "lived" with them in Tomodachi Life beforehand). There is even an option to let all battles be taken over by the CPU so you don't have to bother with it if you don't wanna.
battle-flowervpssn.png

After the battling is done, you rest at an inn. This is where the extra wacky social weirdness happens. Drama is sure to ensue as relationships between your party of Mii adventurers are put to the test. Nobody will leave like they began this journey. Remember, drama. About bananas. And stuff.
food_illust10f9sze.png
This is also where you buy gear and eat lots of food to power up your fleet of dorks. Well, it's not you who's buying it, it's you who gives them money and they buy whatever they feel like with it. So things might go poorly...
food_imgywsx7.png

transferx7sh1.jpg

You can import Miis from Tomodachi Life (with their personalities already included!) save data or using a Tomodachi Life QR Code, your 3DS Friends List, Mii Maker on 3DS, Mii Studio on Wii U (via QR Code), or Miitomo on your smart device (via QR Code)

Here is a more detailed rundown with some example QR codes from Nintendo.
Or with more pictures here.
hero-chara3sdu.png

amiiboksjp.jpg

Tapping a compatible amiibo will unlock a corresponding costume from the list below. Your puzzle brains can figure out which amiibo are supported on their own. I have faith in you.
miibcostresbm.png

misckpsjs.jpg

hero-gallery-slide-6vfsdc.jpg
hero-gallery-slide-52rsbm.jpg

hero-gallery-slide-4wfsg0.jpg
hero-gallery-slide-1h5squ.jpg

hero-gallery-slide-251s04.jpg
hero-gallery-slide-3svs9e.jpg

3ds_miitopia_scrn_05_qpsr3.jpg
3ds_miitopia_scrn_03_61sdn.jpg

3ds_miitopia_scrn_02_fusn0.jpg
3ds_miitopia_scrn_01_w9s9x.jpg

E3 2017 Treehouse Live Demo
EU Trailer
Creepy US TV Spot
transplord-bgy4sak.png

Robin64

This is the perfect game to play while your attention is maybe split with something else, like watching an old show you've seen before.

Also I want to stress again, it supports the Ness amiibo. Happy days.

DFxObhNUAAA5GpM.jpg

Opinions seem split with this game. I didn't really enjoy much at all after the first 2 hours but it seemed to captivate others,

Robin64

It does feel like you've seen everything the game has to offer within the first two hours, yeah. There are just enough little things that happen to keep it from being entirely stale.

It's almost like a Clicker, just one you don't click, where you see what numbers and things you unlock the more time you put into it.

NoKisum

So excited this is finally making its way overseas. After that JPN Direct, I was worried it would be JPN exclusive.

I'm guessing all the low scores are from people expecting the game to be as deep as something like Final Fantasy or Persona. For me after playing the demo, the game is exactly what I expect it to be: a casual turn based RPG with elements of Tomodachi Life and Find Mii. It's perfect.

Now I just need to find the right character to play the villain. I got 2D from Gorillaz as a placeholder, but I can do better...

Velcro Fly

Got this game for $7 and I own a ton of amiibo and I have a really short attention span so maybe this game is for me!

BooJoh

Some Mii QR Codes for the taking:

42 total codes as of now. I may or may not add more later.

If anyone knows, I'd like to know if you put an amiibo costume on someone with the Cat job, do they still crawl around?

Trying to choose some party members and this game brings "stuck on character creation" to a whole new level.

-NeoTB1-

So excited this is finally making its way overseas. After that JPN Direct, I was worried it would be JPN exclusive.

I'm guessing all the low scores are from people expecting the game to be as deep as something like Final Fantasy or Persona. For me after playing the demo, the game is exactly what I expect it to be: a casual turn based RPG with elements of Tomodachi Life and Find Mii. It's perfect.

Now I just need to find the right character to play the villain. I got 2D from Gorillaz as a placeholder, but I can do better...

I don't want to turn this thread into a political mess, but in the demo the first choice that popped up for the villain was Trump. It fit so perfectly, I just had to keep it. :p

Great OT, TheMoon. I especially enjoyed the genre. No wonder I like Miitopia so much!

My copy is still on the way (suffering, woe), but if anyone is interested in adding Mii or some of the cast of Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns to their game for laughs, I made a quick post here.

Linkura

Got it. Playing now. I am starting with 220 HP sprinkles and 80 MP sprinkles from fucking around with the demo some while doing other stuff. Game will likely be a joke now. :)

NoKisum

I don't want to turn this thread into a political mess, but in the demo the first choice that popped up for the villain was Trump. It fit so perfectly, I just had to keep it. :p
See, I had that initial thought, but I thought that would be too cliche lol.

While messing around on the Casting Call demo, I ended making a mii based on Animus, the main antagonist of the manga Lucifer and The Biscuit Hammer. One of my few favorite villains, so I figured it would be fitting for me.

Princess Peppermint Patty is engaged to Prince C3P0 but seems to love Parappa. C3P0 just called Parappa a dog lol.
(I love filling the character roster from internet miis other people made)

I also ran into the travelling gourmet John Cena.

Does this game have same sex relationships?

I'm not going to get overly political or anything, just curious.

Sort of? I started the game with miis of my boyfriend and I, and as we spend time together in the Inn and give gifts, the game says we care about each other and are "close". It's not really relationships, but at least they treat the genders equally as to who can get close to who.

Like MMES said, all your party members like eachother the same regardless of their assigned genders, but there are also canon story relationships between NPCs and you can choose to make a Mii to fill those spots and it does let you select a gender for that Mii if you make it yourself. It doesn't change anything appearance-wise, but your Princess can be male if you want to do that.

I do tend to wax political myself. More LGBT+/PoC/Minority representation in all my media please!

My game just got here so here we go!

The most accurate response would be "relationships are not restricted in any way". The game never gets explicitly lovey-dovey with the relationships but they certainly come across as being romantic more than just friendly, especially with how characters get jealous of one another and eventually can rank up to being labled 'soulmates'. But they never like... kiss or anything.

So it's better than Tomodachi Life was but the game is not as geared towards dating stuff as that one is anyway.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I played through the demo and played a bit more today but Splatoon has me right now. I will definitely be pouring through this with my free time.

JCX

I thought this game would be just alright, but the demo sold me. Really enjoying the full game.

Within minutes of playing the demo I met Skullface from MGSV, Donald Trump, Nicholas Cage and Captain Falcon, two of which had their faces stolen.

Alright game, you win.

Choppymushroom

Neo Member
Had a surprisingly good time with the demo. The game gave me Dark Lord Reggie, definitely keeping that progress when I pick up the full game.

k91191

My team is AbeLincoln, Amy Rose, Hank Hill and Diglett.

The Dark Lord is SteveUrkel and the Wandering Mage guy is Shrek.

Fun game.

Linkura

My team is AbeLincoln, Amy Rose, Hank Hill and Diglett.

The Dark Lord is SteveUrkel and the Wandering Mage guy is Shrek.

Fun game.

SteveUrkel was part of my original party. Original party was me, my husband, SteveUrkel, and M Jackson.
Then I got Bish, Miyamoto, and Reggie. Now with Waluigi, Samus, and Zelda. By the way, Waluigi's class is PERFECT for him
(tank..........)
Dark Lord is R Reagan and Wandering Sage is Bill [Trinen].

Game is getting pretty repetitive but only recently I found out you can hold your finger on the screen and it speeds up dungeon movement, convos, and battles. :O

BooJoh

You can also hold Y at anytime to freeze the game, but it disables the camera button so I'm not sure why you'd want to unless you're posting to Miiverse.

TheMoon

You can also hold Y at anytime to freeze the game, but it disables the camera button so I'm not sure why you'd want to unless you're posting to Miiverse.

it supports nintendo image share, that's basically made for screenshot-taking.

If you hit up or down on the D Pad while you're holding Y, it takes a screenshot of the top or bottom screen, respectively.

Linkura

So I beat
the Dark Lord R Reagan
, but it still seems like there's quite a bit of game left, which surprises me. It's honestly kind of wearing on me at this point. :/

So I beat
the Dark Lord R Reagan
, but it still seems like there's quite a bit of game left, which surprises me. It's honestly kind of wearing on me at this point. :/
Really? That's interesting. I had a completely different reaction.
Holy poop, we're flying on a Dragon, the game is really starting to get good now!

The new areas that opened up at that point are very visually appealing to me and
I have a love/hate relationship with the new party splitting mechanic. It does remind me of Final Fantasy VI every time it happens though, which is nice.

Nothing wrong with putting the game down if you need a break of course. I'm a bit further than that
(currently in the Sky Scraper)
and still having a good time, but I am taking frequent long breaks from playing.

Linkura

Really? That's interesting. I had a completely different reaction.
Holy poop, we're flying on a Dragon, the game is really starting to get good now!

The new areas that opened up at that point are very visually appealing to me and
I have a love/hate relationship with the new party splitting mechanic. It does remind me of Final Fantasy VI every time it happens though, which is nice.

Nothing wrong with putting the game down if you need a break of course. I'm a bit further than that
(currently in the Sky Scraper)
and still having a good time, but I am taking frequent long breaks from playing.

How are you so much further than me yet taking "frequent long breaks?" :) Unless you are playing the import, which I don't think you are.

Honestly my hands are starting to hurt in some places, which is a concern for me since I already have arthritis. So that isn't helping. But it's also getting pretty boring and repetitive ANYWAY. So yeah. :(

How are you so much further than me yet taking "frequent long breaks?" :) Unless you are playing the import, which I don't think you are.

Honestly my hands are starting to hurt in some places, which is a concern for me since I already have arthritis. So that isn't helping. But it's also getting pretty boring and repetitive ANYWAY. So yeah. :(
Frequent long breaks = putting the game down for an hour or two. 2-3 times a day. Plus sleep, which I'm not getting enough of lately. Multiple smaller breaks as well. I don't have anything else to do this weekend though, so I've been playing like that since Friday evening. In between loading the dishwasher and washing machine/dryer and emptying them out all weekend long. I'm not sure how I'm further, not really doing any grinding or anything excessive, just trying to a) finish all the maps 100% without any backtracking to a completed map and b) keeping my team evenly leveled. Without over leveling them hopefully. Still can't resist a good shiny Snurp though!

Sorry the game is causing you pain. I hope you'll be able to finish it after a break so it doesn't feel too monotonous. I have very fond memories of finishing a few games around the same time as you. I think the last one was DMW2? :)

Top Bottom