• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miitopia |OT| Where Shaq says "hold my sword, Taylor Swift, gotta heal Reggie & ALF!"

Linkura

Sorry the game is causing you pain. I hope you'll be able to finish it after a break so it doesn't feel too monotonous. I have very fond memories of finishing a few games around the same time as you. I think the last one was DMW2? :)
Yup, we definitely have similar tastes! I definitely remember the DMW2 thread. <3 It's always fun seeing you around OTs.

I think I might be done with this game though. Woke up this morning and my hands are still hurting. I think it's the super repetitive nature of the game that's doing it, plus having to hold down buttons/the screen to speed up as opposed to having a lock on that (why the hell did they force you to hold down a button?). :( I can't afford to have a hand injury when I already have arthritis in my thumbs that forces me to wear braces all the time. :(

I got the credits roll last night and unlocked the first post-game job class:
Vampire
. I wasn't expecting to tear up during the credits either, but that's a thing that happened. I guess I got really attached to my Mii Cast!

Honestly the fights in the harder post-game areas are challenging! No more auto-battles. Nice.

Absolute most laughs in the game for me:
The Party learns how to Dance with the Three Fab Sisters.

Linkura

I got the credits roll last night and unlocked the first post-game job class:
Vampire
. I wasn't expecting to tear up during the credits either, but that's a thing that happened. I guess I got really attached to my Mii Cast!

Honestly the fights in the harder post-game areas are challenging! No more auto-battles. Nice.

Congrats!!! No more auto battles? How does that work? Are the post game monsters all bosses?

Had to quit playing but I'm still very curious. How is the new class?

And yeah, that was a pretty amusing scene. :)

Congrats!!! No more auto battles? How does that work? Are the post game monsters all bosses?

Had to quit playing but I'm still very curious. How is the new class?

And yeah, that was a pretty amusing scene. :)

I just meant that a lot of the fights are hard enough that I have to pay close attention so people don't die, hence no auto battles (by my choice) any more.

I haven't tried the new class yet, I'm waiting to unlock the other one,
Elf
and
set up two Miis who will be devoted members of the classes my main character had to leave behind each time the Dark Lord stole everything at the end of each area.
That should give me a
4th set of 4 guys, which is great because I can finally leave My Mii behind when I go on adventures.

Does the Tank's attacks use the Magic or Attack stat? Hard to tell, since all attacks cost MP.
Attack stat. Whatever stat is boosted by your equipment is the stat you use to attack.

As you get higher in level your characters may learn abilities that use other stats, which you can also check. It'll say (magic) after the skill description in the Job Abilities list if it uses the Magic stat, for example. This seems to only apply to classes like the Imp so far, where the weapon already grants Magic stat.

I finally got the final post game class,
Elf
and made a new team. Forgot that I needed the other gender of Pop Star to finish the equipment achievements though! They're pretty low level right now so I'm not sure how good they are in combat.
Elf is supposed to be all kinds of OP at higher levels though.

BooJoh

I haven't been using auto-battle unless I'm grinding. I guess I just prefer controlling my own character.

That scene was great, but my biggest laugh so far was a random event in which Toad stopped to tell me that Marie farts during battles and thinks nobody notices. That and the first time I saw a
Twerkey

Linkura

Twerkeys
are creepy as fuck. I also got that fart scene. :)

Teriyaki Blues, thanks! For some reason when you said autobattles in your previous post, I thought you meant "random" encounters. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the final classes and postgame. What type of content are we talking about in the post game? Lots of new areas?

What are everyone's favorite class? I had princess as my last main and the skill that makes enemies dance was invaluable in fiend fights. :) Also really like cleric and flower since they can revive.

BooJoh

I really like Scientist, but it's mostly for the aesthetic. I have my MC as one and when my Cat or Thief join in his Skills it doesn't add much extra damage, but since it's my MC and I've pumped his stats up so far he does pretty decent physical Assist damage for others. The auto skills are pretty nice when they go off too. Adding extra damage + AoE to someone else's regular attack, preventing status conditions, or adding life-steal to a low-HP member's attack. Plus as my MC I can choose when to use Cure.exe on someone for HP+MP.

JonnyKong

I played about two hours of it on a plane yesterday and enjoyed myself far more than I expected.

My team of four Miis are Jason Voorheas, Ghostface, Leatherface and Professor Snape. Michael Myers has been cast as the main bad guy. Snape is a female pop star who likes to wear bunny ears.

I decided I wanted Jason and Ghostface to be boyfriends so I concentrated on building their relationship, they got to level 4 and became very close, then I decided to try build up a friendship between Jason and Leatherface.

Cue a cut scene where Ghostface appeared at the window looking in on me and Leatherface bonding, it said he was jealous and upset &#128514; I was howling on the plane.

The gameplay is very basic and simple, but it's fiendishly addictive, more so than I can say about Hey Pikmin which isn't awful or anything, but nothing note worthy either.

Linkura

I really like Scientist, but it's mostly for the aesthetic. I have my MC as one and when my Cat or Thief join in his Skills it doesn't add much extra damage, but since it's my MC and I've pumped his stats up so far he does pretty decent physical Assist damage for others. The auto skills are pretty nice when they go off too. Adding extra damage + AoE to someone else's regular attack, preventing status conditions, or adding life-steal to a low-HP member's attack. Plus as my MC I can choose when to use Cure.exe on someone for HP+MP.

I made Miyamoto my scientist. This was before I knew the class has "Glitch" as an attack. :)

Post Game Spoiler Post including Job Class/New Area/Quest discussion.

Have Elf and Vampire at level 30 now, my official verdict is that the AI is pretty dumb at controlling those two job classes. They don't seem particularly more robust than other classes. Perhaps that will change with more food, levels, and equipment? I'm already caught up to the rest of my other 10 Miis on equipment at least. Everyone is starting to get into the 15000-17000 range of stuff now. I think there are 4-5 more item tiers after that. Money woes!

Pointy Ears, the Elf never heals (pretty similar to my experience with Scientist AI), but still makes a ton of love bloom on the battlefield. (Shields, Counter Arrow, shows Concern, gives Warnings a lot, presumably due to the high speed stat?) Doesn't AoE attack enough in tough situations. I prefer Scientist more, mine spams the Black Hole and Volatile Formula attacks about 90% of the time. And has actually healed someone once. Maybe my Scientist AI is just lucky? My Elf is Cool and my Scientist is Laid-Back. Not sure if that has any effect on things.

Edgy Suit, the Vampire doesn't use magical AoE attacks enough and keeps eating all of my HP Bananas instead of Biting things for more HP. Probably at least partially my fault for letting Miis eat enough HP Bananas to level them up. Also likes to turn other Miis into Vampires when there are way too many dudes to kill on the screen, why? Kill the monsters instead, okay? Bat Tornado is nice, I just need to feed Edgy Suit a lot of shellfish (defense food) because they keep trying to tank all the things.

I still need to unlock or finish some of the post game areas (maybe?). There are two completely new ones after beating the Darker Lord. The first is a tropical island where Elven charm is hidden, pretty big and very aesthetically pleasing. Also has very difficult fights, the Giant UFOs and Clever Running Noses in the Elven charm section (AKA Peculia Redux) are very annoying. The second post game area is a SciFy city filled with eight mini monster dungeons (like the caves scattered throughout the world) and has a high end challenge tower that unlocks after you finish half of them, there may be more later as I haven't stepped foot in the other four mini dungeons or the tower yet. In addition to the two new areas, the last two to three late game areas get expanded as well.

You get 3 new Travelers Hub quests per day after you beat the game. First set gave me the Bat charm (which I assume is consistent for everyone), and the quest areas so far have been visually interesting and give good rewards. A pretty reliable source of Game Tickets and high end food. Good experience if you tackle them with a lower leveled group as well.

I'm not playing as heavily now, so my character levels are still pretty low and I haven't finished all the new areas yet. Still enjoying the game a lot and want to try and do 100% completion, which might be hard. I've heard some enemies do not show up if you are over leveled, but I'm not sure if that's a problem that can be fixed by simply making a new group of Miis or not.

I think my favorite class so far is Flower. Around level 32 they finally get an AoE magic attack. It has been a game changer. I like them all so far except for Tank and Chef. Those two practically demand use with a Pop Star because they keep starting fights. Unless you're using the make everyone hate each other strategy, haha.

Watching Tank constantly apologizing for launching other Miis is pretty funny. Likes to launch the Princess a ton! Poor Princess.

Linkura

Post Game Spoiler Post including Job Class/New Area/Quest discussion.

Perhaps that will change with more food, levels, and equipment?

Isn't that the case with every class? ;)

THANK YOU for posting such detailed impressions of the post game. That's a pretty damn robust post game. I can't believe how much content there is in this game. I think it was the right decision to stop playing. My hands are only slowly recovering and still hurt some. :(

Isn't that the case with every class? ;)

THANK YOU for posting such detailed impressions of the post game. That's a pretty damn robust post game. I can't believe how much content there is in this game. I think it was the right decision to stop playing. My hands are only slowly recovering and still hurt some. :(
That's part of the reason I slowed down, I have joint problems too. Bursitis instead of arthritis, so I need to devote more time to stretching. Really tempted to just tape B down at this point.

Hope you feel better soon.

JonnyKong

There's a giant treasure chest on my map which I can't seem to get and it's driving me mad. I swear I've tried every possible route around it :(

There's a giant treasure chest on my map which I can't seem to get and it's driving me mad. I swear I've tried every possible route around it :(
Try hitting the direction buttons while standing on map spots near it, there are two big chests that have "hidden" paths which are accessible this way. There are a few that you need to hit switches in other maps for and at least one that the path won't open for until post game, if I recall correctly.

If the Explorer NPC is nearby on the map, run that one and pay close attention to what they say about the hidden treasure.

ETA: I went into a map I hadn't cleared before in the post game.
The Tower of Dread is a boss rush of all the other 8 bosses in the SciFy area! I died on boss #7 on my first attempt with a team in the low 40s/high 30s. Really wish this game had a Dragon Quest IV styled "your backup party comes out" thing. The final boss of the main story does have a cool 10-Mii mechanic but no other place in the game has used it so far. :(

de_reddy

Neo Member
This game is so funny, kills me everytime my mii is cleaning during one of the cutscenes with the sad face and the 'meh' above his head. So true. And doing push-ups with another mii is so weird, I can't seem te stop chuckling during these little moments.

JonnyKong

400 people rescued now. The repetitiveness is starting to kick in :( I'm in a weird position of being both addicted and bored playing this game.

Linkura

400 people rescued now. The repetitiveness is starting to kick in :( I'm in a weird position of being both addicted and bored playing this game.

This was me before I quit. My hands are still suffering. I might have to take a cold turkey break from all games/internet until it heals.

MrBS

This game is fun in short bursts and I'm getting through it very slowly. The biggest takeaway is I want a sequel to Tomodachi Life more than ever.

JonnyKong

This was me before I quit. My hands are still suffering. I might have to take a cold turkey break from all games/internet until it heals.

I've just had to
reform my party and start all over again and it's completely disheartened me.
I simply can't be bothered.

BooJoh

I've just had to
reform my party and start all over again and it's completely disheartened me.
I simply can't be bothered.

This happens multiple times in the game but I didn't feel like it hurt the flow. It gives you the chance to try out every Job if you want and decide which ones you want to have for the last stretch of the game. And you're playing in new areas so it's really just a psychological difference from the lower numbers.

Dark Overlord Nicolas Cage sounds very tempting for a paragon of evil personified.
I'm pretty sure that's what the streamer called Space Hamster went with, it is pretty funny. He does the voice.

I took a break for a few days and hopped back in yesterday morning to do daily quests. Not a bad idea, certainly gives the post-game legs for someone like me.

Ultimately this game has made me want to play Dragon Quest III or IX again! I wonder if my GBC copy of III still works. I'll investigate after breakfast.

Blues1990

I'm pretty sure that's what the streamer called Space Hamster went with, it is pretty funny. He does the voice.

I took a break for a few days and hopped back in yesterday morning to do daily quests. Not a bad idea, certainly gives the post-game legs for someone like me.

Ultimately this game has made me want to play Dragon Quest III or IX again! I wonder if my GBC copy of III still works. I'll investigate after breakfast.

Casting your friends as party members brings me back to playing Shadowrun with my friends and the pointless banter and arguments. I've seriously laughed out loud more times than I can count because of the random moments that come together.

And despite being easy, I'm enjoying it immensely. I ultimately went with The Horned King as the Dark Lord (though Cage and Duke Igthorn are perfect candidates for a future playthrough).

tumblr_oub3rf4WeH1ww21hjo1_500.jpg

I really likee this game !

The game has that "Nintendo magic" that totaly transcends the casual approach. Sure it is heavily streamlined but with such care that it becomes its own thing and it kept me interested.
I also love using my friends as the characters, since I am quite busy and miss the ones who live far away, it makes me feel warm inside :)

On a side note, it's sad to see the 3DS new games threads so deserted here on Gaf.
The releases schedule is really good on the system, almost too good since I barely can keep the pace lol. I lent my Switch to a friend since I was not playing it lately :p

BBboy20

On a side note, it's sad to see the 3DS new games threads so deserted here on Gaf.
The releases schedule is really good on the system, almost too good since I barely can keep the pace lol. I lent my Switch to a friend since I was not playing it lately :p
May explain why physical copies are getting rarer for it.

BooJoh

I haven't finished the postgame yet since I'm juggling a lot of games lately, but at 60 hours to the end credits (which I marathoned over the first week or so) and a bit more put in on top of that, it definitely delivered on content for me (and will continue to deliver later.)

Bizarre as it may sound to anyone else, this has been my GOTY so far.

Top Bottom