• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone calculated the % of "game shown" vs "talking" at the last E3

brawly

Heard this on the Easy Allies podcast.

Try to guess! -> 70,6% / 55,7% / 51,8% / 50,2% /24,1%

Bethesda:
50.2% (29:33/58:55)
EA:
24.1% (13:33/56:15)
Microsoft:
55.7% (49:52/1:29:35)
Ubisoft:
51,8% (1:00:35/2:00:00)
Sony:
70.6% (53:43/1:16:35)

% = of their time was spent on actually showing video games

Thoughts?
EA you awful.

If Sony can deliver more of the same, I'll be happy. I'd imagine MS will involve more talking this year because of Scorpio.

Nzyme32

I feel this misses a lot of context

For example Bethesda's can be much more meaningful as the time spent showing games is focused on a small subset and showing a large amount of them vs other conferences that are more on quantity, trailers that don't show much of any game at all or are highly scripted pieces.

So yeah, not really anything too interesting to me as a metric of "game shown" vs "talking"

Ea has been pulling Square Enix's lately, showing games years away from release (though not decades), which would explain why they didn't have shit to show.

Lmao EA what you doing
When you don't have games to show, things get a little hasty. They also saved a lot of Battlefield footage for their terrible celebrity event that followed the press conference.

One relevant fun fact - Microsoft and Sony actually showed an equal amount of gameplay, but Microsoft's show was thirty minutes longer.

Thewonandonly

Not really surprised.

EA especially as they tend to always have more talking than gameplay.
Ya no surprises guessed then all right. People give Microsoft a lot of shit but they have been doing preety good with there conferences since e3 with the Xbox one. I mean there no Sony who has knocked it out of the god damn park and into the parking lot. But Microsoft at least scores a homerun. While Ea is punting :(

Guevara

There's a balance.

I don't really care for the E3 presentations that are: "Now let's invite our partners up to walk through the most boring part of their upcoming boring game for 12 minutes."

Sony did a great job last time. Just trailer after trailer, with the occasional developer showing up to pitch the game. Weren't too many Sony execs taking up time, they kept it concise which is appreciated.

LycanXIII

Heard this on the Easy Allies podcast.

Try to guess! -> 70,6% / 55,7% / 51,8% / 50,2% /24,1%

Bethesda:
50,2%
EA:
24,1%
Microsoft:
55,7%
Ubisoft:
51,8%
Sony:
70,6%

% = of their time was spent on actually showing video games

Thoughts?
EA you awful.

The actual numbers, shout out to Ryan on the EZA Patreon for gathering all of this.

Sony: 70.6% (53:43/1:16:35) of their conference was spent on actual games
Xbox: 55.7% (49:52/1:29:35)
UBI: 51.8% (1:00:35/2:00:00)
BETHESDA: 50.2% (29:33/58:55)
EA: 24.1% (13:33/56:15)

Was Sony's really only 70%? According to the IGN YouTube channel Sony's show was 77 minutes last year, which means that they would have spent about 23 minutes talking. That doesn't sound right at all. Will maybe have to watch it again and see if that stacks up.

stuminus3

Banned
But how much Pac-Man was there?

PJr2gxj.png

brawly

The actual numbers, shout out to Ryan on the EZA Patreon for gathering all of this.

Sony: 70.6% (53:43/1:16:35) of their conference was spent on actual games
Xbox: 55.7% (49:52/1:29:35)
UBI: 51.8% (1:00:35/2:00:00)
BETHESDA: 50.2% (29:33/58:55)
EA: 24.1% (13:33/56:15)

Thanks! Added them to the OP.

UBI TALKED FOR 60 MINUTES

EA is pretty bad when it comes to personality void executives / producers talking about nonsense.

Literally everyone other then Peter Moore seemed like some kind of fake robot person.

Or Pele.

Was Sony's really only 70%? According to the IGN YouTube channel Sony's show was 77 minutes last year, which means that they would have spent about 23 minutes talking. That doesn't sound right at all. Will maybe have to watch it again and see if that stacks up.

Maybe the orchestra at the beginning of the conference takes up a chunk of that non-game time.

LordofPwn

Fascinating stuff. OP should fix those percentages though.

I'm going to guess that Sony will be slightly higher this year.
EA should be higher this year. Microsoft will be lower. Ubi and Bethesda should be around the same.

Also curious how good the Nintendo spotlight will be. 90% maybe?

EA kinda needs to constantly talk because they seem to never have enough gameplay footage; EA even said last year they never have enough time to show everything, but continued on with the fluff statements, over explaining, and dev dairies.

Mikey Jr.

23 minutes NOT on game footage.

Doesn't mean talking. Don't forget orchestra.

jett

D-Member
This is why EA's conference is garbage every year. Comes off like a buncha suits fighting for the spotlight.

Zedark

23 minutes NOT on game footage.

Doesn't mean talking. Don't forget orchestra.
And Layden did a small statement about the Orlando shooting as well.

Unless you pump trailer after trailer for the whole of the show, you will have significant downtime when you tall the separate transitions/talks.

Budi

I like the talking. If I just want a string of trailers, I can watch on my own time on youtube.

Me too on moderation, EA isn't doing it right. But Bethesda and their Fallout presentation was one of my favorites, without being actually excited about the game. But the style how it was shown pleased me.

Mooreberg

Wasn't hard to guess who had the lowest ratio. I don't know how anyone watches EA conferences after the one with Criterion employees standing around in a kitchen (did they ever actually release a game since then?).

Top Bottom