• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone calculated the % of "game shown" vs "talking" at the last E3

Kind of my thought as well. Plus there are plenty of instances where I'm more happy to hear creators talk about their plans/what they're thinking than see a trailer, especially if something is more than a year out.

But surely, isn't that what all the interviews and stuff after the conferences are for?

The conferences are shows. They're platforms for producers to show the passion projects they've been working on.

Unless it's some high concept stuff that requires a bit of preamble for the average gamer to be able to comprehend what he is seeing, a visual presentation is much more effective than words.

Half the time, devs come out and hype their game to kingdom come and then what is shown just doesn't live up to what they've hyped (see recent Destiny 2 reveal).

I'd much rather devs just introduce their games with a brief intro. (if needed) and show the damn game.

Even voice-overs whilst showing gameplay can be just as effective. Especially for more systems-based or mechanics-based games; e,g, MP focused.

ActWan

I'm not a small attention span baby, so I can listen to humans talk for 2 minutes before seeing a trailer.

That isn't really the problem for me, I just don't give two shits about most of the talkings, and they're mostly not really related to the games anyway.

Jonnax

If things like percentage of game trailer shown is what you care for, don't watch it live or recorded.
Just go to the company's youtube channels and watch the trailer videos.

eerik9000

still a garbage stadistic.

show the % of actual gameplay shown for each company. No speechs. No CGI. No "in-engine" trailers. No cutscenes.

Only count the time were there's actual gamelay on screen or, in other words, only count the video footage that is representative of what you're going to play when you buy the game (the camera should be the same that the one you're going to get, not some fancy camera angles, you should be able to see the character moving as you you will get to move him/her once you have the game, etc..)

Why stop there? Only count the footage that's from a retail copy being played on a retail unit.

It would be 0% for all.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That isn't really the problem for me, I just don't give two shits about most of the talkings, and they're mostly not really related to the games anyway.

They actually are. Look at how Ninja Theory talked about Hell Blade in the beginning. They were talking about mental illness and what motivated them to take this different business model for making the game.

That stuff is interesting to me and many others. I don't need pure trailers and gameplay only. I like to hear about their motivations.

If things like percentage of game trailer shown is what you care for, don't watch it live or recorded.
Just go to the company's youtube channels and watch the trailer videos.

Exactly my point! Thanks.

JusDoIt

No you don't get it at all and brand loyalty isn't a powerful drug.

At the E3 conference i want the executives and developers to talk some time. Learn about their business and vision going forward. That's what a show is for
Just long Gameplay trailer?
I can get that on YouTube just fine, or you can make a direct like Nintendo.

Hard to believe people have different tastes, isn't it?

I'm dying at wanting the executives to talk. My man gets hype and jumps out of his seat when he sees a sport coat over a t-shirt.

MTC100

Banned
Nintendo: 96%

It will be pretty close to that number yeah. I really think that EZA very often disregard Nintendo, most of them seem to be focused on western studios too. I know Nintendo has no press conference, they could still include their show though. It won't have less games shown than the MS one and probably the most amount of exclusives of them all.

Top Bottom