• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone calculated the % of "game shown" vs "talking" at the last E3

Banned
Heard this on the Easy Allies podcast.

Try to guess! -> 70,6% / 55,7% / 51,8% / 50,2% /24,1%

Bethesda:
50.2% (29:33/58:55)
EA:
24.1% (13:33/56:15)
Microsoft:
55.7% (49:52/1:29:35)
Ubisoft:
51,8% (1:00:35/2:00:00)
Sony:
70.6% (53:43/1:16:35)

% = of their time was spent on actually showing video games

Thoughts?
EA you awful.

Nintendo: 96%
Sony and Nintendo get it.

KHlover

Banned
EA pays players or trainers to talk about their life for 10 minutes to promote their sports games. No wonder they're so low.

CamHostage

Heh, I guessed almost totally correctly ... and then I realized that I had the percentages backwards and was wrong on pretty much everything.

(I thought last year was PS4 Pro for Sony and assumed it was a lot of box talk but I forgot that was a separate event much later in the year.)

Sony and Nintendo get it.

Sony has come a long way since the PS3 "Games + Movies = Cyber World" nonsense when it ended E3 2004 showing slides of how computers compute in order to sell the power of CELL processor and the yet-to-be-unveiled PS3. They almost spoiled the PSP reveal (which was already hurt by giving the final look at the system through some Incubus video playing on a PSP sitting on a table) with ten minutes of mind-numbing yattering about "Movie+Game - Cyber World - CELL Network".

kaigai006.jpg

https://youtu.be/cg-Zanga13Y?t=4016

Aters

I feel this misses a lot of context

For example Bethesda's can be much more meaningful as the time spent showing games is focused on a small subset and showing a large amount of them vs other conferences that are more on quantity, trailers that don't show much of any game at all or are highly scripted pieces.

So yeah, not really anything too interesting to me as a metric of "game shown" vs "talking"

Yep. Also it's perfectly fine for a dev to come out and explain what is shown in the trailer. The talk we don't want is manager talks.

I enjoy developers and producers talking about their games, they usually are passionate for their work and always is great to know who is behind the team. I truly believe gamers in general need to know more about the people who make games rather than just the name of the studio or publisher. Having people like Martin Sahlin or Sherida halatoe on stage just make this industry feel more human.

I also enjoy hosts like Aisha (the host needs to be someone related to games and that knows why is at that stage) or even when high executives stand and get close the the audience like when Guillemot presents the a new game or when Mike Ybarra explains new features like BC.

However, I hope publishers understand that balance is needed, I don't like when a executive stands and say for the n time things like expansing our portfolio, sharing bonds and etc. Those are important but don't spend much time on it. Also ditch those non-gaming related celebrities presentations like Pele's.

E3 is not jut a celebration of games but it's an opotunity to know and celebrate the people that makes games posible.

Edit: I need to play unravel today

Sayad

Was Sony's really only 70%? According to the IGN YouTube channel Sony's show was 77 minutes last year, which means that they would have spent about 23 minutes talking. That doesn't sound right at all. Will maybe have to watch it again and see if that stacks up.
It takes time for people to walk to the stage before they could show their games, that and the chitchat between games.

Aside from EAs usually 60min sports speal, 50% seems like an appropriate amount of time, which all of the publishers seem to be doing now. As much as I enjoy Sony's trailer after trailer format, I feel like they should talk more about their current years lineup and a little less showing off cgi trailers for games that don't even have a release date yet. Bethesda nailed their Fallout 4 E3 coverage, that's how you do E3
What was CGI? I thought it was mostly demos and trailers with in game footage either primarily(Last Guardian, or peppered in somewhere(Spider-Man).

And yet several praise the others for only focusing on games while bitching about Sony every time they utter a word.

Credit should go where credit is due. Sony has had consistently strong conferences for a few years in a row now, with less fluff and increasing focus on games.

Welfare

As long as the talk is interesting or even has gameplay in the background, I don't care. If you are just yammering on with no substance, get off the stage.

Interesting stats though. I think the conference should aim for around a 60:40 split.

Orca

And yet several praise the others for only focusing on games while bitching about Sony every time they utter a word.

Credit should go where credit is due. Sony has had consistently strong conferences for a few years in a row now, with less fluff and increasing focus on games.

I kind of think a part of the change is that without Tretton or fake CEO Kevin Butler, they don't have real stage presences to devote time to.

If Sony can deliver more of the same, I'll be happy. I'd imagine MS will involve more talking this year because of Scorpio.
I'd say one if the main reasons MS wasn't higher was that the announced the One S, Scorpio, that custom controller program, and backwards compatibility all during their E3 conference.

A lot more HW/system-level stuff than the average conference.

Probably about the same this year, considering how much people expect them to blow out Scorpio.

Remember when Ubisoft let James Cameron talk about Avatar for twenty straight minutes and then he didn't even show any of the movie or game?

Sanke__

I feel this misses a lot of context

For example Bethesda's can be much more meaningful as the time spent showing games is focused on a small subset and showing a large amount of them vs other conferences that are more on quantity, trailers that don't show much of any game at all or are highly scripted pieces.

So yeah, not really anything too interesting to me as a metric of "game shown" vs "talking"

It is very representative of the basics though

EA did a bad job
Sony did a good job

Anything else is in the need more information category

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's good to see that Sony is improving but I still can't stomach myself to watch them live so I watch the highlight and end up skipping the parts that I am not interested in.

Furthermore I don't really like how they have a person standing on stage "playing" the game in silent and personally prefer the treehouse approach that Nintendo does.

Talking is bad?

So I guess the Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy VII remakes talking portions blew.

Well neither of those games have been released yet, plus one was a kickstarter pledge that had no business being at Sony E3 conference.

Not much to talk about when they had one game to show.

No they didn't, they showed off quite a few 3DS games just that Breath of the Wild took the bulk of the show and was the only playable game on the show floor.

dkeane

It's insane that Nintendo spent a majority of their time only showing the very first area of Zelda and it was still better than most other presentations. Shows how great Breath of the Wild turned out.

eerik9000

I would like to dispute the correctness of these percentages. The same guy also claimed that God of War demo was 7 minutes, while it was actually just a little under 10 minutes.

Official upload (9:58)
Press conference recording (demo starts at 34:48, ends 44:28, lenght 9 minutes 40 seconds)

Even if you trim down logos and title screens, it is still over 9 minutes.

Top Bottom