• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

Wallach

brain_stew said:
Well if it offers even 2xmsaa quality with practically no performance cost then its worthwile. You can use it in conjunction with MSAA as well you realise, right?

Can someone try getting some screen captures by running games in Windowed mode and using the Windows 7 snipping tool, please? It should work just fine.

It's not awful at all, but there is definitely a downside in respect to small/fine detail. For example, the Steam overlay is pretty gross with this enabled. I don't think I would bother running this alongside MSAA for that reason.

On the plus side, it really doesn't seem to cause any performance loss that I can tell.

JADS

brain_stew said:
Can someone try getting some screen captures by running games in Windowed mode and using the Windows 7 snipping tool, please? It should work just fine.

Good call, that seems to work. One is without MLAA and one with, can you guess the correct one :lol ?

gillty

Banned
brain_stew said:
snipping tool works!

quick sample:
valrumlaasp2d.png

Dennis

Banned
Both Dead Space and Final Fantasy benefits enormously from the MLAA as the pics show.

Great reduction in aliasing.

The main concern is a blurring effect on the textures.

Dennis

Banned
Backfoggen said:
I could bite myself in the ass so hard right now for buying an Nvidia card. :lol
If this turns out to be really great, Nvidia will not doubt implement it for your card.

Dalauz

OMG IS WORKING IN NEW VEGAS

NVIDIA SHOULD RECYCLE EVERY SINGLE VIDEOCARD AND MAKE BOXES FOR OUR NEW ATI OVERLORD GPU'S

edit: hype behind, I get some messed IQ when motion blur thick in

M3d10n

Metalmurphy said:
So you can't do it on HD 48xx cards now... But will it ever be possible?
This is clearly a model 5.0 compute shader, which are much more flexible than model 4 compute shaders. Much likely the algorithm cannot be done with the limited CS 4.0 feature set.

For the HD 4xxx cards, they'd need a different post process AA, which might not look the same and not perform as well.

Anyway, this is a great example of the advantages of DirectX 11 (other than tessellation), which brings hope for all games which rely on deferred rendering/lighting but have to give up fast AA as a trade-off.

I'd also love to see how this would perform on the low end DX11 cards (HD 55xx, 54xxx) compared to standard MSAA: these cards are often heavily bandwidth constrained, and it's possible MLAA is actually usable on them (unlike MSAA).

M3d10n said:
This is clearly a model 5.0 compute shader, which are much more flexible than model 4 compute shaders. Much likely the algorithm cannot be done with the limited CS 4.0 feature set.

For the HD 4XXX cards, they'd need a different post process AA, which might not look the same and not perform as well.

Or it could be the current implementation is a compute 5 shader because it is intended as a feature for the 6xxx cards and they havent backported it yet.

If anyone spots a mod online could they please PM them so we can get the thread title changed, thanks.

They just need to mention that it is up and running on all 5xxx series cards.

FoxSpirit

Nabs said:
oh shit, it works. well.

tried it with bionic commando. can't take screenshots though :(

Window mode, snipping tool. Do it.

toasty_T said:
I see the mlaa option and i ticked the box. How do I actually use it though? Do I enable AA in the game?

Simply tag the MLAA option and the "use apllication settings" box. Done.

Nabs said:
oh shit, it works. well.

tried it with bionic commando. can't take screenshots though :(

Windowed mode + snipping tool! :D

I'd like to see pics of Bionic Commando as it suffered from some pretty bad aliasing and there's no way at all to force MSAA.

toasty_T said:
I see the mlaa option and i ticked the box. How do I actually use it though? Do I enable AA in the game?

Nope thats all you need. Its even independent of the "use application settings" checkbox so you can use it with ingame settings if you want. You can even enable AA ingame and have the MLAA run on top if it if it.

Dalauz

toasty_T said:
i didnt enable it in New Vegas and worked, just force it from drivers.

it work AMAZING

edit: 5770 Vapor-X

M3d10n said:

For the HD 4xxx cards, they'd need a different post process AA, which might not look the same and not perform as well.

Anyway, this is a great example of the advantages of DirectX 11 (other than tessellation), which brings hope for all games which rely on deferred rendering/lighting but have to give up fast AA as a trade-off.

I'd also love to see how this would perform on the low end DX11 cards (HD 55xx, 54xxx) compared to standard MSAA: these cards are often heavily bandwidth constrained, and it's possible MLAA is actually usable on them (unlike MSAA).

It could be an absolutely perfect solution for the upcoming APUs. They're going to pack plenty of shading power but they'll still have to operate within tight bandwidth constraints, it seems like a perfect fit.

brain_stew said:
It could be an absolutely perfect solution for the upcoming APUs. They're going to back plenty of shading power but they'll still have to operate within tight bandwidth constraints, it seems like a perfect fit.

That might be what initially motivated them to do this.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
That might be what initially motivated them to do this.

Integrated graphics capable of running high end games at medium/high settings in HD (720p/1280x800/1360x768) with near perfect AA, the mind boggles.

Netbooks capable of playing modern games in HD without aliasing. So good.

Steam's ATI update sucks :\

mr_nothin said:
Ok...Holy Crap @ GTAIV with MLAA
Some of the background stuff is still aliased but :O

Got this working on my 5770! Runs great! No performance diff with it on/off for me

I did the same thing
+1000000 on the SC2 comment

For you guys that are confused about what to do, Here's my procedure:

i have the same card. will try.

A screenshot request.

Try taking some shots demonstrating far draw distances with lots of thin polygons (foliage, overhead wires that sort of thing) in the distance as this should really test the algorithm. Example games could be GTA4, Crysis, Borderlands or Far Cry 2.

Take these shots with:

No AA
MLAA
4xmsaa
4xmsaa + MLAA

Should really clear up a few things. If you've got time to add 2xmsaa and 8xmsaa shots (with and without MLAA) then by all means add them as well.

Thanks for anyone that obliges me! :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Got this to work after a restart :D
Works wonders with The Last Remnant. Though it makes all the menus blurry, sort of how FF12's menus look when you have the blur filter on. Not a super big deal really.

Also, what does Surface Format Optimization do, exactly? D:

Easy_D said:
Works wonders with The Last Remnant. Though it makes all the menus blurry, sort of how FF12's menus look when you have the blur filter on. Not a super big deal really.

Catalyst AI used to include an optimization that reduced the precision of texture filturing in certain situations for performance reasons. The only way to disable it was to disable catalyst AI which would disable a bunch of other stuff so it wasnt an ideal option. People complained so AMD made it a seperate option.

Easy_D said:

Makes a few games use FP11 instead of FP16 in order to claw back performance for minimal IQ loss. It only affects like half a dozen games though and unless you're anal about IQ, I'd leave it ticked.

-----------------------------------

The effect it has on the HUD really does appear to be the one major drawback. The ever so slight blur it adds to the rest of the image is a none-issue as far as I'm concerned, almost takes away that "rendered" look which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm usually against destructive blur filters but this is so slight and the edges so smooth, I really don't mind, especially since it comes with virtually no performance hit.

It really is as close to a silver bullet as we're ever going to get. Fantastic stuff and Nvidia are going to compare very poorly if they don't match this.

FoxSpirit

Valru, thanks you SO much :D

When I turn up my monitor sharpness to 100% it looks perfect. Guess we should also get a minimal sharpening filter as an option as well. Can't wait for it to work on my 4850 :D

Ashes

Banned
@starcraft pic.. little bit of blurring but the jaggies gone almost completely... Holy hell, at some of the other pics.... Got Damn!

I just realised that this should reduce aliasing on shadows as well since it applies to the whole image.

Anyone got any shots with deep shadows in a bright environment that would normally suffer from severe aliasing to compare? Something like Prince of Persia or Assasin's Creed would be a good example. I'm not expecting much, but its worth looking into to see if it helps at all. Jaggy shadows are such an eyesore.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
jett said:
Yes, accept your new MLAA overlords! PS3 owners knew this back in March. :p
Hahah, GOW III seriously blew my mind with that sexy MLAA. Great to see it up and running on current ATI cards. The pics alone are amazing...seems like the aliasing is almost completely gone/much improved. MLAA FTMFW.

alf717

I've had zero success with installing drivers on top or other drivers. I still feel the Steam driver update thing is a waste of time and bandwidth. 117MB downloaded and I know the second I give the go ahead my system will get nurfed.

For each driver upgrade I have to use the uninstall function then a driver cleaner than apply the new drivers.

I wonder if MLAA can be applied to the Wii or 3DS in someway. Hopefully this catches on and it is used next gen. Jaggies are so the 90's

jett

D-Member
If only this was available on my 4670... I can run most games at 1080p without issues, although with no AA. I wouldn't need to upgrade my cars for years to come. :p

Nabs

i'm in windowed mode with bionic, and now im not so sure about the mlaa. i'll keep testing it with this.

brain_stew said:
A screenshot request.

Try taking some shots demonstrating far draw distances with lots of thin polygons (foliage, overhead wires that sort of thing) in the distance as this should really test the algorithm. Example games could be GTA4, Crysis, Borderlands or Far Cry 2.

Take these shots with:

No AA
MLAA
4xmsaa
4xmsaa + MLAA

Should really clear up a few things. If you've got time to add 2xmsaa and 8xmsaa shots (with and without MLAA) then by all means add them as well.

Thanks for anyone that obliges me! :D

Repeating my request for those that missed it.

teiresias

This will be more useful when it's integrated into the workflow and doesn't affect the GUI elements. SC2 looks sketchy with it, not sure I could stand looking at it that way.

jett said:
If only this was available on my 4670... I can run most games at 1080p without issues, although with no AA. I wouldn't need to upgrade my cars for years to come. :p

This is why I was actually worried about this ever turning up! :lol

If integrated graphics are now going to be offering way more than "good enough" AA in all games, then there goes one of the major motivations for people to buy higher end cards.

If Nvidia support this on GTX 2xx series cards, then my GTX 260 is going to last a lot longer than I thought.

Truespeed

Additionally, the benefit of having a game do the MLAA is that it can do the post processing on the image and then overlay the HUD without subjecting it to the downsides of MLAA.

Top Bottom