• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No thanks, unless there is an abundance of foliage in the scene, I notice blurry textures WAY more than I notice jaggy edges. Cheap AA methods always mess up the textures so much.

pestul

lol.. looks like it's working for some and not others. Strange. My gut tells me this new method (Guru3d) probably works, but the steps are so involved user error is just kicking in. Btw, I think this method only works for 5xxx series cards.

Can't wait to get home from work now to try it out!

1-D_FTW

So ATI has scaling for overscan on HDTVs (and not the broken creation of Frankenstein resolutions that don't work in games).

This AA (even though I'm skeptical in general, a game like GTA 4 could use it when the lighting is cranked to max. Driving under bridges is pretty jagged).

And they're supporting 3D now.

Kind of wish I'd held off on my GTX 460 purchase now. Seems like Nvidia is falling significantly behind in the features that I value.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
brain_stew said:
Confirmed to work in GTA 4 and without any noticeable FPS hit! :D

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1485601&postcount=43

Now, I'm jealous!
Well, I was on the fence over whether I should upgrade my GTX275 to a HD6870, this has tipped the argument.

That said, I am still going to wait a month. Prices are good now, but Nvidia responded by reducing the price of the GTX470 immediately, so I am fully expecting a price war to break out. I am holding out for a £150 HD6870, I am confident I will get one for that price.

Anyway, while MLAA is a cheap trick, like most illusions, most people cannot tell the difference between it and "real" AA, so it is a very, very useful too, especially for games like GTA 4, Dead Space etc that do not allow for AA (or only allow Super Sampling at great cost).

pestul

yagi said:
Ok, Morph.AA does NOT work with HD4000 series. I managed to turn it on, but all I got was bunch of artifacts, and few black screens. It makes me a sad panda.

jakshi said:
I edited my guide, there a two different inf files one is in
\Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Driv ers\Display\W7_INF\ the other in
\Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Driv ers\Display\W76A_INF\

It's working for me, but GTA IV is very blurry imho!

Bummer, guy at B3D basically said he couldn't notice the difference between MLAA and the traditional methods of AA.. we'll all get to test it real soon anyway.

JADS

mr_nothin said:
Me too...so much installing/uninstalling/reinstalling. This better work!

My AA settings are greyed out. Some people claim that they got it working though.

Edit: IT WORKS

vazel

Banned
Dammit why did my 4850 have to cause me so much grief even after reformats and different driver versions and an RMA. I sold it and replaced it with a gts250. Hopefully nvidia implements MLAA too otherwise I'm going to get an AMD 6 series card.

Edit: Oh it's probably not coming to 4850 anyway.

pestul said:
Bummer, guy at B3D basically said he couldn't notice the difference between MLAA and the traditional methods of AA.. we'll all get to test it real soon anyway.

I don't see why that's a bad thing. MLAA is practically free and should have universal support, whereas MSAA comes with a huge performance penalty and support is spotty at best.

pestul

brain_stew said:
I don't see why that's a bad thing. MLAA is practically free and should have universal support, whereas MSAA comes with a huge performance penalty and support is spotty at best.
Oh, in my quote above, a user got it working on his 5870 with the workaround but he claims that GTA4 was quite blurry as opposed to the B3D claims.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
brain_stew said:
GOW3 performs MLAA on the PS3's SPEs, not on RSX.

so it's a shader solution for AMD?

Whatever, they have no excuses anyway, since it must be cheap for SPEs too :lol

pestul said:

Thats the whole point of MLAA, it approximates MSAA without the massive bandwidth requirement and without blurring textures too much like other post process AA implementations.

mr_nothin

Banned
pestul said:
Oh, in my quote above, a user got it working on his 5870 with the workaround but he claims that GTA4 was quite blurry as opposed to the B3D claims.
Did you try changing the MLF_NA registry after you did the other method too?
Some ppl had to do that to stop the option from being greyed out.

Metalmurphy said:
So you can't do it on HD 48xx cards now... But will it ever be possible?

I am guessing If AMD wants to they could do it can easily, it just wont work with hacked 6xxx drivers because the hardware is to different.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Thats is true but I believe AMD has a tool that you can use to apply it to an already captured screenshot.
I thought that one was distributed only to press dudes.
Anyway if someone's got a capturing device, we need some GTA 4/Dead Space pics. :lol

JADS

mr_nothin said:
Did you try changing the MLF_NA registry after you did the other method too?
Some ppl had to do that to stop the option from being greyed out.

I nuked the entire 0000 registry folder and reinstalled the driver. That did the trick for me.
Edit: You guys should see SC2 with this :D

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
derFeef said:
Aha, God of War 3, okay, it looks good. But MLAA is implemented with the technology in mind here. Those shots shots show nothing except that it looks nice. I really want to see a highres, non compressed image with MLAA on and off with AMD´s solution.
I can give you a program to just run MLAA on any screenshot you want (with options to show you differences). Would that work?

mr_nothin

Banned
Ok...Holy Crap @ GTAIV with MLAA
Some of the background stuff is still aliased but :O

Got this working on my 5770! Runs great! No performance diff with it on/off for me

JADS said:
I nuked the entire 0000 registry folder and reinstalled the driver. That did the trick for me.
I did the same thing
+1000000 on the SC2 comment

For you guys that are confused about what to do, Here's my procedure:
Download this file - http://www.mediafire.com/?m45q04k70m4d28i
Download the hotfix - http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU84AMDCatalyst1010aHotfix.aspx

Extract the hotfix
Extract the MLAA INF.rar file

Then just follow this:
Copy CW106976.inf to \Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Pac kages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\

Copy C7106976.inf to \Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\

Now start the setup and the function should be unlocked in CCC.

mr_nothin said:
Ok...Holy Crap @ GTAIV with MLAA
Some of the background stuff is still aliased but :O

Got this working on my 5770! Runs great! No performance diff with it on/off for me

Oh its on now! :D

You don't happen to have a capture device do you. Some offscreen shots will suffice for now.

pestul

JADS said:
Yes! I'm guessing you'll need to take photos of the screen (lol) or a capture card to be able to show the effects..

Oh, and to the question about erasing the folder. I haven't been able to test this myself as I'm at work. :/

Wallach

pestul said:
Guessing the ETA on a recompiled 10.10 hotfix driver with MLAA integration for 5xxx is <1hr. :D

I hope so. I am feeling mega lazy today, I can't really be arsed to fuck around with my registry. :lol

If anyone that has got it working is able to write up some easy to follow instructions that would be helpful as I can add them to the op and hopefully a mod can change the title to "now working on 5xxx series cards" or something.

jett

D-Member
subversus said:
so it's a shader solution for AMD?

Whatever, they have no excuses anyway, since it must be cheap for SPEs too :lol

They really don't have any excuse, as Sony has made the MLAA code available to everyone on the PS3 SDK. If a multiplatform game doesn't have MLAA on the PS3 chalk it up to ineptitude or laziness. Castlevania for instance would have improved its visual quality tenfold with it. :/

DEO3

What the fuck how can this be real? Free anti-aliasing, that works with alpha channel textures, in any game, and it's all available through a driver update? What the fuck, how can this be real???????

Wallach

mr_nothin said:
Hell I'll do a quick .rar file of my setup :D
Give me 5 mins

Nah it's alright I'm doing it anyway because I haven't even installed 10.10 yet.

I'll get some FRAPS screens for you guys of Crysis and Fallout: NV. Hope this works.

mr_nothin

Banned
brain_stew said:
Oh its on now! :D

You don't happen to have a capture device do you. Some offscreen shots will suffice for now.
Sorry I dont but MLAA @ basically no performance cost is D: I dont see any extra blurring either. Had to make sure I had MLAA enabled and not MSAA. It looks to be somewhere between 4x and 8x AA.

Very smooth....
Man this is AWESOME

Wallach said:
Nah it's alright I'm doing it anyway because I haven't even installed 10.10 yet.

I'll get some FRAPS screens for you guys of Crysis and Fallout: NV. Hope this works.
Fraps wont work with this.

pestul said:
Great, oh and make sure you specify whether it's the 32/64bit version or not.
I dont think there's a separation of the 32/64 bit versions of the hotfix. It's only 1 download I think. AMD didnt specify.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Jesus, this is almost silver bullet territory.
Almost, there are still a number of issues. Its a very good solution, very happy someone made this work on the graphics card and so well as a CPU solution is too slow for most people.

They really don't have any excuse, as Sony has made the MLAA code available to everyone on the PS3 SDK. If a multiplatform game doesn't have MLAA on the PS3 chalk it up to ineptitude or laziness. Castlevania for instance would have improved its visual quality tenfold with it. :/
That's not true. You need 4 SPUs for 5 ms each. That can be significant for a lot of games. Whereas this solution is 0.5ms on the GPU which isn't noticeable.

JADS

mr_nothin said:
Sorry I dont but the difference between no AA and MLAA is D:
Especially at basically no performance cost. I dont see any extra blurring either. Had to make sure I had MLAA enabled and not MSAA. It looks to be somewhere between 4x and 8x AA.

Very smooth....
Man this is AWESOME

I dont think there's a separation of the 32/64 bit versions of the hotfix. It's only 1 download I think. AMD didnt specify.

Hahhaa same here :lol . I notice a little blurring when I almost have my face pressed against the screen, it's nowhere near as apparent as the Wide Tent Filters.

Edit: I am so downloading Crysis right now and play through that again.

mr_nothin

Banned
JADS said:
Hahhaa same here :lol . I notice a little blurring when I almost have my face pressed against the screen, it's nowhere near as apparent as the Wide Tent Filters.

Edit: I am so downloading Crysis right now and play through that again.
Dont you mean istalling Crysis? Dont want to get banned :p

I'm about to start up Crysis right now! Oh man this should be great :D :D

Here's the link to the MLAA "patch" already done to the hotfix:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5h6cpooivo4sbox

This is for Radeon 5xxx cards. Dont know if it'll work for anything else.

Wallach said:

Won't work. You'll either have to use a capture card or get your hands on AMD's screenshot tool somehow.

Actually could someone try the screenshot fucntion built into EVGA Precision? I know its able to take shots of some games which FRAPs can't.

pestul

mr_nothin said:
Sorry I dont but MLAA @ basically no performance cost is D: I dont see any extra blurring either. Had to make sure I had MLAA enabled and not MSAA. It looks to be somewhere between 4x and 8x AA.

Very smooth....
Man this is AWESOME

F'ing sick! Someone try enabling MLAA and a little MSAA (say 2x) and see what it does.. just out of curiosity. ;)

Top Bottom