• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

JADS

10.10 is up. I have it installed, no MLAA yet on 5xxxx cards. Let's hope the next hotfix has it :D. Some nice performance enhancements for 5xxxx cards according to the release notes. Up to 9% in Warhead with AA enabled. Seems that AMD also has a version up that comes with the OpenCL drivers.

amd, huh? well, when I play Dark Void on my nvidia card, there is more smoke because of physx!

:/

what in the fuck is a dark void

also, The Saboteur PS3 was the one that used MLAA, right?

stuminus3

mr_nothin said:
Looks as good as a PC game D:
Yea I said it!
I'll back you up on this. Even the 360 didn't impress me at launch after being on the higher end of the PC enthusiast scale for so long, so I found the PS3 painfully unimpressive when I finally got one earlier this year.

Then I played God of War 3. :-O

On topic: I hope this hotfix is out quickly, I'm really eager to see this.

derFeef

10.10a is live.
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU84AMDCatalyst1010aHotfix.aspx

# Performance optimizations for systems with an AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 and AMD Radeon HD 6850 series of graphics products installed

* Support for the new Morphological Anti-Aliasing feature
* Aliens versus Predator performance enhancements
* Star Craft 2 performance enhancements
* OpenGL performance enhancements – gains can be seen in Prey, Quake Wars: Enemy Territories, and Heaven v2.1

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not to go OT, but GoWIII really was stupidly good looking. I played through and was really wowed at many turns, but seeing it back again in stills is really impressive. Thanks to whoever made them.

Luigiv said:
I'm using whatever the in game option is I guess. Looks fine to me. Much better then that MLAA at the very least.

Time for a visit to the optician. The edge blurring in Dead Space is terrible.

gofreak said:
I guess you can also make choices about your buffers that 'suit' this method that may go a bit deeper than just turning it on or off for different buffers. And you can probably also tweak it to best suit the typical edges and edge contrast in your game too. (If applying it as part of your rendering pipeline vs at a driver level, I mean).

The bolded is still possible with a driver based solution (see: Nvidia's driver forced SSAO) but it won't be common.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
brain_stew said:
Confirmed to work in GTA 4 and without any noticeable FPS hit! :D

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1485601&postcount=43

Now, I'm jealous!
phillipsqf08.gif

Binabik15

Minsc said:
For games like Crysis and Metro 2033 where you don't have to do much reading, this is really going to shine. For your text & UI heavy strategy games, not so much.

Playing on my tv I can hardly read the text in Dragon Age as it is :/ Is there a menu option hidden somewhere, a mod or something to increase text size (perfect thread to ask, eh :D)? I had the desktop set to 140% zoom originaly, but that screwed with mouse positioning in Crysis.

And THANKS again, GAF, now I have to get GTA4* or better yet, the apperently less shitty DLC games AND GOW3.

*PS3 version here, oh god, make it stop.

Septimus

Awesome! Can't wait for it to be supported on my 5770. And OT but that up close picture of Kratos is nuts. That's gotta be the best character model I've ever seen.
Edit: Shit something's wrong with my avatar, dammit.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Since it's not heavy on GPU devs have no excuse for not implementing this on PS3.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU NINJA THEORY
it was probably too late for Enslaved

Hopefully this comes out for the 4xxx series cards. There are an awful lot of us still rolling with the 4800's. I also need to see how this works in gta 4. It's the most aliased game I own and this could completely change the overall image quality for a game like that.

pestul

Hmm, I wonder if its simply turned off in registry for the 5xxx series in the 10.10a hotfix driver.. hang on, because I'm sure there are a few testing it. I asked someone to look into it over at Rage3d.

Crayon

subversus said:
Since it's not heavy on GPU devs have no excuse for not implementing this on PS3.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU NINJA THEORY
it was probably too late for Enslaved

I'm no expert but mlaa may not be that easy to graft on top of your ue3 middleware. Especially if it involves giving special treatment to one sku.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
pestul said:
Hmm, I wonder if its simply turned off in registry for the 5xxx series in the 10.10a hotfix driver.. hang on, because I'm sure there are a few testing it. I asked someone to look into it over at Rage3d.

Maybe it works but they haven't had time to QA it on older hardware.

pestul

This is the thread I was speaking of..

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336400848#post1336400848

zulu-man said:
You can try to add MLAA manually:
Start the Regedit (/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000) and look for MLF_NA. So change 1 to 0 and restart the CCC.
If MLF_NA is not available: Add it (and under UMD)!

Anyone brave enough to test it here with a 5xxx series card?

Edit:
zulu-man said:
Yes, it works.

Wondering if it actually does or does it just add the tickbox to Catalyst Control Centre.

Dennis

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Won't SSAA cause ALOT more then a 70% FPS reduction?

*edit* Wait... I think you read that post wrong :p
Yep, I read that wrong. The framerate drop was when AA is also enabled the in-game setting.

So MLAA can be implemented in GTA IV for next to no cost it seems.

JADS

Some other person said:
Start the downloaded file and extract to a folder.
Go to directory(where you extracted)\Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Pac kages\Drivers\Display\ and open CW106976.inf

Now download this .txt file http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...5&postcount=18. Now select with Ctrl+A and copy the modded lines into the inf.
Do the same with C7106976.inf in \Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Driv ers\Display\W76A_INF\.

Now start the setup and the function should be unlocked in CCC.

Edit: People in the PCGH forum say GTA IV is working with MLAA! - http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3746055&postcount=14

Testing this now

Top Bottom