• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

brain_stew said:
I'd be shocked if there doesn't end up a way of enabling this on 5xxx series cards. AMD are going to have to do it anyway since they're rebadging 57xx cards into 67xx series cards, just wait for an unofficial tweak to pop up. Radeon Pro will probably build in support.
i hope so. i'd love to see GTA4 and Dead Space with some clean edges.

and it'd be great to see crysis with clean foliage AND clean geometry rather than either or.

FoxSpirit

This works on everything in Starcraft 2 and I WILL buy.

Seriously, my next buy is solely dependant on Starcraft 2 performance >.<

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Aquavelvaman said:
If next gen has the AA of this gen's bullshots I would be very happy.

well since this gen doesn't even have the AA of last gen's bullshots ( for example the bullshots of DOA / NG on xbox ) soo I doubt it

AlStrong said:
That's not what the slide is claiming at all.

Apparently the slide was lying! :lol

MLAA comes pretty much for "free" judging by the early test results we are getting, heaven knows what was going on with that slide.

UPDATE:

Its the real deal! :D

It has practically no noticeable impact on performance at all and the results, while slightly destructive, are still very good indeed.

morphological%20aa.png

morphological%20aa%20comparo.gif

The one real "gotcha" is that it affects the HUD as wel, not surprising since its a post-process after the fact and not integrated into the game's rendering pipeline but not ideal either. Here's a gif to demonstrate the effect.

morphological%20aa%20text.gif

derFeef said:
Oh my, awesome. Here is hoping they put it in the drivers for the 5800 cards as well (at least).

Its achived with a simple Direct Compute shader so there's no technical reason it can't run on 5xxx series cards, if AMD prevent it, then that's because of marketing reasons, not technical reasons. If AMD don't officially support it, then we should get unofficial support, probably through RadeonPro.

Since its just a compute shader I wonder if some enterprising individual tries to hack in Nvidia support! :lol

Binabik15

derFeef said:
Oh my, awesome. Here is hoping they put it in the drivers for the 5800 cards as well (at least).

This has to come to the 58XX series or I´ll, uhm, I´ll boycott AMD! Yeah, that´ll show them!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If it turns out to be decent enough and Nvidia doesnt implement this, I am in AMD camp next time!

jett

D-Member
brain_stew said:
Its achived with a simple Direct Compute shader so there's no technical reason it can't run on 5xxx series cards, if AMD prevent it, then that's because of marketing reasons, not technical reasons. If AMD don't officially support it, then we should get unofficial support, probably through RadeonPro.

Since its just a compute shader I wonder if some enterprising individual tries to hack in Nvidia support! :lol

Any chance this could be made to run on my old ass 4670? :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Someone should do comparison picks for Mass Effect 2. I'm curious what this looks like on something with really big and detailed models.

pestul

Sounds promising, but it needs to go through a lot of maturing based on those screenshots. I have excellent vision and I'm very sensitive to blurring caused by AA.. I would rather have no AA than that blurry mess.

nib95

Banned
I'll take it please! I find on such screens with such resolutions the blurring ins't too bad at all. If anything it can make things look cleaner sometimes.

Nirolak said:
Yeah, it definitely looks fantastic when you build it into the engine. I'm just curious if they can get close when doing it as an external post processing effect.

Its still nothing more than a post processing filter in GOW3, though, its just applied bbefore HUD elements are overlayed, that's all.

While its externally forced like this, its likely always going to have the issue with HUD elements and texts but since its nothing more than a simple compute shader, integrating it into any DX11 engine should be a piece of cake and I suspect this will be AMD's approach with the algorithm now. Integrating it into a DX11 engine means universal support but AMD still benefit because the specific implementation used will be supremely optimised for their hardware. Any game that implements the shader natively won't have the HUD blurring problem.

Luigiv

If you have a 5xxx or 6xxx series card, why would you be playing said MRT utilising games in DX9 mode in the first place?

I've got AA, no problems, in Dead Space.

JADS

Luigiv said:
If you have a 5xxx or 6xxx series card, why would you be playing said MRT utilising games in DX9 mode in the first place?

I've got AA, no problems, in Dead Space.

Because the AA in Dead Space is far from perfect and not applied to all surfaces ( I assume you are using the Darkstalkers trick?)

Luigiv

JADS said:
Because the AA in Dead Space is far from perfect and not applied to all surfaces ( I assume you are using the Darkstalkers trick?)
I'm using whatever the in game option is I guess. Looks fine to me. Much better then that MLAA at the very least.

JADS

Luigiv said:
I'm using whatever the in game option is I guess. Looks fine to me. Much better then that MLAA at the very least.

Notice how Isaac's suit, the guy that is hanging from the ceiling and some of the valve thingys ahead are still aliased. That's sadly how the game looks for me when using the ingame AA option.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
brain_stew said:
Its still nothing more than a post processing filter in GOW3, though, its just applied bbefore HUD elements are overlayed, that's all.

I guess you can also make choices about your buffers that 'suit' this method that may go a bit deeper than just turning it on or off for different buffers. And you can probably also tweak it to best suit the typical edges and edge contrast in your game too. (If applying it as part of your rendering pipeline vs at a driver level, I mean).

JADS said:
Notice how Isaac's suit, the guy that is hanging from the ceiling and some of the valve thingys ahead are still aliased. That's sadly how the game looks for me when using the ingame AA option.
That's some pretty minor aliasing. I wondered what I was trying to see for a while (the valves are more obvious).

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Aeana said:
Ew... it really destroys the UI elements in SC2. That's too bad. :(
Probably going to destroy the UI elements in all games unless its built into the engine sadly. Saboteur had this issue.

M3d10n

What I like about this news is that AMD finally their drivers to run custom D3D shaders after the games are rendered. If this can be hacked, we can load whatever post processing shader we want.

(Ages ago the Radon drivers supported custom shaders for OpenGL games, which I used for all kinds of amusement).

John_B

brain_stew said:
And along came new awesome technology that completely vanished old stupid technology.

That guy at Intel deserves a medal. This will become the de facto standard over a few years. And by next generation, pretty much every console game will have Anti-Aliasing implemented. A feat that I personally thought the industry was far from achieving owing to the nature of conventional Anti-Aliasing technology.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
John_B said:
And along came new awesome technology that completely vanished old stupid technology.

That guy at Intel deserves a medal. This will become the de facto standard over a few years. And by next generation, pretty much every console game will have Anti-Aliasing implemented. A feat that I personally thought the industry was far from achieving owing to the nature of conventional Anti-Aliasing technology.
You should see God of War 3. For old tech in the PS3, it looks amazing.

pestul

Seems us 5xxx and perhaps older generations are going to benefit from this very soon in a 10.10 hotfix driver. We won't have to wait for the hacks. :D

Binabik15

pestul said:
Seems us 5xxx and perhaps older generations are going to benefit from this very soon in a 10.10 hotfix driver. We won't have to wait for the hacks. :D

I´m almost through Crysis, but with MLAA added to my 5850 I´d play it again right away :D Better foliage? Maximum boner. Plus easily "forcing" AA? I lurv AMD for this!

PS: I still need to get GOW3, thanks for making me spend money :/

Anony

i'm using ATT (ati tray tools) as opposed to ati's catalyst software

i hope i can use this 'radeonpro' software

Minsc

Gold Member
Binabik15 said:
I´m almost through Crysis, but with MLAA added to my 5850 I´d play it again right away :D Better foliage? Maximum boner. Plus easily "forcing" AA? I lurv AMD for this!

PS: I still need to get GOW3, thanks for making me spend money :/

For games like Crysis and Metro 2033 where you don't have to do much reading, this is really going to shine. For your text & UI heavy strategy games, not so much.

LiquidMetal14

Just for another few example of God of War 3 MLAA......

Stillmatic said:
I bought a Hauppauge HD PVR today and was keen to do some testing, so i booted up the 'big 3' on the PS3.

God of War 3 - all during gameplay
gow1juir.png

gow3d6xy.png

34zll6h.jpg

xnuo36.jpg

dlrkhd.jpg
Credit to the quoted user.

derFeef

Aha, God of War 3, okay, it looks good. But MLAA is implemented with the technology in mind here. Those shots shots show nothing except that it looks nice. I really want to see a highres, non compressed image with MLAA on and off with AMD´s solution.

LiquidMetal14

derFeef said:
Aha, God of War 3, okay, it looks good. But MLAA is implemented with the technology in mind here. Those shots shots show nothing except that it looks nice. I really want to see a highres, non compressed image with MLAA on and off with AMD´s solution.
You right :lol Oh well, at least we get to see how nice it looks :p

scitek

pestul said:

Oh god, then I can finally play through GTA4. Right now, I just can't touch it.

Domstercool

Can anyone get these 10.10 drivers? I try to get to the website and I can see they are up, but in a second it just flashes to some language option white page :(

Domstercool said:
Can anyone get these 10.10 drivers? I try to get to the website and I can see they are up, but in a second it just flashes to some language option white page :(

Downloaded just fine for me.

Top Bottom