• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

I'll tell you what definitely needs some work before the final product hits shelves...

vjWSrWO.png

Dat Wander face. :|

...I can't figure out if I'm looking at a lot of upper lip or protruding teeth. I'm guessing the former?

On the bright side, that's an accurate portrayal of my expression when I realized the trailer was for SotC! Wide eyes and lots of upper lip.

Liamc723

I dont get what is odd about this.

Its a game people love so it got a remake,same with FF7,Crash and Ratchet and Clank.

I haven't heard anyone clamouring for a remake of this game though.

Yeah it's an incredible game, but it's such a weird pick and announcement. Like, why?

Dynedom

I may be in the minority but I really hope they revert back to the original grip mechanics that were there in the NA release on PS2. That was one reason I could never truly appreciate the PS3 remaster. It just felt like a different game but for the wrong reasons.

If they can do that and give it a nice visual upgrade with a rock solid framerate, I'll be a happy guy. One of my top 5 games of all time.

Bumhead

Banned
What new audience?

So you think it's entirely unfeasable that someone might be coming to this version for the first time?

As this thread demonstrates, it's not just them either. There are plenty of people who will be happy to see this game supported on new hardware, and/or to see technical issues fixed with this version.

I just don't get why people get their knickers in a twist about "why does this remaster of a classic exist". Why wouldn't or shouldn't it?

Patch13

I'm afraid I don't understand the point of this project.

You're not alone.

This feels a little bit like a remake of Citizen Kane to me. The HD remaster was fine -- that's just akin to cleaning up a damaged negative. But a straight up remake of a masterpiece. Hrmm ...

The comments about the controls make me sad. It's like wishing someone would remake Pulp Fiction, but put all the scenes in chronological order this time, so it's less confusing. Yeah, the controls are off-putting at the beginning, but if there's no struggle to master the controls, the moments where you do
horrible
things with that mastery lose their impact.

Not to hammer to hard on film metaphors that may not make sense to a lot of people, but the updated graphics remind me of the shot for shot remake of Psycho. Yeah, you've got all the pieces in the right place, but you don't have the original team's vision guiding things. It looks pretty, but I'm not sure that it has the same artistic meaning and value.

Eh. Maybe I'm overreacting. We'll have to see how it turns out ...

Most awesome thing out of e3. I hope they include more colossi. But this might prove difficult since Ueda probably isn't involved in a way.

I dont see any reason why theyre doing this unless theyre adding in the cut colossi.

I mean they could definitely fine tune some of the grip detection and maybe give the game a satisfying ending?

Excuse me!?

Also why not do it? They likely realised they COULD and just rolled with it. Especially after TLG finally came out, people might be hungry for more not realising that prequels to it exist and now have a shiny new version of it on a platform they currently own instead of having to go back to PS3

MrHoot

Excuse me!?

Also why not do it? They likely realised they COULD and just rolled with it. Especially after TLG finally came out, people might be hungry for more not realising that prequels to it exist and now have a shiny new version of it.

If anything, a hidden place with that freaky spider colossus that was in the concepts...that thing gives me the creeps...

Also yeah "unsatisfying ending", what.

Liamc723

Because tons of people will enjoy it.

You could say that about pretty much any game ever.

If the announcement has been coupled with a trailer for a sequel, I'd completely understand. But on its own, I just don't really see the point.

It's not like the game is suddenly going to become really popular through this remake. It's only going to sell to the hardcore PlayStation community, the ones who have already played the game for the most part.

So you think it's entirely unfeasable that someone might be coming to this version for the first time?

As this thread demonstrates, it's not just them either. There are plenty of people who will be happy to see this game supported on new hardware, and/or to see technical issues fixed with this version.

I just don't get why people get their knickers in a twist about "why does this remaster of a classic exist". Why wouldn't or shouldn't it?

I've never said that some people will not get into SoTC thanks to this remake, what I meant was that I feel that remaking the exact same game is not going to bring the game to a very new/different audience,

Also, I'm not mad about the existence of this remake, I just thought that remastering the game six years ago was more than enough.

i replayed this in october and i'm still hyped as fuck for this

Really hoping they do add in some of the cut colossi, though. Maybe rework a couple of those samey small ones as well.

Z3M0G

Triple dip?

Triple dip.

Edit: I may not unless they add more colossi or something. I agree that a sequel would have been much more substantial. If they add 5-6 more colossi and extend the game, that would be totally worth it.

//DEVIL//

are you guys picking on his face from a trailer for a game that supposed to be out in 2018 ? really ? there is nothing to be negative about, so we talk about his lips ? okay I guess :/

anyway. I am so fucking happy for this. my most loved game out of all the playstation first party games getting a remake. I am so fucking in

Karsha

I dunno, I think the new graphics make it lose some of its charm. The white mist in the horizon, the walking animation, the grey areas and the trim light all added to the experience imho. I know they were technical problems that they fixed in cheap ways but it made the game feel more "artistic", seeing it this clear is kinda weird..

jett

D-Member
I love Shadow of the Colossus and this looks great. For the most part at least, Wander's movement looks weird as fuck and the vibe I'm getting from the game is "What if Ocarina of Time was made in Unreal Engine".

You know what, yeah kinda.

I'll tell you what definitely needs some work before the final product hits shelves...

vjWSrWO.png

Dat Wander face. :|
Hideos visage. That model really looks odd, and is not just the face.

I dunno, I think the new graphics make it lose some of its charm. The white mist in the horizon, the walking animation, the grey areas and the trim light all added to the experience imho. I know they were technical problems that they fixed in cheap ways but it made the game feel more "artistic", seeing it this clear is kinda weird..

I agree with this to an extent. It's missing a lot of that bloom that blinded you in the original which could get annoying at times but it does have its charms

Andrea23

Sx pcsx2 DirectX11 software renderer, Dx Trailer
2017-06-136wbudz.png

Sx pcsx2 DirectX11 hardware renderer, Dx Trailer
2017-06-133bkuqb.png

Sadly pcsx2 doesn't have any form of freecam :S.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Meh, just some new textures I guess, why would anyone call this a remake it's obviously a remaster

Just echoing ancient sentiments from the Ocarina of time 3D reveal ;P. This looks great!
You know what, yeah kinda.

Hideos visage. That model really looks odd, and is not just the face.

Lol yikes, what is his arm even doing? Somehow I feel the fake fur shaded hair they used in the original was more believable than what they got going here too. Colossi are supposed to be fuzzy, not hairy :(

conpfreak

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time. But what's the point of this remaster and what does the game stand to gain besides better graphics and better controls? Devs and publishers have finite resources, and feel this is a waste so soon after the HD release. Should be been a whole new game with borrowed mechanics.

do youthink this will have additional content?
what about the price? $59.99?? or $39.99? should be 39 bucks in my opinion

I honestly don't think it will have any extra content. It would be cool but can't see them adding anything.

Also I think it'll be 39.99. Anything above that seems too much, especially after how fast TLG's price had to drop

I still can't believe this is actually happening, my favorite game of all time getting the remake treatment and looking this good! But man the negativity here is disheartening. :(

Eh, don't let the negativity get you down. They can't take this away from us. :)

A lot of it seems to be folks hung up on it being in the PS3 collection. It looks to be a pretty big improvement over that, which was already a pretty big jump over the original in visuals and stabilizing the framerate. This new reimagining looks to be built from scratch and has a wonderful new lighting system.

PS2

PS3

PS4

Definitely not a 1:1 comparison but this is the best I could do on mobile.

butman

Why are people complaining about this??

SOTC should be on every consoles so everyone can play it. It's a masterpiece!

What wrong with these guys?

Think some people are jaded from the lack of big reveals last night and see sotc as a wasted slot. I'm happy for it and only regret ico wasn't given the same treatment since sotc is the more popular game and it's unlikely they will follow an sotc remake with an ico one. Should have played a song from the games soundtrack though.

DeanBDean

You're not alone.

This feels a little bit like a remake of Citizen Kane to me. The HD remaster was fine -- that's just akin to cleaning up a damaged negative. But a straight up remake of a masterpiece. Hrmm ...

The comments about the controls make me sad. It's like wishing someone would remake Pulp Fiction, but put all the scenes in chronological order this time, so it's less confusing. Yeah, the controls are off-putting at the beginning, but if there's no struggle to master the controls, the moments where you do
horrible
things with that mastery lose their impact.

Not to hammer to hard on film metaphors that may not make sense to a lot of people, but the updated graphics remind me of the shot for shot remake of Psycho. Yeah, you've got all the pieces in the right place, but you don't have the original team's vision guiding things. It looks pretty, but I'm not sure that it has the same artistic meaning and value.

Eh. Maybe I'm overreacting. We'll have to see how it turns out ...

You know how easy it is to watch Citizen Kane? The DVD is cheap, or I can stream it on like 5 devices that I own through Amazon.

You know how easy it is to play Shadow of the Colossus? I have to buy either a PS2 or PS3 just for that one game. In theory I could stream it with PSNow, but I have never had success with streaming services, and I'm worried that lag may affect some of the timing issues I heard about the PS3 Shadow of the Colossus.

I have never played the game (or Ico), but I've heard rave reviews. This will allow me to play it.

ScOULaris

Those of us who are expressing concern are mega-fans of SotC. From what I've seen in this trailer, I don't yet have confidence that the game's unique art style, animation, and overall vibe will be properly preserved by Bluepoint in this remake/remaster.

Team ICO has an instantly recognizable aesthetic to all of their work, and right now this project is lacking it IMO. It looks like a fan-made Unreal Engine homage to SotC, if that makes sense.

So, yes. Of course I'd love for everyone to be able to play SotC if they haven't already. But I'd rather they play something like the HD remaster since it's a more faithful modern update to the original. It's like when you're a fan of Watchmen the graphic novel and you meet people who've only seen Watchmen the movie. My heart breaks every time.

That being said, I hope for the sake of SotC that this remake ends up being worthwhile by the time of release. I've always loved Bluepoint's remasters in the past, and they proved to me with the Ico/SotC HD Collection that they have respect for the source material. I'll need to see more footage of the new game in action before I can pass further judgment on it.

To be clear, I understand why a remake would be attempted. The notion of a full-scale SotC remake that is faithful to the original's aesthetic and tone sounds amazing to me. I just don't want this remake to lose the unique characteristics of the original game that made it special to so many of us.

Top Bottom