• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

Schlomo

It's not really as if the terms "remake" and "remaster" are exactly defined. The line is always blurry, despite what some people on video game forums claim.

This was the only trailer to really get a rise out of me...and I'm not even the biggest fan of the original game due to controls.

I'm super pumped.

jiggle

How long did bluepoint work on this?
It's great that they're moving on to quality(?) remake
Square needs to give them a call

Skux

FF7 is a remake. Completely new gameplay while retaining core elements of the original.

This looks like a very well crafted remaster, on the same level as the Crash Bandicoot trilogy. Gameplay looks identical, right down to Wander's running animation.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This certainly looks somewhere in-between that, and many "remasters" or "remakes" fall into a grey area too.

I can think of maybe four levels:

Level 1 -- simple remaster. Same assets, higher res. Examples: Most remasters really. Metal Gear Collection, PS3 verisons of Ico and Colossus, etc.

Level 2 -- touched-up assets. Higher res, assets improved noticeably but not monumentally. Examples: Final Fantasy X/X2, FFXII, really most of the Square Enix remasters. A lot of PC texture mods (like RE4HD).

Level 3 -- complete visual overhaul. Completely new assets brought up to modern standards, exact same game underneath. Examples: Halo Anniversary, Modern Warfare Remastered, Ocarina of Time 3DS, Starcraft 1 HD.

Level 4 -- completely new game. No original code base. New gameplay added. Totally new game bearing the same name. Examples: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 1 Remake.

That's a nice list. THis is quite clearly number 3 similar to Crash Trilogy, Gears Ultimate Edition, halo, Modern warfare ect

I guess i would call Ratchet PS4 a light 4

I love that a lot of reactions knew what was up with that opening shot

That Tower and recognizable bridge was like "wait..."

then the Japan Studio logo was like "oh wait is that..."

then the horses galloping on the puddle was like "fuuuuuuuck"

Hermii

Let me get this straight, this is a remaster of a remaster and it doesnt even include ico like the last remaster did?

I thought about this.

SotC is an important game. I think it's fine to remake it. I trust BluePoint with this, new generation of players need this.

A-V-B

I love Shadow of the Colossus and this looks great. For the most part at least, Wander's movement looks weird as fuck and the vibe I'm getting from the game is "What if Ocarina of Time was made in Unreal Engine".

Maybe that statement's underselling it a little bit, but...

b3u8anVaWFQ9G.gif

MUnited83

For you.
Let me get this straight, this is a remaster of a remaster and it doesnt even include ico like the last remaster did?
You got it completely wrong. The PS3 remaster was essentially the same game as the PS2 version, with just the resolution and framerate being better.
This one has completely new textures, lighting system, character models, new geometry, etc.

aadiboy

I really hope that if they do put in new content that Ueda is involved with the project in some form. I don't want them to put in anything new that fucks up with the spirit of the original game.

I thought about this.

SotC is an important game. I think it's fine to remake it. I trust BluePoint with this, new generation of players need this.

Man, the sense of a desolate hidden world is so strong in this game. Day one for me.
Really surprised they remaking this.

I really hope that if they do put in new content that Ueda is involved with the project in some form. I don't want them to put in anything new that fucks up with the spirit of the original game.

Time for that spider colossi.

A-V-B

I think if Ueda was involved to that degree then it would be advertised. I'm guessing they'll consult him every now and again, but for the most part he's hands off as he moves forward on his next project.

Inuhanyou

If ueda had been involved he would be right there up on that stage like he was with TLG

This is a Sony+Bluepoint effort in reasserting the game for a new audience and platform by reasseting it wit new assets

I guess they thought SOTC deserved better on PS4 than just being sent to PS2 on PS4 classics section?

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm so happy this is coming out.
I've wanted to play this game for years and always held off due to either technical issues or dodgy controls.

This is one of my games of the show.

Haven't played the remastered one, so this one is so mine. Unless it's hindered by technical incompetence like the original SotC was and The Last Guardian was lately.

armalyte75

Neo Member
Well this was really a big surprise to me, would be great if they will include some of the stuff missing from the ps2 version (I remember reading that the number of the colossis were cutten to half for the commercial release).

Just keep the fabulous ost, please!

Zalman

It's weird when people get into the specifics of remake versus remaster when developers have shown time and time again they don't care about such distinction.

This release reminds me of when God of War III came out for the PS4. It felt cheap when the PS3 received a much more complete collection in God of War Saga, which included that game and four more on top of it. Shadow of the Colossus was already updated on the PS3, and that package came with Ico as well. You can get into the specifics of whether or not this rerelease is a greater update than God of War III, but for me personally, even as a huge fan of the original game, this announcement fell flat. I guess I just feel spoiled after the amazing PS2 collections we got on PS3.

iFirez

They really need to work on the cloak/cape physics - it looks way too stiff, as if the material is more heavy and thick like carpet rather than thin and flowy like the original. I also think Wander needs some hair physics because his hair looked like a Lego Man's hair compared to how everything else rustled and moved while he ran and was caught by the wind... Agro has amazing hair tech going on -- do some of that to Wander.

They seem to have added a totally new graphics engine on top of the old game, ala Halo 2 anniversary for example and then polished up the models, textures and world. It will come across as a total remake but I do think they're using some of if not all of the original game as a base and building on top of it.

I would do some ummm....things to be able to play this today.

Also, I hope the controls are kept the same. I have mastered this game and I love them exactly the way they are. Need the time trials and special items to still be there as well.

Well, it seems to be more than just new assets, it's clearly new animations as well, which can also be called assets, technically speaking.

But I hope this means they've also cleaned up the gameplay. I like the original but man did it control horribly. Riding the horse was a nightmare. Moving around was kinda weird, loose and very imprecise.

Yeah, it's weird. I'm interested to know when development started on this. Obviously not after TLG was finished.

Peter Dalton is clearly the technical director of this remake, and clearly has been working on this immediately after shipping Uncharted Trilogy/Gravity Rush in late 2015.

So at least one and half years, most likely.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can't imagine anyone who played and loved the original not wanting this or being disappointed by it. Most of us thought that the only thing holding SotC back was its ambition and the PS2 hardware. The PS3 remaster fixed that, but now they're going the extra mile and it's just unbelievable. Moreover, there's still going to be tons of people who never experienced this and now finally can. The only downside here, if any, is that everyone now expects ICO to get the same treatment. But SotC was always in far greater need of it and I'm so glad this exists.

Okay, I may be excited for 'old games', but fuck it, this is a classic.

Inuhanyou

Well, it seems to be more than just new assets, it's clearly new animations as well, which can also be called assets, technically speaking.

But I hope this means they've also cleaned up the gameplay. I like the original but man did it control horribly. Riding the horse was a nightmare. Moving around was kinda weird, loose and very imprecise.

that was the point, controlling the horse was supposed to be like controlling a real horse, you were supposed to be stumbling around on the colossi as they moved back and forth

i think those animation changes to the model might have to do with having to redo the character model of Wander

It's not really as if the terms "remake" and "remaster" are exactly defined. The line is always blurry, despite what some people on video game forums claim.

I would probably go with "enhanced remaster" or something. It looks very much the same game only they went ham with new assets and effects.

A remake to me would be a new retelling of sotc that was ground up new. A black mesa or FF7R kinda deal.

uceenk

oh well, i already played it on PS3, don't know if i want the remake/remaster for current gen console

it would be cool if they create new sequel instead with new Collossi

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Will be there day 1, zero hour to experience this masterpiece once again.

Cannot. Wait.

This is so good.

Hermii

You got it completely wrong. The PS3 remaster was essentially the same game as the PS2 version, with just the resolution and framerate being better.
This one has completely new textures, lighting system, character models, new geometry, etc.

Ok, thanks.

ActWan

FF7 is a remake. Completely new gameplay while retaining core elements of the original.

This looks like a very well crafted remaster, on the same level as the Crash Bandicoot trilogy. Gameplay looks identical, right down to Wander's running animation.

REmake isn't a remake then?

Striek

Game looks stunning. Don't see the animation complaints - they're as perfect as it was originally.I actually thought it was a SOTC reboot for a moment. I'll take a remake, but the "what if..." of a reboot is eating away at me. The game is just so goddamn unique, 12 years later.

Top Bottom