• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

TheRatedD

This was always a dream for me, to have it remade from the ground up for PS4, but I never actually thought it would happen. I'm still in shock. This is like FF7 Remake for me.

gfxtwin

100% this. It would be such a massive missed opportunity if they didn't

Ummm...no? The game's story is set by a guy who's mastered that narrative style more than almost any other developer, so I'd rather not have the fanfic + the extra colossi that were probably cut for a reason, thankyouverymuch. Maybe as unlockable extras in a boss mode though.

.Anema

So much hype
So poor sales.
This is like a little favor from Sony, because (and let's be real) no one cares about this game (take the recepcion of The Last Guardian for example)
I don't know how to react since this game was the best thing on the Sony conference. A little sad at least.

EDIT.
Im really hyped to give this game a new chance. I tried on PS2 and PS3 without any luck. Please be good.

Shin-Ra

I wonder if they'll keep the expanding pink stamina gauge or modernise it with something even more minimal.

goonergaz

OK, judging by the gameplay video I thought the giant creature was going to be your ally similar to that Last Guardian dog...

Ico, SotC and TLG are all 'similar' and all (fan wise) linked in the same universe.

TLG is like and updated Ico where Trico is in place of Yorda - if you liked TLG then give that game a go.

SotC is like a collection of end of level bosses - and like Trico they are all big creatures which you find around a big (mostly empty) open world which you traverse on Argo (your horse). When you find the each Colossus you figure a way to climb on (like Trico) and find it's weak spot(s).

If you liked TLG you will likely like this - hell IMHO every gamer should play all these games (or at least try them) - my kids have all played them and whilst they are generally addicted to shooters really enjoy the change of pace/originality and whole experience.

Razmos

Ummm...no? The game's story is set by a guy who's mastered that narrative style more than almost any other developer, so I'd rather not have the fanfic + the extra colossi that were probably cut for a reason, thankyouverymuch. Maybe as unlockable extras in a boss mode though.
I'm not saying they should change the game at all though, just for them to be in the game in some capacity. I'd be perfectly happy for them to be optional fights

TitusTroy

It's a blockbuster cult classic. No other game has done what SoTC did; it's pretty much a genre of one. At least until Prey For The Gods

how is the game considered a blockbuster?...I hear sales were pretty disappointing...maybe it sold well in Japan where these type of games tend to do better then in other parts of the world

This was always a dream for me, to have it remade from the ground up for PS4, but I never actually thought it would happen. I'm still in shock. This is like FF7 Remake for me.
Same. I would have been 13 when SoTC came out, so in some ways the game is for me what FF7 is for those from the past generarion. Seeing the game, in all its modern upgraded glory, was a "dream game come true" moment for me.

how is the game considered a blockbuster?...I hear sales were pretty disappointing...maybe it sold well in Japan where these type of games tend to do better then in other parts of the world
Blockbuster in terms of scale and action, etc.

JawzPause

Honestly when this came up i freaked out. I've always wanted this but thought it'd never happen. This alone has won E3 for me

RedSwirl

I'm actually surprised everyone didn't immediately realize this was a complete asset overhaul. It just remains to be seen what's underneath. After Crash though this seems to be a trend for Sony -- total asset overhauls of classic games. What's next?

Anyway, could anyone tell me what approach Crash takes? I've never played any Crash games so I don't know if that's just new assets over gameplay that's identical to PS1, or something different. That's pretty much what Modern Warefare Remastered is -- the actual game underneath is basically 1:1 with the 2007 version, they just replaced every single visual aspect of it while staying faithful to the original art direction. Halo Anniversary is the same thing, except those new assets really were running on top of the exact same engine as the 2001 game, because you could press select and instantly switch back and forth between original and new graphics. The downside in Halo's case is that it still used the 2001 animations which looked janky when paired up with 2011 graphics.

Bluepoint doesn't seem like the kind of developer to make decisions on gameplay and design and all that -- it just seems to want to update things visually. I haven't done an in-motion comparison so I don't know if the animations and physics are the same. Other than the lighting though it does seem that the art assets are faithful to the original art direction. Lighting looks different. Wander still looks like a character designed for a PS2 character, given a modern amount of polygons. Contrast how he looks here with, say, Aloy who looks like she was designed with PS4-levels of detail in mind.

So much hype
So poor sales.
This is like a little favor from Sony, because (and let's be real) no one cares about this game (take the recepcion of The Last Guardian for example)
I don't know how to react since this game was the best thing on the Sony conference. A little sad at least.

At this rate, I think the combination of great reviews, a good release date and word of mouth can really help sell this game to masses.

Dash_

Wander still runs similarly, but it seems as though he has more frames and isn't lurching forward as much.

I have faith in Bluepoint though, given it's unlikely this is happening without Ueda's blessing.

I wonder if ICO will be given the same treatment. Anyway, a lovely surprise at this E3.

TitusTroy

At this rate, I think the combination of great reviews, a good release date and word of mouth can really help sell this game to masses.

my guess is that it'll do about as well as Last Guardian...this is unfortunately considered a niche game...this is no Tomb Raider or Uncharted which is what the majority enjoy...this seems like a game that people who enjoyed the original will play for the nostalgia factor

simple_sleep

Neo Member
Maybe as unlockable extras in a boss mode though.

That's what I said. Not to necessarily include them as "main" bosses, but include some option to fight them nonetheless. Like only being accessible after beating the whole game; or in a new game plus; something. It's perfectly doable to include them in a way that still respects the original story and vision of the game.

Now that I think of it, the original vision WAS to have more colossi. Ueda has stated that several times. In a way, this would be the perfect opportunity to achieve that.

ASIS

So much hype
So poor sales.

EDIT.
Im really hyped to give this game a new chance. I tried on PS2 and PS3 without any luck. Please be good.
I don't think this will tank. I can see it doing over a million quite easily actually.

RedSwirl

To me

Remaster = Same assets, higher res, minor touchups.

Remake = Built from the ground up.

This certainly looks somewhere in-between that, and many "remasters" or "remakes" fall into a grey area too.

I can think of maybe four levels:

Level 1 -- simple remaster. Same assets, higher res. Examples: Most remasters really. Metal Gear Collection, PS3 verisons of Ico and Colossus, etc.

Level 2 -- touched-up assets. Higher res, assets improved noticeably but not monumentally. Examples: Final Fantasy X/X2, FFXII, really most of the Square Enix remasters. A lot of PC texture mods (like RE4HD).

Level 3 -- complete visual overhaul. Completely new assets brought up to modern standards, exact same game underneath. Examples: Halo Anniversary, Modern Warfare Remastered, Ocarina of Time 3DS, Starcraft 1 HD.

Level 4 -- completely new game. No original code base. New gameplay added. Totally new game bearing the same name. Examples: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 1 Remake.

Any chance:

-- They'll add new locations?
-- They'll add a few new Colossi?
-- Populate the map with new landmarks, enemies, etc?
-- Improve on the sluggish controls?

emalord

Is it me or the game lacks the bloom of the original? That bloom gave the OG a dreamy/eerie feeling that is possibly missing here and that would impact the overall feeling

Furthermore I think the game is overall less green-ish and more grey-ish also impacting the overall perception. But this is a very personal perception and I could easily be wrong.

I've watched the trailer a few times, and every time I watch it I'm incapable at not getting choked up at the choral version of Revived Power when the SotC title pops up, lawd.

It's so damn weird seeing something you're so familiar with look so familiar, yet slightly different at the same time. It's so fucking weird to see Wander not... blocky. Like, his legs and thighs are rounded. The Colossi's fur moves organically. The water by the sunken 'bridge' near the third colossi - (0:24) I remember clambering up that structure from the water, over and over again, because I had such trouble with the third colossi. It's so similar to my memories, yet so different. Also seeing all the texture detail on the colossi.

...this post is super weird, and I'm feeling SotC sentimental, ahem.

Is it me or the game lacks the bloom of the original? That bloom gave the OG a dreamy/eerie feeling that is possibly missing here and that would impact the overall feeling

Furthermore I think the game is overall less green-ish and more grey-ish also impacting the overall perception. But this is a very personal perception and I could easily be wrong.

I think you're right, the original game was definitely bloom heavy - which I did enjoy, it made the world feel very distinct. What we've seen of the 2018 version looks a bit darker? I do agree, it's a lot grayer.

Loudninja

SoTC was a PS2 Platinum Hit

Dont think it was exactly a flop
An article from 2012

The Best-Selling HD Remasters At Retail
  1. God Of War I & II Collection (Nov. 2009)
  2. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (Nov. 2011)
  3. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Nov. 2011)
  4. The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (Sept. 2011)
  5. The Sly Collection (Nov. 2010)
  6. God of War: Origins Collection (Sept. 2011)
  7. Tomb Raider Trilogy (Mar. 2011)
  8. Prince Of Persia Trilogy (Apr. 2011)
  9. Tekken Hybrid (Nov. 2011)
  10. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy (Sept. 201
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/17/the-best-selling-hd-remasters-at-retail.aspx

ArchAngel

17th Colossus will be
the whole shrine and the secret garden!
Nah, I don't want any changes. I just want to cry again to the ending.

emalord

Any chance:

Probably the latter
Wander has a full new moveset and probably this will reflect in climbing the Colossi

mcz117chief

Atrociously bad trailer but I love Shadow of the Colossus so I will definitely pick this up. If you compare it to the HD trailer it is quite embarrassing.

Any chance:

Let's hope not, damn, that would be terrible, specifically putting random enemies around the map. But I don't understand the "sluggish controls" thing, it plays just fine on both PS2 and 3. New locations, if they are tiny or just some Easter egg rooms then I wouldn't mind. Like one thing that would be cool was if you could see, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off in the distance the ruins of Queen's castle.

Loudninja

Bluepoint games worked on all these games and remasters:

Blast Factor
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Titanfall
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Gravity Rush Remastered
Flower
God of War Collection

Uhhhhhhhh

Wat.

I went into the trailer expecting a basic minimal remaster, but holy fucking shit this looks much closer to a remake bespoke for PS4.

Based Sony.

orochi91

Can't find any source of this.
From several pages ago:

http://bluepointgames.com/employment-opportunities/senior-graphics-programmer/

SotCremake.png

So happy with this announcement ,for me the best part of the sony conference.

It weird to say this, but it kind of feels right that this is getting a remake - it is one title that perhaps technology and graphical fidelity can improve it. It deserves that scope.

KSai

It's a nice sentiment, but I won't get it. I couldn't play Fable Anniversary because it just looked too different from the original I had such a great experience with.

iFirez

This certainly looks somewhere in-between that, and many "remasters" or "remakes" fall into a grey area too.

I can think of maybe four levels:

Level 1 -- simple remaster. Same assets, higher res. Examples: Most remasters really. Metal Gear Collection, PS3 verisons of Ico and Colossus, etc.

Level 2 -- touched-up assets. Higher res, assets improved noticeably but not monumentally. Examples: Final Fantasy X/X2, FFXII, really most of the Square Enix remasters. A lot of PC texture mods (like RE4HD).

Level 3 -- complete visual overhaul. Completely new assets brought up to modern standards, exact same game underneath. Examples: Halo Anniversary, Modern Warfare Remastered, Ocarina of Time 3DS, Starcraft 1 HD.

Level 4 -- completely new game. No original code base. New gameplay added. Totally new game bearing the same name. Examples: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 1 Remake.

I'm personally predicting a level 3, with some additional control improvements on top.

This was so nice to see at the conference and I know this is in good hands, if I had to choose one developer to make this besides Team Ico themselves it would be Bluepoint because I know they will keep this as faithful to the original as possible and still make it absolutely beautiful.

Top Bottom