• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

KooopaKid

Banned
SOTC is one of my all-time favorites but I'm not interested in a remake in the slightest.
I know the boss patterns by heart. It's way too familiar.
Cool for those who are going to discover it for the first time though.

Two Words

I'm really glad I never played the HD remakes. This game exists in my mind only as the original ps2 version. This is a massive improvement.

Stiler

Is this going to be the same game or are they including anything new , like some of the monsters that were cut out of the game?

Can't wait to play this though, going to be great getting back on Agro.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Shit like FFVII Remake and Crash have absolutely wrecked understanding of what a remaster is vs. a remake. For ages, a remake was something that upgraded the graphics to a more modern level and maybe added/changed some shit up. While a remaster was just upping the resolution and slapping it onto a new gen of consoles.

Suddenly FFVII decides to go crazy and people need to defend it, so remakes don't mean what they meant for ages before that. Suddenly it's more akin to reboot (for some people), and a remaster means "just changing the graphics".

This is definitely a remake, and it looks hype as hell. I never got SoTC on the PS2, and didn't have a PS3, so this is definitely my time to play it. I'm sad that I already know the twists, but it's without a doubt a paragon of gaming that I need to play myself.

This doesn't make any sense.

Every other piece of media uses remake in very specific ways. A remake is anything that is redone from the ground up entirely. A remaster is a thing that is spitshined to look good by modern standards

MS's efforts with their kinds of remasters have blurred the lines and definitions somewhat because they are touching the graphical assets, but they are still considered remasters despite that. They don't change anything, add anything, take anything away, only enhance the visuals and presentation of what was already there, everything is exactly as it was, the voice files, the set pieces, down to the letter..the only thing touched is the assets themselves.

It has nothing to do with "defending' FF7R, as movies have had a solid interpretation of remake versus remaster from the beginning(newsflash, reboots and reinterpretations and reinventions are all considered remakes), remakes are much more radical and touch all portions of narrative, content and such.

The fact of the matter is that Bluepoint are doing this in their typical form. If it was an actual remake, Team Ico would be working on it and, generally speaking, it would most likely be spearheaded by Ueda to redo when they wanted redone, and reimagine what it was he wanted to reimagine.

Elixist

SOTC is one of my all-time favorites but I'm not interested in a remake in the slightest.

same boat. new peeps are in for a ride, the updated graphics look amazing.

Is this going to be the same game or are they including anything new , like some of the monsters that were cut out of the game?

Can't wait to play this though, going to be great getting back on Agro.

That would be awesome. A fully realized SOTC would definitely get my attention. I skipped on the HD Remasters for PS3, but this has me interested for sure.

big fake

I think it's more of a preservation and re-enhancement purpose this remake. I've only played the game twice. So I'm there day one. SotC is one of the best games ever made. More people play it the better.

I love Shadow of the Colossus, but honestly unless there is new content I'll be skipping it until it's $15-20. There are just way too many great games that I haven't played yet or still to come out.

It did hit me with some feels though.

pixelation

I recognized the bridge... but then the horseman made me think it was Ico... i would've preferred Ico personally but i do love SotC as well!!!

is this another game similar to Last Guardian?...looks similar except instead of a giant dog we have a giant rock creature

Not really no. Basically, it's a boss rush game where beating each boss is kind of like a platformer/puzzle game in the guise of an action sequence, and in between bosses is an open world. It has a very similar tone and aesthetic and story telling presentation.

It's a true cult classic, but it's fairly unique.

Tagg9

is this another game similar to Last Guardian?...looks similar except instead of a giant dog we have a giant rock creature

I think most people here would agree that Shadow of the Colossus is a far superior game when compared to The Last Guardian.

Paltheos

Oh, hey. This looks like a full remake. That's a pretty big investment. Hopefully this time it's a fun game too.

Smellycat

I can't wait to experience that incredible intro again. I still get chills watching it and listening to the music. Probably the greatest intro track.

A-V-B

Looks pretty good. Aesthetic needs some refinement, though. More haze, more bloom, more dreaminess. As it stands right now it's too... I don't know... immediate? Clean?

But they have all of next year to work on that, so best of luck to them.

35275292315_dfdd9a2b2nnuw9.jpg

lordy

TitusTroy

Not really no. Basically, it's a boss rush game where beating each boss is kind of like a platformer/puzzle game in the guise of an action sequence, and in between bosses is an open world. It has a very similar tone and aesthetic and story telling presentation.

It's a true cult classic, but it's fairly unique.

I guess what I meant was, so it's more of an artsy stylistic game like Last Guardian and not really a traditional action or adventure game...more of a cult classic instead of a blockbuster

Same.

but I'm still so in. I don't know how any SOTC fan can resist with it looking like that.

+1 to hoping we get the cut Colossi from the original. Might as fucking well.

Or maybe make it some post game content? (lol)

A-V-B

I guess what I meant was, so it's more of an artsy stylistic game like Last Guardian and not really a traditional action or adventure game

I mean, it's not a jam-packed action adventure game like Zelda, but it is definitely action-adventure. Pinnacle of its class in terms of mood and animation.

simple_sleep

Neo Member
Guys.

Guys.

Who fucking cares if it should be called a remaster or a remake. Chill out, it's not that big of a deal honestly.

Let's talk about cut colossi instead. And how they need to be working on them.

We can also talk about cut colossi.

Stiler

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian all go together in terms of art style, world, and some story elements, but they don't play similar really at all.

Shadow of the Colossus is (gameplay wise) literally about you riding along on your horse tracking down giant creatures to kill by climbing atop them and then making your way to their "weak" points to attack them.

It's literally one open world where your sole goal is to hunt these creatures down and slay them all.

It's not like TLG, you aren't making friends with the giant animals, you aren't making your way through the world slowly while solving puzzles.

In SOTC the creatures are the "puzzles" with your goal being "How do I get onto this beast and how do I kill it?"

I guess what I meant was, so it's more of an artsy stylistic game like Last Guardian and not really a traditional action or adventure game...more of a cult classic instead of a blockbuster
It's a blockbuster cult classic. No other game has done what SoTC did; it's pretty much a genre of one. At least until Prey For The Gods

TitusTroy

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian all go together in terms of art style, world, and some story elements, but they don't play similar really at all.

Shadow of the Colossus is (gameplay wise) literally about you riding along on your horse tracking down giant creatures to kill by climbing atop them and then making your way to their "weak" points to attack them.

It's literally one open world where your sole goal is to hunt these creatures down and slay them all. It's not like TLG, you aren't making friends with them giant animals, you aren't solving puzzles, you are on a journey to kill every single colossus, and you have a reason to (the storyline).

OK, judging by the gameplay video I thought the giant creature was going to be your ally similar to that Last Guardian dog...

I feel like this is a quick cash grab....that being said, I might pick it up if they go above and beyond on this remake. (consistent 60 fps, Extras that include artwork, soundtrack, 'making of' documentary, improved control scheme and camera etc)

goonergaz

Same.

but I'm still so in. I don't know how any SOTC fan can resist with it looking like that.

+1 to hoping we get the cut Colossi from the original. Might as fucking well.

Or maybe make it some post game content? (lol)

This, played the shit out of PS2 version. Was day one on PS3 HD - played the shit out of that too!

Will be day one digital for this and hopefully a nice CE edition - I need me a Colossus to sit next to my Trico!

Looks amazing

simple_sleep

Neo Member
Are they adding cut content...?

That's what I pray for. I want the folks at Bluepoint to see this thread and understand that many fans so desperately wish to see some of the cut colossi brought back for this remake. Because right now, I might have very unrealistic expectations, but it's ALL THEIR FAULT FOR BRINGING BACK ALL THESE DREAMS FROM CHILDHOOD GAMING MEMORIES.

Floody

I feel like this is a quick cash grab....that being said, I might pick it up if they go above and beyond on this remake. (consistent 60 fps, Extras that include artwork, soundtrack, 'making of' documentary, improved control scheme and camera etc)

Sony wouldn't go to Bluepoint and be paying them enough to expand if they wanted a quick cash grab.

Top Bottom