• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops sold $360M in sales day one, 16 percent increase over MW2

FrankT

Just saw this hit twitter;

geoffkeighley Black Ops sold 360M in sales day one, up from 310M for Modern Warfare 2. 16 percent increase

Not sure if we will get day one unit sales, but for comparison;

Modern Warfare 2 sold an estimated 4.7 million units in its first 24 hours in North America and the UK alone, which far exceeds the previous record of 3.6 million held by Grand Theft Auto IV.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/12/modern-warfare-2-breaks-record-with-4-7-million-in-day-one-sales/

Will update if I see a unit number released.

Psychotext said:

UK=1.4 million
US=4.2 million

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-12-black-ops-sets-uk-day-one-sales-record_4

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Seriously though, that's an impressive number. How's the different edition pricing this time vs last time?

gerg

And the series keeps on growing. I wonder whether the legs will be more front-loaded, though.

For the sake of comparison, what were the legs like for MW2?

donny2112

Just 360 in the U.S. (probably), so we'll see if that carries over. Very good start for Activision, though.

Edit:
Oh, it's from geoffkeighley. I thought it was the Microsoft guy. In that case, it might be a number directly from Activision, which would make it worldwide and a straight comparison. :)

Edit2:
Jtyettis said:
Yea looking back on the gross figure for MW2 it was based on US+UK.

Okay. So just U.S. + U.K. on all platforms. Nice.

FrankT

donny2112 said:
Just 360 in the U.S. (probably), so we'll see if that carries over. Very good start for Activision, though.

Yea looking back on the gross figure for MW2 it was based on US+UK.

Activision has now announced that the game has shifted a total of 4.7 million units across the US and UK in its first day of sales, grossing a total of $310 million (£187 million) in sales.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Mode...st-Entertainment-Launch-In-History-14735.html

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The war cant last forever, can it?

"Infinity Ward" must be like "WTF we didn't even make that shit."

Activision is all like "REAL DUDEBROS DON'T CARE ABOUT DEVELOPERS!"

farnham

Banned
BigBadShamoo said:
"Infinity Ward" must be like "WTF we didn't even make that shit."

Activision is all like "REAL DUDEBROS DON'T CARE ABOUT DEVELOPERS!"
call of duty 2 and 4 was better then any treyarch call of duty

but modern warfare 2 was way worse then call of duty world at war

also treyarch cares for wii so i like treyarch more (plus they made spiderman 2 which was the best spiderman game ever made)

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
How can you bet on something happening when it has already been announced?
there is an off chance that activision blizzard gets blown up by talibans next year

oh wait.. that was EAs game

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The question is whether or not it can keep up the month-to-month sales of MW2.

-viper-

Banned
duckroll said:
How can you bet on something happening when it has already been announced?
Are you talking about COD: Space Marines? Didn't realise that was scheduled to be realise NEXT YEAR.

rvy

Banned
Meaning, gamers don't care about resolutions, framerates and buying unfinished products. Good job, gamers.

Holy cow, phenomenal sales. I wonder what's finally going to kill this golden goose - is CoD on its way to being the most successful game franchise on average per-title? (measuring success in revenue and not profit, of course, or in sales numbers if we don't want to factor in interest and all that stuff)

gerg said:
And the series keeps on growing. I wonder whether the legs will be more front-loaded, though.

It sold about half its total sales to date at launch, I think.

I'm sure BlackOps is at least as front-loaded, but that's just a matter of saturation.

farnham

Banned
badcrumble said:
Holy cow, phenomenal sales. I wonder what's finally going to kill this golden goose - is CoD on its way to being the most successful game franchise on average per-title? (measuring success in revenue and not profit, of course, or in sales numbers if we don't want to factor in interest and all that stuff)
probably wii sports still

or pokemon

FrankT

Joe Shlabotnik said:
It sold about half its total sales to date at launch, I think.

I'm sure BlackOps is at least as front-loaded, but that's just a matter of saturation.

It hit over 20 million so with all of Europe thrown in I'd say a decent bit less than half at launch.

Lince

Banned
rvy said:
Meaning, gamers don't care about resolutions, framerates and buying unfinished products. Good job, gamers.

99% of the previews/reviews never mentioned any flaws. Also, the average CoD fan doesn't care about framerate or shadow resolution.

DaBuddaDa

badcrumble said:
Holy cow, phenomenal sales. I wonder what's finally going to kill this golden goose
I think the only thing that can change things is a new round of console hardware with new titles competing for mindshare combined with a buggy/mediocre effort by whoever is developing the next-gen CoD. New console launches always shake things up a bit when it comes to franchises, big ones can die off and get replaced.

So I think it's safe to say we'll see at least Call of Duty: Space Warfare in 2011 and Modern Warfare 3 in 2012.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
-viper- said:
Haha. They're truly milking that cow. Every. last. drop.

It'd be foolish not to. Go Activision!

farnham said:
probably wii sports still

or pokemon
True, or Wii Fit.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone (not me!!!!) go to the work of drawing up a chart of average-sales-per-franchise, though. Of course you'd probably need to do it once with and once without spinoffs/gaidens (i.e. basically the list with Mario and the list without Mario). It'd be helpful for ascertaining the value of the industry's top IPs.

farnham

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
I think the only thing that can change things is a new round of console hardware with new titles competing for mindshare combined with a buggy/mediocre effort by whoever is developing the next-gen CoD. New console launches always shake things up a bit when it comes to franchises, big ones can die off and get replaced.

So I think it's safe to say we'll see at least Call of Duty: Space Warfare in 2011 and Modern Warfare 3 in 2012.
can you believe that last gen the big thing was the annual tony hawk game ?

Absolutely insane numbers. Call of Duty is now bigger than Infinity Ward. West and Zampella were too late.

gerg said:

MW2 was still selling over 100k a month on just 360, in just the US, in June, July, and August 2010, the last month we got individual SKU numbers. It has never left the UK top 40 until last week, due to the imminent release of Black Ops.

duckroll

DaBuddaDa said:

Here's a serious question: If Black Ops can outsell MW2, and if Space Warfare also does very well as a more fantastical action/adventure take on the franchise, is there really a specific need to continue the "Modern Warfare" brand of CoD? It seems to imply to me that the Call of Duty brand is the strongest element here, and that the Modern Warfare brand might not really be as meaningful as we thought.

Shurs

BobTheFork said:
seriously, why do people like CoD?

It's the heaps of positive reinforcement the game gives you, and the sense of progression one feels when playing.

Plus, it's fun.

Top Bottom