• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

DemWalls

How are mouse/keyboard controls on this? Quite liking the demo but would prefer PC performance and not fucking my right thumb up on my DS4.

Pretty good, I think? Certainly better than in the Souls games. Someone even said the targeting system works better, if I'm not mistaken.

I already said so in the demo thread itself, but I really recommend trying the demo for anyone skeptical about this due to Lords of the Fallen.

I tried Lords and thought it was shit and basically wrote The Surge off immediately because of it. After trying the demo, I have to say it plays really tight and has great level design (at least thus far). The limb targeting, finish moves and dismemberment make the combat feel really brutal.

Atmosphere is also on point with a surprising amount of creep fact that the visuals themselves don't convey at all. The sound design can get pretty unnerving.

It really didn't play or feel like I was expecting, which was a really good thing.

Buggy Loop

Demo sold me

Whenever there's a price drop.. Sorry but, really seems good, not full price though, too many games to in backlog.

DemWalls

I tried Lords and thought it was shit and basically wrote The Surge off immediately because of it.

Yeah, this is really the wrong attitude to have. It's like not even giving the Souls series a chance due to the generous amount of shovelware From created before it.

I could understand being cautious previous to the launch (even if - on PC, at least - LotF isn't half as bad as many say), but even now people don't seem willing to give this game a try, despite it being generally considered good and a remarkable improvement over its predecessor, especially by those who hated it.

psychotron

I need this game to go on sale physical because I don't really think I want it forever. The PSN sale was tempting but I'm holding out.

*Splinter

Yeah, this is really the wrong attitude to have. It's like not even giving the Souls series a chance due to the generous amount of shovelware From created before it.

I could understand being cautious previous to the launch (even if - on PC, at least - LotF isn't half as bad as many say), but even now people don't seem willing to give this game a try, despite it being generally considered good and a remarkable improvement over its predecessor, especially by those who hated it.
Hopefully the free demo helped. There's certainly been a lot of new activity in this thread thanks to it.

And yeah I thought LotF was underrated. Still the only Soulslike I've done multiple playthroughs of (although I will go back to Bloodborne eventually).

New Souls-like game by developer who previously made a really shitty Souls-like game...I don't see how it was an outrageous leap for me to assume The Surge would be subpar as well based on that information.

I don't have the time, nor interest, to follow every game I wasn't interested in initially to see if I was wrong or not.

I am however extremely open to pretty much any demo and download most of them if they look even vaguely in my ballpark of interests. Not just for my sake, but I think it would've been smart to release a demo of The Surge right off the bat seeing that the general reception of their previous Souls-ish title wasn't too hot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So the second area is kicking my ass!

The hammer dudes aren't a problem. Very easy to read and punish. Those fast dudes with the claws are not a fun time, though. Need to hit once or twice and dodge out. Taking on one of each is interesting and presents a nice little "positioning puzzle".

Yo but FUCK those three legged robot dog things with the tail. Those things can straight up eat a dick. Scary fast, dangerously strong...Yikes. I can SORT of take them on one-on-one, but down the hall is a pair of them that I'm SURE will make my life hell.

And those drones with the shielded fronts are also annoying. I suspect they're weak on the back, but getting back there is tough.

Love this game!

*Splinter

And those drones with the shielded fronts are also annoying. I suspect they're weak on the back, but getting back there is tough.

Love this game!
You mean the big fat ones? They are trying to teach you something. I think there's a hint on the wall near the first one.

Full explanation:
If you hold block and do left analogue stick up/down you can jump/duck. If you successfully dodge an attack with these moves and then immediately attack you'll do massive damage.

Look out for the horizontal attacks those drones do, can be high or low. There's a few other enemies with horizontal attacks as well, including those three legged shits with the tail.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The fast dudes are easy once you learn to parry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsUqZxO-5xA

Don't hold block, hit block right before the enemy weapon is about to hit, then it will parry and you can counter attack.
I re-learned that and the game got a lot easier again :)

I'll practice on some of the guys near the second station. There's a few there that I can learn on. I was completely unaware of those other moves. That's some interesting stuff, thanks!

You mean the big fat ones? They are trying to teach you something. I think there's a hint on the wall near the first one.

Full explanation:
If you hold block and do left analogue stick up/down you can jump/duck. If you successfully dodge an attack with these moves and then immediately attack you'll do massive damage.

Look out for the horizontal attacks those drones do, can be high or low. There's a few other enemies with horizontal attacks as well, including those three legged shits with the tail.

I think I saw a blue exclamation mark on the wall...I should have checked that out. I'll give this a shot tonight, thanks!

Speaking of that spot...That chick is there asking for a weapon. I did a little digging and it turns out I should give her a good staff. But I don't have a good one. Can I find one to give her before moving forward in the game?

Loved the demo, impulse-bought the full thing. I'm very very bad at this. First Souls-style game I've really touched.

I lost 3k scrap last night ;__;

Still gonna keep soldiering on tho

derFeef

The scrap mechanic is really cool, remember the more scrap you have, the higher your multiplier goes - it only resets after you die so you can bank in scrap and keep the multiplier! Good farming method, heh.

The fast dudes are easy once you learn to parry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsUqZxO-5xA

Don't hold block, hit block right before the enemy weapon is about to hit, then it will parry and you can counter attack.
I re-learned that and the game got a lot easier again :)

Oh, shit, I kept wondering what the duck/jump thing while blocking was all about and somehow didn't connect the dots to try it in combat. Cool stuff.

Also didn't figure out that there was a back-kick.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How's the story/characters/writing in this?

It not a very character focused games. You do meet some interesting characters and they're not quite as vague and obtuse as Souls games NPCs but they're not going to be much more than quest givers.

GravyButt

Can someone explain the core power to me? Clearly I missed something in my limited time so farthe trial. Like right now it says 9/12. What does it mean/effect it?

Also I banked like 1k scrap, and its gone, I don't see it anywhere? I figured itd save it so you cant lose it if you die but nope cant find it anywhere?!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can someone explain the core power to me? Clearly I missed something in my limited time so farthe trial. Like right now it says 9/12. What does it mean/effect it?

Also I banked like 1k scrap, and its gone, I don't see it anywhere? I figured itd save it so you cant lose it if you die but nope cant find it anywhere?!

Mods and armor all require core power so the more core power, the larger and better mods you can equip.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So the second area is kicking my ass!

The hammer dudes aren't a problem. Very easy to read and punish. Those fast dudes with the claws are not a fun time, though. Need to hit once or twice and dodge out. Taking on one of each is interesting and presents a nice little "positioning puzzle".

Yo but FUCK those three legged robot dog things with the tail. Those things can straight up eat a dick. Scary fast, dangerously strong...Yikes. I can SORT of take them on one-on-one, but down the hall is a pair of them that I'm SURE will make my life hell.

Love this game!

About the hall of doggy things:
You should really just suicide run past them, to get the implant at the dead end.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
About the hall of doggy things:
You should really just suicide run past them, to get the implant at the dead end.

Thank you. Going to try that when I boot back up!

Central Production is a real step up in difficulty. Getting my ass kicked. I may need to swap out of the slower weapons because it's leaving me too open.

Toxa

I'm having hard time with this game game now
I defeated the first boss and I've reached the second area and while I can handle the human I'm having trouble with theses robots their shielding is too strong or something so far I wasn't able to take down a single robots

Need advice pls

basicly I'm here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPtezpDEng

Demo sold me

Whenever there's a price drop.. Sorry but, really seems good, not full price though, too many games to in backlog.

It's on sale today on Steam, though I guess it'll be for the whole weekend?

I'm also looking forward to playing this, but I guess I'll wait until winter. I still have things to play.

jimboton

I defeated the first boss and I've reached the second area and while I can handle the human I'm having trouble with theses robots their shielding is too strong or something so far I wasn't able to take down a single robots

Need advice pls

basicly I'm here:

If you mean the ones that sometimes put out a field that slowws you down or pulls you, their weak spot is their hind leg. You need to strafe behind them. They're a pain to take down, sometimes t'is better to just avoid them.

*Splinter

Need advice pls

basicly I'm here:

If you mean the ones that sometimes put out a field that slowws you down or pulls you, their weak spot is their hind leg. You need to strafe behind them. They're a pain to take down, sometimes t'is better to just avoid them.
Wait for their horizontal attack, duck or jump it as appropriate, and then immediately attack for massive damage.

Toxa

Wait for their horizontal attack, duck or jump it as appropriate, and then immediately attack for massive damage.

It's a yellow robot (they are many) sometimes it use a beam like a tractor beam to lure you .
I didn't find any weak point I just managed to slowing him down.

There's also another kind of robots their color is grey and they walk like a dog they are stronger so it's still the same shit

Toxa

Thank you. Going to try that when I boot back up!

Central Production is a real step up in difficulty. Getting my ass kicked. I may need to swap out of the slower weapons because it's leaving me too open.

well we're both experiencing the same feeling

*Splinter

It's a yellow robot (they are many) sometimes it use a beam like a tractor beam to lure you .
I didn't find any weak point I just managed to slowing him down.

There's also another kind of robots their color is grey and they walk like a dog they are stronger so it's still the same shit
Yeah the yellow one is the kind I mean. You need to learn the duck/jump + counterattack mechanic.

Dommel

Yeah the yellow one is the kind I mean. You need to learn the duck/jump + counterattack mechanic.

If you upgrade your drone with the ramming perk those robots become pretty easy to deal with as they try to repair (?) after your drone attacks which gives you plenty of oppurtunity to deal damage from behind.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
well we're both experiencing the same feeling

Yup!

First area was mostly a walk in the park. Enemies were easy and predictable, and the fighting space was more open. Second area has harder enemies, MORE enemies, less space, and more dynamic fighting environments. I kind of love it.

One thing I've realized is that I need to focus on progression or farming, not both. If I'm going to attempt to open shortcuts or move forward with the story, I need to stop trying to chop every part off of every enemy. Instead, I need to set aside designated runs/loops for that. I think that will help me focus my play a LOT.

Toxa

If you upgrade your drone with the ramming perk those robots become pretty easy to deal with as they try to repair (?) after your drone attacks which gives you plenty of oppurtunity to deal damage from behind.

how can I get a ramming perk ?

Toxa

Yup!

First area was mostly a walk in the park. Enemies were easy and predictable, and the fighting space was more open. Second area has harder enemies, MORE enemies, less space, and more dynamic fighting environments. I kind of love it.

One thing I've realized is that I need to focus on progression or farming, not both. If I'm going to attempt to open shortcuts or move forward with the story, I need to stop trying to chop every part off of every enemy. Instead, I need to set aside designated runs/loops for that. I think that will help me focus my play a LOT.

my thoughts exactly :D the demo gave me the idea that will be an easy game but I was wrong
and indeed it's very hard to pregress while farming

120v

oh sweet. thought the demo was a weekend only thing that i missed or something

can't wait to finally play this tonight. promised myself no more new games but with that discount... could be tempted.

PAX kicked my ass like 16 times. Fuck that swipe and its outrageous hitbox.

Finally got it tho! Dig the weapon.

How does proficiency scaling work, btw?

Top Bottom