• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Zoink

mrklaw said:
oh well, I've bought it now.

Steroyd, thats worrying - I left mine running the Indy 500 unattended, assuming he'd be lapping everyone even when fully blue (auto pit too). Not a good sign. Will check on him when I get home
You might be lucky, but I left it going last night and ended 10th in a pug 908 with 4 lvl 28 drivers. I probably shouldnt have set autopit on?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
same xp for 1st or 10th? In which case I don't really care for grinding, but I'll manhandle it once for the gold prize car. credits are already shit so losing some of those is irrelevant to me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
expy said:
Hmmmm, no matter how many instructions I give my driver, he can practically never pull a proper passing maneuver. Maybe his level isn't high enough?

No, the AI is terrible no matter the level. I could tell the bastard to "PACE UP" when there is an OBVIOUS FUCKING GAP (whole right/left side of the track on a straight) and the crazy bastard will SNAP (EG: THE CAR WILL SNAP) from being \ <---behind on a slope (if you get what I mean) behind the car I want him to "pace up"/overtake with speed to being | <---directly behind the person I want to overtake.

And "overtake" isn't the sure thing either as half the time they'll slow down in their attempt to "pass"/overtake by spinning around the person instead of speeding up or attempting to overtake.

mrklaw said:
same xp for 1st or 10th? In which case I don't really care for grinding, but I'll manhandle it once for the gold prize car. credits are already shit so losing some of those is irrelevant to me.
That's been my experience. I assume you're talking about bspec.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I cant find a damn truck in the used car dealership. >8(
The truck race is the only one im missing in the amateur level.

Fersis said:

You want to borrow Pam?

4qRGfl.jpg

darkwing

Fersis said:

nah it will come up, most likely the F150, Tacoma is the best though, F150 is trash XD

Goldrusher

Fersis said:
Why don't you do the License tests ? Lots of XP, tons of prize cars, including a truck (bronze IA).

Steroyd

confuziz said:
Yes, he can't handle the daytona one. He brakes in every fucking corner..

I learnt that by equipping softer tyres, they take such corners with more speed. (one of many experiments with indy 500).

mrklaw said:

No that's the shitty part, if that were the case, I wouldn't have made a post bitching about it.

The xp scales depedning on where you place, 1st place nabs you 150k xp, 2nd gets you 99k xp, 9th place gets you fucking 25k xp, it's pissing me off.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Goldrusher said:
Why don't you do the License tests ? Lots of XP, tons of prize cars, including a truck (bronze IA).
Do i get a prize without 'golding' every test?
Will do buddy.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Fersis said:
Do i get a prize without 'golding' every test?
Will do buddy.

There are rewards for bronzing, silvering and golding in increasing quality. But the XP is probably the best thing about it. And learning the tracks.

amar212

gutterboy44 said:
For those of you who haven't experience the shit fest that is acquiring the Formula GT and racing it in the corresponding event, let me highlight some "fun" parts.

-You have to save/grind 4.8 million credits or more
-You will likely see the F1 GT in your used lot just before you have saved enough. A fantastically subversive "fuck you" from GT5
-Every one of your favorite cars you want to buy will appear in your used lot tempting you to blow your saved cash
-As soon as you hit 4.8 mill, expect the F1 GT to return when Halley's Comet does.
-You will need to spend another 500k to rebuild the engine giving you ~936HP
-The F1 GT event is all 20 lap races, you cannot save mid event
-The awful AI is exacerbated by the twitching high grip F1 cars
-There is no qualifying so you have to test out all of the tracks in your F1 car ahead of time to make sure your gearing is perfect
-You will always start each race in 7th. Remember, open wheel F1 racing is all about "tradin' paint"
-You will get spun out numerous times each race on matter how careful you are
-This will be some of the most exhausting challenging driving you will do because on lap 15 you will be smashed by a car and go to last place and have to drive near perfect the rest of the race to win
-You will earn absolutely fuck all for XP
-You could have earned 10x as much $ if you just grinded Indy 5 lap than you would spending half the time completing this event
-The total prize amount for winning every race and golding the event will be less than it costs to rebuild your engine
-You will now have a F1 GT car with less than 840HP because of the event wear and tear
-You will have net lost nearly 6 million credits and several hours of time

+You have an F1 GT car and one event golded

God, what a wonderful piece of writecraft :lol

I love PD, those guys are just subtile smiling sadists since 1997 :D

Can I quote you on my community forum? :D

amar212 said:
God, what a wonderful piece of writecraft :lol

I love PD, those guys are just subtile smiling sadists since 1997 :D

Can I quote you on my community forum? :D

Sure thing. Your initial impressions before everyone else got their hands on GT5 were great.

Completed the first two endurance races over the weekend. Actually had fun with the roadster race but they need loooonger tracks for endurance races. 1 minute laps get repetitive quick.

Goldrusher

Metalmurphy said:
Depends on your level.
If you're level 20+, I have to wonder why you didn't do the Licenses earlier. They won't make a difference now.
But if you do them early on, you'll definitely level up pretty fast and acquire a few useful cars.

Speaking of cars... IIRC you only need to buy the following cars to complete the entire game in both A-spec and B-spec, special events included:

- required starter car
- Ferrari 458 Italia (or an Enzo)
- Lamborghini Gallardo
- Mini Cooper S '07
- Polyphony F1

Goldrusher said:
Depends on your level.
If you're level 20+, I have to wonder why you didn't do the Licenses earlier. They won't make a difference now.
I can't say the cars would have made that much difference to me earlier on either. The only thing I've got that's of any great use is the Truck... and we know why that is. :lol

darkwing

the Indy race in the Extreme American something is a crap shoot in B-spec with a ZR-1 RM, kept on egging on the guy, why the heck does he hard break on corners?? and on the last lap he was first , but on the last two corners he got drafted on by 3 cars NUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!! @*#$@*#$*@

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mush said:
TheSeks, do you still need an Eclipse? I've got one waiting for you. ;)

Is it Black? Because honestly I would love a Black Eclipse. Otherwise Goldrusher got me a Red one yesterday, so I don't really need one. Sorry. :(

the Indy race in the Extreme American something is a crap shoot in B-spec with a ZR-1 RM, kept on egging on the guy, why the heck does he hard break on corners?? and on the last lap he was first , but on the last two corners he got drafted on by 3 cars NUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!! @*#$@*#$*@

Like I said, the obvious fucking thing to do on the track is the LEAST likely thing the AI will do if you give them orders. So frustrating.

Mush said:
Why does GAF like their Eclipse's so much?

Easy to drive plus (IMO) they look pretty (well the '95-'05 series of them do. I don't like the '06 on. :/), even if they're a "girl car" they're a pretty nice "production sportscar" (air-quotes for that) that's easy to drive on the track.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Goldrusher said:
Depends on your level.
But if you do them early on, you'll definitely level up pretty fast and acquire a few useful cars.

Speaking of cars... IIRC you only need to buy the following cars to complete the entire game in both A-spec and B-spec, special events included:

- required starter car
- Ferrari 458 Italia (or an Enzo)
- Lamborghini Gallardo
- Mini Cooper S '07
- Polyphony F1

technically yes, but some prize cars are strangely late in the game compared to when you need them. Eg the Lexus concept which is for the German Touring car event requires you to be about 10 levels higher than the event to actually get it as a prize car. Might as well just buy that.

mrklaw said:
Eg the Lexus concept which is for the German Touring car event requires you to be about 10 levels higher than the event to actually get it as a prize car. Might as well just buy that.
I'm still holding out. :lol

It's the best part of a million that I'd rather not spend on something I'll be getting later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
darkwing said:

minolta is the answer to this series, otherwise as you say its a crapshoot

go take your ZR1 to like the wind in a-spec. Even then I got drafted a lot on indy. Eventually got my corner entry speed right and managed to pull out a 1-second lead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Psychotext said:
I'm still holding out. :lol

It's the best part of a million that I'd rather not spend on something I'll be getting later.

oh, me too, just saying. If you're level 22 and want to do that event, you might as well buy the car. I'm 28 now so I'm waiting it out. Will use the credits to start buying personal favourites.

It is pricey, 999k, but if you see the FTO LM in used car, buy it. It is fantastic. 444hp and only 880kg.

This and the Cebera LM were my two favorite cars in GT1. Now if only I was allowed to paint it into my favorite bright greet FTO color, but nope. Painting all cars will need to wait until GT7: Prologue Preview 6.

darkwing

gutterboy44 said:
It is pricey, 999k, but if you see the FTO LM in used car, buy it. It is fantastic. 444hp and only 880kg.

This and the Cebera LM were my two favorite cars in GT1. Now if only I was allowed to paint it into my favorite bright greet FTO color, but nope. Painting all cars will need to wait until GT7: Prologue Preview 6.

don't tempt me, saving for the PD F1 car :lol

Haha, sorry for the temptation. Get that F1 car and get the hell out of the way. I am now trying to recuperate from my GT5 rage dump from yesterday. I need to find the love again in this game. If only I was paid to race...online.

darkwing

gutterboy44 said:
Haha, sorry for the temptation. Get that F1 car and get the hell out of the way. I am now trying to recuperate from my GT5 rage dump from yesterday. I need to find the love again in this game. If only I was paid to race...online.

i have no doubt they will be coming (online events) , leaderboards are the next update i think because of GT Academy

Well, i have the game for two weeks now, and i´m sitting at 89% of completion. Level 25 on a-spec and 23 on b-spec. Long ass post with some impressions and bitching.

-------

I love the game, but at the same time i hate some decisions they make. At first i thought IGN was bullshiting when they said it was a 10/10 simulator wrapped inside a 5/10 game. I wouldn´t go as far as saying that, but it makes sense. Your enjoyment will come based on how much weight do you give to the first part.

What i hate is, 90% of the flaws with this game are game design decisions, not technichal limitations, which means we are experiencing some flaws we did not needed to see.

I´m wating for the Polyphony F1 to show up so i can complete extreme series on a-spec, and god knows how much i will hate that. My plan is to overtake the cars and never look back so i won´t have to deal with the stupid AI.

Driving is sublime, and it will probably go down as the greatest time trial racing game in history, but the game aspect is just full of little things to make you facepalm.

No qualify
No race again button
No save in the middle of championships, endurances (didn´t Kaz said in an old interview we would be able to save during the endurances? I swear i read that somewhere).
No individual gearing adjustment (Dodge Viper says hello)
No tire pressure adjustment (seriously, we are waiting for this ever since GT2. now, even with a new tire model and Nascar, it´s still not in? WTH are they thinking, tire pressure is THE most basic adjustment even an ordinary sunday cup racer can make).
Used car cycles with only 30 cars in
Traditional PD car roster exquisite choices
XP leveling up (i hate RPG´s and i don´t want that shit in my racing games)
No drifting events
No drag races
We can´t make ovals in the course maker, and we can´t set up P2P full rallies to play it over online
Tog Gear license wasted on crap events, no standing starts are a huge WTF.
Nascar implementation is horrible, shamefull. You can see that if you like Nascars just a bit.
Drafting still sucks, it´s awful for online and needs an option to tone it down.

-----------

Those are some from the top of my head, some of them will really piss you off as you play. Still, believe it or not, i love this game and it´s my GOTY for sure. I just don´t understand why so many stupid design choices were made, clearly not listening to what the starving fan base was clamoring for years.

And also, a couple of questions that i´m surprised nobody has raised before.

What happened with that tuned Mini with some stickers on it, showed in some pics PD sent to some websites? It was a taste of customization, but those options are missing in the final game. (car had numbers on it, some other stickers).

What about the stunt arenas? Held back for GT6?

Remember the first GT5 trailer? It specifically said "WRC", and they said they had the license. Then, on the AGS x-mas trailer, it showed up again, along with the Nascar and SuperGT logos. Turns out GT lost the WRC license and IS NOT on GT5. They have some cars and some drivers, but they don´t have the WRC license. I´m just surprised nobody noticed that PD acquired and then lost the license before GT5 launched.

SuperGT also only makes a "official" appearence on GT TV. We have the cars, but not the names and the full license and rules in play. (thinking of GT500 and GT300 cars running togheter, among other things).

Didn´t Kaz said they were working hard to implement Nascar rules? What happened to that? The GT academy demo even had the indication of yellow flags if you tried to run backwards and enter the pits, so we thought at least we would get that. Final game has none of that. Seeing Nascars without the restrictor plates going up to 400kpm/h on Daytona is a bit weird.

Anyway, you noticed i didn´t mentioned any technichal bugs, because those are easy to understand. I just don´t get why they made so many stupid little decisions trying to spoil an awesome driving experience.

The best thing about it is the fact that 90% of those flaws can be fixed through patches. We can only hope this time they will actually listen to the fan base.

seeds19

Banned
seattle6418 said:
Well, i have the game for two weeks now, and i´m sitting at 89% of completion. Level 25 on a-spec and 23 on b-spec. Long ass post with some impressions and bitching.

-------

I love the game, but at the same time i hate some decisions they make. At first i thought IGN was bullshiting when they said it was a 10/10 simulator wrapped inside a 5/10 game. I wouldn´t go as far as saying that, but it makes sense. Your enjoyment will come based on how much weight do you give to the first part.

What i hate is, 90% of the flaws with this game are game design decisions, not technichal limitations, which means we are experiencing some flaws we did not needed to see.

I´m wating for the Polyphony F1 to show up so i can complete extreme series on a-spec, and god knows how much i will hate that. My plan is to overtake the cars and never look back so i won´t have to deal with the stupid AI.

Driving is sublime, and it will probably go down as the greatest time trial racing game in history, but the game aspect is just full of little things to make you facepalm.

No qualify
No race again button
No save in the middle of championships, endurances (didn´t Kaz said in an old interview we would be able to save during the endurances? I swear i read that somewhere).
No individual gearing adjustment (Dodge Viper says hello)
No tire pressure adjustment (seriously, we are waiting for this ever since GT2. now, even with a new tire model and Nascar, it´s still not in? WTH are they thinking, tire pressure is THE most basic adjustment even an ordinary sunday cup racer can make).
Used car cycles with only 30 cars in
Traditional PD car roster exquisite choices
XP leveling up (i hate RPG´s and i don´t want that shit in my racing games)
No drifting events
No drag races
We can´t make ovals in the course maker, and we can´t set up P2P full rallies to play it over online
Tog Gear license wasted on crap events, no standing starts are a huge WTF.
Nascar implementation is horrible, shamefull. You can see that if you like Nascars just a bit.
Drafting still sucks, it´s awful for online and needs an option to tone it down.

-----------

Those are some from the top of my head, some of them will really piss you off as you play. Still, believe it or not, i love this game and it´s my GOTY for sure. I just don´t understand why so many stupid design choices were made, clearly not listening to what the starving fan base was clamoring for years.

And also, a couple of questions that i´m surprised nobody has raised before.

What happened with that tuned Mini with some stickers on it, showed in some pics PD sent to some websites? It was a taste of customization, but those options are missing in the final game. (car had numbers on it, some other stickers).

What about the stunt arenas? Held back for GT6?

Remember the first GT5 trailer? It specifically said "WRC", and they said they had the license. Then, on the AGS x-mas trailer, it showed up again, along with the Nascar and SuperGT logos. Turns out GT lost the WRC license and IS NOT on GT5. They have some cars and some drivers, but they don´t have the WRC license. I´m just surprised nobody noticed that PD acquired and then lost the license before GT5 launched.

SuperGT also only makes a "official" appearence on GT TV. We have the cars, but not the names and the full license and rules in play. (thinking of GT500 and GT300 cars running togheter, among other things).

Didn´t Kaz said they were working hard to implement Nascar rules? What happened to that? The GT academy demo even had the indication of yellow flags if you tried to run backwards and enter the pits, so we thought at least we would get that. Final game has none of that. Seeing Nascars without the restrictor plates going up to 400kpm/h on Daytona is a bit weird.

Anyway, you noticed i didn´t mentioned any technichal bugs, because those are easy to understand. I just don´t get why they made so many stupid little decisions trying to spoil an awesome driving experience.

The best thing about it is the fact that 90% of those flaws can be fixed through patches. We can only hope this time they will actually listen to the fan base.

And no DTM license, and actual DTM cars, BTW is a great game, much better than expect.

Firewire

Banned
Man I have to start grinding for some serious cash. Need to rest up on b-spec before my second shitty driver makes my head explode.

ElyrionX

I think I'm just going to stick to production cars and not bother with the frustrating race car events. I don't enjoy driving the race cars anyway.

Is there any way for me to time attack the Nurburgring with any car I want and yet earn XP and credits at the same time?

I've learnt that getting a lap ahead is a good idea in the long endurance races. That way when your driver inevitably falls asleep he'll have the guys you recently lapped pushing his aggression back up from time to time. Still a reasonable chance they'll pass you, but better that and having a lap buffer than having nothing.

seattle6418 said:
I wrote a huge list like that on another forum and I think I've got much the same impressions as you on the whole. I think I could write a book on all the annoying niggles I've found as I played.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Psychotext said:
I've learnt that getting a lap ahead is a good idea in the long endurance races. That way when your driver inevitably falls asleep he'll have the guys you recently lapped pushing his aggression back up from time to time. Still a reasonable chance they'll pass you, but better that and having a lap buffer than having nothing.

depends what the car is though. In the Mazda cup, I thought it'd be really close as its a one-make series. But I had an MX-5 NC something, and my drivers would finish 7 laps up on the bottom placed guy, and at least a couple up on 2nd place. Even with auto-pit on (which is really inefficient as a decent driver can seemingly carry on infinitely with no strength as long as you don't shout down his radio)

seattle6418 said:
Well, i have the game for two weeks now, and i´m sitting at 89% of completion. Level 25 on a-spec and 23 on b-spec. Long ass post with some impressions and bitching...

I completely agree. That is what is so damn frustrating. Not only are these simple design decisions that could easily been resolved, they have been present in nearly every iteration of the game in some form or another.

Inexcusable GT Issues
-The AI
-Lack of customization across all cars
-No saving events, especially endurance
-The modeling or aero downforce. This is still a joke. You can crank up full down force on an F1 car an lose virtually zero top end speed. Moreover, your F1 car has no problem catching air over small rollers despite the fact that it's downforce is almost triple the weight of the car. When you can corner with your front tires smoking, actually tightening your turn, let alone understeer. You know your system is broken. They reason this is so offensive is that it makes all of the race cars really dull and borning to drive. They all feel hyper grippy and numb. They have certainly improved in this realm, but GT5 shines with the lower end production cars with low to no downforce.
-The complete lack of original events outside of a select few special events. NASCAR, karts, Drifiting, WRC, etc are all woefully implemented. But don't worry kids, Lupo Cup!

Annoying GT Issues
-The menus are incredibly convoluted and inefficient
-The level of customization on cars
-The decision between Premium and Standard. How the fuck is the F1 GT car not a premium?@! It is your own fucking car you invented! Throw a cockpit in that bitch and call it a day
-Online mode still severely lacking. Hoping for patches
-Only one gift per day
-Tuning options and purchasing parts is identical to GT1 and still painfully slow

Patch/Content Priority
-Online XP and $ . This essentially will create the "events" we all want to sustain our interest in the game as well as lower the feeling of grinding
-Save during events, especially endurance
-Back up GT saves
-More options for online races
-Premium content, moreover, replacing existing Standards with Premiums to increase continuity

Ok... didn't really want to hijack this thread with this but... we was expecting alot more GAF members to participate in this.

6XprZ.png

You can now register to participate in the NEOGAF GT5 Racing League!

You can visit the Official Thread with all the updated rules and you can register into the league through this Registration Form

also

TDVSf.jpg

The NeoGAFer in a Reasonably Priced Car event also started, you can read all the rules on the second post of the OT. The car for this month is the Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95 for 14,600 Credits.

We've only had 5 participants so far... common guys, lets get that board filled with names.

dQ8uk.png

2Invu.png
lKuQ7.png

8z5K6.png
5HI2i.png

EmB2l.png
WlTh9.png

DRCKT.png
6Rmbs.png

xMc80.png
3QmGQ.png

I saw lots of interest in both of them before the game started but now everyone seems to be backing out :/

darkwing

regarding that one gift per day, i think that's to fight off the birthday gift abuse and you guys forgot about the leaderboards

edit: MM. wow i'll just that one lol

darkwing said:
regarding that one gift per day, i think that's to fight off the birthday gift abuse and you guys forgot about the leaderboards

But once again, such a stupid design decision. Just make it so your B-day car can not be sold or gifted. Boom! Done, open up the trading and fun floodgates. It sucks wasting your only gift per day on an item of paint or turbo charger. I would have so much fun giving out presents right now to GAF. I would have Turbo Tuesdays, and Medium Mondays where I give out free sets of medium tires to people. Stupid fun stuff like that would be great, especially with holidays. But nope, you can only gift a single item or car per day.

darkwing said:

I haven´t forgotten about the leaderboards. It´s huuuge for me. I´m still believing it´s coming in a patch later this month.

If it takes a while to show up, then i´ll be mad. :(

Disclaimer: GT academy doesn´t mean leaderboards will magically show up. They might as well set up the event and only the leaderboards for that. What´s funny is the fact that leaderboards for GT5 Prologue and GT HD demo still work! (last time i checked).

darkwing

gutterboy44 said:
But once again, such a stupid design decision. Just make it so your B-day car can not be sold or gifted. Boom! Done, open up the trading and fun floodgates. It sucks wasting your only gift per day on an item of paint or turbo charger. I would have so much fun giving out presents right now to GAF. I would have Turbo Tuesdays, and Medium Mondays where I give out free sets of medium tires to people. Stupid fun stuff like that would be great, especially with holidays. But nope, you can only gift a single item or car per day.

lol i get your point, but yes it is very easy to love/hate this game, i sure hope leaderboards will come on soon, part of the appeal in GT5P were you just drive around for hours trying to shave off seconds from your laptime

darkwing

seattle6418 said:
I haven´t forgotten about the leaderboards. It´s huuuge for me. I´m still believing it´s coming in a patch later this month.

If it takes a while to show up, then i´ll be mad. :(

Disclaimer: GT academy doesn´t mean leaderboards will magically show up. They might as well set up the event and only the leaderboards for that. What´s funny is the fact that leaderboards for GT5 Prologue and GT HD demo still work! (last time i checked).

yeah pretty strange why it wasn't there at launch, i'm just guessing they guessed the server traffic would be bad, but yeah sometimes you wonder if Kaz was stuck in a time loop , i feel like i'm playing old GT games sometimes :lol

Top Bottom